Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

anglachel posted:

There was a R/D chart they showed with how they valued it. 2 damage/power was valued at like 1, 2 was like a colorless mana, 3 was like a thopter, 4 was drawing a card. 5 and plus was special stuff

It was 1 energy: shock a player, 2 energy: +1/+1 counter, 3 energy: thopter, 4 energy: draw a card, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010

Hmm...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
LSV's comeback in that last game. :tviv:

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug
LSV WITH THE COMEBACK!

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Grimflayer is going to jump another 50% just off of that game.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I'm assuming the covered part is flavor text that spoils something new in the story.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wow that's a pretty extreme downside for a sorcery speed Titanic Growth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
New lily showing up a lot at worlds... in modern.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/2016wc/modern-decklists-2016-09-03

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That's a lot of Grim Flayers.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 3, 2016

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Huh, that's actually substantial enough for Pauper Infect. +1/+1 over Predator's Strike while still giving trample is a real thing.

if they're just covering up the flavor text since it's coming from Garruk or something that'll be pretty funny.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Hellsau posted:

Huh, that's actually substantial enough for Pauper Infect. +1/+1 over Predator's Strike while still giving trample is a real thing.

It's sorcery-speed, which I suspect affects the analysis too.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Serperoth posted:

It's sorcery-speed, which I suspect affects the analysis too.

I'm curious if the hidden text will be something like spend X energy to cast this as an instant.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wow that's a pretty extreme downside for a sorcery speed Titanic Growth.

Um, I think you mean upgraded Monstrous Growth

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Did they have a gentlemen's agreement to not bring burn? Most of these nerds don't even have a single sideboard slot dedicated to it.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Hellsau posted:

if they're just covering up the flavor text since it's coming from Garruk or something that'll be pretty funny.

That is a good question. Which Planeswalker would be the best troll to have visit Kaladesh. Tibbers or Garruk would be up there for sure.

A 2 mana Sorcery Speed pump spell seems like something they would print at common these days. Remember only creatures and planeswalkers are allowed to be good anymore. And Vehicles are pretty much just creatures that have an additional cost attached.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Combat tricks have been pretty good recently.

Elyv posted:

Um, I think you mean upgraded Monstrous Growth
Yeah but what if it's Tuesday when you play it?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
They switch between instant and sorcery giant growth effects from set to set. It's based more on how it'll effect limited and casual play than anything else.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

TheLawinator posted:

Did they have a gentlemen's agreement to not bring burn? Most of these nerds don't even have a single sideboard slot dedicated to it.

Yeah with the controversy last year with all the scouting, it's possible they all just up and admitted to everyone what they would be on. Only Owen Turtlewald on Infect.

Alternatively all the pros just decided to be super conservative and play stodgy mid range decks that at least had some kind of chance versus every matchup. The field does seem pretty soft is somebody was on Burn, Bogles, or Suicide Black. And Titan Shift seems to be doing real well.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
also this set is gonna be playing with Delirium, so there is incentive to make more sorcery cards in general

i mean, the abundance of Artifact Creatures will also help but the little things

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

hey i think those really big cards are counterfeits

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

Clearly you've never seen giant sized magic.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Pros in general tend to prefer midrange or control decks because they feel like it gives them a better shot to outplay people, and burn generally has been falling off for a while.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

rabidsquid posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot my loupe! I've been... tilted...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

I had new Lili played against me in Jund last night, but he was already behind so it didn't last long. He also had Grim Flayer which did a lot of work for him, I was actually thinking about getting a few. Welp :negative:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

sarmhan posted:

More cards:

Territorial Devourer
3R
Creature - Gremlin
2/2
Trample
Whenever you gain one or more E (one energy counter), Territorial Devourer gets +2/+2 until end of turn.

The gently caress is this rare? I'm now assuming commons are going to be 80% cards with incidental energy counter gaining tacked on, otherwise this seems hilariously over-raritied.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Any one have experience running Elder Deep-Fiend in Bant, and who is favored in the bant humans vs coco match?

