Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I'm from the northeastern US and I don't think I've ever been somewhere where I couldn't dump a gallon of gas in a car and get to the nearest station. Everywhere I've ever been in my life could fit into the middle of nowhere in Australia. Driving six states over was a big road trip, and you're telling me it's that far between... anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Australia and the US are roughly the same size, but you've got ten times the population.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

Still a lot of areas out that way with no cell reception. If I am in a dead zone I will stop and help people who are broke down because of that.

I drove with a bunch of friends to a trail in south PA a month ago that was fairly hard (I fell down a ten foot incline to a stream and landed on my back) and we had no phone reception and that was less than 5 miles from the road. And even when we reached the susquehanna there was nothing, and that was in sight of bridges and buildings and poo poo.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Don't people underestimate the size of Australia due to the mercator projection?

Coucho Marx
Mar 2, 2009

kick back and relax

Ineffiable posted:

Don't people underestimate the size of Australia due to the mercator projection?

Maybe? Australia has almost exactly as much landmass as the 48 states, but about 1/13th of the population, and basically all of us live on the east/southeast coast (or around Perth in the very southwest). All capital cities are coastal, too, we just don't have the kind of regional cities other countries have (just large towns, really). The northwest is especially desolate.

edit: like, when foreigners think of Australia, they'll usually imagine stereotypical stuff like deserts and the outback and beaches and Steve Irwin, but nobody remembers that Australia is one of the most urbanized countries on the planet.

Coucho Marx has a new favorite as of 11:35 on Sep 2, 2016

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Captain Candyblood posted:

For example, over a hundred immigrants die every year trying to cross the barren land between Mexico and the US. Over 2,000 have died since border security ramped up in 2001.
http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-ff-immigrant-border-deaths-20151021-story.html
http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/3/11/death-in-the-desertthedangeroustrekbetweenmexicoandarizona.html

Maybe it makes sense that immigrants don't survive; they're on a long and dangerous walk through land no one uses, they don't have the option of seeking help from authorities, they're often not as well supplied as they should be. But even people going out for a day hike can be endangering themselves. People die in state parks every year because they ignore the severe heat warnings and go out anyway, and then get dehydrated and lost, or just too sick to walk. This summer, parts of Arizona got between 115-120 and lots of people ended up dead or hospitalized.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2016/06/22/100-percent-avoidable-hiker-deaths-mount-in-blazing-az-heat-wave/
A lot of these things happen in areas that are relatively close to "civilization" too. Ventana Canyon is less than ten miles long and directly outside the city of Tucson, but it's still desolate enough that those people died out there. That's always what gets me most about the stories in this thread about lost hikers...when they're JUST within the reach of help but miss it by inches and end up dying...

Anyway I rambled a little bit but my point is, the land out here is massive and weird and hot as hell. You can go from a well populated city to a moonscape in a matter of minutes and you'll die if you don't know what you're doing.

This may be a dumb question but why would you cross in summer? Surely you'd have a much better chance during winter.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

This may be a dumb question but why would you cross in summer? Surely you'd have a much better chance during winter.

Their winter and summer are backwards.

:rimshot:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Solice Kirsk posted:

Their winter and summer are backwards.

:rimshot:

yeah, it flips when you cross the border. That's why there's that big ice wall

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Ineffiable posted:

I grew up in Europe and then emigrated to the Pacific Northwest (US). Germans/Europeans don't look at a world map when they are planning their meticulous trips. German LOVE LOVE LOVE to plan trips with maps and poo poo, at least all of my family did/does.
No, instead they'll be looking at local or national road maps like they're used to from home. And they won't notice that the scaling is far different. They look at relative size of things and relative distances.

A year ago on a trip to visit my folks, I noticed that I still do that, only in reverse now. The distances over there seemed pitifully small all of a sudden.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

quote:

Generally while hiking, the body loses about a liter of water each hour. That number is more than doubled in hot weather. The rub is that the body cannot absorb water nearly that quickly, so it’s nearly impossible to replace even if a hiker is carrying enough. Instead, it can only efficiently absorb a half-liter every hour, Modern Hiker reported.

