Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

My mom's town has nothing but 52000 gyms held by monsters, apparently hours away in CenCal it's nothing but cows and botters. Godspeed, cows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Ok I've got a question - am I better using my candy to evolve lower tier mons while I have a lucky egg active or holding them off so I can get a second tier mon to evolve to a third tier mon?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Acaila posted:

Ok I've got a question - am I better using my candy to evolve lower tier mons while I have a lucky egg active or holding them off so I can get a second tier mon to evolve to a third tier mon?

In the case of Weedle, Caterpie and Pidgey, the first.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Jiggly puff, geodude, clefairy and pikachu all one per Km. Rest are garbage min or two/3. Magikarp also one but gently caress that.

I'm guessing starters will be 1km/candy as well since that's the 2km egg list. Walking 100+km to finally get a Charizard is going to take a while though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Acaila posted:

There's no reason at all to evolve second tier trash (ie Pidgeotto, Metapod, Kakuna) once you've got the Pokedex entry. None of the third tier are worth poo poo for fighting with and only going 1st-2nd tier gives you 4x the XP for your candy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Acaila posted:

Depends on if you want the third evolution for Pokédex completion or if its a poke you want for battling. If you don't need either of those then there's no reason to evolve to the third stage.

Acaila
Jan 2, 2011

Generally it's for the dex entries. This is for things like Bellsprouts incidentally.

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Acaila posted:

I lucky egg evolved all my uncommons, nidoran, oddish, bellsprout, gastly etc. and started to regret it around level 25. But at the same time, I'm still getting better and better evolution candidates and by the time I have the 125 candies, I may find something better.

edit: some third tier are worth it. depends on the moveset, type, you might find something that's perfect for a certain situation. I make due with a 1200 parasect, but a vileplume or victreebel could be even better. nidoking with its ground moves can demolish fire types. gengar is unfortunate due to ghost weakness to psychic.

Eyochigan fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 3, 2016

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I caught a Primeape. It's a 80%+ one, with Low Kick and Cross Chop.

It's also 25cp.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anybody know what the colored spawn points mean on the newest version of the scanner? Does that denote type or rarity, or is it just to help differentiate different ones?

I just figured this out. Blue means something will spawn there soon, green means something just spawned, yellow means it's about halfway through its spawn time, orange means it's almost about to expire, grey means it'll be a while before something spawns there.

vvv: actually it's the early 20s when you start having competitive pokemon. Not to burst your bubble but you aren't even an eighth of the way to 30

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 3, 2016

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Seems to me like I should have a Pidgey friend so that I can get a crap ton of pidgey candies to mass evolve them with lucky eggs since I'm only level 18 meaning nothing I catch or raise is worth a drat for another ten levels :O

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Houle posted:

Seems to me like I should have a Pidgey friend so that I can get a crap ton of pidgey candies to mass evolve them with lucky eggs since I'm only level 18 meaning nothing I catch or raise is worth a drat for another ten levels :O

That was my plan. Then I realized it's only one evolve every 12km. I think I'll do starters/pikachu/jiggly etc. and anything else that's legit rare in my area.

edit: unless the candy amounts vary per pokemon type. it may be 2 candies per 1km, 3 candies per 2km, 5 candies per 3km, etc. could be 1, 1, 1. wouldn't make much sense considering how arbitrary the numbers are. why is pikachu 1 if he's supposed to be ultra rare?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Pikachu was the first pokemon you could ever have walk behind your character, in Pokemon Yellow, and he's iconic enough that they want you to get excited for buddying up with one.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

:smith: no shoulder karp

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I trained up a gym from level 7 to level 8. I got a error when I went to place my Lapras because some jackass plopped their vaporeon into the open slot in the 5 seconds since the fight had ended.

Why is this a thing that can happen?

