Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
10k egg....Jynx! All right! Ms. Popo has Frost Breath and Draining Kiss.

So I have a Jynx, Lapras, Scyther, Magmar, Aerodactyl, Dratini, and a few Eevees from 10k eggs. Holding out for a Snorlax or another Lapras, but gently caress, even another Eeevee would be good for all the candy.

I need ONE more loving Cubone to evolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Wow, I got another 10k egg, and it hatched into a Snorlax... that knows earthquake, just like the other one. Man, I hope the buddy system has some kind of move training.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Eyochigan posted:

Gym Defenders take advantage with slow primary attacks, and fast specials. Slow primaries because there is a standard 2 seconds delay between AI attacks. and fast specials because they typically do more damage and can be spammed (incoming damage increases charge too) and multiples are harder to dodge. That means your opponent may have to stop attacking to deliberately time his dodges, they may screw up, etc.

And stop friggin cheating you cheaters. I am THE rural player. I have every excuse to GPS spoof but I drive 40 minutes when I want to play, and I use my time efficiently. You're a piece of poo poo if you never go above a walking pace. :colbert:

Cyclists are cheaters too then. I mean yeah the game doesn't tell you where a pokemon is, it just tells you it's nearby. It used to give degrees of accuracy, it broke, remains broken. But do you have any idea how hard you can run for a pokemon that appears outside of the sightings list with a low remaining timer? I've pushed ridiculous lengths for squirtles. I would never reach that kind of pace or level of excitement over the current sightings system. And isn't the new system going to show us exact pokemon locations? Still I would prefer a longer range. You should be able to decide between 200m, 500m, 1000m based on your level of fitness.

Scanners and spoofing is apples to oranges. I prefer not to use the scanner because it's inconvenient and against the ToS, but I also prefer to not waste time and demoralize myself when I've already made so much progress physically.

Anti-scanner :smug: because for the PUREPOKEGOEXPERIENCE is hilarious when it is the only thing that is keeping the current game on life support, no thanks to the next to worthless sighting system.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 3, 2016

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
I might be misunderstanding your post. I use scanners because they're fun and they promote actual fitness with clear objectives and rewards as opposed to walking around blindly and hoping to maybe run into something. I don't want to be banned for it and I don't like tabbing out of my game because my game restarts everytime I do that so I would prefer Niantic to improve upon their design by what the user base has shown interest in.

They've made a step in the right direction with the new SF tracker, but they're making it too easy without enabling long distance scanning. I would be fine with the footstep system but it was broken before the game officially released here.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

This is wrong.

I remember when this one came out on reddit. Guy did all theory, no calculation. Those type matchups make sense but don't take into account base stats or DPS.

Unfortunately, Niantic thought type matchups shouldn't be as important, so his theory is off by quite a bit from reality.

I would provide a corrected version, but I'm still without power and probably will be for a week. I might go to a library since they have a generator, but they may not have WiFi.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

okay, it's wrong, but is it good enough? it's not like everyone has every pokemon with every move anyway

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is it good enough? Yes I guess?

It presents itself as a guide for picking good pokemon to fight with. You can win with those pokemon if you're attacking enemy gyms because winning those fights is easy.

But there are other attackers who will do much much better, some of which are more common. So if you care enough to use a list like that you probably want actual rankings that will make fighting easier. That list makes you pick ~suboptimal~ pokemon which is kind of worse than getting cancer.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Eyochigan posted:

I might be misunderstanding your post. I use scanners because they're fun and they promote actual fitness with clear objectives and rewards as opposed to walking around blindly and hoping to maybe run into something. I don't want to be banned for it and I don't like tabbing out of my game because my game restarts everytime I do that so I would prefer Niantic to improve upon their design by what the user base has shown interest in.

They've made a step in the right direction with the new SF tracker, but they're making it too easy without enabling long distance scanning. I would be fine with the footstep system but it was broken before the game officially released here.

I really do not understand the mentality of only having sf test the new scanner, when everyone else is stuck with an obviously broken one. What on earth is the point of such a limit?

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Man, woke up this morning and 6 lovely pokes ran from me in a row. This wouldn't have happened if the tracker wasn't broken.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Colonel Squish posted:

Man, woke up this morning and 6 lovely pokes ran from me in a row. This wouldn't have happened if the tracker wasn't broken.

Thanks pokebama.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
My last three 10k eggs were all chancy. I mean, yay, but do I really need three of them when I don't have a single snorlax yet?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
Considering nobody here seems to have played the beta but me, how do the broken tracker people think the tracker is supposed to have worked? Pikachu never sucked your dick harder the closer you got to finding him.

My 7 year old can triangulate with the current tracker completely on his own. I had to do the same thing with the beta tracker.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Footprints that worked.

And the order of pokemon on your nearby list mattered.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Just did some googling on the sf tracker and it appears it will only benefit those with loads of pokestops near them... because clearly they needed an advantage over pokestop desert folks like myself. What a dumb company.

Cartouche fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 3, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

the original tracking system had to be exactly like the python scanner. everyone had short radius scanner centered on them at all times. cool until 10 million people show up

way later, they implement a new netcode, and now they are trying to make that server load bearable in a demo audience. it appears that the ingame scanners are now centered on stops instead of people in a hybrid system that combines your dumb-scan sightings and stops smart-scan data.

i dont think they have a chance at making individual tracking work like the old system. might as well scan it yourself

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

:toot:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Colonel Squish posted:

Soonmot posted:

My last three 10k eggs were all chancy. I mean, yay, but do I really need three of them when I don't have a single snorlax yet?

