Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I got to play like half an hour, a lot of it was just cutscenes and running around because the demo just seems to be the beginning of the game but I had fun with the combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Always nice when they get technical issues while showing new content...

edit: and then they get it back up, show ten seconds of combat, and say "whelp, just wanted to show you the beginning of this fight, that's it really. Here are some t-shirts, bye!".

Pennfalath fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 3, 2016

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:laffo: they literally blew a breaker

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
As someone who hasn't played a final fantasy game since 8 and generally doesn't give a flying gently caress about jrpgs, I'm oddly interested in and even excited for ff15. Tabata seems like a genuinely chill and awesome dude and the story/characters/world actually looks interesting instead of the overwrought vapid cat piss that has usually driven me away. Just wondering how much impact changing directors a number of times over a decade is going to impact the cohesiveness of final product.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
NEW INFO

[Active combat skills]
>AP is shared between Noctis and party members. Player can decide who to upgrade.
>A mid air stationary dodge by pressing X/Square
>a few "use link attacks with X or Y weapon"
>A skill called death drop, which is triggered by pressing dodge in the air from a long range.
>A skill called Airstep, which is described as: "take a step in mid air after attacking, one time only"
>A skill called Airstride, described as: "perform a second air step after a second attack"
>A skill called Airdance, allowing infinite airsteps after using an attack (still costs mp)
>Blink: phases through an enemy's attack without using mp by pressing defend at the last second.
>Phase: automatically evade attacks while holding down Defend
>Upcharger: raise the charging limit on charge attacks
>Warp Decoy: leave a hologram at your initial position after a point warp

[Passive skills]
>Rapid Regen: Increases HP and MP recovery while in Cover
>Equip 2 accessories
>Libra: lock on while in cover to scan for weaknesses
>Libra Pinpoint: Boost damage inflicted on scanned enemies' appendages
>Enhanced Libra: Scan for stronger enemies' weaknesses and ifentify daemon appendages that can be destroyed

[Combat]
>Lightning magic is conducted through metal, and you can electrocute yourself if you're not careful where you cast it.
>Dungeons have areas with water, metal, or rocks every so many meters which augments the importance of magic choice depending on your surroundings.
>Magic can be combined into quadcast Fira/Thundara, which quadruples the combined Fira and Thundara magic effect.
>Parry windows are longer/shorter depending on the equipped weapon

[general gameplay]
>Car is fully controllable in manual mode and can be damaged.
>SideQuest dungeon had branching paths, and some surprises like goblins pushing minecarts or a samurai knocking you from the 2nd to the 3rd floor.
>SideQuest dungeon had a lvl38 enemy while Noctis was at lvl17. Area could be accessed early game.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

TG-Chrono posted:

Just wondering how much impact changing directors a number of times over a decade is going to impact the cohesiveness of final product.

It changed directors once, and by all accounts the first did basically no work.

That's... not as much of a compliment as I meant it but it at least mitigates that one worry. :v:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Yeah absolutely. That's good to hear, must've misread something somewhere :shobon:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

It changed directors once, and by all accounts the first did basically no work.

That's... not as much of a compliment as I meant it but it at least mitigates that one worry. :v:

And now he's working on the FF7 Remake, so we can rest easy knowing that it will do nothing to malign the original (because it's never ever ever coming out)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF7 got a gameplay demo in like under 6 months, it's way ahead of any FF project before

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Oxxidation posted:

And now he's working on the FF7 Remake, so we can rest easy knowing that it will do nothing to malign the original (because it's never ever ever coming out)

Yeah I posted this in the main thread, but he released like 8 games in the period between Versus coming out and being taken off XV. The reason nothing happened with Versus beyond Nomura's own issues as a director was because XIII and XIV hosed up so badly that every division in square got cannibalized to go put that poo poo together for ARR.

The most common complaint from ARR people I hear now is "Oh they cannibalized ARRs team to work on XV!" And you look at the names and no, it's the people who were working on Versus who were pulled from it to work on ARR, went back to working on Versus now that it's XV.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Onmi posted:

NEW INFO

The first half of that first section we already knew about, or at least, someone who has kept up to date on news articles/gameplay videos would know those. The rest, to my knowledge, actually is new. I'm a little iffy about the car being fully controllable while manual. A lot of other rewviewers were saying that it really isn't and you can basically only press the stick forward on the road and that's where it'll go, basically no different from when Ignis is driving you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tae posted:

FF7 got a gameplay demo in like under 6 months, it's way ahead of any FF project before

Given that the FFXIII and original FFXV "demos" turned out to be sophisticated CG mockups I really don't trust material from SE on that front anymore. Though maybe they've released something else since then, I haven't kept up with FF7R in a while.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gologle posted:

The first half of that first section we already knew about, or at least, someone who has kept up to date on news articles/gameplay videos would know those. The rest, to my knowledge, actually is new. I'm a little iffy about the car being fully controllable while manual. A lot of other rewviewers were saying that it really isn't and you can basically only press the stick forward on the road and that's where it'll go, basically no different from when Ignis is driving you.

