Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Virigoth posted:

"Is mah snowflake ok? Are the Muslims attacking? Blame Obama Vote Trump" - angry parent

"Ahm gunna sue the school for makin' me worry about mah little Jim-Bob Jr!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Larches you should send another robocall apologizing for it having the wrong outbound number and give the new one.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Virigoth posted:

Larches you should send another robocall apologizing for it having the wrong outbound number and give the new one.

I'll set it for the director's cell phone and just never show up again

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Virigoth posted:

Make sure you then send a third robocall apologizing for the large amount of calls.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

larchesdanrew posted:

I'll set it for the director's cell phone and just never show up again

Don't you still have the Chief Engineer's cell number?

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

larchesdanrew posted:

:shepicide: WELP I DUN GOOFED Y'ALL :shepicide:

I am currently hiding from the entire academic office staff because they're sharpening their pitchforks and oiling up the torches.

Our emergency contact robocall system was in dire need of cleaning up, so I decided to burn it to the earth and start from scratch. Finagled a few .csv files and imported them and it wasn't more than an hour before I had a nice, clean, freshly created and organized system. Part of the setup process is setting up a text messaging opt-in call, so I scheduled it run from 2-5 and let it go.

Suddenly, I am being assaulted by texts and emails from the principal. Why will her phone not quit ringing? Why are parents calling her and asking why she called them? What the hell am I doing over here?

Whoopsie. When the system was set up, her office number was used as the outgoing number. So now hundreds of parents are receiving calls from her office and wondering why the school is calling them and what's wrong with their child. They are being inundated with calls from concerned, annoyed, and downright angry parents.

CYA mode has been engaged. I simply forwarded her the email exchange between the director and I where I warned him if I cleaned the system that everyone would receive an opt-in call and he said that was a good thing and to go ahead and do it.

Now I'm chilling in the server room refocusing security cameras until it's time to go home.

:glomp: It sucks when you're taking the initiative to improve something only to see it blowback on you. Just remember not to go full-scale in production without testing next time, boy have I been there.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Virigoth posted:

We apologise again for the fault in the phone system. Those responsible for robocalling the people who have just been robocalled have been robocalled.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ghostlight posted:

You either die a technician or live long enough to see yourself become chief engineer.

That's pmuch how my boss became CTO. Waited everyone out and backstabbed the rest.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

MF_James posted:

Our company is doing something similar right now!

I got a talking to when I only logged 5 hours for a day. I told them a few things:

I was terminated from my last job for only logging 5-8 hours of tickets a day, even though I was Tier 2 Support for both our end users and our on-campus DCs and didn't have a ticket load that justified 8+ hours of tickets a day. We sat through multiple meetings where they told me it was unacceptable that I wasn't making my metrics, and then they turned around and told me they knew I didn't get 8 hours of tickets a day and had non-ticket infrastructure work to do every day but that I could "grow" my tickets to cover it, ignoring that I was already doing that (and changing resolution dates) just to get to 5-8 hours a day. The other people on my team (most of whom had no non-ticketed work to do) were hitting 10-12 hours of tickets a day and that's the standard I was apparently supposed to be held to. Those coworkers would also take on-the-clock AFK coffee breaks sometimes multiple times a day, but still hit 10-12 hours every day. I guess I'm just not comfortable with that amount of lying.

As a side note, how should I qualify that termination in interviews if I'm asked? I went from $40k/yr 2nd Tier Support/Datacentter Management position to making less than $30k/yr supporting a 250-student Charter School because I took the first offer I got, but it's time to go looking again. What should I say if I'm asked?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Plastik posted:

I was terminated from my last job for only logging 5-8 hours of tickets a day, even though I was Tier 2 Support for both our end users and our on-campus DCs and didn't have a ticket load that justified 8+ hours of tickets a day. We sat through multiple meetings where they told me it was unacceptable that I wasn't making my metrics, and then they turned around and told me they knew I didn't get 8 hours of tickets a day and had non-ticket infrastructure work to do every day but that I could "grow" my tickets to cover it, ignoring that I was already doing that (and changing resolution dates) just to get to 5-8 hours a day. The other people on my team (most of whom had no non-ticketed work to do) were hitting 10-12 hours of tickets a day and that's the standard I was apparently supposed to be held to. Those coworkers would also take on-the-clock AFK coffee breaks sometimes multiple times a day, but still hit 10-12 hours every day. I guess I'm just not comfortable with that amount of lying.

As a side note, how should I qualify that termination in interviews if I'm asked? I went from $40k/yr 2nd Tier Support/Datacentter Management position to making less than $30k/yr supporting a 250-student Charter School because I took the first offer I got, but it's time to go looking again. What should I say if I'm asked?