In other words, each hour, the body can lose 2 liters of water but only replace .5 liters, leaving the body at a 1.5-liter deficit of water each hour.

Huh, so in >115 degree heat, humans have to spray water directly on their skin or else die. Wonder if that's only true in sunlight, or in shade as well.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
When you're an American whose familiarity with overseas foreign countries is mostly Europe, you tend to think that "other countries" are very small and densely populated compared to the U.S. It's easy to forget that Australia is the other way around, and that even the emptiest Plains states are dense compared to the Outback.

In North Dakota, where I live, for example, we have 700,000 people in a state that's about 300 miles east-west and 150 miles north-south. Our biggest "metro area" is barely over 100,000 people, and the handful of cities that have more than 10,000 people are all spread apart with about 100 miles in between them. However ... if you are on any highway, you will still be going through little towns of 100-1000 people every 10-20 minutes, and there will be gas stations almost everywhere you stop. The cities over 10,000 people all have airports and colleges/universities and shopping malls. It's thinly populated, but it's not desolate, is my point. Americans tend to think this is emptiness, and it really isn't, not like Australia.

Content:
You don't have to be in the Outback to get stranded and die alone, though. Here's a story about a girl who got lost after a party in the catacombs of Odessa and died. Her body was found 2 years later. Warning: gruesome photos of decaying body right at the top of the link: http://weekinweird.com/2014/12/29/gruesome-discovery-beneath-odessa-catacombs-illustrates-dangers-urban-exploration/

For those who don't want to click through and see the gross picture, here's most of the test:

quote:

Odessa, just outside of Ukraine’s capital, Kiev, is home to one of the largest catacombs in the entire world. With over 1,500 miles of subterranean tunnels, Odessa’s catacombs even beat out the well-known Paris Catacombs in terms of length. After a nearly a century of mining operations beneath the city, and a stint as a WWII hiding place, the government officially sealed all entrances to the tunnels in 1980. Well, they tried to, at least.

Despite the best efforts of officials to keep adventurous folks out of the Catacombs, the tunnels proved to be a popular spot for teenagers to hold their wild parties far from the prying eyes of adults. Unfortunately, the extreme isolation meant that while you could party in peace, your chances of of dying in peace are also increased exponentially.

In 2009, an urban explorer known only as Eugene took to UER.com to share a morbid discovery that he’d made deep below the Odessa streets.

From http://www.uer.ca/forum_showthread_archive.asp?fid=1&threadid=68818&currpage=1
"As I said earlier, a lot of people lost and even dead under Odessa. Maybe this photo will shock you. It`s a dead body of the 19-years old girl, who has lost the right way in the maze. Her body was found only after 2 years…
…It’s a very sad story. She went with her friends into katakombs to celebrate a 2005s new year. It was a very big bad-experiment group, so probably when in the morning drunk group left katakombs, they forgot girl inside. It was a very long and painful death! She couldn’t find an entrance. She was taken out only in the end of 2007 аnd buried.
I made this photo in Аpril 2005. Аfter thаt I called police, but they did not want to go inside. Her body was far from the exit."

Let the sad story be a warning to all would-be urban explorers – if you decide to crawl into the Earth’s hidden places, make sure you go with a friend, tell others where you are, and don’t stray from the path.

Also, some people made an interactive 3D map of the Grand Canyon that shows where all recorded deaths have occurred. Atlantic story link: http://www.citylab.com/weather/2015/05/mapping-the-grand-canyons-gruesome-legacy-of-death/394040/

quote:

Zooming and clicking the coded icons reveals the details of each tragedy. For example: “Hastrick of Hertfordshire, England climbed over the rock guard wall to take a photo of the rim, not of the Canyon, from the very edge. While holding a camera to his face, Hastrick backed toward the Canyon and fell 333 feet.” And: “Keeling of Brea, CA was discovered decaying after jumping 300-500 feet with a suicide note in his pocket apologizing for the mess (that his body made).”

