Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Aren't sonstar and move both imports?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Savage Cracker posted:

I assume this is what UoL expected would happen when you give the enemy team Vlad AND GP

edit: wow I can't remember the last time I saw a throw that massive

Yuuuup. That was 10K ahead with Baron.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wuxi posted:

Aren't sonstar and move both imports?

Ya they are both imports. Night/Sonstar and Move/Veritas are the koreans.

UoL is pretty good if u just teamfight them nonstop eventually your going to give them a chance to comeback. Also diving a Taric/Shen ulted Sivir was a horrible idea especially when your adc isn't even following the dive. GIAs deserved to lose that after taking bad fights over and over. The dive top and letting Sonstar facecheck the red bush when they had used GP/Lucian ult just a second ago. Don't know why Hustlin wasn't going to the bush.

Sucks for KT losing. Arrow was so good in playoffs and Score too. Nice to see Samsung finally comeback to worlds. If JTeam had won and Fnatic qualified we would have had all the worlds winners. Too bad JTeam is choking hard after getting annihilated by FW in playoffs finals. The favorites in EU are probably Splyce unless Fnatic make a miracle happen.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

welcome to college football saturday

Yeah I'm going to try to put the NA gauntlet on my computer...try.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
i just did the quickest unmute - re-mute ever

quickshot saying bjerg was better than faker is one thing, but pulse comparing veritas to uzi i just can't abide

stump collector
May 28, 2007
chachi just burned 3 people to death with his cape

stump collector
May 28, 2007
this guy's kassadin is too good. lets just let him take vlad, it's not a big deal

stump collector
May 28, 2007
whoa was that a surrender?

:black101:

stump collector
May 28, 2007

elijah wood the UOL superfan

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Argh! My favorite team is not going to Worlds. I am now a complete mercenary in terms of who I'll be cheering for obnoxiously at Worlds. PM me your best offers, goons

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Samsung

stump collector
May 28, 2007
You have to support dignitas' own, coreJJ in his bid to bring the trophy home to kiwikid

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Did Stress just say China dissapointed 2 years in a row when in season 4 China was in the finals? Man I hate this revisionist history that China always dissapoints. They were bad at worlds, Iem but they were alright at MSI this year. RNG looked better than CLG in playoffs vs SKT. Also agree with Tsepha, China has a good chance in this meta where standard lanes and teamfighting is more encouraged instead of laneswaps/turret trading.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
CoreJJ is the only dig player ever to make it to worlds, right?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dignitas has made it to worlds before so no.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ulio posted:

Dignitas has made it to worlds before so no.

oh right they went in season 2, i honestly forgot that completely

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

oh right they went in season 2, i honestly forgot that completely

I will never forget that, if only for the highlight reel that consisted entirely of Scarra getting killed by Saigon Jokers' mid over and over

Anyway, definitely not rooting for Samsung because they took my favorite team out and because they have a former Dignitas. Current theory is I'll be rooting for... TSM! Any attempts to sway me to another team must be able to answer the inevitable counter-argument of "TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM TSM"

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The "World's Best" ... TSM. Undeniable. Cheer for them or don't. It's like saying you won't be cheering for the sun.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Ulio posted:

Did Stress just say China dissapointed 2 years in a row when in season 4 China was in the finals? Man I hate this revisionist history that China always dissapoints. They were bad at worlds, Iem but they were alright at MSI this year. RNG looked better than CLG in playoffs vs SKT. Also agree with Tsepha, China has a good chance in this meta where standard lanes and teamfighting is more encouraged instead of laneswaps/turret trading.

i think he was specifically talking about EDG being disappointing

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Dignitas might actually have 2 players who qualify for worlds today if DP beat INTZ in the wildcard international. Kirei is their jungler.

I haven't followed the wildcard group stage so I don't know who wins but it might be the first time a Latin America team qualifies for world. Not sure if a CIS team ever qualified before or was Gambit considered EU back then? There was also a lithuanian team in season 3 called Gaminggear or something don't know if that is considered the same region as CIS. Albus Nox Luna the cis team has Kira who is a pretty decent midlaner and at one point was gonna replace Alex Ich when he left Gambit but Kira didn't want to leave his country.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Since renegades got removed from LCS all of the teams are CIS, as far as I know.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
SKT might be the fourth-best Korean team right now, behind Tigers, Samsung, and KT. But it's still not as bad as CLG going to World's without winning any matches in regionals.

