Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
went 5 - 4 - 1 tie got 2786

finished last season at 66

i have gotten so many pure poo poo teammates i should have 6 man stacked my way to 3k+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Man there is just zero excuse for letting people start in green channel in comp. I'm 3 matches into placement and haven't had a single one where the whole team was in blue.

Steeltalon
Feb 14, 2012

Perps were uncooperative.

Oops wrong thread.

Steeltalon fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 4, 2016

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Went 3-6-1 and got Gold, did I git gud? I'm not sure. One of those losses was some weird disconnect, which was too bad because up to that point I was alternating wins and losses and was at least hoping to bust my rear end up to being 5-5. Currently at 2145.

Just last game the only audible guy on mic is sperging out about team comps, accusing all of us of trolling him and giving the other team a free win. And of course we come back with two massive upsets to the opponents which makes him look like a huge whiny baby the whole time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Tom Gorman posted:

I play Overwatch like the fat WoW guy from south park so my wrist never moves more than about 3 inches

I make sure to slouch as much as I can and make an effort to expend as little energy as possible

still got platinum, this is the wu-tang secret

I know you post in jest but I honestly think it's easier for me to aim controllably this way, doubling my sensitivity gave me a few improved games today

I'll be damned if I know why

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!
got 4 ties in my placements, lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Can Ana serve as a solo healer as a rule? Haven't played her yet.

Also what's the difference / point between this and the chill thread, I've lost track

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Divine Blob posted:

went 5 - 4 - 1 tie got 2786

finished last season at 66

i have gotten so many pure poo poo teammates i should have 6 man stacked my way to 3k+

Solo queue is better because any 6 man party is a tryhard parade

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I mean as a rule you generally don't want a solo healer at all. Any of the supports can serve as a solo healer if nobody else is willing to play support and one is better than none. Ana can do good work but as a solo support her crippling weakness is that while her ult is a good enabler for breaking through a choke or helping someone get a sick triple-kill it won't do anything to protect your team when poo poo goes down unless you're a miracle worker with sleep darts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So the game's shifted to two supports per team instead of one? Hm. Alright, I guess :geno:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ciaphas posted:

Also what's the difference / point between this and the chill thread, I've lost track

It's completely dependent on the group. Ana is useless if everyone is running off in different directions trying to make those sick plays on their own. Of course then your whole group is hosed in general. People say she's good as an off healer but I don't really agree. Her main problem is that she has poo poo mobility and no escape tools like the other 3 (her sleep dart is not reliable, it is hard to hit with that thing), so if your team isn't supporting you back, it's pointless.

edit: What no you don't need two supports, idk what that dude is talking about. Two supports is obviously good but so is two of lots of things. You aren't gimping yourself by having only one healer

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Also damnit I want D.Va to be more fun than she is to play, buit that loving peashooter of a primary weapon

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
some dude bitched at me for a solid ten minutes after i told him roadhog shouldn't be considered a tank and he should play a tank while i play roadhog

was whining i wasnt there to help him while i was picking off the enemy team lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Comp.jpg

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Ciaphas posted:

Also damnit I want D.Va to be more fun than she is to play, buit that loving peashooter of a primary weapon

Aim for the head and dash Melee into enemies on cool down. It's a ton of fun.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

come at me you little spaghetti, I will kiss you right on the mouth I swear

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Well, to be fair, were any of them queer, bitch boys, spaghetti, or faggots?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Ciaphas posted:

Her offensive capability is made up by the fact that she can be pretty much invincible for 4~ seconds at a time and have the mobility that some flankers would be jealous of.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Same for Reinhardt, actually

I see other players mop up and protect their team with equal fervor then I pick him and just kinda futilely lose my shield and die in melee

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

edit: What no you don't need two supports, idk what that dude is talking about. Two supports is obviously good but so is two of lots of things. You aren't gimping yourself by having only one healer

I mean you can win with any comp, I've won games before where our only "support" was a Symmetra but that doesn't mean I'd recommend it. Having only a single support means that you're at kind of a disadvantage, sorry, people didn't just spontaneously decide to roll with double-support because of a dare. Having a single support means that you're going to be more vulnerable to having your lone support dived and killed and then the rest of your team is without healing or utility boosts while you wait for them to respawn, double-support helps keep your team up and effective for longer without having to break off and fall back scavenging for health packs, and it alleviates the pressure from the solo support player who no longer has to feel like they're responsible for the entire team's wellbeing all on their own. Also double support ults is extremely handy to have.

Here's a bit more of a detailed breakdown of Ana.

Cons:

-No mobility whatsoever, she's with Zenyatta in that regard. Can't hurry to catch up with the team, can't quickly reposition.
-Unlike the other supports you have to be pretty on-point with your aim. Your healing projectiles have generous hitboxes but still, this is unlike Lucio who heals by being nearby or Zenyatta who can send a healing orb your way and then let it do its thing. As Ana you have to be "on" 100% the entire game.
-For a support, has kind of bad self-healing options. Lucio and Mercy regenerate, and technically so does 3/4ths of Zenyatta's health bar. Her only self-sustain is the biotic grenade which much of the time you'll want to be chucking into teamfights.
-No panic button ult. Nanoboost won't save your team from an ulting Genji or an Earthshatter, or bring them back from death.