"I put in 5-8 hours on work on tickets each day days I only had 5 I had accounted for infrastructure work and meetings which were not to be logged into the ticketing system. My co-workers were somehow putting 12 hours of ticket work into 8 hours of day and I was expected to also say I worked more than I did and I am uncomfortable lying to management"

Maybe put more of a spin on how this makes you trust worthy. Also its a logged system. Not being willing to lie could be seen as a negative if you are required to (employee being fired and you need to not lie about ETAs about a ticket they had that is getting dropped because they wont be around).

There were non billable (to customer) hours right? Sometimes you are supposed to round up to the nearest 15 30 full hour even for small things. Sometimes you bill other departments. Oh you needed a password reset? Full hour of work! It's completely possible to have 30 billable hours in a single day. It's possible you were expected to make the department money from other departments. But most likely it's just some metric junky and you were under 50% as productive.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

uPen posted:

Asked a user to take a screenshot of an intermittent error she couldn't describe, was handed this.

She printed them out from the photo machine at Kinko's.

Frame it and keep it on your desk.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
At another job I kept, I had to keep time (In an AS400 system no less! :suicide:) down to the 5 minute increment, and all of it was expected to be billable. Except that the tasks they had me doing were by contract specified to not be billable to the client at all.

Better yet, the system was how I was actually paid, so I couldn't extend hours outside of my actual punches, but I was told that "Any OT you want to do is fine, as long as it is billable to at least one client"

They lost their two major clients soon after this and fired about 120 people (out of like 200 total, guess who stayed?). v:v:v

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I was promoted to IT Manager for Alcatel IND in the late 90s and they expected every person on my team(31 people total, 11 direct reports across 11 offices) to submit their "daily accomplishments" in 15 minute increments throughout the work day via an Excel spreadsheet the following morning by 9:15am. These spreadsheets were to be collected by me and I was to 'validate the authenticity' of the work being done in yet another spreadsheet (There was a complex system where I was supposed to rate my confidence in the work, et al) and submit my spreadsheet, by 11am, to my boss in Plano Texas at the main Alcatel IND headquarters.

I did not last long as an IT manager for Alcatel IND.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

pixaal posted:

Not being willing to lie could be seen as a negative if you are required to

I'm not unwilling to lie, I just didn't like going back and fluffing my ticketed hours out at the end of the day after they were already much more than was honest.

pixaal posted:

There were non billable (to customer) hours right? Sometimes you are supposed to round up to the nearest 15 30 full hour even for small things. Sometimes you bill other departments. Oh you needed a password reset? Full hour of work! It's completely possible to have 30 billable hours in a single day. It's possible you were expected to make the department money from other departments. But most likely it's just some metric junky and you were under 50% as productive.

It was a large American University. We kind of "billed" other departments, but it was more that we accumulated metrics and at the end of the year we pointed to obscene numbers and demanded portions of other departments' budgets in addition to our own actual budget and the services we actually billed for. It... didn't work well. From what I understand we often got nothing. Either way, most of my service was internal-external (same department, different group) which had no monetization of any sort attached to it. Racking, unracking, installing RAM and hard drives, checking SMART characteristics.

And yes, our ticketing went in 30 minute increments, and 30 minutes was the minimum. When I started they had me doing monthly manual Windows Updates and I'd be able to close 200-300 hours of tickets in a day. They were upset about that too, not my productivity but the number of hours of tickets I logged. Apparently the previous guy they had doing it didn't know about Remote Desktop Manager and could only do two or three at a time. I commandeered a (unused, tiny) conference room with a high-resolution digital whiteboard and did ~50 at a time and could close out all the tickets in one day as a result. Maybe they were surprised by the "drop" in my productivity when they handed off Windows Updates to the next new person that came in (it was pretty much the Intro To Our Team task) but i worked there two and a half years and didn't start getting in trouble for tickets until my last six months..

There's a lot of drama involved with that job. I was fired for a number of reasons and they excused it this way. But I'm not interested in why I got fired. I know why I got fired. It was the ticket thing on paper, and the ticket thing and a bunch of other bullshit drama in reality. I'm interested in other peoples' ideas on how to spin it to potential employers.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Plastik posted:

I'm interested in other peoples' ideas on how to spin it to potential employers.

Plastik posted:

I'm not unwilling to lie,

Good, because now you can lie and say that you were uncomfortable with lying. If that's the termination reason telling prospective employers you were unwilling to cheat before is a fine reasoning. This helps you two-fold, as it's a decent litmus for the work environment. Legit employers will view it positively and the employers looking to cook their SLA books will react cooly and you can walk out and save yourself time and frustration in a toxic workplace.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Plastik posted:

I'm not unwilling to lie, I just didn't like going back and fluffing my ticketed hours out at the end of the day after they were already much more than was honest.

