Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NVJ
Apr 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Forums more like fagums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Darth123123 posted:

Why can't we hate?

u can if u wanna bro im not ur dad

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
if you don't read my effort posts you are being hateful toward autism, so way to go rear end in a top hat you done hosed up

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Ignoring my opinion is actually very disrespectful to me and my people. As a straight, white male, I have privilege and you should respect that.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
i don't hate trannies in much the same way i don't hate people with down syndrome

Triggered
Aug 21, 2016

Learn about this great man on mormon.org

Darth123123 posted:

That Mormon guy got religion in my Reddit thread.

Please fill this out brother

https://www.mormon.org.uk/missionaries

This is me irl

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Wizard of Poz posted:

i don't hate trannies in much the same way i don't hate people with down syndrome

Body dysmorphia is treatable.

Show me how you fix a downy with some summer camp. :colbert:

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

syscall girl posted:

Body dysmorphia is treatable.

Show me how you fix a downy with some summer camp. :colbert:

have u seen Friday 13th

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax

have u seen Friday 13th

this is really good

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

have u seen Friday 13th

I was gonna make a joke about robocops and your poison womb is making heaven too loving crowded, but goddamn I don't think I can top this.

several friends
Apr 7, 2015

Something Awful is like the Doobies of the Internet with the obvious difference being that Lowtax is a competent shill.

onlypaidforscatpix
Sep 2, 2016
i heard SA described once as "softcore 4chan"

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Fat Shat Sings posted:

can't that just be a natural consequence though instead of some kind of conspiracy?

I can see the subject of what you are saying being true, like the type of information that is most consumed is heavily curated and not free at all which is controlled by special interests, but it's just a result of more people using the internet and since most people are stupid they gravitate toward the lowest common denominator of information outlets.

Like if a co-worker comes to me and goes "SEE?! Obama is a muslim!" and links me to an article "Top Ten Reasons why Obama is a Muslim" it's both a stupid message, the person reading it is too stupid to discriminate bad information from good, but I don't expect that the article is trying to control a narrative (or establishes a worldwide trend of doing so) and instead is just an idiot reading lovely information, of which there is too much of lately.

It's not a conspiracy any more than things like racism, patriarchy, or whatever other ism people prefer to go on about are. It's baked into the system, sure, but that's because the system itself is set up to consolidate power into the hands of a few. It's the Wal-Mart-ization of the internet. Whereas before you would have had to have a broadcasting license or a movie studio or a publishing house to produce media on a large scale, the internet made that obsolete. So, the folks with the money and innovators had to create products so useful or popular that everyone couldn't help but use them like google, youtube, or facebook. Once the user base coalesces there from all the other disparate sites they get to start clamping down on things like content creators and the news feed. Alternatives could be produced, but not without great costs because the products offered by these outlets have been refined and improved over time. You might be able to create a website everyone wants to look at, but managing the technical side of things and the community on such a large scale is now the same inescapable hurdle those broadcasting licenses and publishing houses used to be.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
It's just capitalism and profit motive, and the idea that google and facebook are doing literally anything to control the narrative is stupid because that would just be the tail wagging the dog

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

proof of concept posted:

It's just capitalism and profit motive, and the idea that google and facebook are doing literally anything to control the narrative is stupid because that would just be the tail wagging the dog

They're doing it both consciously and unconsciously. You can pretty much see that by how news is curated, especially now that it's election season. You're right that it's mostly the tail wagging the dog because in the end they're shilling for Hillary, but it's for sure being done on purpose.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

proof of concept posted:

iawtp

they haven't put much thought into anything but minmaxing

and what thoughts they have are all over the board

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
you might not be aware of this but google said they would do no evil so . . .

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
*gets hit by giant Shrek shot out of a meme cannon*

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Poetic Justice posted:

you might not be aware of this but google said they would do no evil so . . .

Seems to me I heard they had a big board of directors meeting where they voted on changing it to try to do no evil. Do no evil unless it makes a difference of four points or more on the stock price then try not to do evil but also think of the shareholders.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

GRANNYS PEACH TEA posted:

Seems to me I heard they had a big board of directors meeting where they voted on changing it to try to do no evil. Do no evil unless it makes a difference of four points or more on the stock price then try not to do evil but also think of the shareholders.

we can't all be perfect!

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Smythe posted:

tfw a fellow goon pulls back the curtain on the vile and conniving lame(main) stream media (MSM) and reveals to you the diabolical plots of the NWO and sjw ZETA-Male army. :stare: Cannot Unsee

the sleeper has awakened, imo

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Triggered posted:

Please fill this out brother

https://www.mormon.org.uk/missionaries

This is me irl

As a former mormon, I feel bad that you ever had to encounter that church.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

:stare:

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
they some weird mother fuckers posting itt

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ooohh, I can order myself some clueless boys straight to my apartment?
Sweeeeet.

Now where did I put my gimp suit.

hip check please
Jan 11, 2012

What is a robocop?

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

TOM HANKS posted:

What is a robocop?

A wholly owned subsidiary of OCP.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

lowtax mentioned big changes what do you think he'll do

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
downgrade to Milwaukee's best since the forums don't put out Jack Daniels money anymore

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Fat Shat Sings posted:

downgrade to Milwaukee's best since the forums don't put out Jack Daniels money anymore

Is it really Milwaukee's best, though?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are we really better than Reddit though, when you think about it? We do have a whole subforum dedicated to polishing Derek Smart's balls.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
All of these cuck and SJW types are ruining the internet. Also, im gay.

slowfreq
Dec 14, 2014

the entire internet sucks and we really just ought to shut it down altogether who's with me brothers?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jack Trades posted:

Are we really better than Reddit though, when you think about it? We do have a whole subforum dedicated to polishing Derek Smart's balls.

Well they have their own subforum for that too. Maybe we're not so different.....

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

slowfreq posted:

the entire internet sucks and we really just ought to shut it down altogether who's with me brothers?

It's too bad DARPANET was originally designed to be incredibly resistant to any sort of mass disablement.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx

Pvt.Scott posted:

It's too bad DARPANET was originally designed to be incredibly resistant to any sort of mass disablement.

p sure memes and endless skeleton/millenial/politics arguments count as "mass disablement"

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

AugmentedVision posted:

p sure memes and endless skeleton/millenial/politics arguments count as "mass disablement"

At least it's "massively disabled" for certain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

this thread has 36 pages

nice meltdown SA

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's time to end this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades