Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I really don't understand why normal malls are failing, and simultaneously "mixed use urban developments" (I.e. Outdoor malls) are being built everywhere. It's like a mall that I won't go to in the Texas summer or rain/etc. The have literally the same stores, it's just that one is more inconvenient/uncomfortable/trendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Moridin920 posted:

i quite honestly can't think of anything so needful that I need to get it today yet so obscure that no stores around me have it

maybe your "high street" should get with the times lmao put some walmarts up or something idk stop loving kids and pigs mebbe

yeah gently caress england irl
it's really funny how they used to be an empire, then a leader in the world, and then just relevant, got owned really hard, after that they at least made some good music and now that that's been dead for 25+ years it's a "why does that place still exist" island full of ugly inbreds, bad weather and worse food where they speak a cryptic language resembling english but wrong enough to trigger an uncanny valley type response.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

blugu64 posted:

I really don't understand why normal malls are failing, and simultaneously "mixed use urban developments" (I.e. Outdoor malls) are being built everywhere. It's like a mall that I won't go to in the Texas summer or rain/etc. The have literally the same stores, it's just that one is more inconvenient/uncomfortable/trendy.

Maybe they just have less of those Hot Topic mall kids lounging about since it's outside?

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

two forty posted:

yeah gently caress england irl
it's really funny how they used to be an empire, then a leader in the world, and then just relevant, got owned really hard, after that they at least made some good music and now that that's been dead for 25+ years it's a "why does that place still exist" island full of ugly inbreds, bad weather and worse food where they speak a cryptic language resembling english but wrong enough to trigger an uncanny valley type response.

can you point on the doll where england touched you

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Brave New World posted:

It's the english equivalent of that busy street in your town that has a bunch of strip malls, WalMart, Lowe's, McDonalds, Wendys, Taco Bell, and Ye Olde Dildo Shoppe.

Ah ok. I've heard these referred to as "<town>-Vegas" (as in the Las Vegas strip).

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
i think you're missing the point

high street is to britons "a place where you buy things"
it may not be one street/place/area/district it's more of a concept

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

blugu64 posted:

You can drive from store to store, safe in your air conditioned bubble where no one can interact with you.

That's really it.

Fact of the matter is, Americans really hate each other.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Without England, PBS wouldn't have its Sunday night programming.

Apr 7, 2003

There's a recent development being built here called McCandless Crossing which is being sold as an "urban" and "walkable" mix of residential and retail, except it's acre after acre of blacktop with little integrated greenery and no sidewalks, so it really isn't urban or walkable at all.

Americans love exclusion, and a $300K buy-in for a lovely apartment around here means that they will never have to see a poor again while they drive 600 feet to the Whole Foods.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
So I went searching Craigslist today and found a pair of washing machine pedestals. I gave the poster a call and found out they were actually for sale at the Sears Appliance outlet.

Clicked on "see more from this user" and saw about a dozen listings for washing machines, fridges, dishwashers, etc., all for sale at the Sears Appliance Outlet.

Watch out, Amazon! Sears found out about the internet and they're comin for ya!!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

blugu64 posted:

normal malls are failing for a lot of reasons, mostly big wage stagnation since the 70s/80s and income inequality, with stores that used to cater to mostly middle/lower class that can't even afford that anymore.

outdoor retail plazas are able to shake stigma of malls=run down garbage for poors, and often do have more higher-end poo poo like lush, anthropology, banana, with mix of other stuff like H&M/etc, and often at least passable restaurants instead of whatever garbage cinnamon bon/garbage pretzle stands that malls had. also they often have 2-5+ floors of apartments above so that gives them easy access to some amount customers at almost all time, and presents more of a communal outdoor area that's not quite as dreary and lovely to hang out and drink coffee/icecream/whatever outside. they're also often better located near downtown instead of buttfuck suburb nowhere.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Xaris posted:

normal malls are failing for a lot of reasons, mostly big wage stagnation since the 70s/80s and income inequality, with stores that used to cater to mostly middle/lower class that can't even afford that anymore.

outdoor retail plazas are able to shake stigma of malls=run down garbage for poors, and often do have more higher-end poo poo like lush, anthropology, banana, with mix of other stuff like H&M/etc, and often at least passable restaurants instead of whatever garbage cinnamon bon/garbage pretzle stands that malls had. also they often have 2-5+ floors of apartments above so that gives them easy access to some amount customers at almost all time, and presents more of a communal outdoor area that's not quite as dreary and lovely to hang out and drink coffee/icecream/whatever outside. they're also often better located near downtown instead of buttfuck suburb nowhere.

are you a mall scientist drat

Apr 7, 2003

NoWake posted:

So I went searching Craigslist today and found a pair of washing machine pedestals. I gave the poster a call and found out they were actually for sale at the Sears Appliance outlet.

