Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Nuns with Guns posted:

It's pretty clever if you have the fans to leverage it, honestly. Gating access behind at least an extra $152 means only dedicated fans or people already interested in the pitch will jump for it. They'll be the ones playtesting it and talking about how COOL and INNOVATIVE the game is while all the scrubs have to squirm with envy, plus the severely limited playtest pool will already come biased in favor of the game and its rules

I'm not saying it's not a smart move.

Just a shameful one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

dwarf74 posted:

So... They're suggesting International backers who don't want to pay for shipping costs should instead back for PDF add-ons for a Pyramid subscription just to show enough support that eventually it might make it to a hobby shop somewhere near them? Is that right?
Why not I guess?

I mean if people want a thing, but wont pay for it up front, try and get it brought to you later by kicking in for something else you might like now?

Makes (at least) as much sense as the people that want free shipping around the planet.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GaistHeidegger posted:

Not familiar with this, is there somewhere I could read it?

Greg Stolze was working for White Wolf, when he asked about the difference between raising the target number and requiring more successes. The response he got was that nobody knew and nobody cared, and he should just do "what feels right".

This indirectly lead to the creation of the One Roll Engine, because Stolze was musing about how he could make it so that those two actually were different, and it lead him down the path of making it so that successes were matched sets of dice, but the target number was whatever matched sets you got rather than an arbitrary value set by the GM, and that idea would eventually become ORE because analyzing the two axes of the dice rolls would give you more results/more information than just a single pass/fail axis.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"

gradenko_2000 posted:

Greg Stolze was working for White Wolf, when he asked about the difference between raising the target number and requiring more successes. The response he got was that nobody knew and nobody cared, and he should just do "what feels right".

This indirectly lead to the creation of the One Roll Engine, because Stolze was musing about how he could make it so that those two actually were different, and it lead him down the path of making it so that successes were matched sets of dice, but the target number was whatever matched sets you got rather than an arbitrary value set by the GM, and that idea would eventually become ORE because analyzing the two axes of the dice rolls would give you more results/more information than just a single pass/fail axis.

Thanks! That's pretty amazing and hilarious, really; I have not actually checked out ORE yet before, but I'll need to do so.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Oh man I don't even know what to make of the Dungeon Fantasty GURPS update.

My preferred store stopped carrying GURPS in late third edition, but I'm sure they'd be happy to add a copy to their next order of Munchkin from the distributors. It feels hinky financially, but that's just me, and I don't trust myself to do my own taxes properly, let alone run a Kickstarter.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh, they added a fake PDF only tier, for effectively $36. Cool. That's a way better idea than a Pyramid sub.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Are these stretch goals a joke

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bieeardo posted:

I'm more interested in the Chaos Dwarf rear end Cannon.

:same:

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Dungeon Fantasy is gritty fantasy realism at its best (and a great example of easy-to-play GURPS).

That logo is offensive, though.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

GMSkarka posted:

I won't be sticking around to get into a back-and-forth with critics, other than to offer this one clarification:

Adamant Entertainment will never do another Kickstarter, or pre-order for anything, ever again. I've learned that lesson, <i>hard.</i>

From this point forward, you'll only hear about stuff from us when it's done and ready to be released. Not only does that save you from having to worry about putting money down for something that you fear might not materialize, but it also saves me from the stress of expectations. I can get back to just making stuff, and putting it out there. Better for everybody that way, I think.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

And he was never heard from again...

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The expectations of delivering on the thing you accepted payment for.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

NGDBSS posted:

So what we have here is a conflict resolution system with three distinct but not independent variables, which can easily spiral out of control in the best hands.

I wonder if the point of having so heavily obfuscated a main resolution mechanic that you literally can't tell if it makes any sense is that it fits the setting.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Kwyndig posted:

And he was never heard from again...

Apparently Adamant is announcing a "relaunch" with a new team member who is supposed to be a project manager. So 5 year hilarity doesn't happen with projects moving forward.

Anyone want to start a betting pool on how long before he quits?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dwarf74 posted:

Oh, they added a fake PDF only tier, for effectively $36. Cool. That's a way better idea than a Pyramid sub.

It's kind of baffling that they didn't think people would want PDFs of the updated/revised material that's making up the box set.

alg posted:

I think after the Ogre kickstarter they've made it a core goal to never ever lose money on shipping again.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Swagger Dagger posted:

It's kind of baffling that they didn't think people would want PDFs of the updated/revised material that's making up the box set.

I think after the Ogre kickstarter they've made it a core goal to never ever lose money on shipping again.

Why don't they just charge actuals for shipping in the pledge manager? I never understand people who don't do this.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Why don't they just charge actuals for shipping in the pledge manager? I never understand people who don't do this.

