Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dirk the Average posted:

Mowgli will almost certainly win, but my vote is Roy because I'm a terrible person.

Yeah, but will it be spelled right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'll make sure it is.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The obvious name is clearly Wolf.

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
The Veldt is a pretty dangerous place for the unaware. I'd like to believe that it's the fantasy equivalent of Australia. And everyone in Mobliz has an Australian accent. The boy who roams the wild savanna spends so much time with the wild creatures that he can mimic their behavior. He would make Steve Irwin very proud. Therefore, his name should be Steve.

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

DentD posted:

The Veldt is a pretty dangerous place for the unaware. I'd like to believe that it's the fantasy equivalent of Australia. And everyone in Mobliz has an Australian accent. The boy who roams the wild savanna spends so much time with the wild creatures that he can mimic their behavior. He would make Steve Irwin very proud. Therefore, his name should be Steve.

Okay Steve is the only good name so far

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Name him Fart. Fart is a good name.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

CPColin posted:

Name him Fart. Fart is a good name.

I like this one.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?
Mowgli. It works.

DentD posted:

The Veldt is a pretty dangerous place for the unaware. I'd like to believe that it's the fantasy equivalent of Australia. And everyone in Mobliz has an Australian accent. The boy who roams the wild savanna spends so much time with the wild creatures that he can mimic their behavior.

The Veldt is absolutely Final Fantasy Australia. Everything there is trying to kill you.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
One more for Mowgli.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Come on, guys! He's 13, he does dumb impressions, you feed him to get him into your party, and there's something not right with him. He is clearly Bobby (Hill).

Also I think LeaveMyWife broke his own spoiler rule in that update, but I'm not going to quote it and risk breaking it myself.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

:ssh:

Andy Waltfeld
Dec 18, 2009
That dang ol' Bobby can be a little firecracker if you let 'im, I tell you what.

ParanoidLogician
Jul 24, 2012

Where did the punster go when he was defeated? The "punitentiary"!
Bobby, what the Hell? What's this Rage business? You better start actin' like a typical Blue Mage or I'm gonna kick your rear end!

ParanoidLogician fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 3, 2016

Moxie
Aug 2, 2003

Change my vote from Steve to Bobby

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

Let's go with Bobby

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Bobby.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bobby is way better than Mowgli

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

BOBBEH

Fudge Handsome
Jan 29, 2011

Shall we do it?
Voting for Bobby. It's the perfect name.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Bobby sounds good just cuz

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Changing my vote to Mowgli since Reptar isn't gaining any traction.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Bobby

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

DentD posted:

Doesn't look like it's going to win but I'm still voting for Steve.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Well I guess I have to vote for Steve.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Another vote for Mowgli.

Also, what the hell's wrong with those portraits? Is that non-integer scaling? :gonk:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Mowgli

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

GunnerJ posted:

Oh good, now I can post this:

This made it all worth it.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
That boy ain't right...

Bobby

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
I'm going with Mowgli.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

That boy ain't right.

Trump Card
Jun 25, 2008

HEY GUYS
That boy only needs the bare necessities

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

While Bobby had a massive, quick, following, Mowgli was our actual winner!

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Hey, everyone, I'm involved in a stream! Won't you come check it out?

:ducksiren:http://www.hitbox.tv/sourceelement:ducksiren:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

While Bobby had a massive, quick, following, Mowgli was our actual winner!
Ugh, should have gotten in earlier. I've got a good one for a future character, though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Leavemywife posted:

Hey, everyone, I'm involved in a stream! Won't you come check it out?

:ducksiren:http://www.hitbox.tv/sourceelement:ducksiren:

I was at work at the time. Also, it's a shame the (PM:TTYD) LP stopped. :(

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

I was at work at the time. Also, it's a shame the (PM:TTYD) LP stopped. :(

Same, forgot about it til now.

On the other hand, my browser is much happier not having a massive coronary every time I'd load that thread.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's for the best, really. I wasn't enjoying making it, and had run out of things to say in the middle of chapter 2. Chapters 4 and 6 were yet to come :shepicide:

There's only so many ways you can say "We're backtracking. Again. God dammit."

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Update Nineteen: Jack Meets A Hooker

Howdy, folks, and welcome back to Final Fantasy VI Advance! Last time, Leave and Jack roamed the Veldt and met Mowgli, the wild child of the plains. They recruited him with some beef jerky and Mowgli offered them his shiny, shiny treasure in return. In this update, we'll finally be getting back to Narshe, so let's roll.

But first, we have to get through this little cave area.

