Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I like it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Highwang posted:

I have tasted the forbidden fruit. This LP may start going in even weirder directions. Have a sample.

Curiosity, interest, and obsession.

Milemarkers on my road to damnation.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Just had my first total party kill. Last battle after a long dungeon. I was willing to let my plague doctor die, but everyone else had only 100 stress. Bastards keep scrubbing my turns with their fear and I finally flee.

Chain heart attacks kill 3 of them in a row. 25k lost.

I got achievements of a different sort.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

How do you deal with having healers constantly leveling up out of range of your dungeons?

I just let go a couple people to grab another vestal, but if I level her at all it'll take my levl 2 peeps to level 3, and thus out of range of the boss I need to kill :argh:

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

StrangeAeon posted:

How do you deal with having healers constantly leveling up out of range of your dungeons?

I just let go a couple people to grab another vestal, but if I level her at all it'll take my levl 2 peeps to level 3, and thus out of range of the boss I need to kill :argh:

Learn that Crusaders and Arbalests have fairly decent heals(especially if combined).

Lepers, Hellions and Houndmasters have self heals.

Plague Doctors and Antiquarians have trash heals(considering the sheer amount of healing) but they can still do in a pinch.

If you don't have healers, buy more food(eat for healing), go on shorter dungeons, get camp skills that heal(plague doctor and arbalest are especially good for this), go on dungeons where food is common or where there's curios that can heal you

And remember
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2XGp5ix8HE

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

On an unrelated note, I enjoy how one of the stress-reducing trinkets is basically the Little Book of Calm.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 11: The Meatgrinder

Someone was asking about Leper builds. While this episode isn't one technically, it shows a really good teamcomp involving the leper. We also discuss more development history of the game, healer strats, and generally hate enemies with PROT.

Also, the rage video I mention at the end of the episode? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW-Y445jUc

On an aside, I've begun modding the game, as shown with an earlier post. I'm thinking of doing dev-streams for what I'm calling "Darkest Goonhouse" mod where I peruse through the code and replace various lines of text with bad jokes. I'm bringing this up because I'm not all that funny, so I figure the community can help out in these streams as well and help to make a unique product out of this LP. Chitlin's badgering me to do one tomorrow/this weekend, however I will also make an announcement on YT whenever I do one of these streams. Be wary though, these """""Dev-streams""""" will be spoiler heavy as well so watch out.

Highwang fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 2, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrangeAeon posted:

Annoying as this is, I really, really like that the game constantly pushes you out of your comfort zone. You want to 100% the game? gently caress you. Either go with non-traditional (i.e. no pure healer) party or face the bosses with scrubs fresh off the coach.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Fat Samurai posted:

Annoying as this is, I really, really like that the game constantly pushes you out of your comfort zone. You want to 100% the game? gently caress you. Either go with non-traditional (i.e. no pure healer) party or face the bosses with scrubs fresh off the coach.

Thankfully experience management goes away when you reach champion dungeons, but then you have the issue with having to do Champion dungeons.

As for healing, just like damage, it is multiplicative. You can definitely heal for 0 with the Occultist while having junia's head, the chirurgeon's charm and while healing someone with the +40% healing received trinket.

That happened to me

But it's extremely unlikely simply because as you increase your heal range, the valid options for perceived acceptable heals also increase. Maxed out and with healing trinkets, Wyrd Reconstruction will heal for 0-29, with the possibility of crits that show hilarious numbers. Now your chance of healing for 0 is 1/30 instead of 1/13 or 1/21. Strictly from leveling it up, the chance of terrible doomheals goes from ~6% to ~3%. If an acceptable heal from a Vestal is 10-15 when maxed out, that means that a maxed out Occultist focused on healing trinkets will match or surpass a Vestal in single target healing 60% of the time. The one thing the Occultist can't match the Vestal is in AoE heals. When maxed out, Divine Comfort often heals for 7 across the board, which is probably more than you need to keep everyone safe if your vestal is a healbot(she should be).

I don't usually setup my occultists with healing trinkets, though, unless I'm going to the warrens or ruins with one(basically means my vestal is indisposed at the moment). The Occultist wrecks the Cove and Weald so hard that not taking advantage of his fat crit chance and fat bonus damage to eldritch enemies is almost criminal.

