Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

CharlestheHammer posted:

Their favorite storyline was the robot parent one in the 90s obviously.

so what you're saying is, there's an Ultimate Clone Saga movie in the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Raserys posted:

so what you're saying is, there's an Ultimate Clone Saga movie in the works

You think Tobey and Andrew Garfield weren't clones and this wasn't their plan all along?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Raserys posted:

So far, I think Tom Holland has the capacity to be both a good Peter Parker and a good Spiderman. Waiting until his movie comes out to judge. He also annoys enemies by talking a lot, which is great and the most "Spiderman" trait I can imagine.

I feel some people really overstate how crucial this is to Spider-man's character. I liked Tom just fine but he didn't really get enough screen time for me to compare him to Maguire or Garfield.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

X-O posted:

Sam Raimi cast a really good Peter and Mary Jane. Just a shame it was five years later and in the roles of Eddie Brock and Gwen Stacy instead.

What a missed opportunity on all counts. Tobey's Peter was just a constantly mopey sad sack that I could never get into him in the role. Add to the fact that he and Dunst had negative charisma together.

Also the guy is the worlds ugliest crier.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cry pretty, Jessica.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

I feel some people really overstate how crucial this is to Spider-man's character. I liked Tom just fine but he didn't really get enough screen time for me to compare him to Maguire or Garfield.

even "great responsibility" and "does whatever a spider can" rate below "quips in the face of danger" with regards to what makes a good Spider-Man ("You remembered the hyphen!")

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Out of all the Spider-Mans I'm actually still the most impressed by Toby Maguire's, if only because the character has a sort of central thesis (AKA world' biggest sad sack) and Toby embodies it really well. So that's a credit to both Raimi and Maguire.

Andrew Garfield was acceptable, and Tom Holland has potential, but OTOH I feel like it's not ... hard? Or challenging? Or particularly charming, at least, to write or act "awkward young guy just doing his best". I don't think the heavy stuttering and general social bumbling particularly does credit to either actor. But then, maybe it's a character type that's really common right now, so IMO it's hard to make this kind of character stand out to me. I was OK with both TASMs, and am looking forward to Homecoming, but Peter needs to have more going for him, I guess.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Topher Grace didn't honk any truck horns so he was a terrible Venom.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
look I can't take any villain seriously when, every time they're on screen, Kurtwood Smith's voice is in my head calling him a dumbass

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Four Score posted:

look I can't take any villain seriously when, every time they're on screen, Kurtwood Smith's voice is in my head calling him a dumbass

Yeah seriously, that guy will never not be Eric Foreman

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

JT Smiley posted:

What a missed opportunity on all counts. Tobey's Peter was just a constantly mopey sad sack that I could never get into him in the role. Add to the fact that he and Dunst had negative charisma together.

Seriously, I don't understand how anyone enjoyed watching a Peter Parker who looked and sounded like he was seconds away from bursting into tears at all times. I'll admit that my memory might be a little exaggerated because I've avoided those movies like the plague for about fifteen years, but I really don't get anyone who thinks Maguire was anything other than terrible casting.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Tobey Peter should have banged next door immigrant cookie chick instead of MJ, she was by far the better catch. That's his main failing as a character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Chaos Hippy posted:

Seriously, I don't understand how anyone enjoyed watching a Peter Parker who looked and sounded like he was seconds away from bursting into tears at all times. I'll admit that my memory might be a little exaggerated because I've avoided those movies like the plague for about fifteen years, but I really don't get anyone who thinks Maguire was anything other than terrible casting.

Someone never read early ASM.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Rough Lobster posted:

Tobey Peter should have banged next door immigrant cookie chick instead of MJ, she was by far the better catch. That's his main failing as a character.

She seemed like she maybe wasn't supposed to come across as an adult?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Roth posted:

You think Tobey and Andrew Garfield weren't clones and this wasn't their plan all along?

andrew garfield is playing ultimate scorpion, tobey is playing ultimate kaine

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Someone never read early ASM.

Every time I try to read 60's-era Marvel comics, I end up regretting it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rough Lobster posted:

Yeah it was distracting how in a movie with (sorta) two love interests for Peter this totally minor side character seemed way more charming and a better fit for him. Although yeah maybe she was supposed to be too young for him, it wasn't clear.

Man, MJ isn't great in any of those movies, but she is so detestable in 3. Not that Peter making out in public with some other woman and thinking she wouldn't mind was much better.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Peter stops understanding social interactions in 3. Maybe Venom causes autism.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's funny that in a movie where Venom was shoe-horned in, Sandman is the one who feels like he has no loving business in the story.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He killed a uncle Ben. Or didn't. I forget.

It taught Peter an important lesson that uh...

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
All I want from Homecoming is the soliloquy from my favorite Spider-Man story, Love Be A Vulture Tonight, finally given on the big screen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

He killed a uncle Ben. Or didn't. I forget.

It taught Peter an important lesson that uh...

"You should totally let criminals get away"

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Chaos Hippy posted:

Every time I try to read 60's-era Marvel comics, I end up regretting it.

