Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
Don't rely solely on stats.. you cannot control the outcome solely and even worse Allah knows the other 11 mongoloids on your team are likely more apt to driving into islands or running away from conflict making it drat near impossible to maintain a really good W/R. I am happy doing more than my ships HP in damage than I am winning a match all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I present the Dunkerque, cool and good

So cool that the captain she arrived with is an academy award nominee :swoon:

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with invisible, high tier DDs just raining hellfire on you in a BB?

I'm really struggling with them in my Scharnhorst. Getting constantly set on fire by an invisible Fletcher is about the most unfun thing I've ever experienced.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Devorum posted:

Does anyone have any advice for how to deal with invisible, high tier DDs just raining hellfire on you in a BB?

I'm really struggling with them in my Scharnhorst. Getting constantly set on fire by an invisible Fletcher is about the most unfun thing I've ever experienced.

Find an island to hide behind, shout at at the Fletcher/Udaloi on your team for not doing its job, that's really about it.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Alternatively, shoot your carrier on your team if there is one for not sparing a squad to check out the area you are getting shot from. Especially after the torp/dive bombers are expended, a quick look would save a world of hurt.

In other news, I had to share this fantastic loss in a dunkerque..

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/15749

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Best way to not be made a bitch from manual dropped torps right up your grill?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Asproigerosis posted:

Best way to not be made a bitch from manual dropped torps right up your grill?

Turn into them. Start turning before the plane even gets close.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

Turn into them. Start turning before the plane even gets close.

Still not enough against a competent player, who will just reset the drop. You'll catch at least one torpedo.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
The key word there is competent..

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Also depending on tier and ship you can't just reset the drop because more of your planes will die. Many player will rather commit or set up a cross drop in the first place. Not really a thing in lower tiers because of anemic AA though.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Low tier, not much you can do. Tier ~6+? Resetting the drop will mean you'll face half the torps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Sometimes you just have to accept that you're going to take a hit, and minimise how many of the torps actually connect.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Please tell me not to buy a Saipan.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Vengarr posted:

Don't buy a Saipan because I want less competent CV players to go against tia

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
But we could play our carriers together in a division and--oh

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Vengarr posted:

Too bad, Saipan is probably one of the better premiums in the game now, due to recent MM changes. T8+ matches can only have one CV in them, which means you will NEVER see a T8+ CV. You're always guaranteed to be top tier CV, though you can still see T9 ships of other varieties.

The only unfortunate aspects of the Saipan are its rather low damage output and the fact that US CVs aren't terribly good right now, reducing its usefulness as a US CV trainer.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

Sometimes you just have to accept that you're going to take a hit, and minimise how many of the torps actually connect.

Yeah, you can definitely slow down the process against a good carrier (and only take heavy damage rather than game-ending damage) - but at the same time that can mean doing a death-turn and getting ultra-hosed by the other team.

Lately I have the most trouble with good carriers in my DD's. You don't have the AAA to defend yourself and you end up spotted for as long as they take to set up the bomb run on you, which can do some pretty hefty damage if it connects. This can be bad if you're screening your team and disastrous if you're trying to engage other destroyers. They sacrifice going after your BBs with torp bombers to do it, but I have yet to find a good way to not get hosed with still doing useful DD things when one decides to focus on me.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

How do I make my ship lineup look like this? I can't find that option :(

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

So has anyone actually seen the sort of salvoes the testers were talking about the Dunk continually getting hit with or do they seem to be more rarities? Because I really can't seem to hit them with big shots unless they make a mistake.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

It's in aslains modpack.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

So has anyone actually seen the sort of salvoes the testers were talking about the Dunk continually getting hit with or do they seem to be more rarities? Because I really can't seem to hit them with big shots unless they make a mistake.