Direct link: http://www.esri.com/products/maps-we-love/death-grand-canyon

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
In what way is Odessa "just outside Keiv"? They're practically at opposite ends of the country :psyduck:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pharnakes posted:

In what way is Odessa "just outside Keiv"? They're practically at opposite ends of the country :psyduck:

They're just a few inches apart on this map!

Captain Candyblood
Aug 19, 2013

*The worse insults for the likpas and phallos as well.

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I don't really have a good answer and it probably just depends on the individual and what their options are. A lot of migrants are taken over by coyotes (smugglers), so I'm guessing a lot of the time it has to do with when the coyotes are available, when the families can get enough cash to pay for the crossing, etc.

But honestly, the Sonoran desert isn't much more forgiving during the winter. Temperatures can still reach 70, sometimes close to 80 during the day, which may not seem bad, but considering the fact that they're walking nonstop, don't have enough water, and are still getting intense sun exposure...doesn't make for an easy trip. Plus they still have the risks of wild animals, coyotes turning on them, running into border patrol, militia groups, etc etc. It's going to be super dangerous no matter what time of year, and I'm amazed anyone can make it over at all.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Just make sure you bring ketchup and relish packets you'll be fine

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker

Ineffiable posted:

Pretty much.

loving about with The True Size Of is a real eye opener.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up in Europe and then emigrated to the Pacific Northwest (US). Germans/Europeans don't look at a world map when they are planning their meticulous trips. German LOVE LOVE LOVE to plan trips with maps and poo poo, at least all of my family did/does.
No, instead they'll be looking at local or national road maps like they're used to from home. And they won't notice that the scaling is far different. They look at relative size of things and relative distances.

It's already in the thread somewhere, but, yeah, looks like you're right about that. :smith:

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I knew what that link was before clicking. :smuggo:
I have read that story three times and each time I notice again just how peculiarly 'German' both adults acted. I've observed my parents doing the same thing when visiting me here in the US. They look at paper maps and try to find the shortest route without much regard for anything else.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Sometimes it's possible to be too efficient.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 04:45 on Jul 27, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

ZeroDays posted:

Pretty much.

I feel kinda dumb for not realizing that projection wasn't to scale. Especially since I've seen other maps that are closer to reality but I've just never though to double check it.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

ZeroDays posted:

Pretty much.

Holy crap. I never knew! That's really cool, and now I want to go there someday.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
This probably does a good job of explaining the emptiness. 2% of the population lives in the yellow area.

Canada has a similar but less extreme pattern, with something like 90% of the population within 100 miles of the US border.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Canada has a similar but less extreme pattern, with something like 90% of the population within 100 miles of the US border.
Yeah, it's not quite the same, but Nunavut and the Northwest Territories are kind of like The Outback of the North, complete with indigenous people who have been thoroughly hosed over by the government, and white racists who don't understand why those natives don't just get jobs.

At least, that's my impression of both areas, I've never actually lived in either. I did know some people who lived in Yellowknife, and the distances involved with going to any other sizable town were mind-blowing.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A Spider Covets posted:

Holy crap. I never knew! That's really cool, and now I want to go there someday.

You'd fit right in!

So looking at the wiki article on the Demographics of Australia it breaks down population densities by state and territory.

The largest state is Western Australia at 2,529,875 square kilometers with a population of 2,239,170 so pop density of 0.89. Of that 73% of the population live in Perth the state capital.

The Northern Territory is 1,349,129 square kilometers with a population of 211,945 which gives it a density of 0.16!

Australia is big and empty except for the cities which are crowded. 89% of Australians live in cities.

In terms of world population density Australia is 236th out of 244 countries, the US is 182nd and the UK is 51st.