Mid-late sixties Amazing Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, and The Mighty Thor are the bedrock that Marvel is built on. It's so wild seeing the first appearences of things that have endured 50+ years.

The first two John Romita issues of Amazing Spider-Man are the only time that amnesia has been used well to resolve a story. Probably the best Green Goblin story that doesn't involve someone getting thrown off a bridge.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope they tone down how often Peter says "awesome" in Homecoming and give him some other adjectives to work with.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Sad that Peter has never learned the true lesson, that he must be the one to kill his own family.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

JT Smiley posted:

Also the guy is the worlds ugliest crier.

Needs a cry-off with Claire Danes to settle this for sure.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

greatn posted:

She seemed like she maybe wasn't supposed to come across as an adult?

She seemed like a young adult to me, but the rest of the cast is forty year olds playing high school kids so she comes across as much younger.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

muscles like this? posted:

I don't know why someone at Sony was really into doing stuff with Peter's parents. Characters who really don't matter in the grand scheme of things.

They had to set up the "Peter Parker's Mum and Dad Shared Cinematic Universe".

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

teagone posted:

I hope they tone down how often Peter says "awesome" in Homecoming and give him some other adjectives to work with.

I'll be blown away if we don't get a recreation of the "Amazing" "Spectacular" joke from Civil War.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Wheat Loaf posted:

They had to set up the "Peter Parker's Mum and Dad Shared Cinematic Universe".

The ASM movies acknowledging Peter's mom, that's funny. Did they even say her name at any point?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
It was Martha right?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It was Martha right?

Why did you say that?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BiggerBoat posted:

Why did you say that?

Martha is his mom's name!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's funny that in a movie where Venom was shoe-horned in, Sandman is the one who feels like he has no loving business in the story.

Yeah, everyone always rips on SM3 for Venom but Sandman always really cheeses me off. Because his whole backstory completely ruins Spider-Man's origin! Sandman kills Ben, so the robber Peter lets go does nothing, thereby making Peter's non-intervention meaningless! With great power, comes great responsibility sometimes poo poo happens, I guess.

SonicRulez posted:

I'll be blown away if we don't get a recreation of the "Amazing" "Spectacular" joke from Civil War.

"Amazing" "Spectacular" "Web Of" "Peter Parker: Spider-Man poo poo I REVEALED MYSELF AGAIN"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Giant Sandman punching Spider-man over and over is one of the dumbest "raising the stakes" moment I've ever seen.

I mean, if a concentrated effort to kill Spider-man already doesn't do anything, what the hell will?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BrianWilly posted:

I honestly find Tom Holland a little bit bland, emote-wise. I think Maguire is understandably a better actor and Garfield is way more expressive. I can see Holland fits the mold of the dew-faced overburdened-yet-idealistic Peter Parker that they're building, though.

Try watching In the Heart of the Sea. Both him and Thor star in it. And theyre both good.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at Sony fought to have the ending of Amazing Spider-Man 2 be Peter visiting his Dad's grave and then his Dad also shows up at his grave and tells him he's been in hiding. They literally stole the ending to Metal Gear Solid 4, a series known for ridiculous and so-stupid-it's-silly plot lines, and tried to make it serious and dramatic.

Someone at Sony also thought there was demand for an Aunt May movie.

The person IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE SPIDER-MAN PORTFOLIO at Sony thought this:

These are the people we're dealing with here. There is nothing too stupid for them.

I tried to find it but there was this article with I think Orci talking about dropping his kids off and chatting with Kurtzman about doing a movie, then getting excited about making a Spider-man that was badass and wasn't a wimp. That's how this movie was made.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Someone at Sony fought to have the ending of Amazing Spider-Man 2 be Peter visiting his Dad's grave and then his Dad also shows up at his grave and tells him he's been in hiding. They literally stole the ending to Metal Gear Solid 4, a series known for ridiculous and so-stupid-it's-silly plot lines, and tried to make it serious and dramatic.

Someone at Sony also thought there was demand for an Aunt May movie.

The person IN CHARGE OF THE ENTIRE SPIDER-MAN PORTFOLIO at Sony thought this:

These are the people we're dealing with here. There is nothing too stupid for them.

To be fair, the electronic music angle worked pretty well. The best thing I heard about AMS2(not that that's saying much) was the soundtrack. The rest of that is pure dumb exec though.

Shageletic posted:

I tried to find it but there was this article with I think Orci talking about dropping his kids off and chatting with Kurtzman about doing a movie, then getting excited about making a Spider-man that was badass and wasn't a wimp. That's how this movie was made.

I'd like to see Spider-Man a little more buff and stuff, if only because that's the one I grew up with. I didn't really get into modern comic reading until about 2009 or 10, so my defining Spider-Man experience was old 90s comics and pre-2000 cartoons where the "man" part of his name made sense. Never been a fan of scrawny Spidey.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

CharlestheHammer posted:

He didn't quip, the most important Spidey trait!

Uhhh he had the best quips?

https://youtu.be/yeAU1WmZHX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Bendis has a story about being hired to add some quips to the Spidey 1 script but they were cut out for being too quippy.

• Locked thread