Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
To be fair to Almond, they do live in a world where pretty much everyone except Cuco considers it perfectly normal that when the Nightmare Knight appears to threaten all creation, the Dream Oracle, supernatural Protector of the World, picks a literal child to be the Hero who goes on an adventure to defeat him and all his Disaster Masters without any training or guidance. Plus, the last time this happened it worked out absolutely fine for the Hero. (The last 99 times even, not that they knew that at the start.) It's not her fault that this is the point where the whole 500,000 year cycle goes off the rails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Apraxin posted:

To be fair to Almond, they do live in a world where pretty much everyone except Cuco considers it perfectly normal that when the Nightmare Knight appears to threaten all creation, the Dream Oracle, supernatural Protector of the World, picks a literal child to be the Hero who goes on an adventure to defeat him and all his Disaster Masters without any training or guidance. Plus, the last time this happened it worked out absolutely fine for the Hero. (The last 99 times even, not that they knew that at the start.) It's not her fault that this is the point where the whole 500,000 year cycle goes off the rails.

Most of those people never get close enough to the conflict to notice the seams, though. Almond is right in the thick of it, and once her heroism high wore off even she was able to see that not everything in this situation was on the up and up. But instead of stepping back and evaluating things she just doubled down over and over again, and people are now getting hurt because she can't get over her self-righteous attitude.

In that respect she's no different from all the heroes who came before her, but by all appearances they were all horrible people too. Just look at Cabbage!

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Apraxin posted:

It seems more likely that the first time was just dumb luck, and every time since NK has been throwing the fight. But the Oracle probably has some hidden agenda too, so who knows.

(Also, the length of the cycle has always really bothered me, given the vast technological and cultural differences you'd expect over even a fraction of that time. Maybe there's an upcoming explanation, but until then it's going to bug me that it couldn't have just been the traditional 1,000 year interval.)

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Carrasco posted:

It seems more likely that the first time was just dumb luck, and every time since NK has been throwing the fight. But the Oracle probably has some hidden agenda too, so who knows.

(Also, the length of the cycle has always really bothered me, given the vast technological and cultural differences you'd expect over even a fraction of that time. Maybe there's an upcoming explanation, but until then it's going to bug me that it couldn't have just been the traditional 1,000 year interval.)

Maybe that's what the Oracle wants from keeping the cycle going. No more progress and everything stays in relative peace and normality for most of 1000 years

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

In fantasy and science fiction, any time you see a number, divide it by 10 until it makes sense.

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

nerdman42 posted:

Maybe that's what the Oracle wants from keeping the cycle going. No more progress and everything stays in relative peace and normality for most of 1000 years

Alternatively she's just tapping into the same emotional powersource as NK, and just wants to keep the mystical gravy train running

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Oxxidation posted:

Most of those people never get close enough to the conflict to notice the seams, though. Almond is right in the thick of it, and once her heroism high wore off even she was able to see that not everything in this situation was on the up and up. But instead of stepping back and evaluating things she just doubled down over and over again, and people are now getting hurt because she can't get over her self-righteous attitude.
Has Almond really seen any of that apart from 'the Oracle is useless and a bit shifty' though? Rosemaster and NK opened up on their real motivations to other characters, but they both deliberately played up the BWAH HAH I AM EVIL thing to her, Noisemaster seemed ready to blow up a city with a laser, and Splashmaster was attacking people. I don't think she's had the opportunity that the rest of the party have had to see how dodgy everything is.

Edit: I mean, i'm not gonna say giving the bad guys the key to resurrecting NK wasn't a real bad idea, but people seem really harsh on Almond's failings compared to the rest of the cast.

Carrasco posted:

For sure that's what's been going on behind the scenes (second time was genuine too, I think, NK says he offered the second hero peace and got turned down then defeated), but up until this cycle no-one except NK himself plus maybe the Oracle and Glitchmaster knew that though.

