Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Feldegast42 posted:

You know people keep going on about this magical oppo file that will nuke Trump off the map but how true is that? Trump has been a public figure that has been openly campaigning for a year and a half now. He was a public figure BEFORE he ran for president. The press has (incompetently) scrutinized him. Bloggers have gone over all his skeletons. What out there hasn't been touched that only Clinton's campaign would have access to?

Well, as the Democratic candidate she'd have gobs of connections that we wouldn't. Even if somehow you or I were at the same political shindig event as Clinton or one of her Wall Street or DC buddies (or just someone with some juicy info) they woudn't be walking up to us or one of our staffers going "Psst, hey got some real dirt on Trump..." A lot of people will want to make sure Hillary's arsenal is well stocked out of spite, or trying to earn favors with the Clintons, or simply because they don't want to take any chance an anthropomorphic orange becomes the most powerful fruit in the world.

There's also the fact that unlike you or I Clinton is a lawyer herself, and has a staff of lawyers and accountants to dig through mountains of data and legalese for niggling details to pick at until stuff starts to unravel.

Trump has a slime trail of poo poo a mile wide and 40+ years long. You bet there's a giant oppo file on Trump. Weather or not it will do more damage than using the stuff Trump gives for free remains to be seen, the stuff he shouts daily is comically effective at torpedoing his own chances, but expect to see some interesting stuff during the debates and in the final weeks leading to the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Petr posted:

Oh this? This is just a globalist star! Who's the real racist now?

Interesting avatar/post combo. :dogstare:

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I posted this earlier: it's Donald loving Trump. I'd be surprised if one of the countless skeletons in his closet wasn't a hooker. Dude won't even release his tax returns.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

Feldegast42 posted:

Silent Majority

What the gently caress, why are people talking about the silent majority (in caps lol) and triangulation in 2016?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

vseslav.botkin posted:

Didn't an oppo file get dumped with the DNC hack? No big shockers in that as I recall.

That file was clearly not the complete report and was basically the "trump dirty facts cheat sheet" with citations on all the regular horrible poo poo we have already heard.

But remember Trump denied Black renters housing in violation of federal law, Clinton brought the up and the media ignores it while praising Trump for visiting a Black church.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Petr posted:

What the gently caress, why are people talking about the silent majority (in caps lol) and triangulation in 2016?

Trump resurrected it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Petr posted:

Because Bill Clinton circa 1994 and Hillary Clinton circa 2016 are literally the same person doing the same things regardless of context or anything else.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DemeaninDemon posted:

I posted this earlier: it's Donald loving Trump. I'd be surprised if one of the countless skeletons in his closet wasn't a hooker. Dude won't even release his tax returns.

Donald doesn't strike me as the hooker type, he prefers the slightly more indirect method of just finding a gorgeous woman and buying her poo poo until she fucks him.

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003
Wouldn't be shocked to see the oppo research get used at the debates more than anything. Trump "debates" by word salami and using his witty monikers and Hillary can just throw something back at him. Since Trump has Kanye levels of self control, he'll get all pissed off and yell about things and derail himself.

At least that assumes the Clinton camp is as shrewd/prudent as one would hope. The media is desperate for a horse race narrative that Trump has already won the debate, but it makes it a hell of a lot more difficult to claim he won when your soundbites are a doddering old man yelling his "best words" being an odd skin color combination of red and orange

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Sir Tonk posted:

Having Mark Cuban and Bloomberg out there clowning on Trump's wealth has been surprisingly effective at pissing him off. I'd certainly be all for more billionaires calling Trump a piece of poo poo poor.

Clinton doesn't need to say a thing about it, though.
Mark Cuban must near the top, or at the top, of Donald Trump's poo poo list. He is in a lot of ways what Donald Trump likes to pretend he is (good at business, self-made as Republicans typically define it, etc), and is taken more seriously than he can ever hope to be by the Serious People Donald Trump has had a hate-crush on for his entire life. I want to watch the reality show where Mark Cuban and Donald Trump are forced to live together for three months.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Feldegast42 posted:

You know people keep going on about this magical oppo file that will nuke Trump off the map but how true is that?

The oppo file just reads "He is literally Donald Trump lmao"

It's all they need.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Yinlock posted:

The oppo file just reads "He is literally Donald Trump lmao"

It's all they need.
It's all they've used so far, and he is steadily chipping away at her lead.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
What do some of y'all think about the chances of Gary Johnson siphoning off more votes than usual for a third party candidate?

