Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

When I was a kid I always assumed there was one episode of Voyager that I kept missing, that tied up the Jane Eyre holodeck rip-off. Nah, just ditched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Computer delete program Janeway Delta7: HotDickManor.jiz

Can't go getting holofucked while my boyfriend and dogs are in the Alpha Quadrant, even though we're an Evolved species that probably recognized the needs for psychosexual stimulation on long trips and whole culture probably dealt with the inane concept of HoloCheating at least 10 years ago.

Computer, load up Janeway Zeta2: HotFuglyFatBlowhard.hist instead.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Didn't they use the holodeck to resolve Tuvok's pon farr or whatever? Like the Vulcans would seem to have a real good reason to want a realistic sex surrogate for deep space missions.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

:wtc:

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Nessus posted:

Didn't they use the holodeck to resolve Tuvok's pon farr or whatever? Like the Vulcans would seem to have a real good reason to want a realistic sex surrogate for deep space missions.

Yes, they also tried it for the Vulcan ensign but it didn't work out. The one with Tuvok is "Body and Soul" which is a great ep because it's the one where the doctor is in Seven's body and Jeri Ryan knocks it out of the park with finally getting to act.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

Like the Vulcans would seem to have a real good reason to want a realistic sex surrogate for deep space missions.

If I recall correctly it's not that effective because Vulcan boning is half their touch-telepathic poo poo. So Tuvok got his rocks off with a holowife but still had to meditate some of the ponn farr away, and the Vulcan guy it totally failed and he had to fight it out.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Beats TMP.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
In the future, everyone will have belt buckles but no belts.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Cojawfee posted:

In the future, everyone will have belt buckles but no belts.

On their feety pajamas in bland pale pastels.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Met posted:

Beats TMP.

I need to know that there are stories featuring Sarcastic Native American Guy and Lt. Dangle from Reno 911!. I need to.

EDIT - And Blue Guy and the My First Convention Vulcan Ears Twins, why not.

After The War fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 3, 2016

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The Future Is Tan

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The one guy in the front row with the black curly hair and Starfleet sideburns looks like he's Shatner's stunt double. Then I seen Cheap Ears Vulcan, a black lady up front, an Asian guy in the second row, and white guy way in the back with a mustache like Scotty and I'm thinking poo poo, maybe it IS all the stunt doubles!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

MikeJF posted:

If I recall correctly it's not that effective because Vulcan boning is half their touch-telepathic poo poo. So Tuvok got his rocks off with a holowife but still had to meditate some of the ponn farr away, and the Vulcan guy it totally failed and he had to fight it out.
loving green-blooded hobgoblins. Well I guess you could ALSO use the holodeck to create a perfectly modulated indefatigable opponent perfectly primed to wear you out and beat your poo poo in like it's Dragon Ball Z, but not actually kill you.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Nessus posted:

loving green-blooded hobgoblins. Well I guess you could ALSO use the holodeck to create a perfectly modulated indefatigable opponent perfectly primed to wear you out and beat your poo poo in like it's Dragon Ball Z, but not actually kill you.

Sure you can, they come in two flavors:

White Ninja

or Skeletor

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Just watched TOS "Day of the Dove." I think just about every actor who holds a sword in the episode grasps it by its blade at some point. We started to wonder if they were doing it on purpose, possibly to protest the dumbness of the concept.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Day of The Dove pioneered the use of the "make the Klingons boring" technique that Voyager and Enterprise later perfected.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I'm pretty sure he's kidding, and Gucci just happened to release a series of Trek-colored shirts. From searching "turtleneck" on their site:

Personally I hope they go with that kitty sweater for the Captain.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Knormal posted:

Mabel would be a great Captain.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I think you mean Co-Captain.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Knormal posted:

I'm pretty sure he's kidding, and Gucci just happened to release a series of Trek-colored shirts. From searching "turtleneck" on their site:

Yeah that was obviously a joke

:toxx:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

CPColin posted:

Just watched TOS "Day of the Dove." I think just about every actor who holds a sword in the episode grasps it by its blade at some point. We started to wonder if they were doing it on purpose, possibly to protest the dumbness of the concept.
ACTUALLY

medieval swordfighters often grasped them by the blade because you could brain someone over the head with the handle.

But this might not be what the TOS cast were thinking when they did that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Well a broadsword wasn't so much for cutting as it was for smashing.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I finished watching the Animated Series, and I really like it. I first saw a couple episodes on Saturday morning as a young child. Shortly after seeing a few episodes of TOS. It was very weird for a child, that and the cheapness of the show, (a couple of times they cropped out the speaking characters mouth with a ridiculously close, close up) I can see why ratings were poor when it first aired.

I will give filmation some credit, while the crew move really poorly, the aliens got a lot more fluid animation work that didn't clash with their freakish non-humanoid designs, well usually. Some of the stories deserved their reputation for weird campy nonsense, like the one with a giant Spock clone, and of course the one where Kirk and crew hang out with the devil (though I really do like the Devil in that episode). And Uhura and Nurse Chapel got a lot more to do. Overall I think its a shame its second series was cut down to six episodes.