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 22, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Carrasco posted:

The cycle is given in bunny years, which are approximately 33.3 times shorter than a human year. NK has actually been coming back every ~150 years.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
Almond makes terrible decisions because she is a literal child, and has a poor grasp of 'delayed gratification' in the form of "I grew old and had grandchildren without a terrible god-wizard being released to murder people all over the world" like might appeal to an adult. Children are also notorious for being even more likely than adults to try to pretend they didn't do something wrong so that they can avoid the punishment, even when they know they really messed up, so Almond's behaviour is completely understandable and likely. It doesn't give her a pass, but it's not like she's a corporate head throwing employees under the bus to further her personal agenda or anything despicable like that.

She really needed the confrontation, though. She's a kid, but she made a decision that kids shouldn't really make (although most of the adults in bunny world are also... unwise) with very adult consequences, and she's often reacted by diving back into the childhood shell to avoid facing the truth. She chose to become this world's Designated Adult, and although it's not necessarily fair to deposit that one on her for a single childish mistake, it's also not fair for her to fob that duty off on her brother either - particularly because he was the one trying to help her not make the mistake in the first place.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Honest question: what would have been a better way to tell it to her?

I actually disagree that Almond would be unable to listen to Cuco about it right now, I think she's in a very good place to listen, as she realises that it's not fun, it's not a game and she's made a serious mistake that she might not be able to fix. I think a situation where she got to have some time to look at how she was feeling in respect to the situation as a whole and what Cuco was trying to tell her would have been better.

But this is in an ideal world, where they aren't running from one danger to the next and are able to take some time for introspection. I think Almond is getting a hard ride from people here, but that doesn't mean she should be absolved of guilt or anything like that.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Cucumber gave it to her straight. That's the best thing to do - Let people learn the gravity of the situation, come to grips with it, then go and comfort/support them.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

WarpedNaba posted:

Cucumber gave it to her straight. That's the best thing to do - Let people learn the gravity of the situation, come to grips with it, then go and comfort/support them.

What I was saying has nothing in particular to do with comforting/supporting her in the sense of telling her everything is going to be okay. Helping someone to deal with what's going on and what they're feeling has to start with them seeing the situation for what it really is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-753/

It's da gurls.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I actually wonder what Cordelia's part in the whole cycle will be. Normally, she'd be doomed to a karmic death at NK's hands right before the final battle, but with things the way they are...

Will she go Magus at the end?

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Poison Mushroom posted:

I actually wonder what Cordelia's part in the whole cycle will be. Normally, she'd be doomed to a karmic death at NK's hands right before the final battle, but with things the way they are...

Will she go Magus at the end?

Cordelia is like two pages away from yelling "what! no! I was supposed to be in control of this power!" before either being annihilated or possessed. Probably the latter.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

That smug Peridot at the bottom of the page, it is so precious

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Archenteron posted:

That smug Peridot at the bottom of the page, it is so precious

"Oh god Almond's here time for a smug face be cool be cool smug face be cool :ohdear:"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Cucumber's frowning.

No more mister nice nerd.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

The contrast between Cordelia and Peridot is hilarious.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Carrasco posted:

Cordelia is like two pages away from yelling "what! no! I was supposed to be in control of this power!" before either being annihilated or possessed. Probably the latter.
Peridot just opened up to Nightmare Knight about how she sees Cordelia as a surrogate mum though. Would be a real (and out of character) dick move on his part if he immediately sent Cordelia off after some forbidden power that he knows is going to destroy her.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Maybe Nightmare Knight is actually evil and has been playing 11-dimensional chess all along! The cookies are actually to ruin Peridot's teeth and diet.

WFGuy
Feb 18, 2011

Press X to jump, then press X again!
Toilet Rascal
It's always wonderful to see just how much Cordelia enjoys being villainous.

Obligatory, since Waffleman only posted the first: 754 and 755.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Carrasco posted:

I feel like she's already had that scene, back in the castle, with Nightmare Knight.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Apraxin posted:

Peridot just opened up to Nightmare Knight about how she sees Cordelia as a surrogate mum though. Would be a real (and out of character) dick move on his part if he immediately sent Cordelia off after some forbidden power that he knows is going to destroy her.