I haven't experienced any in mine. On the other hand, I have experienced a lot of ping noises from even battleships hitting me. I'm not sure how I can recreate more bounces, but the thing is armored in some way that I'm unsure how. If I knew it, I could exploit it, but instead, I find myself fiddling with the throttle a lot bouncing between going forwards and going in reverse.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JuffoWup posted:

I haven't experienced any in mine. On the other hand, I have experienced a lot of ping noises from even battleships hitting me. I'm not sure how I can recreate more bounces, but the thing is armored in some way that I'm unsure how. If I knew it, I could exploit it, but instead, I find myself fiddling with the throttle a lot bouncing between going forwards and going in reverse.

Yeah it really seems to be something very different from the horrifyingly vulnerable ship the testers reviewed.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Yeah it really seems to be something very different from the horrifyingly vulnerable ship the testers reviewed.

if you want to see that oddity at play, look up a few posts of mine where I did 185k in my dunk. It was a loss though, but replay is there to view. I bounced so many things I had no right to and I I am not sure if it was angling, or bad pubbie aim.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

xthetenth posted:

It would not surprise me at all if the super-tester version had a bug in the armor layout that got fixed by release.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

It would not surprise me at all if the super-tester version had a bug in the armor layout that got fixed by release.

The indy suffered in initial reviews because of that as well.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Do the anime ships shoot lasers?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Asproigerosis posted:

Do the anime ships shoot lasers?

No, but the Myoko's have sparkly force fields when a torpedo hits another ship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

AfroSquirrel posted:

The multirow carousel is now a built in option, within the menu from the icon above the ships in the bottom left corner; the fancy icons are in Aslain's, in the Various Mods section called 'Better ship icons on compact carousel'

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
You know that talk about the dunkerque we just had? ATSF just put up his video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWroA7310E

And well, that section with the pinging shells, I've experienced that in a single game at about that rhythm. It is an amazing feeling.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

7 loving Ibuki games to get a win. Top 3 in 4 of the 6 losses, and still top 6 in a 5th. Of course the last game which was the actual win was a loving 9 vs. 9 with multiple Yamatos, and 4 T10s total on each team, on both sides so it wasn't a great game with sub 1000k base exp.

4/15 wins to games overall tonight, top 3 in the vast majority. MM, go gently caress yourself and burn in hell.

edit: Some gems of the games were a game on Two Brothers (Domination), where, with us starting at the northern cap, our CV somehow managed to die in the loving southern cap like halfway through the game. And another where two BBs, halfway to the enemy cap on Shatter (Standard), with a single Blys being the only enemy on their side of the map, turning around and heading back to our cap, literally saying in chat "All their ships are on that side of the map" - all enemy ships on the other side of the map were around their own cap.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 4, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
Bayern was amazing, flat out best T6 Battleship by miles IMO. The Gneisenau is a complete POS in comparison. Great speed, I'm not seeing the good armor yet (still in A hull), and poo poo dispersion even with the aiming module.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

So I had no idea one could get Solo Warrior for simply outlasting to a victory :aaaaa:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

My solo warriors have all been with a dead guy at the beginning of the match berating everyone else who is alive up until the win happens.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
Man, the difference between the current Myoko class ARP mission and the previous one over here on the Asia server is real bonkers

ARP Myoko(the previous one, this ship was previously available in a different mission that ran for like two months at the start of the year):
Tier 6 Ships and Up
Stage 1; Deal 100,000 DmG to Cruisers
Stage 2: Deal 100,000 Dmg to Destroyers
Stage 3: Deal 100,000 Dmg to Battleships
Stage 4: Deal 50,000 Dmg to Carriers(this one took me nearly two weeks and might not have been completed it if WG hadn't ran a bonus Exp for Carriers event which convinced enough people to start playing CVs at that Tier that I could actually get into a match with one)
Stage 5: Top 5 by Exp in one battle

ARP Nachi(the current one):
Stage 6 Ships and up
Stage 1: 10 Citadels
Stage 2: Deal 100,000 Dmg total
Stage 3: Burn ships for 20,000 DMG
Stage 4: Top 5 by Exp in one battle