And talking about Lepers, the buff in damage he received near the end of early access and the nerfs to other classes(like Hellion) made them a lot more desirable. He's the only character that can reliably one shot enemies even in champion dungeons. If you find a leper with Natural Swing, grab him immediately.
I have a Leper with Natural Swing, Slugger, Eldritch Hater and Cove Tactician. He hits non crit for 53 damage on the Cove.

As far as good Leper buddies, it's oddly fitting that the Plague Doctor works really well with him. Emboldening Vapours work well in edge cases since his damage is so disgusting, and Disorienting Blast not only stuns a target, but clears all corpses and shuffles the stunned target, perfect to keep the meat grinder going. The Leper's self heal goes perfectly to counter the Plague Doctor's very low heal, and the Leper's low bleed resistance is patched up well by Battlefield Medicine.

And finishing another enormous post, I just love when a shuffle party(either on your side or the enemies') works perfectly. Grave Robbers, Crusaders, Man-At-Arms', Jesters and Highwaymen just zooming around the ranks, or pulling targets from the back row to be obliterated. Really feels like it's a party working together rather than a bunch of dudes killing random enemies.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just love watching manchildren go apeshit crazy and smash stuff because their precious video games screw them over :allears:

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Shawshank Redemption owns

That's my only comment to make about the video, sorry

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Run a healer-less party, Highwang. Run a torchless dungeon. Run both... together. You know you must. You know the demands... of the Darkest Dungeon of your viewers. :colbert:

As for being genuinely upset at this game... well, I have been. I have screamed and choked and been a whirlwind of fury and wroth. I have not, as many, however, blamed Red Hook for faults of my own making. Those two heart attacks in a row that decapitated my hellion and vestal in literally the final moment of the fight? I deserved those. I risked those, by sticking around with afflictions in the party. They were mine to own up to. In fact, here, let me own up to it again.

A less wise man posted:

Having recently re-started playing the Darkest Dungeon after a hiatus, I ran a low-level party consisting of a vestal, a tomb robber, a crusader and a hellion through to the Apprentice Necromancer in the Ruins. The necromancer, unfortunately, was in the very depths of the dungeon, so morale had become a problem, stress mounting, with the tomb robber succumbing first and becoming abusive (and annoyingly vocal) prior to the final battle. In the middle of said battle, her comments drove first the vestal and then the hellion irrational and selfish respectively. Realizing for the first time the danger of a stress cascade, I start recklessly throwing myself at the necromancer with all I have, ignoring healing the loss of health, figuring death will be swift anyway if I don’t end the fight as soon as possible. The crusader falls to affliction last, after a wave of gibbering sweeps the party, and becomes abusive as well, no doubt in thanks to the rest’s loutish and lousy behavior. The hellion and tomb robber hits Death’s Door, but thankfully neither succumbs to follow-up blows.

Everyone but the crusader is by now high in the 180s or 190s of stress, but the necromancer is gratifyingly close to dying. A few lucky crits have paved the road, and only one final turn of sweep-up is required for me to finish the reckless gamble this run has turned out to become. I bite my nails at every action, knowing that one comment out of turn could make my precious characters keel over and die from stress.

Luck, however, is with me. The necromancer is critted into oblivion and only a single wounded skeleton remains. The fight is over in all but name. I have my crusader finish it off.

His final comment of the fight is on how everyone else was being bloody useless.

The vestal twitches and falls over in response. The hellion grows apoplectic with rage and then clutches her chest and goes down. The tomb robber teeters on the brink of the brink, a single point of stress between her and permanent final death. She titters nervously and the fight finally, finally ends, with the crusader having the last laugh for all of the crap the rest of the team heaped at him for that entire fight.

Meanwhile, I scream myself raw. In truth, three, not two, hearts were broken that fight; the vestal’s, the hellion’s and my own.

