Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Squizzle posted:

GISing vampirella redesign turns up some decent ideas.

This one is :krad: because it splits the difference between "sexy", "comics-functional", and "vampiric." The short-cloak aspect screams "vampire" while being vaguely reminiscent of a hero cape/duster, and the red/white color screams "atypical."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

Costume designs don't need to be drawn particularly well.
I don't know. An artist can make a costume work when it otherwise doesn't. I think the most recent Batman costume literally only works when Capullo draws it.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mind the walrus posted:

This one is :krad: because it splits the difference between "sexy", "comics-functional", and "vampiric." The short-cloak aspect screams "vampire" while being vaguely reminiscent of a hero cape/duster, and the red/white color screams "atypical."

I do actually like it yeah, I didn't give it enough credit because the style disagrees with me but it's a good design imo.

e: Also it has crotchbat.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Its vampire Zatanna

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Did Vampirella and Elvira ever meet

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Chance II posted:

Its vampire Zatanna

I fail to see how this is a negative.

Lurdiak posted:

Did Vampirella and Elvira ever meet

I imagine all big-breasted goth women hold a secret conference once a year to share fashion tips and sacrifice their worst fan to a dark fertility goddess

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

I fail to see how this is a negative.

I imagine all big-breasted goth women hold a secret conference once a year to share fashion tips and sacrifice their worst fan to a dark fertility goddess

Larkin Love was their keynote speaker.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Simone and Bennet, if anything, made her MORE like Conan by ditching the 'will bed no one who cannot best me with the sword' bullshit.

She also got rid of the "being raped gave her super powers" bullshit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

She also got rid of the "being raped gave her super powers" bullshit.

I've rarely felt more embarrassed of my hobby than when I was going through Savage Sword of Conan back issues and people in the letters section were writing in tons and tons of praise for the story that (re?)retconned Sonja's origin to involve a violent rape that gave her superpowers.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

WickedHate posted:

But then you might as well just make a new character all together.

You have to explain why this is a bad idea. Red Sonja is so full of dumb bullshit that the best idea is to burn it to the ground and construct something new out of the ashes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

As long as the words "brand recognition" exist, that will never happen.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

mind the walrus posted:

As long as the words "brand recognition" exist, that will never happen.

Arguably it happened when Gail SImone took over Red Sonja, the only thing she didn't ditch was the costume and the name Red Sonja.

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

e: buttposting

lost in postation fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 4, 2016

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Red Sonja has superpowers?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

qntm posted:

To be perfectly honest, you could tell me anything about Red Sonja and I'd believe you. Something about that poo poo scares me away.

I've considered buying Sailor Moon action figures, but never a Red Sonja comic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Arguably it happened when Gail SImone took over Red Sonja, the only thing she didn't ditch was the costume and the name Red Sonja.

Which I agree was awesome, but there's a reason they kept the costume and name--those are what constitute 99% of her brand recognition.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Or maybe just 'Wardrobe Malfunction'.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

A step up is a step up:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mind the walrus posted:

A step up is a step up:

I like how the cosplay shows that while technically the costume is something a woman could wear while following the letter of most public indecency laws, it could only be worn by someone with very different proportions than Vampirella is drawn.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It looks like you'd be frozen as gently caress in that. Just looking at that last image makes me have winter flashbacks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

WickedHate posted:

It looks like you'd be frozen as gently caress in that. Just looking at that last image makes me have winter flashbacks.

If that was taken at San Diego Comic Con she probably takes the cape off whenever she's outside.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/50cent/status/772277070919532544
https://twitter.com/50cent/status/772330616910143488
https://twitter.com/50cent/status/772311551105572864

:)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 5, 2016

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

He wears it pretty well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

qntm posted:

Being able to fight almost as well as Conan is considered a magical gift in that version of her story.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Weirdly, Howard never invented Red Sonya, but he did write another female sword bearer who was way more progressive and downright feminist by the standards of the time(Dark Agnes). People should just use her, but...brand recognition...

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

WickedHate posted:

Weirdly, Howard never invented Red Sonya, but he did write another female sword bearer who was way more progressive and downright feminist by the standards of the time(Dark Agnes). People should just use her, but...brand recognition...

Also, "Agnes" is an old-woman name.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

A step up is a step up:

Oh hey thats my dad's comic collection.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

prefect posted:

Also, "Agnes" is an old-woman name.

Yeah it baffles me anyone ever called a young woman "Agnes" with a straight face. That name mandates the ability to draw social security by default. That's a name I don't think will ever loop back around to regular use.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah it baffles me anyone ever called a young woman "Agnes" with a straight face. That name mandates the ability to draw social security by default. That's a name I don't think will ever loop back around to regular use.

Gladys, Pearl, Emma and Ezekiel are also names that surprise me still exist

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Pearl is going to come back thanks to Stephan University but I agree it's an old lady name. I never thought of Emma as old as much as achingly WASP-y (Emma Frost, if nothing else). Ezekiel is biblical with a unique cadence so there will always be some goober who thinks it'll make their kid cooler without actually needing to be edgy.

Gladys though... Yeah aside from Gladys the Groovy Mule I can't remember the last time it was used as a name for someone born after World War 2

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Emma Stone and Emma Watson will make sure that name will not go away for a long time.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I was going to say Gladys Knight, but on a double check she was born during it.

E: Also, Agnes is actually still a really popular name, it's just in stealth mode hiding in Europe as Ines.

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 5, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's pronounced totally differently.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Vowels tend to drift, and the g used to be silent.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Well, the comics Sonja is an amalgam of that character and another Howard character from an unrelated story set in like the 17th century.

And yes, the original origin was her village gets razed, she got raped, and in her despair, prays for vengeance and sees a vision of a goddess blessing her with the strength to get her own revenge, with the caveat that she'll lose it if she ever gives herself to a man who has not beaten her in combat. To be fair, Roy Thomas hammered in the possibility that it was literally her hallucinating and she just was naturally awesome at fighting. But she's basically a one-woman army, so super-powers in the Captain America sense.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

Vowels tend to drift, and the g used to be silent.

So then... Ana or Anya?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

ānəs

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Somewhere in the corporate offices of Warner Entertainment Group, an executive is having a panic attack and he doesn't know why.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

50 cent rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The 50 Cent Man is a massive saving over the Caucasian version. That's a discount of $5 999 999.50

• Locked thread