Out of all the demographics he could be competing for with Clinton, I'm guessing that the white college-educated vote up for grabs is most vulnerable since those people seem most susceptible to the "deregulate everything" nonsense Johnson peddles over Jill Stein,

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

WampaLord posted:

Donald doesn't strike me as the hooker type, he prefers the slightly more indirect method of just finding a gorgeous woman and buying her poo poo until she fucks him.

I'm waiting for one of his fashion model imports to come forward with a sex scandal

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Kilroy posted:

Yes, her crushing, almost-400-electoral-vote lead.

Here's a map of the states a party has won for the last five election cycles in a row. Republicans require just short of a landslide just to squeak out a win. Trump can't achieve results like that.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kilroy posted:

Also steadily chipping away at any progress he ever makes

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Actually Clinton has brought up a ton of oppo research poo poo, just no one in the media cares to hold Trump to account for any of it.

They brought up the small businesses he stole from, the history of housing discrimination, the failed businesses, the fraudulent "university", his refusal to distance himself from the Klan, his white supremist followers, his campaign's ties to Putin, his hateful statements about women and minorities, his past contradictory policy positions, the fact his campaign is staffed by the alt-right and that he has small hands.

What critical oppo research topic did they miss?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

fool_of_sound posted:

Here's a map of the states a party has won for the last five election cycles in a row. Republicans require just short of a landslide just to squeak out a win. Trump can't achieve results like that.

Iowa might go red but it's just as likely that Georgia goes blue. Everything else on that map is absolutely solid.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Yeah, she's almost certain to win, good on ya'll continuing to point that out.

It's better for America and especially people in America who aren't white, if Donald Trump's candidacy ends in a "dustbin of history" blowout that liberals can throw at conservatives like a loving pie to the face for the next few decades, like Reagan / Mondale. It's not enough that she holds on to her lead and wins with EVs in the low 300s.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilroy posted:

No he isn't.

It's really tiring people say this. Trump has no gained any significant support in quite some time. Any loss Clinton has is not going to Trump. It's going to a third party or undecided.

If Trump starts to gain, actually gain, then it is significant. As it stands Clinton's point-losing appears to be more her own issue, not people flocking to Donald Trump. (Or more likely it's a bounce receding.)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It's hilarious to see him rail against the media because they are basically the only thing keeping the bastard alive.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

DemeaninDemon posted:

Pence just went off the reservation and claimed he will: https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...d06c_story.html

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kobayashi posted:

I really hope people aren't pinning their hopes on "opposition research" outdoing a weeklong feud with a gold star family, or the fact that a literal pay-to-play scheme completely failed to resonate. Trump will be Trump's own destruction. Clinton can fan flames and perhaps bait him into doing something stupid, but there is absolutely nothing her campaign can dig up that will alter the narrative of the campaign.

Yeah for real, all she has to do is what she did for the alt-right speech. Bring it all up together and remind people of how much bullshit he's pulled off in just the past year.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Kilroy posted:

Mark Cuban must near the top, or at the top, of Donald Trump's poo poo list. He is in a lot of ways what Donald Trump likes to pretend he is (good at business, self-made as Republicans typically define it, etc), and is taken more seriously than he can ever hope to be by the Serious People Donald Trump has had a hate-crush on for his entire life. I want to watch the reality show where Mark Cuban and Donald Trump are forced to live together for three months.

It's too bad Schwarzenegger took over The Apprentice and not Cuban.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Actually Clinton has brought up a ton of oppo research poo poo, just no one in the media cares to hold Trump to account for any of it.

They brought up the small businesses he stole from, the history of housing discrimination, the failed businesses, the fraudulent "university", his refusal to distance himself from the Klan, his white supremist followers, his campaign's ties to Putin, his hateful statements about women and minorities, his past contradictory policy positions, the fact his campaign is staffed by the alt-right and that he has small hands.

