Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Observe Me posted:

Expected the tape to do something, but didn't expect it to be a plot item to get someone back to the house to find.....SOMETHING!
If it's not Mobley, Trenton, or both, I'll be surprised.

Krime posted:

Was expecting a "Bonsoir, Elliot." At the end there
Joanna was the more likely answer, but I was definitely expecting Tyrell.

Steve112sms posted:

Anyway I think the point of that scene was to make the audience uncertain as to whether Angela was just being paranoid or if E-Corp has a plant in the NRC and was going to take her out.
Given that what we see is what is actually there unless Elliot's in the scene, there was definitely something sus going on. At the very least, Deputy Director Phelps was trying to coerce her into something or scare her off.

Megaspel posted:

So I just binged through both seasons and I think it's safe to say that the entire show is just an elaborate fantasy an autistic Elliot made up while staring into a snow globe with an E Corp building inside.
I've been saying this since half way through season one.

Paperhouse posted:

I don't mind the use of them, but you can tell that it's probably not someone that interesting at the door because it would be a much better cliffhanger to reveal who it was otherwise. Like, if it was Tyrell or something, then that's much better being the last shot of an episode rather than the first shot of the next one.
Depends. Not revealing it forces the audience to think about who it is. Revealing it forces the audience to think about why they're there. Depending on circumstances, one of those is generally going to be a more interesting question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Escobarbarian posted:

I'm so confused about whether or not Fight Club the movie is actually meant to be satirical about masculinity and "gently caress the system maaaan" and stuff. I had assumed it was for years until I actually rewatched it recently and all the "all-singing all- dancing crap of the world" type of poo poo seems to be played legitimately earnestly. Plus why would Fincher disavow it so much if he viewed it as a satire all along?
Sorry that this is from a few pages back (had to watch the episode before catching up with the thread), but that scene is the one where the film comes out of joint, right? I don't know the right words for it; like, the frame starts vibrating and you can see the whatchacallits--those holes in a film reel than run along the sides that are used to feed it through the projector--on the screen for a second or two.

Anyway, if I'm remembering the scene right, the movie is telling you in a pretty literal way that he's off the rails, not just because of Tyler, but because he's talking crazy-talk. Point is, they really were trying to make a satirical movie. Whether they succeeded or not is debatable though, because stuff like that is hard to catch (I think I heard someone point it out in a commentary; may've been in an article I read though).

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 2, 2016

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
drat they aren't even trying to hide the fact that she's a blowjob queen

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

With regards to cliffhangers, remember that most of the people who watch the show are going to be doing it in a binge-watch at some point later. So it's really just a technique to get a person to start up the next video.

Annoying, yes, but come on guys, we can live with it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I'm intrigued what the hell the mysterious plant is doing 🤔

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Tenzarin posted:

Did he take the dog for that reason?

The dude was being a real dick head to the dog when he took it out to go to the bathroom which Elliot saw.

ashpanash posted:

With regards to cliffhangers, remember that most of the people who watch the show are going to be doing it in a binge-watch at some point later. So it's really just a technique to get a person to start up the next video.

Goosebumps had the worst cliff hangers ever!

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Mr. Powers posted:

I have this nagging feeling that they are building up to something completely fictional. The show has been pretty grounded in reality, but I really just have a feeling they are going either sci-fi or supernatural with Washington Township. Wether they do or don't, I will be entertained.

Same, I posted about this after White Rose alternative dimension talk.

I had that feeling for half a second when Rome went on a ramble about the Arcade being some vortex of Evil. Of course I discarded it than but some of the recent events are pretty spooky. Also Sam Esmail saying the "enduring mystery" of Lynch's Twin Peaks as being his biggest (television) inspiration in an interview made me feel that Mr.Robot might go into a sort of Lynchian metaphysics. Just a possibility though,.

This season is definitely focusing on evocative moods more than hard gritty politics.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I finally got around to watching Stranger Things this week and finished it Tuesday night. Wednesday's Mr. Robot episode was a little unsettling when the brownouts started.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

AtraMorS posted:

Sorry that this is from a few pages back (had to watch the episode before catching up with the thread), but that scene is the one where the film comes out of joint, right? I don't know the right words for it; like, the frame starts vibrating and you can see the whatchacallits--those holes in a film reel than run along the sides that are used to feed it through the projector--on the screen for a second or two.

Anyway, if I'm remembering the scene right, the movie is telling you in a pretty literal way that he's off the rails, not just because of Tyler, but because he's talking crazy-talk. Point is, they really were trying to make a satirical movie. Whether they succeeded or not is debatable though, because stuff like that is hard to catch (I think I heard someone point it out in a commentary; may've been in an article I read though).

I haven't really read up much on Fincher's post-Fight Club assessment of the film, but I figure he's pretty resentful of the culture it created especially since it obviously is a satire. There's one story I do know about his daughter telling him her friend Max at school called Fight Club his favorite movie and Fincher's response was "Don't ever talk to Max again."

ashpanash posted:

poo poo, Charles Dickens used to pull bullshit cliffhangers all the time when his books were being written as serials. "Oh no the cops are here, Pip!" "Just kidding, they're here to deliver a holiday ham! On to something completely unrelated."