Oh and one of the episodes is called Jihad and its about trying to prevent a race of birds from starting a holy war. Nothing much to add to that, it just made me smile.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Cojawfee posted:

Well a broadsword wasn't so much for cutting as it was for smashing.

Sorry, I have to let my sword nerd show here since I feel compelled to clarify:

Those are not "broadswords," those are longswords i.e. swords long enough to need two hands to use effectively. The term "broadsword" is a much later one, used to distinguish slashing weapons from rapiers and smallswords in (iirc) the 17th century.

Also, they are most emphatically not for smashing; longswords are very sharp and very pointy and can disembowel or dismember someone very quickly. However, if you look at the illustration (which I believe is from Talhoffer's Fechtbuch, but I may be mistaken as I don't feel like checking right now) you will see that the combatant using the murderstroke (the reverse grip) is fighting against someone in a full harness; plate armor is exceptionally good at stopping cuts, and is only vulnerable to thrusts at the inside of joints like the armpit or elbow, but a sufficiently hard bludgeoning impact can dent a helm and stun the armored fighter.

tl;dr - those are longswords in that picture, and they are primarily for cutting and stabbing, but people developed techniques to use them also for smashing when necessary

Of course if you know ahead of time that you're fighting someone who's armored, and you'll need to do a lot of smashing and some stabbing but no cutting, then you bring one of these:

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 3, 2016

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Sash! posted:

I got to appear in something that was filmed for the 50th anniversary. My neckbeard grew two sizes, just like the Grinch's heart.

Cool, any details, or has the iron fist of CBS got you under some kind of bind?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So do we have confirmation that souls don't exist in Trek other than Thomas Riker? Because I was thinking about Quantum Dupe Harry and Naomi again and it dawned on me that when the crew of Voyager dies there's already a dead version of each of them in the afterlife.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

So do we have confirmation that souls don't exist in Trek other than Thomas Riker? Because I was thinking about Quantum Dupe Harry and Naomi again and it dawned on me that when the crew of Voyager dies there's already a dead version of each of them in the afterlife.

We don't know how souls work irl or in Star Trek. It could be that any sentient life is automatically granted or generates a soul by virtue of life or whatever. That's always kinda been my personal belief, so yeah, there's already a set of Voyagers in the afterlife, at least imo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So my personal head canon says they have to fight their ghost doubles until uh, extra death?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
That afterlife is out of phase so it's ok

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They just get combined together, like all the Sevens in that time cop episode.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Rhyno posted:

Barclay has a soul because he was able to remember everything during transport, even though it's been established multiple times that the transporter breaks you down molecule by molecule and turns you into energy.

God what a poo poo episode that was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They just get combined together, like all the Sevens in that time cop episode.

I'm not there yet.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I've always thought if you cut away every bad to mediocre TOS episode you'd have maybe one season worth of material, but with Enterprise you'd have at least two, so Enterprise always beats TOS in terms of objective quantifiable quality. Thoughts?

Maybe it's just because I'm medicated right now, but I'm also being surprisingly affectionate for Voyager and am willing to tie it with Enterprise, although the uniform and ship design still puts Enterprise over for me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Enterprise also got one more season, and was made at a time when higher production value was substantially cheaper.

But yeah, I agree that of the 79 episodes there are about 30 good ones.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It's not entirely fair, but in light of that I won't begrudge giving TOS the handicap.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm at the end of season one of TOS, and the only BAD one so far has been "The Alternative Factor." The rest are at least decent.

On rewatching "Space Seed," though, I was kind of surprised to find that it's one of the weaker first season episodes, to me at least.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

WickedHate posted:

objective quantifiable quality.

lol ok, that is totally a thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I'm at the end of season one of TOS, and the only BAD one so far has been "The Alternative Factor." The rest are at least decent.

On rewatching "Space Seed," though, I was kind of surprised to find that it's one of the weaker first season episodes, to me at least.

It drops off a cliff at season three.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Barclay has a soul because he was able to remember everything during transport, even though it's been established multiple times that the transporter breaks you down molecule by molecule and turns you into energy.

God what a poo poo episode that was.
People are only mad because they can't back-read that movie with Tesla into it in order to make an exciting edgy observation about old nerd franchises.

To be honest I think it's a good thing because like, transporters facilitate a bunch of their sci fi stories even if, yes, they were over-using them for mcguffins - even the TNG tech manual thing has the writers acknowledging that that is a thing they're doing wrong - and what is the story you tell with the "Transporters actually murder everyone who use them and creates identical clones"? Like you get to pick one of "paralyzing, crippling horror at the details of this technology" or "that, plus the truth being suppressed by cold economic interests."

I don't even think it gives you existentialist horror. It just makes everything meaningless unless you're going full Rick and Morty about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Threshold could have been good if it was about the mental repercussions of seeing all of time and space at once.

Source: am currently watching Threshold.