It was a large American University. We kind of "billed" other departments, but it was more that we accumulated metrics and at the end of the year we pointed to obscene numbers and demanded portions of other departments' budgets in addition to our own actual budget and the services we actually billed for. It... didn't work well. From what I understand we often got nothing. Either way, most of my service was internal-external (same department, different group) which had no monetization of any sort attached to it. Racking, unracking, installing RAM and hard drives, checking SMART characteristics.

And yes, our ticketing went in 30 minute increments, and 30 minutes was the minimum. When I started they had me doing monthly manual Windows Updates and I'd be able to close 200-300 hours of tickets in a day. They were upset about that too, not my productivity but the number of hours of tickets I logged. Apparently the previous guy they had doing it didn't know about Remote Desktop Manager and could only do two or three at a time. I commandeered a (unused, tiny) conference room with a high-resolution digital whiteboard and did ~50 at a time and could close out all the tickets in one day as a result. Maybe they were surprised by the "drop" in my productivity when they handed off Windows Updates to the next new person that came in (it was pretty much the Intro To Our Team task) but i worked there two and a half years and didn't start getting in trouble for tickets until my last six months..

There's a lot of drama involved with that job. I was fired for a number of reasons and they excused it this way. But I'm not interested in why I got fired. I know why I got fired. It was the ticket thing on paper, and the ticket thing and a bunch of other bullshit drama in reality. I'm interested in other peoples' ideas on how to spin it to potential employers.

No WSUS for a large university sounds like hell to me. :(

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Mo_Steel posted:

No WSUS for a large university sounds like hell to me. :(

We had WSUS, but we had ~500 servers that had to be manually patched. For reasons. Some of them were clustered, so that made sense that you wouldn't want them downed simultaneously, but some of them were just piddly unimportant servers for internal department use. Very few had instructions for verifying they were working post-patch, I was really just supposed to make sure they booted back into Windows.

This is currently the largest university in the country by some metrics.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Plastik posted:

Once you're face to face with an actual interviewer and assuming they're not a massive asshat, they would probably level with you if you explained your efforts to optimize things. If it backfires and they don't understand the downfall of manually updating hundreds of computers by hand, well then you know where you stand.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Plastik posted:

We had WSUS, but we had ~500 servers that had to be manually patched. For reasons. Some of them were clustered, so that made sense that you wouldn't want them downed simultaneously, but some of them were just piddly unimportant servers for internal department use. Very few had instructions for verifying they were working post-patch, I was really just supposed to make sure they booted back into Windows.

This is currently the largest university in the country by some metrics.

Whoops!

milk milk lemonade fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Sep 3, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Let's please not play that game. If he'd wanted to say what school it was he'd have done so already.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

As Stubbly said, I'd rather not out them directly. It's not a bad school, they just manage and staff their IT department like it's a school of 10,000 despite being a school of 70,000+ students+staff.

On the other hand, though, if you don't know what signs you're looking for it might be possible for someone in this thread to accept a job there. While the stories would be great (like the time a few thousand gallons of water dumped on the battery backup for the whole building and the tape library) I'd still hate for anyone here to be an unhappy computer fixer.

Shit Fuckasaurus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 3, 2016

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Sorry, edited the school name. I recently looked at a posting that a nearby university and the job posting was some serious what the gently caress level bullshit. Like, someone should have been embarrassed to post what they even needed because it was insane.

Made me think of your post when I saw it.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Universities are a good source of hilarious moon and the stars requirements for IT job postings. Every single one I see for our t1 helpdesk wants A+, Net+ (fine), bachelor's, and 5 years experience in addition to half a page of specific technology knowledges for a 30k position.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

AlternateAccount posted:

"Hello, welcome to our company. We have spent a lot of effort hiring you and we expect you to be a professional and do the work we pay you to do without micromanagement and oppressive oversight. If it turns out you can't do that, we'll just cut you lose. This isn't a day care."

Why isn't this the standard? :[

I actually asked something similar in gbs as a drunk post and outside the usual bullshit answers a lot of supervisor types came back with sadly the majority of people are lazy, stupid, or sneaky and need an actual adult to sit there over their shoulder to keep them on task. I'm kinda still shocked myself.

In lovely ISP themed comments: my gf has been having no dial tone at home for a month and barely functional dsl. They've been out three times trying to fix it and the last time the guy said the wiring in the house must be bad.

