Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

For goodness sake I'm just saying it's one more thing to add to how unreliable the trackers are. Cancel the dogpile, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played 12 games last night, including all of my placement matches, and went 9-3. Placed at about 2600. All but one game was lots of fun and evenly matched. Something about match making feels better this season. I'm hyped.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
It looks like everyone that finished placements on Friday have been typically placed higher than people that finished placements on Thursday.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

The official CP rewards for Season 2:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Well, finished my placement matches and...

1923. Silver.

jfc, how bad am I really at this game? :smith:

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
i did my placement matches last night

by match three i was getting poo poo from SERIOUS GAMERS telling me to "get good" and "i know you're low level, but :smug:"

glad to see the moba crowd is enjoying overwatch.

went 7-3, placed platinum. I dunno what level those shitheads were used to playing at

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I'm really interested to see the tier percent composition breakdowns because I don't think 2500 is the median point, at least with how the rankings are broken up.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Dragongem posted:

I'm really interested to see the tier percent composition breakdowns because I don't think 2500 is the median point, at least with how the rankings are broken up.

I think in S1 Kaplan was quoted as saying the median was some where in the low 40s, maybe 43? So guessing low gold/high silver would be that point in S2. Of course Blizzard will never release detailed figures on this unfortunately.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Do win/loss stats even matter? If MMR is working you should be hovering between 40/60 % because of hot and cold streaks yea? Shouldn't the stats that matter be deaths per game if a tank, kdr if offense, and healing and deaths if healer?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Matter for what? They're not factored into the matchmaking directly, no.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

Read that ^ for an exhaustively detailed (but necessarily still not comprehensive) explanation of what they do consider. If the matchmaking is doing its job, you should be averaging about a 50% win rate because that's what it means to be evenly matched. But the matchmaker does NOT consider your win rate in any way, shape, or form for deciding who to match you against.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

Well, finished my placement matches and...

1923. Silver.

jfc, how bad am I really at this game? :smith:

I finished silver too. Post placement matches have been a total poo poo show. It's fantastic.

I haven't played a fps since DoD:S, so I know I'm horrible, I just wish there at least a little communication and teamwork going on.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Happy Hedonist posted:

I finished silver too. Post placement matches have been a total poo poo show. It's fantastic.

I haven't played a fps since DoD:S, so I know I'm horrible, I just wish there at least a little communication and teamwork going on.

My last placement match was Dorado; attack went as you would expect from solo queuing, we managed to get to the last stretch but never capped. Everyone was on team chat but I was the only one doing callouts which went largely ignored.
Then we get on defence... and a guy on our team leaves the game 10 seconds in.

We managed to hold them off somehow and they didn't cap, but they ended up winning because of distance travelled. :(

At least we won my first post-placement match and clawed my way to gold, so I guess that's something?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bastion is actually really good now as a stall tactic with the new time bank system

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Current PC SR stats from MasterOverwatch:

It doesn't seem like the distribution is any 'flatter' than Season 1 yet (87% are still between 2000-3000). I know that logically these stats are probably skewed to the right because better players are more likely to look up their stats, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe these are pretty accurate (based on how even terrible players are quick to give pro advice and complain about their stats).

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Edmond Dantes posted:

My last placement match was Dorado; attack went as you would expect from solo queuing, we managed to get to the last stretch but never capped. Everyone was on team chat but I was the only one doing callouts which went largely ignored.
Then we get on defence... and a guy on our team leaves the game 10 seconds in.

We managed to hold them off somehow and they didn't cap, but they ended up winning because of distance travelled. :(

At least we won my first post-placement match and clawed my way to gold, so I guess that's something?

If yesterday was any indication, I'll be stuck in silver all season. :v:

I really don't care too much because I'm just trying to learn to aim again and at least I don't have to deal with teams of 6 tracers in competitive.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
My placement matches were basically like Quick Play. People picking the most idiotic possible characters, getting a swathe of DPS and no tanks. I literally feel forced into healing just because we won't have a healer (except possibly an Ana who can't hit anything) if I don't. Came out with low gold rank. Can't heal people who run in single file like easy bots and die over and over again despite repeated requests to wait and group up. Can't heal teams where 4 people split off and flank by separate routes where they're not disrupting anything or killing healers. So yeah, my stats sucked real hard for most of my matches, and to the "Get gud" responses, what's the strategy here? Give up and stop playing the game? Pick the 6th DPS and laugh as the world burns?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

try playing quick play instead

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i went 6-4 in season 1 and qualified at 46 only to solo queue mostly mercy my way to 23
5-4-1 in qualifiers this season and I'm silver, seems right

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

SadisTech posted:

So yeah, my stats sucked real hard for most of my matches, and to the "Get gud" responses, what's the strategy here? Give up and stop playing the game? Pick the 6th DPS and laugh as the world burns?