Someone mentioned Highway 1 earlier in the thread. It should be noted that a portion of this the Savannah Way that goes from Darwin over into Far North Queensland is unsealed road, which basically means it's a dirt track and it can become impassable in the wet season.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Terrible Opinions posted:

There are back parts of west Texas where the signs say 300 miles. I've never gone down them to verify but that's what the signs say.

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm from the northeastern US and I don't think I've ever been somewhere where I couldn't dump a gallon of gas in a car and get to the nearest station. Everywhere I've ever been in my life could fit into the middle of nowhere in Australia. Driving six states over was a big road trip, and you're telling me it's that far between... anything?
Yeah, everything between Fort Worth and Las Vegas is a vast empty sun-blasted godforsaken hellscape (well, there's Albuquerque, but my point stands). Compare to, say, east Texas, where there's a town every 12 miles or so on any major highway. My fiance is from near Albany, NY, and sometimes gets creeped out by there being too much sky around here, after a life of mountains and cities.

Phyzzle posted:

Huh, so in >115 degree heat, humans have to spray water directly on their skin or else die. Wonder if that's only true in sunlight, or in shade as well.
Well, if you're in south Louisiana, as I've been for the last month, the humidity takes care of that. :v:

In other news, my cousin, who lives out in the country in east Texas, heard what she's pretty sure was a mountain lion screaming a few nights ago. A few days before that, her neighbor was walking his dogs, and both dogs flipped the gently caress out and ran off into the woods, only one came back. So, yeah, my cousin's 3-year-old son isn't allowed to play in the yard unsupervised.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Maybe this doesn't count as unnerving because a random cat showed up and saved his sorry rear end, but speaking of lost hikers:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d=facebook-post

quote:

Cat 'guides injured walker to safety' after he got lost in Swiss Alps
'She kept looking at me to follow and led me straight to the path that would take me back down to the valley'

A hiker claims he was guided back to the right path after he sprained his ankle and got a lost in the Alps.

The Hungarian man said he became disorientated and found his intended route blocked while walking in the mountains near Gimmelwald, Switzerland.

Fortunately, he encountered a friendly local cat who guided him back to safety.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Coucho Marx posted:

Maybe? Australia has almost exactly as much landmass as the 48 states, but about 1/13th of the population, and basically all of us live on the east/southeast coast (or around Perth in the very southwest). All capital cities are coastal, too, we just don't have the kind of regional cities other countries have (just large towns, really). The northwest is especially desolate.

edit: like, when foreigners think of Australia, they'll usually imagine stereotypical stuff like deserts and the outback and beaches and Steve Irwin, but nobody remembers that Australia is one of the most urbanized countries on the planet.

This is why, when I think about Alice Springs or whatever, I'm like "what is your major malfunction." Middle of nowhere, US, is one thing; middle of nowhere, AU, is a nice safe spot in the middle of certain death.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
New Zealand is small as hell but people still die in the bush because they underestimate how isolated and wild it can be.

Semi related, this happened recently on a really popular hiking track and is pretty unnerving:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/83536051/czech-tramper-dead-on-routeburn-track-partner-rescued-after-month-in-hut

She could easily have starved to death in a secure hut on a well-traveled track, just because she and her partner didn't leave notice of their intentions.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
That's a terrible and unnerving experience (and RIP that dude), but one thing in the article bugs me. Not about the article itself, but how the situation came about.

Rescued Woman posted:

"Nobody can prepare you for this," she later told police of her ordeal.

quote:

They set out on the Routeburn on July 26, despite being warned off by Department of Conservation (DOC) staff.

According to Kennett, they had no tent or locator beacon and told no-one of their plans.

DOC Te Anau operations manager Greg Lind posted:

He said he hoped the incident would serve as a reminder to tramper's to take extra precautions.

"The message is being ignored or overlooked by people and they are getting themselves into a right pickle.

"People are making judgement calls about their own experiences and ability and often they are getting caught out."