Deep-Fiend seems spicey.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

The gently caress is this rare? I'm now assuming commons are going to be 80% cards with incidental energy counter gaining tacked on, otherwise this seems hilariously over-raritied.
I imagine it was originally better and they got scared of some big energy generation combo.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Elyv posted:

Pros in general tend to prefer midrange or control decks because they feel like it gives them a better shot to outplay people, and burn generally has been falling off for a while.

I think Modern typically has 3 types of players. People who buy into a deck and pretty much lock into that one deck, and can't really afford to change what deck they play. Players who change what they do constantly to match the flavor of the month. And a combination of the last 2 where people get bored with the one deck they always play, and will try out new stuff, but go back to the one deck they have the most reps on at a big tournament that they really want to win.

The problem with decks like Burn and Affinity is that if you want to hate them out, it's really easy to super hate them out, but the second you stop hating them out they come back with a vengeance and stomp all over the place. I also know quite a few people who think they are better GP decks simply because you do more games with them and you can play them at a higher level while very tired than you can some other decks in the format.

What I'm kinda surprised not to see though is a deck like Ad Naesuem or Bogles. But I guess the Pro's didnt want to gamble on those kinds of decks. Though one did bring Pyromancers Ascension.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Nekusar toy.
Mono red EDH toy.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

anglachel posted:

I think Modern typically has 3 types of players. People who buy into a deck and pretty much lock into that one deck, and can't really afford to change what deck they play. Players who change what they do constantly to match the flavor of the month. And a combination of the last 2 where people get bored with the one deck they always play, and will try out new stuff, but go back to the one deck they have the most reps on at a big tournament that they really want to win.

The problem with decks like Burn and Affinity is that if you want to hate them out, it's really easy to super hate them out, but the second you stop hating them out they come back with a vengeance and stomp all over the place. I also know quite a few people who think they are better GP decks simply because you do more games with them and you can play them at a higher level while very tired than you can some other decks in the format.

What I'm kinda surprised not to see though is a deck like Ad Naesuem or Bogles. But I guess the Pro's didnt want to gamble on those kinds of decks. Though one did bring Pyromancers Ascension.

Also World's has a meta like a local game store. Thus why Living End of all decks keep showing up to them

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Hey, new potentially broken card. Isn't this an auto include in vintage mud decks?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Holy moly this card is bonkers

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Hey, new potentially broken card. Isn't this an auto include in vintage mud decks?

It's probably better than Coercive Portal, which some of the weirder Shops decks have played.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

meanolmrcloud posted:

It seems a little problematic to play a card that could ramp your opponent when half of your deck is dedicated to mana denial.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Myriad Truths posted:

It seems a little problematic to play a card that could ramp your opponent when half of your deck is dedicated to mana denial.

Sure but you're not playing this on turn 2. You play it on turn 7. The problem is Shops decks that actually lock the opponent out aren't really viable anymore so it's just as likely that they won't have a hand and will also get to draw 3, and their draw 3s are probably better than yours.

So in other words, Coercive Portal is almost definitely better if you want a personal Howling Mine. Staff of Nin is also probably better tbh.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

welp gonna need like 6 copies of this.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

Vintage decks play ~14-16 lands, because Moxes, and the card draw lets you find additional mana sources without flooding out. Shops plays Wastelands and the Strip Mine, plus Spheres and Thorns to keep spells stuck in the opponent's hand.

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012

Hellsau posted:

Vintage decks play ~14-16 lands, because Moxes, and the card draw lets you find additional mana sources without flooding out. Shops plays Wastelands and the Strip Mine, plus Spheres and Thorns to keep spells stuck in the opponent's hand.

It's often true that Vintage decks play a low land count for that reason, but it's an overgeneralization to suggest all decks function like that. Just judging by the VSL there seem to be a few land-heavy decks running around like Eldrazi and Landstill. Although I suppose mana denial is already bad against those decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Fast lands are back!

• Locked thread