Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
lol @ the OTON its a $300 one of these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

i don't know. i'll give you that it's possible to procedurally generate a whole unique game...for certain values of "game." i'm not gonna search jstor but i bet there are research papers on automatically generating new rules for card games or 8x8 grid games (a la chess), etc. creating a technically functional variation on a theme -- sure, that's possible. but that doesn't mean the game it comes up with is fun. i'm thinking about the various attempts at getting a computer to write jokes: yeah, they follow the format, but there's clearly a lot more to entertainment than that.

and procedural generation on its own sure isn't a compelling game. see: no man's sky, spore

yeah i thought about it some more and there's a big difference between varying on a theme and coming up with something entirely novel. i guess procedural generation inherently only produces variations on an established theme, while you'd need something that can come up with entirely new starting points for variation. quite a bit more challenging!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
https://republic.co

this looks fun

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol @ the ProcGen game stuff, they saw the press for No Mans Sky and thought Hey we can get away with a piece of that while doing barely any actual game dev!

much like NMS itself I guess

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
this might be the douchiest thing i've seen in my life

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lomarf

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
a raise? phhe. i will do twice the work for a 50% paycut. checkmate :smug:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

gently caress everybody involved in every aspect of this thing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"With over a billion early stage entrepreneurs worldwide"

what the gently caress does this mean?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive posted:

that's the demographic their kickstarter will be marketing to

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

theflyingexecutive posted:

ideas guys

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

quote:

democratized platform for entrepreneurship news

quote:

democratized entrepreneurship promotion

quote:

proprietary algorithm utilizing public social media data, company traction updates, and other items to help determine what early stage startups to cover

yaes this is the meaning of democracy

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

the pyramid is literally a part of the website background lol just lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"Kinda of like the ESPN for entrepreneurship! "

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/nap_dad/status/771060736801943552

i am backing this kickstarter and so should you all. help this man get his turtle hats.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i am dead serious. i am going to buy and wear the turtle hat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

GameCube posted:

don't wear hats indoors

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

GameCube posted:

wear the hat boosted

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

exploding mummy posted:

wear the hat boosted

:ssh: wrong thread :panic:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i actually probably won't buy the hat. i'm very poor right now. but i'm definitely going to give that guy money so that he can pursue his dream.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

BattleMaster posted:

Procedural generation was used in games before it was called "procedural generation"

the claims of procedurally-generated whole original games is pants-on-head crazy at worst, idiot idea guy throwing around buzzwords at best

http://procedural-generation.tumblr.com/post/112509130817/elite-1984-elite-created-by-ian-bell-and-david

The fact they got elite to run in 32K of ram still makes me :aaaaa:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

the display takes up 20K so the game actually runs in 12K, which is an even bigger :aaaaa:

it also changes display modes 2/3rds of the way down the screen so that the radar and status area can be drawn at a lower resolution but with more colours

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Sep 1, 2016

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Sweevo posted:

the display takes up 20K so the game actually runs in 12K, which is an even bigger :aaaaa:

it also changes display modes 2/3rds of the way down the screen so that the radar and status area can be drawn at a lower resolution but with more colours

Mode 0 top / mode 2 bottom. Is it bad I can still remember that :ohdear:

The split display mode cheat is amazing given the hardware wasn't designed to do that.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

quote:

Using a patented nanotechnology-enhanced textile that REPELS the mosquitos that carry Zika, we are manufacturing stylish but affordable garments that women can wear during the day to protect themselves agains the Zika virus.

from that republic.co site lol

also backing the hell out of the turtle hat

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofgames/barkley-2-an-rpg-sequel-to-barkley-shut-up-and-jam/posts/1612543 posted:

News on Barkley

Work continues. We added a rather unique aspect to the game, that we're not sure exists anywhere else: procedurally generated menu borders. That's right, as you navigate the extensive menus in the game, the information described therein tend to be rather dynamic. For example, if meet certain requirements, you might be able to rent certain equipment as well as just purchase it. Since the inherent nature of the game is to represent itself based on player knowledge and not just what has been designed, we want the menus to adjust and take the form of whatever you the player have the options to do.

So menus adjust to what you have the ability, and by that, they need dynamic borders. A single line that just stretched out is too boring. Frankie made a bunch of pieces here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkagiyYP9u8
We'll keep at this drat thing and we hope to have a good visible VERTICAL SLICE in the next few months. Thank you again for waiting.

As Kurzweil once said "the only thing that's gonna get me in bed with that Sexy Blue Hedgehog is Patience."

Graff
May 10, 2012

jre posted:

Mode 0 top / mode 2 bottom. Is it bad I can still remember that :ohdear:

The split display mode cheat is amazing given the hardware wasn't designed to do that.

i have dim memories of doing palette changes synced to scan lines in machine code when i was a wee childe, and it was long

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Sweevo posted:

atari8 computers had a cool system for this, you constructed a "display list" that would get played back during each refresh of the screen and it could change video modes at any point in time. you could alternate slices of graphics and character modes if u wanted, there were no restrictions that I remember

(this probably makes atari8 emulators super not fun to write)

idk if the bbc micro had something similar but it might have (e: guess not according to later posts)

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

what

did that wall of text just describe line wrapping as a feature

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Yodzilla posted:

what

i assumed it was randomly generated window borders, but maybe

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Yodzilla posted:

what

nah the menu borders change to reflect your abilities. as far as i could tell from the video this means that sometimes they're metal plating and sometimes they're exposed wires. i had it muted and i skipped around a lot though, maybe it's something cooler.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
all right i just actually watched the video and that's it, the video just explains tiled graphics because that's something the people who will play charles barkley 2 are ignorant of and need help to understand

also the guy says it's time-lapsed livestream footage and holy poo poo that must have been unwatchably dull the first time around

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 2, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the kickstarter is over, a lil over $450k :shobon:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sweevo posted:

now look up elite-a, which is a hack that adds features like multiple flyable ships, missions, and online help, and still runs on a bbc b

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

anthonypants posted:

the kickstarter is over, a lil over $450k :shobon:

good on him, imo he should just keep the money he deserves em

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Snapchat A Titty posted:

good on him, imo he should just keep the money he deserves em
sure but i still want a question hound

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

sure & you deserve it i guess

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

how did some idiot make this image in recent history

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Soricidus posted:

now look up elite-a, which is a hack that adds features like multiple flyable ships, missions, and online help, and still runs on a bbc b
elite-a, queen of mars

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sham bam bamina! posted:

all right i just actually watched the video and that's it, the video just explains tiled graphics because that's something the people who will play charles barkley 2 are ignorant of and need help to understand

also the guy says it's time-lapsed livestream footage and holy poo poo that must have been unwatchably dull the first time around

Sometimes I've watched the pixel art stream, it's alright. Also they updated an old game and rereleased it in the meantime to test out the steam publishing platform

http://store.steampowered.com/app/511380/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lancemantis posted:

how did some idiot make this image in recent history

You're late with this one:

https://3dprint.com/133842/peachy-printer-embezzlement/

• Locked thread