I crack the box open and plug at phone into the test port and no dial tone. How they even got that far and determined it was the house wiring tells me they didn't do poo poo. I started checking connections and found the surge protector had taken a hit I guess as part of the metal blade that clips the wire was blackened and partly missing. Soon as i tugged the wire it popped out.

Bypassing that what do you know everything is back to normal. Least now she can tell them to just bring a new part and be done with it.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Boogalo posted:

Universities are a good source of hilarious moon and the stars requirements for IT job postings. Every single one I see for our t1 helpdesk wants A+, Net+ (fine), bachelor's, and 5 years experience in addition to half a page of specific technology knowledges for a 30k position.

I have a coworker in the same role as myself who isn't even t1 helpdesk skillset. The "I use IE and not chrome/I don't know window + L for locking / is a clicker/zero retention / computers are magic" guy who also has major body odor and makes homer simpson in a mumu look thin.

I wouldn't even pay this guy 30 grand, let alone the presumably 70+ he's getting paid to be this retarded.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
Oh god I do not miss my time working at a university. I had two colleagues who were lovingly referred to as dumbo and gumbo

It took them about 2 days to install Windows remote admin toolkit on a single pc. The only thing they were good for was humping hardware across campus and even then they'd go missing every so often.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

LethalGeek posted:

I actually asked something similar in gbs as a drunk post and outside the usual bullshit answers a lot of supervisor types came back with sadly the majority of people are lazy, stupid, or sneaky and need an actual adult to sit there over their shoulder to keep them on task. I'm kinda still shocked myself.

In lovely ISP themed comments: my gf has been having no dial tone at home for a month and barely functional dsl. They've been out three times trying to fix it and the last time the guy said the wiring in the house must be bad.

I crack the box open and plug at phone into the test port and no dial tone. How they even got that far and determined it was the house wiring tells me they didn't do poo poo. I started checking connections and found the surge protector had taken a hit I guess as part of the metal blade that clips the wire was blackened and partly missing. Soon as i tugged the wire it popped out.

Bypassing that what do you know everything is back to normal. Least now she can tell them to just bring a new part and be done with it.

I no longer manage because of that line right there. I don't want to hear whatever your latest lame loving excuse is for not being at work on time, not doing your job, not being able to do your job. I can't loving do it any more.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I have a coworker in the same role as myself who isn't even t1 helpdesk skillset. The "I use IE and not chrome/I don't know window + L for locking / is a clicker/zero retention / computers are magic" guy who also has major body odor and makes homer simpson in a mumu look thin.

I wouldn't even pay this guy 30 grand, let alone the presumably 70+ he's getting paid to be this retarded.

Hell, I would be that retarded for 55 tops. However, afraid my regular showering would prolly keep me from getting the job.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Samizdata posted:

Hell, I would be that retarded for 55 tops. However, afraid my regular showering would prolly keep me from getting the job.

Just spray yourself with Axe. Your interviewer won't know the difference. :v:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How do we feel about Firefox? :ohdear:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How do we feel about Firefox? :ohdear:

People at work actually sometimes make fun of me for using Firefox over chrome, but I still have too many bad memories of how bad Chrome was originally after it was supposed to be this new awesome thing(that would suck up your entire CPU whenever it felt like it) to use it naturally.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I use Firefox at work because some of my tools only work on Firefox.

I also use Chrome at work, because some of my tools only work on Chrome.

...I also use Internet Explorer at work, because some of my tools only work in IE.

Surprise, they're all internally developed Java web apps!

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:toot:

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 21, 2017

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Renegret posted:

I use Firefox at work because some of my tools only work on Firefox.

I also use Chrome at work, because some of my tools only work on Chrome.

...I also use Internet Explorer at work, because some of my tools only work in IE.

Surprise, they're all internally developed Java web apps!

Living the platform-independence dream.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Welp, time to start firing out the ol' resume every whichway.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

DigitalMocking posted:

I no longer manage because of that line right there. I don't want to hear whatever your latest lame loving excuse is for not being at work on time, not doing your job, not being able to do your job. I can't loving do it any more.

I'm okay managing as long as I can handle hiring/firing. If there's one thing I learned supervising at a call center it's how to fire people.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

larchesdanrew posted:

... in anticipation or direct reaction?

gently caress.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

larchesdanrew posted:

saw this one coming, what did you do to anger the superintendent

(or.... is your school getting closed?)

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Probably because his idea of CYA is to throw his director under the bus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Fudge posted:

Probably because his idea of CYA is to throw his director under the bus

I think we've all had CYA e-mails that consisted of "higher up and/or client said do this with my concerns outlined". In fact I have one sitting in my starred items right now.

Hopefully I won't have to use it.

• Locked thread