This seems to be one of the most common threads about people dying in the wilderness, in that most of them are under-prepared or even actively refuse advice to the contrary. It's good to be a skeptic, to question the advice of others a little and do your own research, but it's quite another thing to get advice from an expert, write it off immediately, and then act bewildered that anything could have ever gone wrong. It's like when people ignore advice from their doctors about their health and then act surprised when they take ill or die. It's frustrating, and sad, in that it leads to lethal situations like this that could have been avoided. Leading a horse to water, etc., etc.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

That's a terrible and unnerving experience (and RIP that dude), but one thing in the article bugs me. Not about the article itself, but how the situation came about.

This seems to be one of the most common threads about people dying in the wilderness, in that most of them are under-prepared or even actively refuse advice to the contrary. It's good to be a skeptic, to question the advice of others a little and do your own research, but it's quite another thing to get advice from an expert, write it off immediately, and then act bewildered that anything could have ever gone wrong. It's like when people ignore advice from their doctors about their health and then act surprised when they take ill or die. It's frustrating, and sad, in that it leads to lethal situations like this that could have been avoided. Leading a horse to water, etc., etc.

It's definitely a big problem in new Zealand - tourists tend to underestimate how much trouble they can get into in such a small and temperate-seeming place. Especially if they're from a place where there's cellphone coverage everywhere. The New Zealand bush eats half a dozen tourists a year and occasionally the odd local. That said, it sounds like it's a problem anywhere with wilderness.

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 04:01 on Sep 3, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

My favourite unnerving thing about New Zealand was finding out about the Auckland Volcanic Field when we visited the first time.

Basically New Zealands biggest city is sited on top of a field of magma that has produced 50 small volcanos. Who knows where it will next erupt, or when or what kind of eruption it will be and what effects it will have. Will it be under the water and cause a tsunami? or an earthquake? hot steam blasts or gasses? Ash falls? Take your bets!

The actual risk is very small statistically, but it's really unnerving to read about and then notice all those little conical hills around the city.

Helith has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Sep 3, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Helith posted:

My favourite unnerving thing about New Zealand was finding out about the Auckland Volcanic Field when we visited the first time.

Basically New Zealands biggest city is sited on top of a field of magma that has produced 50 small volcanos. Who knows where it will next erupt, or when or what kind of eruption it will be and what effects it will have. Will it be under the water and cause a tsunami? or an earthquake? hot steam blasts or gasses? Ash falls? Take your bets!

The actual risk is very small statistically, but it's really unnerving to read about and then notice all those little conical hills around the city.

Eh, it's fine, it's the Taupo megavolcano you need to worry about.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Maybe this doesn't count as unnerving because a random cat showed up and saved his sorry rear end, but speaking of lost hikers:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...d=facebook-post

Ok I don't mean to be callous...but did you watch the accompanying video? He's on a crushed rock path with electrical fence guard rails....this fucker is getting back to somewhere no matter how much of a gently caress up he is. Cat or no.

It still is a cute story..but jesus gently caress this guy was not going to die.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

slinkimalinki posted:

Eh, it's fine, it's the Taupo megavolcano you need to worry about.

If you want something to really worry about : the next time Yellowstone erupts it will be an extinction-level event. It's overdue to erupt.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

FourLeaf has a new favorite as of 04:46 on Jul 27, 2017

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

Ants fall into an inescapable pit where they barely survive through unknown means. I love ants, so this is just plain fascinating, but it's also such a weird and dark existance that I can't help but try and picture a human analog.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Jedit posted:

If you want something to really worry about : the next time Yellowstone erupts it will be an extinction-level event. It's overdue to erupt.

That's a massive exaggeration. It would be bad, but not "end life on earth" bad, or even "end human life on earth" bad.

It would gently caress a lot of the US though.

http://www.livescience.com/20714-yellowstone-supervolcano-eruption.html

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why do they call it the bush? Is that a term adapted from the indigenous Australians?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I think it's just what the British called dry scrubland. They also use the term for parts of Africa.