However, before we do that, let's check out most of Mowgli's Rage list.

Mowgli is a huge gimmick character.

He can learn monsters' attacks and use Rage to fight as that monster, taking on their characteristics and certain attacks of theirs.

Some monsters have Rages that give you attacks they don't normally have access to, like instant death attacks or powerful spells.

Rage puts Mowgli into a sort of Berserk state, where you can no longer control him or choose attacks for him to use; after selecting a Rage, he goes on auto-pilot.

Inside the Crescent Mountain, Mowgli begins his search for his treasure.

Meanwhile, Leave and Jack can't seem to figure out that's what he's up to.

Well, it's no light bulb, but it gets the idea across.

We already knew that :ssh:

:doh:

We've got to cross the cave to find it, but there are no random encounters. There's a Potion in here, but who gives a poo poo?

Coming up here gets us a sorta hidden scene.

If you threw your treasure off the cliff, Mowgli, you're going to find it.

Mowgli slowly sneaks up on Leave...

And scares the piss out of him..

Robbing him in the process.

I'm pretty sure this actually took 500 Gil out of our total.

Little rear end in a top hat...

Mowgli hunts around a little bit, since his treasure is right around here. It's not like there's a whole lot to this cave; you've seen the majority of it.

So...Mowgli stole the town's only diving helmet. Because it was shiny.

In short, Mowgli is an rear end in a top hat.

While Jack is a little judgemental.

It won't be the silliest poo poo we do in this game, I assure you.

Only one way to find out!

Though, how the hell are three of you supposed to use it...Are you going to share?

Meh, details.

Outside of the cave, Leave and Jack pause before diving into the trench.

Remember, Jack's the eloquent one around here.

Dive on in, Leave, this was your brilliant plan.

Oh, they think you're dead anyways. What's the hurry?

Mowgli, as per the FF Wiki, is afraid of heights. I'm not sure why that's a known fact, but hey, whatever makes this seem more informative.

You already said that!

But, off they go!

It's okay, Mowgli. Just dive off.

:ducksiren:So, the Serpent Trench doesn't lend itself well to screenshots. Have a video, if you're interested.:ducksiren:

As mentioned above, I don't think I'm capable of making this journey interesting, so the video covers the fine details of the Serpent Trench, while the following screenshots are going to do the highlights.

You'll get a couple of choices going through the Trench, where you can choose to go left or right.

You can find two treasure caves going through here, which hold a Green Beret and an X-Potion.

And that's that.

We wash up in a new town, and we're only a hop, skip, and a jump away from Narshe.

I'd like to hit the shops while I'm here, but there's also another scene that's worth seeing, even if it doesn't matter in the long run.

So we're going to tool around Nikeah for a little bit.

I have to admit, I wouldn't expect such a thing. Especially if you're importing and exporting.

Well, let's see your selection!

...Jesus, if that's what you've got, I'm going to try and discourage you.

Mowgli gets a Kenpo Gi here, but nothing else is bought.

Meanwhile, the weapon and item shops have nothing we haven't seen before. If you hadn't jacked Mog's spear from the beginning of the game, you could finally buy one for Remain here, if you're into that sort of thing.

We'll finish things off in this city by making the update title make sense.

Before we do that, though, let's talk to this old lady.

In case you weren't sure, the crazy guy we met earlier, who thought we were the repairmen, was Mowgli's dad, and he's completely insane.

Driven to madness by his wife dying in childbirth, as she gave birth to Mowgli, causing him to be thrown onto the Veldt, where he became the beast master he is today.

The game tries to claim this is a dancer, but we know the truth.

Jack is...Less than impressed, one could say.

C'mon, Jack, the best way to deal with the loss of a loved one is to contract venereal disease! Everyone knows that!

...D-does every woman name her boobs? I've never asked someone that before, and I'm not even sure how you bring that up in conversation.

I mean, there's no way to just ease that in.

That's an all or nothing kind of question; you've gotta be set on that path before you ask it, since I'm pretty sure there's no coming back from it.

Jack bashed himself into the wall here.

And now he's dead. Very sad end, to a very noble man.

Well, what would you name yours, Jack? Bu and Shido? That doesn't sound good at all!

Leave spent too much time focusing on learning how to kill things really good to worry about such matters, is what he's saying. Which I can understand, I suppose.

I'm making sure to include this scene just so that those who haven't seen it before knows it exists. I know if I hadn't seen it, I'd think that whoever told me about it was a loving liar.

Well, now that we've done that, let's go meet up with our friends.

I think that little boat is cute as hell. :3:

: I wonder if the others arrived safely...