Pros:

-Can put out very good damage if your aim is on-point. Zen is still the support king of DPS but a well-played Ana is almost certainly in second place.
-Biotic Grenade's ability to deny the enemy healing can be an incredibly strong pressuring tool. Being able to effectively tell someone "actually for the next few seconds it's like you don't have any supports at all" can be the difference between a fight ending triple-kill and getting bogged down or pushed back.
-Reasonably high healing output potential. Mercy has taken the number-one solo healing trophy since the latest patch but as with damage, Ana comes in a respectable second. This is contingent on your aim and awareness, of course, but the ceiling is there to reach for.
-Nanoboost charges extremely fast. An Ana that's firing on all cylinders can easily have it charged to full in less than a minute.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Away all Goats posted:

Her offensive capability is made up by the fact that she can be pretty much invincible for 4~ seconds at a time and have the mobility that some flankers would be jealous of.

Which flankers?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

strong bird posted:

Which flankers?

D.Va can take advantage of some vertical shortcuts that Tracer can't.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

It should straight up be illegal to play Lúcio while being that angry and also that racist. Why do people act like this in such a silly game?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
And D.Va gets to all the same places Pharah or Reaper can, but faster.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

its nice that ana is in the game because theres now two non boring supports if you have to pick one

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

sunsweet posted:

It should straight up be illegal to play Lúcio while being that angry and also that racist. Why do people act like this in such a silly game?

Spoken like a goddamn spaghetti.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
I hope Blizzard does nothing with the reports I sent in, like they seem to do when I report people for calling me the n-word while playing Lúcio!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
So did they really make an auto filter for GG EZ but not slurs?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I think I've lost the last dozen or so rounds, but since I've been booted to the menu between most of them I can only think of one common denominator

That... kind of hurts, honestly

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

D.Va's tons of fun. You've just got to swoop in, rocket punch, and shoot mans in the head until they fall down. Her cannons do great work up close.

And if you're holding back protecting your group, plinking away with chip damage can often make the difference in turning wounded enemies into eliminated enemies.

And her ult, of course, is super effective if you boost it in at angles.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Ersatz posted:

D.Va's tons of fun. You've just got to swoop in, rocket punch, and shoot mans in the head until they fall down. Her cannons do great work up close.

And if you're holding back protecting your group, plinking away with chip damage can often make the difference in turning wounded enemies into eliminated enemies.

And her ult, of course, is super effective if you boost it in at angles.

Yeah nothing is more fun than rocket punching a Hanzo or widow on their perch then point blank blasting them in the head. D.Va is really fun I find and having a second life is awesome for when you overextend. She's not top tier damage but she's a blast to play and survivable as hell.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Like with Winston, one of the keys to running D.Va well seems to be learning how not to overextend hunting for kills, especially as D.Va might have a boost but she's a strictly inferior pursuer to Winston who can chase and shoot at full speed. Sticking with the group until you find an opportunity to range out and finish someone off then boosting back to rejoin the team works a lot better, plus it lets you use your defense matrix to shield more than just yourself.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheresaJayne posted:

You guys are so much better than me, how can i "git gud"?

http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/TheresaJayne-2869

the last few quick play matches i have played have worked fine until we have the point at 99% then the other team just wipes the floor with us.
Is it just that I am bad or is it that the other members are just throwing the match?

It's a combination of how overtime works + how people in quickplay save all their ults until the very end of a match for the last desperate push (encouraged by how overtime works).

It's not throwing the match as much as people just kinda rush one by one into the point until the match is almost over. At this point I usually play the last 10 seconds or so assuming every single enemy is going to ult at the same time which leads to me also saving up my ult. Having something like Lucio or Zenyatta activate their ult at the end can undo a lot of the desperate rush strategy

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm starting to think some people are chain quitting placement matches until they get on a team where somebody already placed at a decent rank.

Notable Dom X
Apr 3, 2011

by exmarx
Buglord
BM on my screen already

Mom's spaghetti

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I know they turned up the range of Mei's ult, but did they turn up the speed too? I played a match where we got five dropped on us over the last five minutes and OT, along with three in the rest of the match. Player ended up with 55 freezes. And it wasn't a stomp we were in the 90% until we got that one-per-minute barrage.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I've gradually gotten better at D.Va after learning a few tricks from other players.

She doesn't have to reload which is nice because close up you can just mash down LMB and spray away. Her dash shoves enemies around and is a great setup for her ult.

I also learned you can trigger your ult in the split second before you eject out of your destroyed mech, which leads to quite a few surprise kills. But you gotta be careful where you hop in a fresh mech because it appears that all those frames of animation where the mech teleports to your position you are still obviously 'zero suit' D.Va; I've gotten killed many times when an enemy hit me in what must've been the very last frame of the animation.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Dumb question: Is there any significance to rating a match or voting on a player for doing particularly notable (most eliminations, healing, etc)? Also in one of my games someone got a whopping 10 votes which apparently is a higher tier of reward or something?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you get nothing for card votes, it's absolutely pointless and just a way of letting you congratulate someone on playing well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Do you get a little bonus exp for getting 5 or 10 votes? I assumed you did but never paid attention to check.