Note that this was back in the harrowing early days of Heart Attacks, where simply getting 200 stress was enough to insta-kill someone. You coddled late-comers have no idea how good you have it. :argh:

Halser posted:

As far as good Leper buddies, it's oddly fitting that the Plague Doctor works really well with him. Emboldening Vapours work well in edge cases since his damage is so disgusting, and Disorienting Blast not only stuns a target, but clears all corpses and shuffles the stunned target, perfect to keep the meat grinder going. The Leper's self heal goes perfectly to counter the Plague Doctor's very low heal, and the Leper's low bleed resistance is patched up well by Battlefield Medicine.

I have to concur. Plague Doctor and Leper are an A+ combo as long as you have a +Acc trinket to counter the Leper's low accuracy. Halser, as ever, posts good stuff full of sense. Listen to this man.

But be wary. Halser wears a rusted crown, his face daubed with red ochre. Endless experiments with lethal efficiencies has taken a dreadful toll.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Scribbleykins posted:

But be wary. Halser wears a rusted crown, his face daubed with red ochre. Endless experiments with lethal efficiencies has taken a dreadful toll.

I began in humility, but my ambition grew limitless. Who could have divined the prophetic import of something as unremarkable as a purchase in a steam store?

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I find bounty hunter works very well in row 3 with two melee shitwreckers in the front row.

Granted, nothing was surviving Leppy Granola to the face so I'm not sure the two guys are needed.

You could do occultist/bounty hunter/crusader/leper as a meatgrinder team though. The occultist pull clears corpses in addition to pulling a target, turning a squad of enemies into Leper Murder Hour.

About the corpse update - that update as I remember wasn't just corpses, which were fine, but silly amounts of prot everywhere and insta-death heart attacks. It wasn't just a nerf to the front-row murderizer strategy, but a huge game-changer that no one was really prepared to deal with (and frustratingly slower combat too). The end result was that stress usually went critical because fights went on too drat long and teams got critted to death before they could make it anywhere (hence bad steam reviews). A lot of this got toned down before release which I think really improved the game.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There were definitely people complaining purely about the corpses, though. That's why they added the option to turn corpses off (which is really strange considering how much of a core gameplay mechanic it is).

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Genocyber posted:

There were definitely people complaining purely about the corpses, though. That's why they added the option to turn corpses off (which is really strange considering how much of a core gameplay mechanic it is).
I have to admit being one of those people. Well, sort-of: I never actually wrote about it, just thought at the time that the way they worked was dumb and left it at that.
I have come around to the concept though, since as you said it is very much a core gameplay mechanic.

And from the way his mouse cursor was moving, I get the impression that Highwang is no longer a big of a fan of the negative quirks that cause heroes to auto-loot items. :v:
Playing it about as safe as he is, I never liked those quirks since I want to have full control on what curios get activated and it would prevent what happened during one Cove run that had two Eerie Corals in the same corridor right at the start of the dungeon that were both auto-activated by my one guy that had one of these quirks. :ughh:

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Healerless runs aren't that hard. Instead of having someone focused on healing, you have another damage dealer that mitigates the damage by killing the enemies before they hurt you.

The shackles for the Abomination on that Veteran Cove mission is a damage + speed booster that costs Max HP. I'm never a huge fan of losing hp, but any boost to speed is nice for someone with an excellent ranged stunner. There is also another shackle item for the abom that gives protection for a tiny speed penalty. If you pair those two shackles the abom gets a damage boost, an overall +2 speed boost and prot buff and that HP penalty.

Edit: Also, put Hew on the Leper already! The Leper's huge damage means he can reliably kill a weakened enemy and put the hurt on another at the same time. In addition, if those shield fish block for a spearfish in rank 2, Hew ignores that protection and wrecks that spearfish.

Krumbsthumbs fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 3, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I'm one of those people who hated the corpse mechanic. Still have it turned off, in fact, but since I'm actually learning how to play the game and think tactically they don't seem quite as overwhelmingly inconvenient. I think they get turned on in NG+ anyway, so hopefully by then I'll be too battle-hardened to care.

Edit: Wait, do corpses still come back to life if you don't clear them for like 2 rounds?

StrangeAeon fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 3, 2016

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I love doing gimmick builds in this for some reason.

We don't need no torches, everyones a crusader!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

StrangeAeon posted:

Edit: Wait, do corpses still come back to life if you don't clear them for like 2 rounds?