: I am sure they did...

Something tells me that Mowgli might have a slight aversion to water.

While that would have been a pretty good spot to end the update, there's just a little more to get through before we hit what I think is a solid break point.

If you asked them to fight the Empire, that's pretty much exactly what you asked for.

One thing I like about Banon is that he's not some grand, romantic leader of a rebellion. He knows the risks his people will take. He's still spirited about it, and often blunt, but he's not going to engage in any bullshit with it. He'll let you make up your own mind, and won't try to force an outcome.

: We're asking you to spill your blood. Emperor Gesthal is racing to acquire ever greater Magitek power. That's the reason he wants the esper that was discovered here. If we allow the Empire to continue amassing weapons of Magitek destruction...history's greatest mistake will be repeated.

I don't have much to say during this scene.

Oh, c'mon, really? You guys dug up an ancient beast from the legends of yore and were attacked by the Empire, and you thought people were better than that?

Oh, hey, Leave's on the scene.

Despite his scenario being the longest, Leave shows up before Nathan does.

I'm not sure how that works, since Nathan was basically immediately spotted upon entering South Figaro and we had to get the hell out of there. South Figaro isn't that far away from Narshe.

To be fair, you're the warrior of Doma. And probably the only Doma person left around.

And Mowgli is...Certainly someone who is here, for reasons.

: Kefka...Poisoned them...

So, c'mon, help us kick the poo poo out of them. They'll do the same here! Except, y'know, they'll kill everyone else some other way, since I don't see any rivers around here.

As long as we remain neutral, we have nothing to fear from the Empire.

Yeah, because that worked out so well last time, when the Magitek armors came marching into town and killed several guards.

Nathan, where the hell have you been?

: The Empire's poised to attack Narshe as we speak!

: What!?

: Nathan, where did you manage to get your hands on information like that?

: Olivia here was one of the Empire's gener--

Aww, crap, I should have known that Jack would recognize Olivia.

When he says step aside, you better step the gently caress aside, otherwise Jack is going to throw your rear end across the room, woe be to whoever is in your path.

: The woman single-handedly responsible for the decimation of Maranada... Stand and meet thy judgment, Imperial b--

: Olivia has promised to join the Returners! She's fighting on our side now!

: Be that as it may...!

: I promised I'd protect her, and I won't give up a woman I've sworn to protect!

Eh, what's that? A hint to Nathan's past?

Never mind that poo poo, Terra is talking about her past now.

Someone, fetch Jack his ear trumpet!

...So why does it look like you're about to blow Jack's face off with an Aura Cannon?

Oh, hey, what's up, guard dude?

Oh, yeah, that thing we warned you about is happening.

...I thought you said the Empire was here. That's the desert!

Oh, yes, let's see if Kefka cares about civilians. :allears:

Didn't stop the Empire from rolling in there before...

Hey, gently caress you, I know what happened!

I love this line. Kefka is just so :moreevil:, it almost hurts.

"The Ides are coming!"

: They're here for the esper...

...It didn't flip its poo poo and kill you guys?

So, only Terra makes that thing react. And last time it did, two guys were wiped from existence.

Alright, I see no way this can go wrong.

As we make our way toward the Esper, a few conversations play out.

:allears:

:ughh:

: You can use magic, too...can't you? But...it's different from mine.

: I was raised to be an Imperial Magitek knight. When I was still very young, I was artifically infused with magic.

: ...Is it possible for you to love other people?

: ...? Are you mocking me?

Our last conversation is between Jack and Olivia, so this oughta be good.

Olivia is cool as hell about it, and shuts Jack the gently caress down.

And this is where we're leaving off on this update.

Next time, we'll fight the most important battle Narshe has ever had! Stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Of course Leave has no need for carnal pleasures. He's a Monk, after all.

Did a copyright claim by Square Enix force that video to play with no sound? They seem to be very protective of their video games on YouTube. I learned that from The Dark Id's The 3rd Birthday LP- two very, very bad scenes from that game are automatically taken down if uploaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

Did a copyright claim by Square Enix force that video to play with no sound? They seem to be very protective of their video games on YouTube. I learned that from The Dark Id's The 3rd Birthday LP- two very, very bad scenes from that game are automatically taken down if uploaded.

Nothing like that came up; it popped out of MeGUI that way, so I'm not sure what's going on.

My only guess is that I muted the sound during the stream, while I was grinding out Mowgli's Rages, and when you do that, the emulator doesn't gently caress around and mutes the sound for recordings as well. The next boss fight video is going to be affected by that, too, just so you know.

• Locked thread