What critical oppo research topic did they miss?
Basically all that stuff is pre-convention if not a lot earlier, and the media mostly doesn't give a poo poo because it's not "news" in the sense that there is nothing new to cover here. Anyone who cared to know, knew about the housing discrimination since the 90s, knew about his failed businesses since the first Bush administration, knew about the Trump U stuff since the GOP primary was still competitive, knew about his refusal to distance himself from the KKK when he refused to distance himself from the leader of the KKK back in January, knew Manafort was a Putin stooge and Trump has a weird crush on a Russian dictator, knew about his hateful statements since the first time he went on Howard Stern at least, and so on.

It's all awful stuff, but it's stuff we already knew and it's stuff his supporters knew before they voted for him. It doesn't demoralize them, by all indications. You want the media to just remind people of the same poo poo over and over until they get it, but that's not their job and anyway it makes for lovely TV. One thing the GOP has been really "good" at this election is constantly reheating the same poo poo fooling the media into thinking it's new poo poo that they can report on, e.g. emails. The Clinton campaign should be doing the same thing, like insinuating maybe David Duke's and Trumps ties go a little deeper than we thought because his cousin's boyfriend read My Awakening, or some reheated poo poo about Trump U, or oh hey look here is some new recordings of him on Howard Stern that we thought were lost (they were never lost), or get someone who was actually denied housing back in the 70s up there, and so on. You're not going to create a narrative by going "oh hey here's some stuff that happened, well, bye" because that relies on the media doing their loving job, but all the media is good for is getting your surrogates in front of a camera and printing your press releases. Maybe Hillary should act like she knows this.

Kilroy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 4, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Bernie, Bill, and Kaine are all going to be making speeches for Hillary this coming week. They've got Obama, Warren, and Hilldawg herself waiting in the wings. Hillary's campaign team knows what they are doing. Meanwhile Trump has yet to open a campaign office in North Carolina.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I'm sure Clinton has tons of oppo research on Trump but it doesn't really matter, and it doesn't need to. Trump's gaffes are so constant and outrageous that any oppo dumps would just get lost in the steady stream of "Trump did a thing". Clinton is better off running a positive campaign and letting Trump's campaign gaffes add up on their own.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

Basically all that stuff is pre-convention if not a lot earlier, and the media mostly doesn't give a poo poo because it's not "news" in the sense that there is nothing new to cover here. Anyone who cared to know, knew about the housing discrimination since the 90s, knew about his failed businesses since the first Bush administration, knew about the Trump U stuff since the GOP primary was still competitive, knew about his refusal to distance himself from the KKK when he refused to distance himself from the leader of the KKK back in January, knew Manafort was a Putin stooge and Trump has a weird crush on a Russian dictator, knew about his hateful statements since the first time he went on Howard Stern at least, and so on.

It's all awful stuff, but it's stuff we already knew and it's stuff his supporters knew before they voted for him. It doesn't demoralize them, by all indications. You want to media to just remind people of the same poo poo over and over until they get it, but that's not their job and anyway it makes for lovely TV. One thing the GOP has been really "good" at this election is constantly reheating the same poo poo fooling the media into thinking it's new poo poo that they can report on, e.g. emails. The Clinton campaign should be doing the same thing, like insinuating maybe David Duke's and Trumps ties go a little deeper than we thought because his cousin's boyfriend read My Awakening, or some reheated poo poo about Trump U, or oh hey look here is some new recordings of him on Howard Stern that we thought were lost (they were never lost), or get someone who was actually denied housing back in the 70s up there, and so on. You're not going to create a narrative by going "oh hey here's some stuff that happened, well, bye" because that relies on the media doing their loving job, but all the media is good for is getting your surrogates in front of a camera and printing your press releases. Maybe Hillary should act like she knows this.

The Clinton campaign has been doing exactly what you think they should start doing. The problem is that is doesn't get the media coverage you think it would.

They've gotten the literal business owners who Trump shorted to talk about it and all it got was crickets. They got new recordings of Trump saying sexist poo poo on tape, crickets. When they tried to push the " manaford is linked to the Russians story" the medi did react, by calling it fearmongering from the Clinton camp.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I'd also say that Clinton's ads have been quite good. That one with people reading Breitbart headlines was terrific.

It forces straight ticket voters to own up to their implied Trump support and might actually drive down turnout for the top of the ticket. I'm not convinced that it'll fully depress House/Senate votes for the GOP, but it certainly is doing its job of shaming habitual GOP voters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WampaLord posted:

Trump's more the "I'm going to gently caress this underaged model and threaten to murder her family if she speaks out" kinda guy IMO.