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Eyochigan posted:

That was my plan. Then I realized it's only one evolve every 12km. I think I'll do starters/pikachu/jiggly etc. and anything else that's legit rare in my area.

edit: unless the candy amounts vary per pokemon type. it may be 2 candies per 1km, 3 candies per 2km, 5 candies per 3km, etc. could be 1, 1, 1. wouldn't make much sense considering how arbitrary the numbers are. why is pikachu 1 if he's supposed to be ultra rare?
Somebody said it creates a journal entry when it gives you candy, and the text includes a field for the number of candies. So it's probably more than 1, and may be a random amount.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Have they said if the buddy system will work outside of SF?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Buddy system only works if you buy leashes that last 3 km. And in SF only obviously.

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

TVs Ian posted:

Somebody said it creates a journal entry when it gives you candy, and the text includes a field for the number of candies. So it's probably more than 1, and may be a random amount.

I saw on the internet that the candy has a RNG chance of appearing only good for weedles rather than the buddy you have with you. Also a RNG chance of it having pokerazors in them that will kill your buddy outright.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Shifty Pony posted:

Here's a thing which helps with tracking. For me it has completely changed 5the feeling of seeing something in the tracker from "dammit" to "gently caress yeah it's go time".

Go to this website: https://pokegovenn.github.io

The basic idea is that you put a green circle where the Pokemon shows in your sightings list, and a red one when it disappears. The remaining green are potential locations. Putting multiple greens also helps rule out areas because only overlapping green is a possible location. The closer to the edge of where it appears you get the red circle to more accurate it is.

Here's an example: I was on my bike stuck at a long rear end stoplight so I pulled out my phone and saw a shadow of a Persian. Game on. (I only started taking screenshots halfway through so I went back and recreated it.)

First green circle:

Went up the road a bit and it still showed. Second green circle:

A few yards later it disappeared. First red circle:

Since it didn't show up when I was at the light I went to the overlap up Palo Duro to the right. No kitty popped up but it was still showing on tracker. Third green circle:

I didn't need to but I decided to check at the corner of Palo Duro and Woodrow when I stopped to turn. No cat on tracker. Red circle number two:

Went to that intersection of circles on Koenig. Hello there...

It gets a little squirrelly if there are two of the same Pokemon around but it still works, just a little more complex

This is a great system that I'm sure every person who wants to catch pokémon will adopt. Who needs in-game tracking when you can catch pokémon with this one neat trick?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Shifty Pony posted:

Here's a thing which helps with tracking. For me it has completely changed 5the feeling of seeing something in the tracker from "dammit" to "gently caress yeah it's go time".

Go to this website: https://pokegovenn.github.io

The basic idea is that you put a green circle where the Pokemon shows in your sightings list, and a red one when it disappears. The remaining green are potential locations. Putting multiple greens also helps rule out areas because only overlapping green is a possible location. The closer to the edge of where it appears you get the red circle to more accurate it is.

Here's an example: I was on my bike stuck at a long rear end stoplight so I pulled out my phone and saw a shadow of a Persian. Game on. (I only started taking screenshots halfway through so I went back and recreated it.)

First green circle:

Went up the road a bit and it still showed. Second green circle:

A few yards later it disappeared. First red circle:

Since it didn't show up when I was at the light I went to the overlap up Palo Duro to the right. No kitty popped up but it was still showing on tracker. Third green circle:

I didn't need to but I decided to check at the corner of Palo Duro and Woodrow when I stopped to turn. No cat on tracker. Red circle number two:

Went to that intersection of circles on Koenig. Hello there...

It gets a little squirrelly if there are two of the same Pokemon around but it still works, just a little more complex

That was a cool post. Thanks, man!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Broseph Brostar posted:

Anybody know what the colored spawn points mean on the newest version of the scanner? Does that denote type or rarity, or is it just to
help differentiate different ones?

Also pokestumble works again and it now shows you nearby pokes and the area they should be in.

It means how much time is left on the spawn.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eyochigan posted:

Gengar is unfortunate due to ghost weakness to psychic.