Post videos of your gameplay in the tryhard thread and people will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong. If you ask vague questions you're going to get vague answers, so either ask extremely specific questions or no one can help you. If you aren't constantly asking yourself questions about what you could have done better in a given situation then you won't be getting better.

The only time 6 dps can work is if they just mulch through everything before healers and tank's damage mitigation can even the damage output. The latter will almost always happen.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Qualified significantly higher than season 1. Only one game away from Platinum.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Discospawn posted:

It doesn't seem like the distribution is any 'flatter' than Season 1 yet (87% are still between 2000-3000). I know that logically these stats are probably skewed to the right because better players are more likely to look up their stats, but I'm starting to wonder if maybe these are pretty accurate (based on how even terrible players are quick to give pro advice and complain about their stats).

better players are also much more likely to care enough about comp to already have their placements done

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I wish I were better at twitchy aiming and close range tracking. So many characters that I would otherwise like (D.Va) are no-gos for me because I can't aim accurately enough :smith:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you have a high sensitivity, turn it down. just that alone helps a lot for tracking people

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It's already on like 5.0 or so, it's just something that no amount of practice seems to ever improve for me.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Discospawn posted:

That graph seems like its purely the people who have looked up their stats on MasterOverwatch, which is a tiny minority - you can notice the number of people in the highlighted bar is 758, and the highest bar would probably be around 1000 players, a little more maybe. I seriously doubt the majority of Overwatch players are gold and diamond players (idk where diamond starts). The total number of Overwatch players is in an entirely different scales, hadn't the game sold several million copies or something like that? And as already said, people who are more likely to check sites like these are more likely to be better at the game due to a willingness to analyze themselves more.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Ciaphas posted:

It's already on like 5.0 or so, it's just something that no amount of practice seems to ever improve for me.

Without knowing your mouse's DPI, saying your sensitivity's on 5.0 could mean anything.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Ciaphas posted:

5.0 with what mouse DPI though

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It seems like some people have their sensitivity so low that they need to slide their entire arm across three desks to turn around

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Help Im Alive posted:

It seems like some people have their sensitivity so low that they need to slide their entire arm across three desks to turn around

Yes and?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ok yeah right, it's about 10 inches to a 360 turn in OW, which is pretty low near as I can tell

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

I play Overwatch like the fat WoW guy from south park so my wrist never moves more than about 3 inches

I make sure to slouch as much as I can and make an effort to expend as little energy as possible

still got platinum, this is the wu-tang secret

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Toadsmash posted:

Matter for what? They're not factored into the matchmaking directly, no.

Oh sorry, matter as a basis for judging how well you are doing playing Overwatch.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Every placement match I've lost, there's been a hanjo on my team.

Bacontotem what have you done.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Did my qualification matches

Went 2-8, ended up in silver around 1500.

So don't worry about those of you that are bad players, there's always someone worse. One highlight of my day though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ltbX3wjt_o

Tsietisin fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 3, 2016

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Tom Gorman posted:

I play Overwatch like the fat WoW guy from south park so my wrist never moves more than about 3 inches

I make sure to slouch as much as I can and make an effort to expend as little energy as possible

still got platinum, this is the wu-tang secret
lol

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Ace of Baes posted:

Season 2: Bronze: 1-1499 = Season 1: 0-29 Skillrating
Season 2: Silver: 1500-1999 = Season 1: 30-39 Skillrating
Season 2: Gold: 2000-2499 = Season 1: 40-49 Skillrating
Season 2: Platinum: 2500-2999 = Season 1: 50-59 Skillrating
Season 2: Diamond: 3000-3499 = Season 1: 60-69 Skillrating
Season 2: Master: 3500-3999 = Season 1: 70-79 Skillrating
Season 2: Grandmaster: 4000-5000 = Season 1: 80-100 Skillrating

Is this accurate? Got it trying to google what bracket I placed into.

Doesn't seem to be exactly 1:50 as people have been predicting. Most 60-70s from last season are ranked at Platinum now. I've been checking profiles for most games and everyone so far in my games at Platinum ranked were 60-72 last season

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 3, 2016

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

2400 with 5-5, I'll take that as a win considering I started 0-4 with some completely hopeless matches and a strong urge to give up.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

That's good

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Help Im Alive posted:

I've been doing this since CS 1.3. They've also made mousepads to accommodate my sensitivity/DPI preference: https://www.amazon.com/Perixx-DX-20...ixx+DX+mousepad (my keyboard sits atop 1/3 of the pad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
You guys are so much better than me, how can i "git gud"?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/TheresaJayne-2869

the last few quick play matches i have played have worked fine until we have the point at 99% then the other team just wipes the floor with us.
Is it just that I am bad or is it that the other members are just throwing the match?