Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

silence_kit posted:

Do you know a lot about this? What was the major technical obstacle to the idea? Even if it weren't technically hard, the idea is a little dumb in that people don't really care about customizing the functionality of their cell phones.

we got a live one folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hft-fTHQWg

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

im the incredible amount of crud that would have built up between the blocks

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

silence_kit posted:

What was the major technical obstacle to the idea?

proper connections and stability of the device, both electronically and physically

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

silence_kit posted:

Do you know a lot about this? What was the major technical obstacle to the idea? Even if it weren't technically hard, the idea is a little dumb in that people don't really care about customizing the functionality of their cell phones.
the major technical obstacles, in approximate order:

1) impossible to build a phone as compact as a consumer wants, because you are purposely designing in a bunch of redundant structural and connective elements and encapsulating every individual piece instead of jigsawing them together down to the micrometer
2) purposely spreading out all the technology throughout the phone and connecting them via pogo pins or whatever makes everything slow as gently caress
3) impossible to make it sturdy enough to drop without exploding into confetti while also making the bits and bobs on it easily removable
4) the concept is loving stupid and no one would give a poo poo about swapping out phone components

Linguica fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 2, 2016

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

oh yeah

quote:

An app on the phone will let you toggle the magnets on and off, and the 30 newtons of force in the on state should keep the modules from flying off when you drop the phone.
p.s.: it didn't

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

does anyone have a charger??? i'm a few percent away from having my phone literally disintegrate

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

they were supposed to be electropermanent magnets, so at least they realized the 90 seconds of battery life you'd get otherwise

i think electropermanent magnets need a tremendously powerful initial field though to set up the magnetization so dunno where they were planning on putting those coils

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you have to store your credit cards inside your phone because your phone erases the physical ones

it's great for change though

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Linguica posted:

the major technical obstacles, in approximate order:

1) impossible to build a phone as compact as a consumer wants, because you are purposely designing in a bunch of redundant structural and connective elements and encapsulating every individual piece instead of jigsawing them together down to the micrometer
2) purposely spreading out all the technology throughout the phone and connecting them via pogo pins or whatever makes everything slow as gently caress
3) impossible to make it sturdy enough to drop without exploding into confetti while also making the bits and bobs on it easily removable
4) the concept is loving stupid and no one would give a poo poo about swapping out phone components
the original idea was you could rearrange the blocks in any shape or order and get them in whatever size you wanted which was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c

Sagebrush posted:

they were supposed to be electropermanent magnets, so at least they realized the 90 seconds of battery life you'd get otherwise

i think electropermanent magnets need a tremendously powerful initial field though to set up the magnetization so dunno where they were planning on putting those coils
they said it "failed the drop test" and then the next day said that was a joke

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Sep 2, 2016

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012

anthonypants posted:

the original idea was you could rearrange the blocks in any shape or order and get them in whatever size you wanted which was hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDAw7vW7H0c
they said it "failed the drop test" and then the next day said that was a joke

I bet we could get a jump on google press releases by just keeping tabs on official twitter accoutns
that account hadn't been updated in 3.5 months no poo poo it was dead in the water

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the video says the phone that's been in my pocket 4 years without getting a scratch isn't designed to last.

Krakox posted:

I bet we could get a jump on google press releases by just keeping tabs on official twitter accoutns
that account hadn't been updated in 3.5 months no poo poo it was dead in the water

why does an unreleased product even have a Twitter account? cause they were hedging their bets it would fail and this way at least it's a PR boost

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the verge finally asks why google is just poo poo and what i could have told you years ago (and did)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/2/12764558/google-alphabet-cancelled-products-project-ara-summer-2016

cremnob posted:

fuzzy mammal the sooner u let go of any loyalty u have to google and start treating it as a job u do at a lovely company the happier u will be. google x and the like are jedi mind tricks from management designed to brainwash the drones working for them. they want u to think u work at an innovative tech company, but really ur working at an internet utility that makes its money selling search ads. just ask ur self why the "innovation" never materializes into anything real.

