Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, that remix is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

yeah i'm a sucker for the glock samples

Stryder
Oct 3, 2002
I can't fault Trent for his remix projects because he introduced me to N.E.R.D. and made me a fan for life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6-Q1BfFU_8

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

magiccarpet posted:

let me tell you about the late 90s
It's really kind of funny/sad that back then, four or five years between albums was huge and now it's pretty common. The Downward Spiral and The Fragile came out almost exactly the same length of time apart as The Slip and Hesitation Marks, except that between 1994 and 1999 NIN did something like 200 concerts, and between 2008 and 2013 like 20.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Masonic Youth posted:

between 2008 and 2013 like 20.

I am pretty sure this is not true.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

joebob posted:

I am pretty sure this is not true.
Ah, poo poo, you're right, I was only thinking of the Jane's Addiction tour and the Wave Goodbye shows, I forgot they did a headlining tour in support of The Slip. It still wasn't as big or long as Self Destruct though.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Masonic Youth posted:

The Downward Spiral and The Fragile came out almost exactly the same length of time apart as The Slip and Hesitation Marks

except he released two full length film soundtracks in between those latter two albums, as well as some HTDA work iirc.

Whereas between TDS and The Fragile, there was very little new TR material of any kind, just a couple one off songs for movies (which were good, but not the same thing as a full soundtrack)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It was also more or less expected to be the end of NIN, so it didn't seem weird that NIN wasn't doing much during that time.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

also there was the Saul Williams album he produced I think that happened around then as well?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Earwicker posted:

also there was the Saul Williams album he produced I think that happened around then as well?

IIRC the Saul Williams album was before Ghosts. Nobody paid for the Saul Williams album, so Trent was like "okay I guess only PART of Ghosts will be free, not making that mistake again (sorry Saul)"

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Niggytardust came out after year zero, then he made ghosts, then he put out the slip shortly after.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Sir Lemming posted:

IIRC the Saul Williams album was before Ghosts. Nobody paid for the Saul Williams album, so Trent was like "okay I guess only PART of Ghosts will be free, not making that mistake again (sorry Saul)"

It was kinda funny because he was like a disappointed dad in his blog post. 'it sold 28k compared to the 34k that saul's last album sold (after 4 years) and 155k got to hear it but it's not in rainbows level of success. i expected better from you kids :qq:'

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 3, 2016

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Well Saul isn't exactly Radiohead. Dunno why TR would even think to compare.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also even Radiohead were extremely disappointed in how many people didn't pay for In Rainbows and said they'd never do anything like that again so I don't know what they were expecting with NT

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I mean in those days they were just trying to experiment with new ways to sell albums. they both obviously learned lessons from those experiences.

There was no Spotify back then, it was just a Wild West.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
It's worth noting that the pay-what-you-want In Rainbows was released in 128 or 192 cbr quality (dont remember which) and being the enormous nerd that I am I'm pretty sure I pirated it in a higher quality. Dumb choice on their part really.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
There were rumours that radiohead toured in relation to how much on average you paid for in rainbows.

Which makes it hilarious they didn't tour Australia

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LordPants posted:

Which makes it hilarious they didn't tour Australia

You're a convict colonyyyyy

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sir Lemming posted:

If Vezzini taught me anything growing up, it was this, and also whether or not to get involved in a land war in Asia.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Sir Lemming posted:

...and you don't really want it!
(repeat x10)

I already liked Saul Williams before Niggy Tardust came out and so I was glad to actually pay for that one. I'm also thrilled you can just listen to it on Spotify these days, even though it has a bunch of bonus tracks on there that are subpar (except for his version/remix of HYPERPOWER).

an oddly awful oud
May 1, 2008

all my friends are pieces of shit

Mierenneuker posted:

...and you don't really want it!
(repeat x10)

I already liked Saul Williams before Niggy Tardust came out and so I was glad to actually pay for that one. I'm also thrilled you can just listen to it on Spotify these days, even though it has a bunch of bonus tracks on there that are subpar (except for his version/remix of HYPERPOWER).

I wish Gunshots By Computer had been the actual opening track of YZ.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

an oddly awful oud posted:

I wish Gunshots By Computer had been the actual opening track of YZ.

Same. I swap it out on my YZ playlist because Gunshots By Computer owns.

Molestationary Store
May 21, 2007

TR and Atticus and Mogwai and Gustavo Santaolalla scored a Leo DiCaprio docu.
http://pitchfork.com/news/68150-trent-reznor-and-mogwai-score-leonardo-dicaprio-climate-change-film-before-the-flood/
Yay?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I have no idea who the latter is, but yay.