I'm not an expert on shipping costs or anything but given that this is supposed to ship in may of next year, there's a large risk of shipping costs increasing between now and then, especially internationally.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

alg posted:

If both shipping ones are met they are giving up like $20,000 in order to give almost free shipping. Thats actually pretty big.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'm not an expert on shipping costs or anything but given that this is supposed to ship in may of next year, there's a large risk of shipping costs increasing between now and then, especially internationally.

Yeah, true. I guess most of the wash-ups I've seen have been people significantly underestimating the cost of international shipping and not saying 'royal mail jacked up all international shipping costs between the kickstarter closing.'

As an armchair critic though, who knows.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

You backed a process; the process of eliminination.

Germ
May 7, 2013

International shipping from the US has become embarrassingly expensive and terrifyingly unpredictable. Short of an overseas manufacturing partner or (for a large KS) an overseas distribution partner, overseas shipping is really hard to justify.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Not to make this thread political, but if one US presidential candidate wins there is a great deal more uncertainty as to what shipping prices will be internationally.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Not to make this thread political, but if one US presidential candidate wins there is a great deal more uncertainty as to what shipping prices will be internationally.

If that one candidate wins, the entire Earth has a lot more things to worry about.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Covok posted:

If that one candidate wins, the entire Earth has a lot more things to worry about.
Pardon you good sir! Are you certain you mean to imply that there is something more serious, more important than the speedy delivery of a needed game to its investor?!

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Zak S giving shout outs to this thread in his latest blog post :v:

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why are you reading his blog? He's a boring writer and grognards.txt is dead because his boring posts filled it up.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Folks, if you talked about Zak every time he wanked himself raw to an SA post we'd need to bring grognards.txt back to contain the garbage. Talk about Kickstarters! :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Ettin posted:

we'd need to bring grognards.txt back
You tease.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

chaos rhames posted:

Why are you reading his blog? He's a boring writer and grognards.txt is dead because his boring posts filled it up.

A friend linked me to his blog when I got involved in a stupid argument about gender representation in tabletop/etc. I thought his Slaanesh post was pretty good, so I added the blog to my RSS feed reader.

Ettin posted:

Folks, if you talked about Zak every time he wanked himself raw to an SA post we'd need to bring grognards.txt back to contain the garbage. Talk about Kickstarters! :v:

In that case: it looks like PING have finally got their poo poo together and copies of Human Interface - Nakamura Tower have started to arrive. My copy was dispatched 12 weeks ago and went missing, but a new copy should be delivered on Monday.

This should hopefully mean I'll have something to paint for the *punk challenge in the Oath thread, and I hope my Basius III pads turn up in time so I can actually base them properly from the start.

And crossposting from the Mantic thread, as the Kickstarter stuff for Walking Dead should be dispatched shortly:

glitchkrieg posted:

Looks like my local club will be holding a Walking Dead day in November. And judging by events in the past, we might have a visit from Ronnie.

So if you're in London and you're interested, uhm... I'll post more details closer to the time, when they're available.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FRINGE posted:

Pardon you good sir! Are you certain you mean to imply that there is something more serious, more important than the speedy delivery of a needed game to its investor?!

Nuclear War 50th Anniversary Edition wasn't a Kickstarter though.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
Words about Torment:

http://www.pcgamesn.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/torment-tides-of-numenera-kickstarter-gameplay

I like surprises so I just skimmed it, but its looking good.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Helical Nightmares posted:

Actually, looks like, on this issue at least, there is already something occurring that may gently caress things up. Apparently, a bankruptcy may gently caress up world wide shipping rates.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
The famous Swedish RPG Trudvang Chronicles is finally getting an english translation! It looks loving beautiful, and sounds like a fairly good amount of things for the amount pledged.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Hiro Protagonist posted:

The famous Swedish RPG Trudvang Chronicles is finally getting an english translation! It looks loving beautiful, and sounds like a fairly good amount of things for the amount pledged.

It looks pretty, but Im afraid its "fame" never reached anyone I know...

Price seems reasonable.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That's a good price and the art is incredible.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jonathan Green is kickstarting another gamebook, "The Wicked Wizard of Oz", a diesel-punk version of the regular Wizard of Oz. While Diesel-punk (or anything-punk other than cyberpunk) doesn't really appeal to me the guy is great at making these things so it should come out great. He's written a bunch of Fighting Fantasy books and also "YOU are the Hero" which is a pretty cool history of the series.

Anyway I backed it as soon as I saw it being the type of nerd who likes these kind of books. If you're in the UK I'm pretty sure postage is free which is a bonus.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

alg posted:

That's a good price and the art is incredible.

:catstare: Holy crap that art!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Lot of tits out in that art.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Kwyndig posted:

Lot of tits out in that art.

It's not particularly sexualised though. It feels more as if, in the culture, people don't wear tops, as the women are wearing almost exactly what the men are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The monster art reminds me of those Gnomes books they put out in the Seventies.