If they ever did they do no longer and haven't in a long while. Mind, if you take too long in a fight, your party will gain stress and new enemies WILL arrive eventually and they clear away any corpses still around. Another reason to embrace damage dealers over healers.

AtomikKrab posted:

I love doing gimmick builds in this for some reason.

We don't need no torches, everyones a crusader!

Testing a gimmick build that you're not sure will work, but does, is the greatest thing. :allears:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
When playing yesterday some corpses auto-cleared. Maybe more like 4 rounds, which is longer than a lot of fights, but I was doing a Anti/BH/Cr/Cr team for no sane reason. Had several Death's Door checks on poor Reynauld due to starvation because the rate of food use is just weird and screwy (and because I backtracked to a secret room because greed). So much Prot in green Warrens, weep.

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

Krumbsthumbs posted:

Healerless runs aren't that hard. Instead of having someone focused on healing, you have another damage dealer that mitigates the damage by killing the enemies before they hurt you.

The shackles for the Abomination on that Veteran Cove mission is a damage + speed booster that costs Max HP. I'm never a huge fan of losing hp, but any boost to speed is nice for someone with an excellent ranged stunner. There is also another shackle item for the abom that gives protection for a tiny speed penalty. If you pair those two shackles the abom gets a damage boost, an overall +2 speed boost and prot buff and that HP penalty.

Edit: Also, put Hew on the Leper already! The Leper's huge damage means he can reliably kill a weakened enemy and put the hurt on another at the same time. In addition, if those shield fish block for a spearfish in rank 2, Hew ignores that protection and wrecks that spearfish.

I do healerless runs all the time, though I don't think I would roll without a healer on a long champion dungeon. Like you say, if you can bring a fast team that alpha-strikes the enemy damage dealers, you can rely on food and camping to mitigate the attrition damage.

I especially like taking a fast team to the Cove, since the dangerous enemies in the Cove tend to be pretty fragile. A group of fishmen are a lot more manageable if you manage to kill half of them before they get to act. They are pretty fast, so the team needs gear or traits that boost speed. Bring a stunner to deal with the guardians. Also a plague doctor is amazing in the Cove.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I lean too much on using my camping at the last part of the dungeon to use it as a heal. Basically I go through the entire dungeon, set up camp at/before the last area and use all camp activities on reducing stress. This allows me to instantly send them out again without bothering with the inn or abbey but does mean I lose out on damage buffs and mid-dungeon heals.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Tylana posted:

When playing yesterday some corpses auto-cleared. Maybe more like 4 rounds, which is longer than a lot of fights, but I was doing a Anti/BH/Cr/Cr team for no sane reason. Had several Death's Door checks on poor Reynauld due to starvation because the rate of food use is just weird and screwy (and because I backtracked to a secret room because greed). So much Prot in green Warrens, weep.

This is why I hate Hunger. Its such a crap-shoot mechanic with no feedback given to subvert it.

double nine posted:

I lean too much on using my camping at the last part of the dungeon to use it as a heal. Basically I go through the entire dungeon, set up camp at/before the last area and use all camp activities on reducing stress. This allows me to instantly send them out again without bothering with the inn or abbey but does mean I lose out on damage buffs and mid-dungeon heals.

I tend to camp half-way through a dungeon unless its a boss, where instead I rest before the boss since that is basically the halfway point in many instances.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

I use up firewood as soon as my inventory gets full. I'm also paranoid about hunger so I always do the 2 food option.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

I've recently started using 4 bloodthirst trinkets to just completely remove the need of bringing food. That random hunger event is always beneficial, your party can feast without any actual food when resting, and any free food found in the dungeon can just be gobbled down without worry while freeing up inventory. Only real downside other than trinket slots being occupied is that sometimes you may forget to check traits and find that someone in the party is a stress eater, ruining the whole thing.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Really enjoying the LP, the game looks like a blast. When I have free time again, I'll have to pick this up. Thanks for doing this!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I think the tough part would be doing all healer runs.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

MuffinsAndPie posted:

I've recently started using 4 bloodthirst trinkets to just completely remove the need of bringing food. That random hunger event is always beneficial, your party can feast without any actual food when resting, and any free food found in the dungeon can just be gobbled down without worry while freeing up inventory. Only real downside other than trinket slots being occupied is that sometimes you may forget to check traits and find that someone in the party is a stress eater, ruining the whole thing.