Edit: Did some research. A definite yay.
...and while I'm at it, let me drop a Mogwai song from a different documentary you might all enjoy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBlbOdaUWbo

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 9, 2016

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

That is a very cool combination of musicians but the documentary itself sounds kind of awful

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

A doc about the work Trent did before Flood sounds pretty cool to me even if it was cheese. I'm sure there's a lot we don't know

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sintax posted:

It's worth noting that the pay-what-you-want In Rainbows was released in 128 or 192 cbr quality (dont remember which) and being the enormous nerd that I am I'm pretty sure I pirated it in a higher quality. Dumb choice on their part really.

It was 160kbps, lol

Somebody asked them what was up with the bitrate and some rep said that the pay-what-you-want wasn't the "official" album release, it was just marketing for the actual label-backed release in January. So Radiohead convinced everyone to pay them to be marketed to. Fuckers.

Saul Williams deserved (and still does deserve) better. If you read up on the dude's career it's pretty sad. He starred in a musical that only lasted 17 shows and now he's working with the guys behind She Wants Revenge, oof.

Immolat1on
Sep 9, 2005
Was the soundtrack for The Crow recently released or something? I stumbled upon Dead Souls on youtube and looked up the movie was released in 1994 but I had never heard the song before. I go to check spotify and its currently #8 in their top town most popular which I never remember seeing. But its also listed on the Downward Spiral so I did just happen to skip over it? But even then why is it suddenly trending?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Immolat1on posted:

Was the soundtrack for The Crow recently released or something? I stumbled upon Dead Souls on youtube and looked up the movie was released in 1994 but I had never heard the song before. I go to check spotify and its currently #8 in their top town most popular which I never remember seeing. But its also listed on the Downward Spiral so I did just happen to skip over it? But even then why is it suddenly trending?

No.

The song was released in the soundtrack for that movie.

It was later bundled in the deluxe remaster of the downward spiral later. That's probably the album you're listening to with all the other b-sides and remixes.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

The chorus to Dead Souls makes for an excellent ringtone BTW.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Mierenneuker posted:

The chorus to Dead Souls makes for an excellent ringtone BTW.

That is amazing. I'm going to have to do that now.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Immolat1on posted:

i'm the reason the Soundtrack moved up a few pegs, I added the entire thing to my playlist last week and have been playing it every time i'm in the car.

It's a good soundtrack damnit.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite thing about The Crow soundtrack album is how it opens with a song by The Cure, a great song, but one that the band didn't even remember recording when it was brought up to them more than a decade later.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

It really is a paint by numbers mid-90's Cure track, in my opinion holds up better than the 1995 "Dredd Song" from the Stallone/Schneider joint.

That "Dead Souls" cover was a pretty great version, and excellent timing. I remember seeing it performed on that self-destruct tour in '94 as an encore and being super excited (especially since we had gotten "Get Down Make Love" earlier in the evening).

The sequel soundtrack had a serious decrease in quality, with Bush doing a super boring cover of "In A Lonely Place."

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I actually love that he does this. In film scoring, it's called a 'leitmotif'; when the score is very familiar and repeats itself based on what you're seeing.
Once I saw them live and they played La Mer and Into the Void blended together back to back and it was the best.

What version of The Day the World Went Away do folks tend to like better, the Quiet or Still version? I tend to like the vocals in Quiet better, but the music in Still better.

Also, Still is a great EP that doesn't get enough credit.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

No.

The song was released in the soundtrack for that movie.

It was later bundled in the deluxe remaster of the downward spiral later. That's probably the album you're listening to with all the other b-sides and remixes.

At least two other songs on that soundtrack appeared on the soundtrack first before being released on the respective band's albums. STP's Big Easy and Helmet's Milktoast (spelled milquetoast on the Betty album).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Pirate Jet posted:

Saul Williams deserved (and still does deserve) better. If you read up on the dude's career it's pretty sad. He starred in a musical that only lasted 17 shows and now he's working with the guys behind She Wants Revenge, oof.

(This won't be a popular opinion but) Saul's kinda stupid. Trent wanted to do NiggyTardust 2 but he decided to gently caress off to Paris with his Nike money for a couple of years. When Occupy was going on and things were at a rolling boiling for his style of art, he released Volcanic Sunlight. It's not a bad album but talk about wrong place/wrong time. We finally got the album that should have been the follow up to NiggyTardust but it's too late to make any sort of impact.

There's also funny incidents sprinkled throughout that time like him crowdsourcing a book of poetry where the poets were barely compensated and getting invited to Kanye West's studio in Paris but getting so drunk that he blacked out in front of the booth.

All that said, I really enjoyed MartyrLoserKing and would love to see him perform live if he ever came to my area again. I saw him on his Volcanic Sunlight tour in a tiny bar and it was spectacular.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
He also did some long rear end spoken word album and the digital download files were aiffs or some poo poo, and nobody could play them unless you used QuickTime on a mac

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Volcanic Sunlight definitely wasn't the followup I expected to NiggyTardust. I still hope he and Trent do a followup at some point, even if its just a spiritual sequel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
IMO Saul's music doesn't do anything for me. I'd prefer Trent not waste his time.