It's the poison type. Ghost fucks up Psychic, but Gen 1 had terrible Ghost attack moves.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

Manuel Calavera posted:

It's the poison type. Ghost fucks up Psychic, but Gen 1 had terrible Ghost attack moves.
Even funnier. There was only one ghost move in all of Gen 1 that could actually apply weaknesses and resistances (Lick, with its 20 base power), but due to a coding error psychic types were instead immune to the attack.

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

Eyochigan posted:

I lucky egg evolved all my uncommons, nidoran, oddish, bellsprout, gastly etc. and started to regret it around level 25. But at the same time, I'm still getting better and better evolution candidates and by the time I have the 125 candies, I may find something better.

edit: some third tier are worth it. depends on the moveset, type, you might find something that's perfect for a certain situation. I make due with a 1200 parasect, but a vileplume or victreebel could be even better. nidoking with its ground moves can demolish fire types. gengar is unfortunate due to ghost weakness to psychic.

Basically, after mid 20s I'd definitely start making the switch to saving up.

Poliwag, Nidoran female and to an lesser extent male, Oddish and Bellsprout all have pretty competitive evolutions.

Of course, the 50 candy evolve staples (Arcanine, Exeggutor, slowbro, and sometimes clefable/wigglytuff)/Vaporeons are generally stronger than the common 100 candies so it's up to you if you think it's worth it to evolve the 3rd tiers as well/are satisfied with your gym team.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I found a Poliwag for the first time ever at a McDonald's on the way home today. That coding promo paying off already!

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

notoriousman posted:

Even funnier. There was only one ghost move in all of Gen 1 that could actually apply weaknesses and resistances (Lick, with its 20 base power), but due to a coding error psychic types were instead immune to the attack.

Holy poo poo that explains so many frustrating battles when I was younger. I just assumed I hosed up the weakness chart lol

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

notoriousman posted:

Was it fixed in Gen 2? I picked it up recently and my Gastly is kicking all kinds of rear end (using Hypnosis + Lick, at the pace of a legless WW1 veteran).

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Used pokestumble, got a snorlax. Thanks pokestumble!

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Manslaughter posted:

Used pokestumble, got a snorlax. Thanks pokestumble!

Is it limited to the small area of California?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Cartouche posted:

Works in my poo poo hole outside Boise.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cartouche posted:

Works fine, a Snorlax spawned with one minute to spare down the street from my house. Grabbed both girls in my arms and dashed out the door and barely missed it.

Kids literally slow you down

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I went to Bruce Lee's grave site today (incidentally it's also a gym), hoping to find a Hitmonlee. Nothing but Zubats.

Ironically, my 10km egg hatched a Hitmonlee a hour later. Thanks Bruce!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
So I just evolved my strongest eevee into a vaporeon, and holy crap is it bullshit how much stronger in pure CP it is than the other evolutions. Let's compare.

CP600ish Eevee -> CP1450ish Flareon
CP580ish Eevee -> CP950ish Jolteon
CP650ish Eevee -> CP1639Vaporeon

My joteon got screwed in comparison.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Cartouche posted:

Search for your address then click on the screen. It will do a single search where you click.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Just hatched my 10k egg. I only need Lapras and Aerodactyl from 10ks.

Got an Onyx. :smith:

At least I got a Slowpoke hatched with enough candy to evolve him. Now at 124 caught and seen.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I caught a 1400 Slowbro last night while I was bemoaning how I'd never encounter enough Slowpokes to evolve one, it was pretty great :v:

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
And then this happened.

He's got a horrible moveset, and his IVs are awful, but I don't care. I have a Charizard. :3:

LumpyGumby fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 4, 2016

Afgad
Dec 24, 2006

Ask me about delicious soy products.
BrianBoitano are you going to add gym defense stats to your spreadsheet? The current tab is marked obsolete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do we know the refresh rate for calculating distance and/or showing progress of eggs?

• Locked thread