Clicked on "see more from this user" and saw about a dozen listings for washing machines, fridges, dishwashers, etc., all for sale at the Sears Appliance Outlet.

Watch out, Amazon! Sears found out about the internet and they're comin for ya!!

I just bought a refrigerator from Sears because they were available to deliver within two days (old fridge blew up) and they were willing to take my old fridge off for free.

Seems like I had a good experience with Old Sears.

They should bring Old Sears back.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Automatic Slim posted:

Without England, PBS wouldn't have its Sunday night programming.

Growing up, my father worked as a television engineer at a PBS.

I've seen entirely too much early Dr. Who, Are you Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances.

Also Lawrence Welk, but I don't think I can blame the British for that.

Edit: if anyone knows who exactly I can blame for Lawrence Welk, please tell me.

Schwarzwald has a new favorite as of 08:24 on Sep 3, 2016

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Xaris posted:

All of them in Dallas are being built out in suburbia though, literally a few miles from indoor malls.

Citizen Tayne posted:

You can drive from store to store, safe in your air conditioned bubble where no one can interact with you.

Nobody does this though since the stores are a hundred feet from each other. It's crazy. It's like people decided to cargo cult a downtown environment and get the worst of both worlds.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo
In general, how much of a threat is the entire 'Franchise model' of stores under threat? Chipotle is having ridiculous supply chain issues and resorting to standard terrible labor practices against employees, people are mostly realizing fast food kills them, and models like Jimmy Johns that rely on having a store every square mile of every major/moderate/minor/suburban area just doesn't seem sustainable in the long run. I mean white people do love their mayonnaise on processed bread and food stuff, but the entire franchise model and system has to be under some stress?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The rent is probably cheaper on outdoor/strip malls as they have less to maintain.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Schwarzwald posted:

Growing up, my father worked as a television engineer at a PBS.

I've seen entirely too much early Dr. Who, Are you Being Served and Keeping Up Appearances.

Also Lawrence Welk, but I don't think I can blame the British for that.

Edit: if anyone knows who exactly I can blame for Lawrence Welk, please tell me.

The Greatest Generation. After growing up in Dust Bowls, Great Depressions, and World Wars why would anyone want one more piece of excitement especially their entertainment?

PBS had better attract younger viewers, their average age is even older than fox viewers.

Speaking of companies circling the drain: Hanjin shipping of South Korea has gone bankrupt.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/sep/02/hanjin-bankruptcy-causes-global-shipping-chaos/

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Keeping Up Appearances owns

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

RocktheCaulk posted:

In general, how much of a threat is the entire 'Franchise model' of stores under threat? Chipotle is having ridiculous supply chain issues and resorting to standard terrible labor practices against employees, people are mostly realizing fast food kills them, and models like Jimmy Johns that rely on having a store every square mile of every major/moderate/minor/suburban area just doesn't seem sustainable in the long run. I mean white people do love their mayonnaise on processed bread and food stuff, but the entire franchise model and system has to be under some stress?

please tell us what other foods are beneath you

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

I have to disagree with the franchise owners here, I can't really say the idea of trying to move into the premium fast food segment is a bad idea. Every success story in fast food from the past decade has been taking the concept upmarket and at the other end its gotten ridiculously cutthroat, you aren't going to be making record profits with a dollar menu being a core part of your business. I do think they have to decide exactly what they want to be, you can't be a starbucks, high end five guys and "artisan sandwich shop" all rolled into one. Its going to take some pain up front but they're trying to secure the long term value of the brand.

It seems somewhat doomed to me.

The appeal of Maccas to people for the most part seems to be hooking into that part of the brain from when you were a kid and it was colourful and plastic and fun. They are changing the brand though to try and make it seem adult and sensible and healthy (even though it's not). I don't know what American McDonalds are like, but here in Australia they are all muted colours and...well boring. I would be really curious to see what the numbers are on kids attachment to them nowadays, and wouldn't be surprised if far fewer kids are excited by them.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

in 1992 sears had been running prodigy, an ISP, for [b]8 years[/]

Dude, I was a Prodigy subscriber in 1992, and the leap between Prodigy/Compuserve in 1992 to anything approaching even the Internet of 1999 is like comparing the Wright Brothers' fabric-and-twig plane to a goddamn 707.