ur plugged into the matrix fuzzy mammal. ur living in a fiction created by google management and ur being strung along with propaganda about larry's "20 year vision". but deep down u know there is no vision. u know that the most innovative thing google did in its entire history as a company was (if we're being generous) making a new search engine in a crowded space. its next hit product was gmail, literally an email service. does that seem like vision to u? no, ur not that dumb. in ur heart u understand that innovation was never part of google's origin story and that as an institution it lacks the skill set to be a real innovative company

when ur ready to take the red pill and take this sucker down, let me know

i tried to save fuzzy mammal years ago but he wanted to believe so badly. he could have started the next mini microsoft blog for google and it would have been a cult hit for everyone in silicon valley and the press covering it. it would have been more meaningful than the years of work he's put into hangouts, only to see it flounder because of managerial incompetence. there is no 20 year vision at google, there's just larry and sergei who checked out years ago from google and then formalized it with creating alphabet because they had delusions of being the 21st century GE. these punks are academics from stanford that just happened to stumble onto a goldmine by accident. they hire people like them with the same elite pedigrees thinking this is the key to success and have nothing to show for it

meanwhile apple, the company started by a college drop out and whose executives all come from state schools (the only exception being scott forstall who went to stanford and coincidentally? no longer works there and makes broadway plays), continues to dominate.

google is good at doing computer science and other science projects that they will never turn into business or product success. they won't be around in 50 years

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

in 50 years i hope google is a verizon company

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

in 50 years i hope the worker is elevated to their proper place in society

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

i think cream knob is right and his posts are correct mostly

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx
in 50 days i hope google will have offered me a job

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Does google offer sexual release clinics? They have everything else

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

On the google campus i mean

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BONGHITZ posted:

Does google offer sexual release clinics? They have everything else

let's just say "ball pit" has multiple layers of meaning

also stay out of the ball pit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BONGHITZ posted:

i think cream knob is right and his posts are correct mostly

yep

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
has anyone ever seen annotations on yourtube that they didn't want to turn off?

i want to turn off annotations forever

forever off

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
true peace

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
once you're dead everything is off

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ur holding the "Show annotations and in-video notifications " checkbox wrong

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

DrPossum posted:

has anyone ever seen annotations on yourtube that they didn't want to turn off?

i want to turn off annotations forever

forever off

sometimes i turn on annotations when someone says that the translations or the explanation or something is as annotations

but i turn them off immediately after

my youtube settings have actually worked as expected for a really long time now, which shouldn't be surprising, but is.

at some point it kep resetting my annotation settings and later my autoplay settings.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheany posted:

my youtube settings have actually worked as expected for a really long time now, which shouldn't be surprising, but is.

at some point it kep resetting my annotation settings and later my autoplay settings.

same

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
they change it back but i want them to not change it back loving balls

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

ublock hosed with yt settings for a long rear end time and they finally fixed it

ufarn
May 30, 2009
https://twitter.com/MediaREDEF/status/772129041881194496

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

theyve got room for like 5 more desks where that rug is

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Progressive JPEG posted:

theyve got room for like 5 more desks where that rug is

don't poo poo on them for the one thing they're doing right in that picture.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

workplace grade 2.0

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

no really i question any google office photo where each employee isnt seated within slapping range of at least 3 other people

though thats more of a mountain view thing to be fair

ufarn
May 30, 2009
is that an actual google office in the photo, because it looks like a pediatric oncology ward

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Progressive JPEG posted:

no really i question any google office photo where each employee isnt seated within slapping range of at least 3 other people

though thats more of a mountain view thing to be fair

yeah sounds like the sort of thing you can get away with your silicon valley/sf area offices because everyone buy sin there, but if you're in more civilized areas the workers won't stand for it

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

fishmech posted:

yeah sounds like the sort of thing you can get away with your silicon valley/sf area offices because everyone buy sin there, but if you're in more civilized areas the workers won't stand for it

the offices on the main part of the mountain view campus are now so crowded that they break sanitation laws, so a bunch of them have trailers set up outside with portapotties on em

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Progressive JPEG posted:

the offices on the main part of the mountain view campus are now so crowded that they break sanitation laws, so a bunch of them have trailers set up outside with portapotties on em

lol. and then everyone wonders why i "hamper my career" by staying at the place that gives me a private office and, say, human dignity

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Progressive JPEG posted:

i think this must vary greatly by team. or, alternatively they have separate buildings that are "normal" density to show interviewees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol. and then everyone wonders why i "hamper my career" by staying at the place that gives me a private office and, say, human dignity

I love having private office

• Locked thread