But they responded to those complaints and changed it. During the live demo today at PAX the player intentionally swerved all over the road, and the commentator said the car could get damaged from running into things.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Ah, I was at work and didn't know there was a live stream of it going on. Well, hey, good for them. That November delay sounds better by the second if they're actually implementing responses to problems people have brought up.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Tae posted:

That wasn't a gameplay demo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So are people pretending like Kingdom Hearts 3 isn't also coming out and hasn't gotten regular gameplay updates or something? Or that Nomura wasn't regularly heading projects that came out?

It seems genuinely kind of lovely to look at the complete mess that was S-E's production staff and pretend like every bit of it was Nomura and it's impossible for him to put games out when there is demonstrable proof that is false.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I mean I agree but he's also admitted to making most decisions when drunk and on the fly telling people that Versus 13 should be a musical instead because he watched a movie

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Terper posted:

I mean I agree but he's also admitted to making most decisions when drunk and on the fly telling people that Versus 13 should be a musical instead because he watched a movie

The source of that story is an IGN interview where they didn't even actually quote Nomura, they reported it as an offhand thing he said during an hour-long interview. It is very likely that it was not, in fact, meant entirely seriously but instead for some reason people are utterly 100% convinced that this was some grand master plan of his and he ABSOLUTELY was going to make it a musical because he's so inept and crazy.

Also brainstorming in literally anything involves tossing ideas out and countless directors, writers and other creators talk about how they make significant changes to their works based off experiences they've had or things which inspired them. Tons of films have major and minor plot changes based off ad-libbing or spur-of-the-moment chance. So telling me a director at some point went "hey, maybe our game should be a musical" and acting like it's this ~oh so crazy~ thing is excessive.

Edit: Like, yeah, Nomura's eccentric. He'd kind of have to be to be responsible for Kingdom Hearts which is the most anime thing to ever exist in this world. It just genuinely feels like because he's the most recognizable name Square-Enix has left the full brunt of every criticism is leveled at him (even for games he never worked on or barely worked on!) Versus XIII was a clusterfuck but it seems pretty genuine that Versus XIII was basically not even really in development but one of the many victims of S-E's massive internal development problems around that time.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Sep 4, 2016

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

The source of that story is an IGN interview where they didn't even actually quote Nomura, they reported it as an offhand thing he said during an hour-long interview. It is very likely that it was not, in fact, meant entirely seriously but instead for some reason people are utterly 100% convinced that this was some grand master plan of his and he ABSOLUTELY was going to make it a musical because he's so inept and crazy.

Also brainstorming in literally anything involves tossing ideas out and countless directors, writers and other creators talk about how they make significant changes to their works based off experiences they've had or things which inspired them. Tons of films have major and minor plot changes based off ad-libbing or spur-of-the-moment chance. So telling me a director at some point went "hey, maybe our game should be a musical" and acting like it's this ~oh so crazy~ thing is excessive.

Edit: Like, yeah, Nomura's eccentric. He'd kind of have to be to be responsible for Kingdom Hearts which is the most anime thing to ever exist in this world. It just genuinely feels like because he's the most recognizable name Square-Enix has left the full brunt of every criticism is leveled at him (even for games he never worked on or barely worked on!) Versus XIII was a clusterfuck but it seems pretty genuine that Versus XIII was basically not even really in development but one of the many victims of S-E's massive internal development problems around that time.

I legitimately watching someone go through the motions of explaining why FFXIII was Nomura's fault for his "Influence" and then justified that it didn't matter that Nomura's own games were nothing like XIII, they were still poo poo. It was like watching a money flinging poop. But honestly the Musical story is the same as a lot of Nomura stories, like the FFVIIR one where the story spreading was "Nomura didn't even know he was directing the game!" and it's like, yeah... when they first internalized that they were doing it, he didn't think he was going to be the director for it, because they still had FFVII's director on staff, he had only ever written the story for the original game (and only the original story) and he at the time still had XV and KH3 on his plate.

Honestly my favorite Nomura story is when they were in the initial discussions for Kingdom Hearts, he drew the Lion-Sora with a Chainsword and then just stared at the horrified Disney peoples faces and went "No, didn't think so." Followed closely by calling Tabata at 2 AM because he had a good idea and basically dragged him to the office and detailed it all out on the whiteboard. Then again he's drinking buddies with Kojima, so he's definitely eccentric.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It's the XVth Final Fantasy. XVth.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_OF7xFFaG0

Pax west footage, more context magic (Don't use lightning magic when near water)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Terper posted:

Final Fantasy 6 was very overtly modeled after opera so I don't know that is a really strange idea to throw around.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

It just genuinely feels like because he's the most recognizable name Square-Enix has left the full brunt of every criticism is leveled at him (even for games he never worked on or barely worked on!)