Sure, you were 'online', but all you could do was sort of dick around, chat, play simple games - nothing that led any business-exec-type to come to the conclusion that Amazon was going to murder the entire retail landscape in 20 years. Remember, you paid by the hour and it was relatively expensive, plus it tied up your only phone line, didn't give you 'net access, and IIRC, was DOS-based for the most part. There was no safe way to buy anything, no PayPal, no indication the Middle America would ever trust this method of purchase for anything.

It was just a slightly better version of the BBS's we used in 1983 with our C-64's and Apple IIe's. Sure, people would say how this was the 'way of the future', but the future was some nebulous time wayyy out in the distance with no clear road map about how anybody was going to get there.

I saw Timothy Leary speak in 1984 at my college and he spoke eloquently about how computers were going to tie us all together in an enormous web of constant communication. We all thought he was brain-fried from the acid and just wanted to hear druggie stories.

Hindsight is always 20-20, and unless you either lived through it or do -very- accurate research, every decision looks either ridiculous or brilliant, depending on later events, when it's usually just poo poo luck.

JnnyThndrs has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Xaris posted:

Much cheaper to build and manage as well? You don't have to air condition a giant indoor space when every square foot that isn't a store is outdoors.

I mean, they're strip malls. That's all they are.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

radiatinglines posted:

please tell us what other foods are beneath you

I don't even own a mayonnaise :smug:

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

LegoPirateNinja posted:

Much cheaper to build and manage as well? You don't have to air condition a giant indoor space when every square foot that isn't a store is outdoors.

I mean, they're strip malls. That's all they are.

Yeah, I think you pretty much nailed it. I don't know how the new -upscale- strip malls do it, but when I was working retail in the mid-Eighties, indoor malls not only charged horrific rent, they took a chunk of your gross income. Not net, but -gross-.

So even if you were floundering as a retailer, the mall owners were sucking big sums of $$$ out of you, and when things start to go bad, everybody bailed out except the most successful upscale places with huge margins.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RocktheCaulk posted:

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Johns thrives on deliveries. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of their stores shrunk down to delivery-only kitchens but I'd be surprised if many of them closed in the short term.

I'm probably not going to have Jimmy Johns for years, now - I used to get it maybe once or twice a month if I was working from home or busy with something and wanted a substantial meal without needing to cook. I've moved now though, and apparently although there are like five JJs within three miles of my new place, two of them within 2.2 miles, there are zero within the magical 2 mile delivery radius and there never will be because of how saturated the region is with them already. It's not good enough food to actually go out of your way for, since every one of the stores is within blocks of several much better options. The "freaky fast" delivery is literally the only thing they have going for them, and I'm pretty sure the company is well aware of it.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

blugu64 posted:

I live in florida and all of new malls and outlet malls are the outdoor ones

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Someone post a photo of an outdoor mail because this is confusing

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

unpacked robinhood posted:

http://uvillage.com/about/ is a big one in Seattle.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Keeping Up Appearances owns

I used to watch it with my nana and can confirm this statement is true

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Ryoshi posted:

shrunk down to delivery-only kitchens
When workers consistently outnumber patrons by 3-4x , you need to reassess. I have no idea what all those people are doing, there's scarcely room to move. It's a time and motion study consultant's wet dream.

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

So, stores? Fifth ave in NY is a "mall"? Didn't know that.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man I wanna drink some colon-nade now.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

Dirty Sanchez posted:

No, these actually have parking spots and usually don't have rats, homeless people or potholes.

I've seen these all over the south but the closest thing you'll get to them in NYC are the endless lovely strip malls in Long Island.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Dirty Sanchez posted:

No no, these are all self contained "developments" owned entirely by a company that leases out the space. There's usually a big parking garage somewhere along with street parking between the stores.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Dirty Sanchez posted:

jesus christ how dumb do you have to be to look at that picture and think of fifth avenue

did your mom drink a lot before she had you or ???

Acres of Quakers
May 6, 2006

Ryoshi posted:

jesus christ how dumb do you have to be to look at that picture and think of fifth avenue

did your mom drink a lot before she had you or ???

I was there yesterday. Stores on one side of the street, stores on the other side of the street. People walking from store to store...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm not understanding the difference between those and the concept of an outdoor shopping center, where there's like ten stores or so surrounding a parking lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
It's a plot by Big Pokemon to get you to hatch more eggs by walking.