Was it 24 that got everybody wild about cliffhangers at the end of every episode? I'd say Mr. Robot is a 50/50 chance if an episode is gonna end on a cliffhanger or not.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I think it's more like 25/75. Having an unresolved story at the end of an episode happens a lot but true "must see next episode now!" cliffhangers aren't all that common.

This guy
Jul 29, 2007
YES
Hey game dudes, Cohen hosed off on me three days ago and I don't have options to text anyone. Is there something I'm missing or did the game break on me?

Highblood
May 20, 2012

Let's talk about tactics.
My friend started watching this and he didn't guess anything that happened. Now he started season 2 and he guesses right away that his whole routine life isn't real. I just wanted to say "Shut up you're gonna ruin it"

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Highblood posted:

My friend started watching this and he didn't guess anything that happened. Now he started season 2 and he guesses right away that his whole routine life isn't real. I just wanted to say "Shut up you're gonna ruin it"

You know I really didn't feel like Esmail was intending people to not guess that something was not as it seemed with Elliot's story. Even in season 1 I've seen a lot of people feel like the Elliot/Mr. Robot duality was pretty obvious. Maybe some people didn't see it coming, but I think the reveal in season 1 was pretty telegraphed not that it is a bad thing either.

The great part about the reveal in both seasons is that they still both work and are incredibly satisfying even if you've guessed what is going to happen.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

This guy posted:

Hey game dudes, Cohen hosed off on me three days ago and I don't have options to text anyone. Is there something I'm missing or did the game break on me?

I'm in same boat and from browsing reddit about issue I think we are hosed

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
In season one, everyone was so fixated on the expected Mr Robot reveal that they didn't see the Darlene sibling twist.

This show is art.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nobody saw the Darlene twist coming because it makes no goddamn sense. It's a complete out-of-the-rear end pull for the show to go "oh yeah, so actually Elliott doesn't realize huge chunks of reality, bee tee dubs" - and a testament to the show's writing that they still made it work.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
^ It made perfect sense.

SpaceAceJase posted:

This show is art.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

SpaceAceJase posted:

In season one, everyone was so fixated on the expected Mr Robot reveal that they didn't see the Darlene sibling twist.

This show is art.
Yeah I wrote about this stuff a few weeks ago in here. The parallel of Mr-Robot-dad-imaginary/elliot's-in-jail means we still need a darlene-is-sister twist for this season that nobody sees coming. I don't really feel like "stage 2 was his idea" is enough of one though I could see next episode making it so if it explains it well enough.

And yes, I agree with the statement that even if you know the twists, they're still revealed so damned well that they're super entertaining anyway. That's the sign of an actually-good twist. Bad twists are ones that actually don't make sense (Darlene-sister did make sense when you go back and watch pre-that-episode) or just aren't entertaining when they come to fruition, whether you guess them or not.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I loved the negotiation between Price and Jung out in the rain. Really hits home how much Price is exactly where he belongs at the top of E Corp. I loved his monologue capped off with a burn about being out of time.

I'm still not convinced that Tyrell is dead. If Stage 2 is Mr. Robot's plan (not Elliot's, this is a key distinction) and Mr. Robot was in control when Tyrell was "killed" then Elliot is still in the dark. Of course Mr. Robot told Elliot that Tyrell was dead when the two came to terms in the basement of the jail, but that was only to get Elliot to lay off about it. Then there's the phone call in jail where Elliot snaps back at the very end to hear Tyrell's "Bonsoir, Elliot" after Mr. Robot hands him the phone. Tyrell is out doing something for Mr. Robot, but the question is what?

It makes me think that Elliot, Darlene, and Angela are all important to Whiterose for one reason or another when everything seems to come back to the Washington Township plant. I wonder how much Elliot knows about it and how it ties into his plan, because it must be in there somehow, either to raze E Corp to the ground or something worse.

And I like how if hacking were kung fu then Elliot is the master. Don't gently caress with him when it comes to computers, but also don't ask him to do literally anything else because hacking is all he's good at.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Shoren posted:

And I like how if hacking were kung fu then Elliot is the master. Don't gently caress with him when it comes to computers, but also don't ask him to do literally anything else because hacking is all he's good at.

I really enjoyed whiterose's reaction to hearing her minion spoke to Elliot "Give me your phone immediately, it's bugged" *click*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
My thinking is that Mr. Robot is faking this whole inter-self recognition and mutual understanding with his other personality because now that Elliott knows the truth about him Mr. Robot needs a different method of keeping Elliott out of the loop so he's trying to lull him into complacency.

Also Trenton/Colby/Darlene all saw Dom. We know this because Dom already knocked on Angela's door earlier in the episode so she is an experienced door-knocker and she was able to be in 3 places at once because Trenton, Colby and Darlene are all really the same person, WWE Superstar John Cena.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm sorry I completely somehow missed it but what is stage 2?

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

precision posted:

Nobody saw the Darlene twist coming because it makes no goddamn sense. It's a complete out-of-the-rear end pull for the show to go "oh yeah, so actually Elliott doesn't realize huge chunks of reality, bee tee dubs" - and a testament to the show's writing that they still made it work.