Last night I successfully triangulated the location of a Pikachu, but then he ran away after 3 raspberries+ultraballs. Really a let down after successfully finding him.

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015
I had an Abra run away on me. Was it just my imagination, or did it not have those motion lines when it ran away, suggesting that it teleported?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Cartouche posted:

Just did some googling on the sf tracker and it appears it will only benefit those with loads of pokestops near them... because clearly they needed an advantage over pokestop desert folks like myself. What a dumb company.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Colonel Squish posted:

I can post a guide...

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

:hfive:

SilverGryphon
Oct 14, 2012

This might just be fun after all.
So I got my first Charmander the other day.

On the Seattle ferry.

I keep seeing Ponyta on the ferry too...

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Here's a thing which helps with tracking. For me it has completely changed 5the feeling of seeing something in the tracker from "dammit" to "gently caress yeah it's go time".

Go to this website: https://pokegovenn.github.io

The basic idea is that you put a green circle where the Pokemon shows in your sightings list, and a red one when it disappears. The remaining green are potential locations. Putting multiple greens also helps rule out areas because only overlapping green is a possible location. The closer to the edge of where it appears you get the red circle to more accurate it is.

Here's an example: I was on my bike stuck at a long rear end stoplight so I pulled out my phone and saw a shadow of a Persian. Game on. (I only started taking screenshots halfway through so I went back and recreated it.)

First green circle:

Went up the road a bit and it still showed. Second green circle:

A few yards later it disappeared. First red circle:

Since it didn't show up when I was at the light I went to the overlap up Palo Duro to the right. No kitty popped up but it was still showing on tracker. Third green circle:

I didn't need to but I decided to check at the corner of Palo Duro and Woodrow when I stopped to turn. No cat on tracker. Red circle number two:

Went to that intersection of circles on Koenig. Hello there...

It gets a little squirrelly if there are two of the same Pokemon around but it still works, just a little more complex

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Looks useful. I read the URL as PokeG Oven initally, and was confused.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
What the gently caress man?

They change something over night? loving Pidgey ran away after a couple fruited great balls too. gently caress you game.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
More info on the buddy system found in the game code: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/50z8eu/buddy_system_info/

Looks like candy will be rewarded on 1/2/3 KM, depending on the 'mon you pick.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's not too bad.

Edit: except, like, Pokémon that take 400 candies to evolve are probably only gonna poop candies every 3k, so it's still kind of lovely.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Geoff Zahn posted:

depending on the 'mon you pick.

I kind of wish they would even mons out so that there are not a few lottery mons and the balance trash.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Louisgod posted:

They change something over night? loving Pidgey ran away after a couple fruited great balls too. gently caress you game.

Wait, did the disappear out of your poke storage?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm going to choose a growlithe buddy so I can slowly farm up a good arcanine, then I'll prob swap to lapras so I can finally get more than the handful of candies it hatched with.

I wouldn't recommend using a magikarp since that'd be a ton of candies wasted on a trap pokemon. It might be worth it if you somehow don't have any magikarp in your area.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Louisgod posted:

You either got flagged for a false positive and got temp shadow banned or you had some extremely bad luck. Did you try throwing the ball when the circle is the smallest? I've seen a lot of guides that recommend that.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS

Broseph Brostar posted:

I wouldn't recommend using a magikarp since that'd be a ton of candies wasted on a trap pokemon. It might be worth it if you somehow don't have any magikarp in your area.

This. There are no water types here at all (lots of ground/fire though) so magikarp might be a real thing to do.

It is funny hearing people complain about the scarcity of Pikachu though, when they're pretty common here.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Jiggly puff, geodude, clefairy and pikachu all one per Km. Rest are garbage min or two/3. Magikarp also one but gently caress that.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Anybody know what the colored spawn points mean on the newest version of the scanner? Does that denote type or rarity, or is it just to
help differentiate different ones?

Also pokestumble works again and it now shows you nearby pokes and the area they should be in.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Broseph Brostar posted:

Also pokestumble works again and it now shows you nearby pokes and the area they should be in.

THANK YOU. Site rules.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

LumpyGumby posted:

It is funny hearing people complain about the scarcity of Pikachu though, when they're pretty common here.

Charmander and Pikachu are just impossible to find here (I've seen two of each and half of them ran) but we have a shitload of eevee and bulbasaur I guess. If I had to guess I'd say it's because we're not a huge city and there's still plenty of forest but who knows

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anybody know what the colored spawn points mean on the newest version of the scanner? Does that denote type or rarity, or is it just to
help differentiate different ones?

Not 100% on how accurate the areas for the "nearby" pokes are. Could easily be mistaken but I used it at Rehoboth Beach, where a lot of rare mons are and often they weren't in the rectangular area represented.

Colonel Squish
Feb 18, 2012

Dahbadu posted:

I can post a guide...

Your guides are the only reason I have any Pokemon at all.

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo

Geoff Zahn posted:

More info on the buddy system found in the game code: https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/50z8eu/buddy_system_info/

Looks like candy will be rewarded on 1/2/3 KM, depending on the 'mon you pick.

This is probably just some poo poo that guy made up, nobody else can find it in the code https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRoad/comments/50z8eu/buddy_system_info/d782t6l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!
and then 10 minutes later someone posted

quote:

If you compare it to the original game_master file (uploaded by OP 15 days ago) you can see the kmBuddyDistance and buddySize values added to each pokemon listing.
tl;dr - these are the correct values for the buddy system

• Locked thread