Yeah I agree. I think he is genuinely offering her power here. Maybe this is even something that will set her on the road to being the NK v2.0. That can't be the worst outcome from his standpoint. He sees that Cordelia is kind to her underlings and that she wants power and to rule the world. Cordelia has every reason to take care of the disaster masters and not undermine their efforts. NK doesn't know that Rosemaster at least doesn't want to fight either, so he'd probably suspect that all the masters would love to follow someone who is actually intent on conquering the world, etc etc.

So if he feels stuck in this cycle, this might look like a possible out even if a bit cowardly.

He doesn't need to do something fancy to sabotage Cordelia if that was his goal with this. I mean he was already doing that before. What was gonna happen if he kept stopping the disaster masters and the heroes eventually made it to the front gate of caketown castle? Nothing good for Cordelia at any rate. So this has to be something different.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 4, 2016

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
So after binging through Paranatural last week, I just finished getting through the CQ archives. This is a real good comic, guys! One thing I'm trying to figure out: does Gigi have a regular update schedule at this point?
Also I'm very excited that it looks like Peridot's gonna be around a lot this chapter. She's clearly the cutest thing about this comic.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

She's never been incredibly regular, but lately it's been even less regular than usual. She seems to have started posting several pages at once, only once a week or so.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

She's never been incredibly regular, but lately it's been even less regular than usual. She seems to have started posting several pages at once, only once a week or so.

It's worth emphasizing that most updates nowadays are multiple pages, which probably average out to a few pages a week. It's honestly better than the paranatural guy's "two days per week!!! except actually one page every other week"

Like he doesn't owe us a more frequent update schedule or anything, it's just that paranatural's pacing has become slower than molasses and it's exacerbated by the long wait times.

smug n stuff posted:

Also I'm very excited that it looks like Peridot's gonna be around a lot this chapter. She's clearly the cutest thing about this comic.

Peridot is the absolute best and I'm super bummed we didn't get to watch the whole Punisher Pumice episode with her and NK. Their interactions have become the most adorable part of this adorable comic.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 8, 2016

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I'm rereading the series myself and man. Does anyone else remember when almond straight up killed splash master and there was a happy "mission complete" splash page and everyone was in good spirits

Also noisemaster remains the best character in the comic

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fecha posted:

I'm rereading the series myself and man. Does anyone else remember when almond straight up killed splash master and there was a happy "mission complete" splash page and everyone was in good spirits

Wasn't it about then Cu got the bad news about the whole thing being a cycle?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

ConanThe3rd posted:

Wasn't it about then Cu got the bad news about the whole thing being a cycle?
A little bit earlier, actually. When they were looking for Splashmaster's lair.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure
Update!

Huh.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
:ohdear:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Surely its time for the Team Cordelia and Team Cucumber team up arc

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Five is a good party size.

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
You forgot that dad is a full time villain. Just because he comes home and makes cookies and watches TV with you doesn't mean he isn't pulling an 80 hour workweek being the evilest motherfucker around. Just cause mom wants a job doesn't mean she gets one for free.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Goddamnit, Imoen, you just had to taunt Demogorgon, didn't you?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Depending on the Forsaken Master's gimmick here, NK may either be completely blameless or setting up the greatest gaslight in history. "Ah, you see, his power was already released. That wasn't what you read -- it was what you were most afraid to read."

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Underlings getting rebellious? Give them what they ask for. It's a win-win.

Cordelia fails? No more catmom arguing with you. She succeeds? She knows not to screw around with forbidden crap again.

NK continues to be best chessmaster.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Cordelia's Attack/Defense/Special are all listed as "?" and, as far as I can remember, we've never seen her actually do anything besides sit around swirling wine, so I guess it's time to find out if those claws are good for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Carrasco posted:

Cordelia's Attack/Defense/Special are all listed as "?" and, as far as I can remember, we've never seen her actually do anything besides sit around swirling wine, so I guess it's time to find out if those claws are good for anything.

*juice for grown-ups