You should rewatch season 1 if you feel that way.

Darlene's character makes no sense without that context. It was rubbing me wrong the first time but I figured it was TV and she was supposed to be whimsical.

Nope. Everything that seemed like a mistake was deliberate.

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's Elliot's (or Mr. Robot's) plan, as yet unrevealed.

Rarity posted:

My thinking is that Mr. Robot is faking this whole inter-self recognition and mutual understanding with his other personality because now that Elliott knows the truth about him Mr. Robot needs a different method of keeping Elliott out of the loop so he's trying to lull him into complacency.

I thought about this too but I think it would be unsatisfying given so much of the season was devoted to moving their relationship forward. Something is definitely coming though.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's very weird for me that the best spoken Chinese in the show is done by the dark army minion. B d Wong is pretty bad

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's your plan, you should know :rimshot:

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

DaveKap posted:

Yeah I wrote about this stuff a few weeks ago in here. The parallel of Mr-Robot-dad-imaginary/elliot's-in-jail means we still need a darlene-is-sister twist for this season that nobody sees coming. I don't really feel like "stage 2 was his idea" is enough of one though I could see next episode making it so if it explains it well enough.

And yes, I agree with the statement that even if you know the twists, they're still revealed so damned well that they're super entertaining anyway. That's the sign of an actually-good twist. Bad twists are ones that actually don't make sense (Darlene-sister did make sense when you go back and watch pre-that-episode) or just aren't entertaining when they come to fruition, whether you guess them or not.

See I figured the twist we didn't see coming was Leon being Dark Army. Surprised the poo poo out of me, and it was in the same episode as the prison reveal, much like season 1's format.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

The Saddest Rhino posted:

It's very weird for me that the best spoken Chinese in the show is done by the dark army minion. B d Wong is pretty bad
Yeah. My Mandarin is pretty crap, but my wife's from Beijing so I have good handle on what it should sound like and... that's not it. I really like the actor otherwise.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fight Club is a good movie

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Zzulu posted:

Fight Club is a good movie
Yep.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Ersatz posted:

Yeah. My Mandarin is pretty crap, but my wife's from Beijing so I have good handle on what it should sound like and... that's not it. I really like the actor otherwise.

I think B.D. Wong doesn't speak Mandarin because the couple of times they had his character speak it in Law and Order SVU, it was another actor ADR'd in. My friend said it sounds like he learned it phonetically.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

sticklefifer posted:

See I figured the twist we didn't see coming was Leon being Dark Army. Surprised the poo poo out of me, and it was in the same episode as the prison reveal, much like season 1's format.
Y'know what? Yeah. I'll take that.

BTW I am now reminded of what this season is missing. A proper long take. We got the amazing one from season 1 to top and this season has had a couple of them but they weren't even close to season 1's in quality and length so I'm thinking we still have something in store, yes?

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
I am pretty sure Elliot has the same condition as the guy in Memento, that is why he doesn't remember his sister or the fact he planned phase 2.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Dr. Josef Mengele posted:

I am pretty sure Elliot has the same condition as the guy in Memento, that is why he doesn't remember his sister or the fact he planned phase 2.

He may have similar symptoms but that doesn't mean he has the same disease. I mean they're both drastically different symptoms anyway.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
He aint got no disease, he's just a super genius

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
That whole bit about moses also hearing voices and that, and it making sense to him, leads me to believe he's going to develop bad schizophrenia. My mate's dad had that happen to him, ended up thinking he was God.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

a dog from hell posted:

You should rewatch season 1 if you feel that way.

Darlene's character makes no sense without that context. It was rubbing me wrong the first time but I figured it was TV and she was supposed to be whimsical.

Nope. Everything that seemed like a mistake was deliberate.

Season 1 Darlene character works well both ways, I think, and that's the beauty of it

First time she seems like this crazy, extroverted girl, taking liberties and forcing intimacy with super-nerd Elliot, seemingly because she had a romantic interest in him. I honestly expected that they would have an affair eventually (and Elliot obviously had the same idea)

And then, it wanst any of that. Her character takes 180º turn and everything still fits, but diffrently. Her character makes sense when you know it and when you dont, is just the sense is completely different in each case

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Sep 3, 2016

MorphineMike
Nov 4, 2010
Cisco totally walked in on Trenton and Mobley loving on the floor the other side of the couch

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

MorphineMike posted:

Cisco totally walked in on Trenton and Mobley loving on the floor the other side of the couch

I'd like a nice surprise like that for once. The show has great nasty surprises but the odd nice one would be great.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.
I thought it was weird that they glossed over the fact that Darlene didn't trust Cisco at the end of last week's episode, so much so, that she demolished his computer and supposedly took a bat to his head, yet in this episode he doesn't have any wounds and she seems to be relatively ok with him now.

I know sometimes they skip ahead and then go back to show you what they skipped over, but it just seemed really jarring to me in this instance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He had a big ole bruise on the side of his head and at the beginning of their scene you could hear him making some excuses.

• Locked thread