I wonder how much of that comes down entirely to all the title screens with "Character Design by Tetsuta Nomura" across the bottom.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what are you meant to watch first the anime show or the anime cg movie

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Super No Vacancy posted:

what are you meant to watch first the anime show or the anime cg movie

They occur simultaneously and separately, so you can go either way. The anime's probably better though, if that influences you.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

KH3 is actually shaping up to be really good, be nice to Nomura-sama

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

The Anime is more about the relationship between Noctis and his sidekicks whereas the movie is about the history and geopolitics surrounding the world. The anime is easier to stomach but I actually didn't mind the movie, it's nowhere near as inscrutable as reviewers made out.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Final Fantasy 6 was very overtly modeled after opera so I don't know that is a really strange idea to throw around.

Yes, and in hindsight it makes more sense, but at the time of the interviews we were lead to believe that Versus 13 was actually a game that was in development and maybe even approaching something akin to completion.

Anyhoo, I don't think it's done so much for the sake of bashing Nomura (any more than usual) as much as it is for the sake of defending Tabata. A lot of people (well, of the vocal minority) complain about Tabata being in charge and changing so much and disrupting this great vision that they had built in their head Nomura had planned out, like Stella and the invasion of Insomnia and the party scene and everything. Tabata himself has noted that they've received some pretty vile comments from people like that, and while he's pretty steely when it comes to that, other people in the dev team feel bad about it and he's had to reassure them. So when people attempt to defend what Tabata is doing, they tend to lean towards commenting on Nomura.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Terper posted:

Yes, and in hindsight it makes more sense, but at the time of the interviews we were lead to believe that Versus 13 was actually a game that was in development and maybe even approaching something akin to completion.

Anyhoo, I don't think it's done so much for the sake of bashing Nomura (any more than usual) as much as it is for the sake of defending Tabata. A lot of people (well, of the vocal minority) complain about Tabata being in charge and changing so much and disrupting this great vision that they had built in their head Nomura had planned out, like Stella and the invasion of Insomnia and the party scene and everything. Tabata himself has noted that they've received some pretty vile comments from people like that, and while he's pretty steely when it comes to that, other people in the dev team feel bad about it and he's had to reassure them. So when people attempt to defend what Tabata is doing, they tend to lean towards commenting on Nomura.

I can confirm people are still mad about Versus, even if you point out that we rarely saw anything solid. Tabata is the devil westernizing Final Fantasy and making a generic hack and slash quick time event marathon and the plot will be bad and blah blah blah.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair Tabata directed The Third Birthday and thus is in fact the sickness that pollutes mankind and personally responsible for the world's evil.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair Tabata directed The Third Birthday and thus is in fact the sickness that pollutes mankind and personally responsible for the world's evil.

Does that mean we have to get a child to go back in time and steal his body at his wedding so the new not-Tabata can kill the not-child?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Does that mean we have to get a child to go back in time and steal his body at his wedding so the new not-Tabata can kill the not-child?

Yes. And that child was named Tetsuya Nomura!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

They occur simultaneously and separately, so you can go either way. The anime's probably better though, if that influences you.

ok thanks. I watched the anime and enjoyed that it moved quickly and basically established the cast as all likable anime hunks since final fantasy's typical anime hunks are usually wack

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

DS: We’re just three months from the goal. It’s been a long journey, but the pieces are finally falling in place. Yet some of the responses online to the delay have been a bit extreme. How are you feeling?

(...)

The person who was really, really angry at the situation was my daughter (laughs). She assumed that the release of the game meant going on a trip somewhere, or getting more time with her dad, and she was very upset for the fact that it’s going to have to wait two more months. Surely that’s the same for a lot of the developers on our team, and I am very sorry about that as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Clarification on what tabata meant by the first half being open world and the 2nd half being linear:

quote:

DS: You mentioned that the first part of the game is open world, while the second part tightens on a more story-driven narrative, built around a train ride. During that second part, can we still go back and explore the open world, or we’re bound to the linear path until the end? I remember that we’ll get the flying Regalia only towards the end of the game, so there has to be some room for roaming, isn’t it?

HT: To go back on the more linear part of the game… It actually transfers into that linear part of gameplay when the story ramps up and gets into its final stages. Rather than the latter half of the game, it’s very close to the end of the game, so to speak.

After the train segment, the whole structure of the game completely changes. You cannot go back and forth on the world map between the two parts. That said, there is gonna be a menu function that allows you to access the earlier areas that you roamed around in the earlier parts of the game.

Once you’re done with the train segment, it’s not yet the end of the game. There is still another set of events that awaits you. I can’t tell you what it’s going to be, but it drastically changes up [the game].

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Terper posted:

Liquor leads to good decisions.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Has anyone said how long they expect the game to be?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Has anyone said how long they expect the game to be?

Last official word was about 50 hours for the main campaign, not taking any sidequests into effect.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Tae posted:

Last official word was about 50 hours for the main campaign, not taking any sidequests into effect.

Cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Liquor leads to good decisions.

I want this man to be my sensei and teach me how to make video games while drunk off my rear end.

• Locked thread