Kilroy posted:

No he isn't. Her support's dropping back down but he's still running face-first in to the same support ceiling he's always had. Maybe if he kept attacking the Kahns and other military families until November Clinton would've kept an 8-10 point lead but without nuclear fuckups like that she's still held back by people buying decades of propaganda.

fool_of_sound posted:

The fun thing with this map is that VA is next to impossible for Trump to win. It was trending towards Clinton already and Tim Kaine is going to easily give her another 1-2 points there. The odds she doesn't take OH or FL (or both) is lower than Trump winning North Carolina at this point.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The fun thing with this map is that VA is next to impossible for Trump to win. It was trending towards Clinton already and Tim Kaine is going to easily give her another 1-2 points there. The odds she doesn't take OH or FL (or both) is lower than Trump winning North Carolina at this point.

Also going back five elections doesn't reflect the new reality that states like Colorado and New Mexico are pretty much Dem locks by this point, to the degree that they barely even get polled because polls show Clinton up by ~10 points. Take that map, put Virginia, Colorado, and New Mexico in the blue pile, and Clinton has already won without even needing any of the real swing states.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I think having a period of double-digit leads have spoiled us, though I hope Hillary supporters don't rest on their laurels here.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sir Tonk posted:

I'd also say that Clinton's ads have been quite good. That one with people reading Breitbart headlines was terrific.

It forces straight ticket voters to own up to their implied Trump support and might actually drive down turnout for the top of the ticket. I'm not convinced that it'll fully depress House/Senate votes for the GOP, but it certainly is doing its job of shaming habitual GOP voters.

I still want them to remake Daisy since they already did confessions of a republican

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obama would have killed to have this much of a lead in the first week of September.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

iospace posted:

I think having a period of double-digit leads have spoiled us, though I hope Hillary supporters don't rest on their laurels here.

It's this.

Hillary unfortunately won't win a huge landslide victory because of both increased polarization and the simple fact that Republicans by and large won the narrative war for the last forty years.

That Hillary loving Clinton is doing as well as she is, is a testament to how much better organized Democratic campaigning has gotten thanks to Obama. There's a lot of structural and demographic hurdles to overcome in this particular election for Dems, even if in the future it will be easier.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Trabisnikof posted:

I still want them to remake Daisy since they already did confessions of a republican

Look up the kids watching TV ad. It's close.

Lightning Knight posted:

It's this.

Hillary unfortunately won't win a huge landslide victory because of both increased polarization and the simple fact that Republicans by and large won the narrative war for the last forty years.

That Hillary loving Clinton is doing as well as she is, is a testament to how much better organized Democratic campaigning has gotten thanks to Obama. There's a lot of structural and demographic hurdles to overcome in this particular election for Dems, even if in the future it will be easier.

I can potentially see a PV landslide, but We'll probably end up with Obama 2012 with NC flipping because of their governor pissing off the democrats something fierce.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

iospace posted:

Look up the kids watching TV ad. It's close.

I can potentially see a PV landslide, but We'll probably end up with Obama 2012 with NC flipping because of their governor pissing off the democrats something fierce.

Obama 12+NC is a landslide still.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

I still have hope/thoughts that a landslide might be achieved. I think the debates will give her a significant bump, even if the media narrative after the first one is "Trump didn't poo poo himself or call her a bitch, it's a tie!" There are three debates, and by the time the third one is done, there will be a shitload of clips of Trump getting owned or him saying poo poo that is unbelievably stupid/awful.

I also think third party support will dry up as election day looms and people realize "Oh poo poo, this really is an election with consequences and not just a way for me to claim to be a smarter person by voting third party" as it has in every recent previous election.

And finally, Trump underperformed his polling in the primary. I expect that underperformance to be even larger in the general due to the absolute lack of ground game.

I think she wins every Obama 2012 state, plus NC, possibly AZ and GA as well.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

DemeaninDemon posted:

Obama 12+NC is a landslide still.

Fine, we won't be seeing a 1988 level of landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

iospace posted:

Fine, we won't be seeing a 1988 level of landslide.

I don't think an 84/88 level EC landslide is even possible anymore. Like the second coming of Christ would have trouble breaking 400 EVs vs resurrected Literal Hitler.

Both because of polarization and because the media would spend more time talking about Jesus' emails than the Holocaust.

• Locked thread