Talk about a hard drop in difficulty, the first took me almost the whole month, the second I lazily did in a weekend. Kinda makes me wonder what the clear rate was and if this is them reacting to it

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Other posted:

Man, the difference between the current Myoko class ARP mission and the previous one over here on the Asia server is real bonkers

ARP Myoko(the previous one, this ship was previously available in a different mission that ran for like two months at the start of the year):
Tier 6 Ships and Up
Stage 1; Deal 100,000 DmG to Cruisers
Stage 2: Deal 100,000 Dmg to Destroyers
Stage 3: Deal 100,000 Dmg to Battleships
Stage 4: Deal 50,000 Dmg to Carriers(this one took me nearly two weeks and might not have been completed it if WG hadn't ran a bonus Exp for Carriers event which convinced enough people to start playing CVs at that Tier that I could actually get into a match with one)
Stage 5: Top 5 by Exp in one battle

ARP Nachi(the current one):
Stage 6 Ships and up
Stage 1: 10 Citadels
Stage 2: Deal 100,000 Dmg total
Stage 3: Burn ships for 20,000 DMG
Stage 4: Top 5 by Exp in one battle

Talk about a hard drop in difficulty, the first took me almost the whole month, the second I lazily did in a weekend. Kinda makes me wonder what the clear rate was and if this is them reacting to it

Interesting that your ships are different. I believe the nachi missions is what we had for arp myoko when they first hit the US. The kongo was similar as well. This time, we has ashigara instead of nachi and it is just "deal damage". There was someone already tooting around with one yesterday and someone else had already shrieked on how they could have it as it only has been active for two days. I'm on stage 3 myself. It isn't too bad when you get a random near 200k damage game.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

JacksLibido posted:

Bayern was amazing, flat out best T6 Battleship by miles IMO. The Gneisenau is a complete POS in comparison. Great speed, I'm not seeing the good armor yet (still in A hull), and poo poo dispersion even with the aiming module.

The armor is specially designed to be extremely hard to citadel from the side. It's not designed to block all penetrations, and that's the trade-off. You don't take the massive hits but you're more likely to take consistent penetrations.

Stevefin posted:

So I had no idea one could get Solo Warrior for simply outlasting to a victory :aaaaa:

Oh yeah, my previous solo warrior was in a Derpski where I just ran away for 2 minutes with a huge point advantage. The game I posted recently was my first where I killed for it.

I think Jingles has a video where a group of players manage to turn around a game and kill everyone except one ship. An afk ship, that they were unable to kill before time expired and they lost on points.

That afk fucker got solo warrior. :negative:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
In EU the missions for the ARP ships are

- Deal 1.000.000 damage T4+ for the Kongo-class commander
- Hit 2000x with the main gun T4+ for the Kongo-class ship
- Deal 2.000.000 damage T7+ for the Myoko-class commander
- Hit 3000x with the main gun T7+ for the Myoko-class ship

Pretty easy to do really but the hits can be annoying if you grind BBs since you won't get the number of hits that DDs or Cruisers can produce.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I just reinstalled and my laptop's performance has gone to poo poo. I used to average 25-30 fps on low settings but now it fluctuates all over the place with spikes up to 70 dropping down to 5.

I'm checking my drivers and the standard stuff but is there a particular reason for this on the game's end?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JuffoWup posted:

You know that talk about the dunkerque we just had? ATSF just put up his video about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiWroA7310E

And well, that section with the pinging shells, I've experienced that in a single game at about that rhythm. It is an amazing feeling.

I've had the same with the pinging shells, and it's a lot different than the early videos were describing. Much welcome too, especially on low hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

Armor doesn't change between hulls afaik. The gneisenau's armor is kind of on its side. Exact same scheme as on the scharn. See atsf's video on how to bounce with it. Lately though, I'm struggling in my gneisenau. Everyone knows you have torps and everyone including your team will do their utmost to make you have miserable snipe fest games where scharns with he will gently caress your face right over.