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Well SKT qualified by losing the only match they placed in the playoffs sooo :v:

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

Do you think cloud 9 or immortals takes the 3rd NA spot... C9 is playing better but meteos is total garbage.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Work Friend Keven posted:

Since renegades got removed from LCS all of the teams are CIS, as far as I know.

for god's sake keven lol

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Savage Cracker posted:

Well SKT qualified by losing the only match they placed in the playoffs sooo :v:
SKT could still beat most regions second and third seeds without much problems + SKT's ability to really bring it at World's. CLG would be lucky if they didn't drop games to an IWC team

stump collector
May 28, 2007

lol

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

lol

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

:golfclap:

e:for content, the 'narrative' around the Chinese teams has always been that they're better than the Western teams because that way when we do beat them we get to be hero underdog winners, so the only time they lose is when they're "off their game" for some bullshit reason.

(Western teams don't beat Koreans so no one bothers creating a narrative for that.)

mistaya fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 3, 2016

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Ulio posted:

How is that revisionist? Last year China stunk up the loving tournament. We had to put squid on suicide watch. China has never been anything but disappointing at worlds. They basically always lose to Korea in any big match, or choke to someone else before then. I can't think of any worlds tournament where they weren't disappointing but I like their chances this year with lane swaps getting killed.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

China making it to finals has only happened because they had the easiest path to the finals, while on the other side of the bracket it was usually the first and second Korean teams knocking each other out (With exception to last year where Tigers/SKT were on opposite ends). In Season 3, Naijin were the second-best team and Samsung Ozone should have been third if they weren't dicking around in groups and losing games because they didn't want to "show too many strategies". Season 4, Samsung White/Blue were undeniably the best teams there and they had to fight one another before finals.

China has been a very trailing 4th/5th best team at World's at best since the modern era began (Season 3)

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 3, 2016

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Wait what how is it disappointing to finish 2nd twice in a row at s3, s4 and 1st at msi. If China has been a dissapointment than all the other regions have been even worse than that. NA is a complete joke they have yet to even reach a semi final other than season 1. EU got to semi finals a few times but thats it. They had Gambit who won IEM a few times vs Korean teams. CLG's performance at MSI was the only good thing NA has ever done atleast Taiwan has won worlds even though season 2 wasn't as strong as the later seasons. Oh ya TSM did beat a midtable Chinese team to win an IEM. Season1 which happened in someone's basement shouldn't even count with no Korean teams. Also China won probably the greatest most stacked tournament which was IPL 5. Ya China was bad at worlds last year but to say they have always been dissapointing at worlds is nothing but revisionists history. Ya it sucks they haven't been able to beat some of the best korean teams ever like SKT s3 and Samsung White in finals but atleast they managed to make into the finals.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Because every year gets hyped up like "this is going to be the year that China overtakes Korea" and last year they regressed further behind from that goal than ever. In truth they've never even come close to overtaking Korea and their performance head to head against Korean teams are not any better than NA or EU.

in Season 5, EDG 2-0'd H2K and Bangkok Titans and then got swept by Fnatic. And they were the best Chinse team at the tournament. That's embarassing.

In Season 4 the three Chinese teams were pretty evenly matched (all their series went 5 games) and the winner of that took one game off of Samsung White. That was the best ever showing by China, they tied TSM for taking 1 game off of White and got steamrolled in all three losses.

in Season 3, Najin was obviously the second best team in the world and gave SKT a 5-game playoff series and then SKT steamrolled Royal Club 3-0. Had the brackets separated the Korean teams it would have easily been an all-Korean finals.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
tournaments don't count unless they have koreans in them yea lmao

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

Lovechop posted:

tournaments don't count unless they have koreans in them yea lmao

Not sure what you mean or how that has anything to do with the discussion

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Libertine posted:

Not sure what you mean or how that has anything to do with the discussion

i was replying to the guy above who actually suggested this

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Lovechop posted:

i was replying to the guy above who actually suggested this
Are you really trying to say that Season 1/2 were major big deal tournaments because nobody had their poo poo together back then

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Liquid v NV is up right now and it's a Cool rear end Game already

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The current competitive scene being vastly more skilled than the early competitive scene doesn't make the early seasons somehow not "important"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

(in ron burgendy voice) Well.. that escalated quickly

• Locked thread