I have done that, with aboms no food 1 torch in case of shamblers, surprisingly good.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Scribbleykins posted:

Testing a gimmick build that you're not sure will work, but does, is the greatest thing. :allears:

Some of the best time I've had in this game was clearing a champion dungeon with the All-Jester Finale Train.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

ZeroCount posted:

Some of the best time I've had in this game was clearing a champion dungeon with the All-Jester Finale Train.

My current jester setup tends to be opening up with Finale then doing the buff/destress for the rest of the battle. Coupled with a crusader's holy lance and/or Hellion's iron swan and the enemy rear ranks just melt away it's wonderful. ²

² offer does not apply everywhere rng will gently caress you over no refunds

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

double nine posted:

My current jester setup tends to be opening up with Finale then doing the buff/destress for the rest of the battle. Coupled with a crusader's holy lance and/or Hellion's iron swan and the enemy rear ranks just melt away it's wonderful. ²

² offer does not apply everywhere rng will gently caress you over no refunds

the problem with the reverse paintrain jester setup is that speed rolls can really screw you up.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
New Update - Episode 12: "No corpses make the game harder"

The last of the drudgery episodes, today is an episode of being ill prepared and under-equipped but it doesn't matter since Glaive is a strong Hellion.

We also talk a bit about the game's inspirations, bring up corpses once more, and also discuss how I can't read.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016
Hey, the Occultist went to a liberal arts college. He knows the value of a healthy diet full of medicinal herbs.

Also how can you even argue that this game isn't based on Lovecraft when motherfucking Wayne June is narrating it?

And lock that Beast Hater in ASAP. Start crafting the ultimate dogman.

Halser fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 5, 2016

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
You were confused about the herb in you inventory, The Jester comes with the free herb cause of course he does. :2bong:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Mentioning sources, I feel I have to mention the game's art direction. The game's character art isn't influenced by early Hellboy era Mike Mignola. It wants to be him, like in a wearing of a skin suit kind of way. To the point where I had to look it up to make sure he wasn't a consultant on it or something.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

NuminaXLT posted:

You were confused about the herb in you inventory, The Jester comes with the free herb cause of course he does. :2bong:

drug jokes aside it's also real dang useful for clearing finale debuffs, herbs are a Jester's best friend

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

The King In Yellow was written by Robert Chambers (who himself took stuff like Hastur and Carcosa from Ambrose Bierce - Lovecraft's writing group all borrowed ideas and names from each other and played off each other's stories, hence the overlap) and the titular play itself was mentioned off-handedly by Lovecraft himself in a couple of stories. August Derleth folded the whole thing together when he took to unifying the works of Lovecraft and friends into one shared universe. So while it's not strictly a Lovecraft story, it's required reading, in a way.

Scaramouche posted:

Mentioning sources, I feel I have to mention the game's art direction. The game's character art isn't influenced by early Hellboy era Mike Mignola. It wants to be him, like in a wearing of a skin suit kind of way. To the point where I had to look it up to make sure he wasn't a consultant on it or something.

Seriously, it's Ed Gein levels of 'I want to be you'. His humans tend to be more realistically-proportioned though, while everyone in this is almost super-deformed.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm fine with Darkest Dungeon mantling Mike Mignola in this way. It's a really great aesthetic that doesn't get used often enough, and which fits this game to a tee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
Bought the game because of this LP, realized I should've bought it a long time ago. Thanks!

It really reminds me of FTL, where if you forget to manage one little factor, you'll get wrecked. So far my go-to combo is riposte/pointblank highwayman with protect antiquarian, such synergy. Trying to get through the 2nd bosses now, but worried that most of my dudes have outleveled them :(

Anyway, great LP! Sign me up as Antiquarian, Highwayman, or Leper, should the chance arise. Can confirm Leper hew is great; spread the pain around and clear corpses.

• Locked thread