Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
All I can imagine is a young Tim Burton beating him up for his lunch money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
I gonna hire a film crew to follow me around in a fuzzy hat, goggles, and pirate vest and pick up girls at the bars outside big clubs and raves and act like it's my innate charm at work and not all the cocktails and ecstasy.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

CharlestonJew posted:

With a dick pic (scaled up of course) on the back

in sepia tone

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

phasmid posted:

Negging is just the dumbest poo poo. Never met any actual PUAs, but I simply can't follow their reasoning.

"Oh man, she is totally out of my league! Wait a sec! If I make her feel like complete puketrash and destroy her entire day's worth of self esteem and pride, she won't care about herself at all anymore and I can swoop in and gently caress her!"

It's like, do you hear yourself, you slug-eating amphibian? You're actually insulting yourself, you despicable shitbrain.

Think of it in game terms. A 9 is going to have a much higher defense rating than a 6, but the 9 is worth much more XP. If you yourself are but a 5 on a good day, you need to cast debuffs on her in the form of a neg to bring down her defense to the level a 5 might have. You can't just insult her outright or you might activate her trap card (taser) so you have to cast a spell and hope you roll well.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Heath posted:

Think of it in game terms. A 9 is going to have a much higher defense rating than a 6, but the 9 is worth much more XP. If you yourself are but a 5 on a good day, you need to cast debuffs on her in the form of a neg to bring down her defense to the level a 5 might have. You can't just insult her outright or you might activate her trap card (taser) so you have to cast a spell and hope you roll well.
"Hey baby, you shower lately? 'Cause I got swampwalk." :smaug:

Divot
Dec 23, 2013
jfc I can't believe I read this whole drat thread just to end up looking at a pic of Mystery

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
At risk of defending "Mystery" and other old-school PUA dudes, the original point of that stuff was just to find ways to talk to girls and get dates. And honestly if that's all it was, I'd be all for it; talking to women can be overwhelming and it really is a "skill". As in, you have to work at it and you can objectively be good at it.

It's too bad it developed into a weird culture of toxic bullshit, because the concept of awkward dudes banding together and getting good at social practices is actually a neat idea.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The only part that squicks me out is that the context on how to get awkward dudes to talk to ladies is usually "clubs and bars," and going to cafes or bookstores. That is not to say that they should not practice those things, but it does seem to leave out the skill of talking to women in professional contexts without being a robot or a creep, as well as academic or casual hobby settings. It doesn't help that almost all the awkward guys want is to get their dick wet and hack their way to a girlfriend, so often the skill-building is designed around "get the phone number, get the kiss, get the makeout" and so on like a flowchart.

Source: watched that Mystery VH1 show back in the day.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Divot posted:

jfc I can't believe I read this whole drat thread just to end up looking at a pic of Mystery

It all comes back to the source.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I read some of that PUA stuff when I was 14-15 and dumb

the concept of negging is just that super attractive people aren't going to swoon at your 'wow you're so pretty' line because they hear that 20x a day probably anyway; the point is to give them kind of a flirty challenging line instead that they can go 'hey!' about and engage with you - preferably something not just about their looks

retards just can't understand subtlety and instead just think it means insult people and now that's what it has become i guess

Tumble posted:

At risk of defending "Mystery" and other old-school PUA dudes, the original point of that stuff was just to find ways to talk to girls and get dates. And honestly if that's all it was, I'd be all for it; talking to women can be overwhelming and it really is a "skill". As in, you have to work at it and you can objectively be good at it.

It's too bad it developed into a weird culture of toxic bullshit, because the concept of awkward dudes banding together and getting good at social practices is actually a neat idea.

yeah in my defense back in like 2005 it wasn't nearly this toxic and ridiculous

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 4, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i mean it makes some sense because if you go up to a model and say 'WOW YOU HAVE SUCH PRETTY EYES' like you just rolled out of the country haywagon on its way into town the answer is most likely going to be 'gently caress off'

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Just pretend the girl is one of your boyfriends

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pretty much

i always thought it was just intended to teach idiot nerds to not walk up to attractive people and go 'wow you're so pretty' like they are 6 years old or something but it doesn't surprise me that it has become 'just insult them to show them how kewl you are'

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Zzulu posted:

Just pretend the girl is one of your boyfriends

punch that bitch in the balls because she is hogging the playstation then, I'll try that

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
Dick Jorts private eye, at your service.

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
can girls be nice guys too

quote:

I was sitting next to Odell Beckham Jr., and it was so amazing because it was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards. He was like, "That's a marshmallow. That's a child. That's a dog." It wasn't mean — he just seemed confused.

The vibe was very much like, "Do I want to gently caress it? Is it wearing a … yep, it's wearing a tuxedo. I'm going to go back to my cell phone." It was like we were forced to be together, and he literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie. I was like, "This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the best part is that's probably what we was, correctly, thinking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Yeah, women don't owe it men to make themselves pretty. If you want to slick your hair down and wear an ill-fitting suit you can do that. But it's kind of ridiculous to then get upset that men don't treat you the same as the ladies in the sexy evening gowns.

Yep, that's a female nice guy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The man is not trying to get into my pants. How rude.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I mean really, do ladies think guys like learning how to converse with them, or treating their interests as something other than incidental to their value as sex objects, or bathe regularly so women will tolerate the musty smell of their scrotum?

I mean you could not do those things, but then you'd just be a guy. Maybe a guy who fancies himself someone nice.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

phobo posted:

Dick Jorts private eye, at your service.

Watching you *clap clap*
He sees your every move

dads_work_files
May 14, 2008

important_document.avi

Neil Hamburger cosplay

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I think the whole negging thing came about because these guys are convinced that girls only want to date assholes because they are assholes, so they decided to act like jerks to girls, except no panties dropped and the girls told them to gently caress off so they had to try and discover the "right" way to be an rear end in a top hat. Because obviously these nice guys are 100% perfect except for just not knowing how to be mean properly.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

dads_work_files posted:

Neil Hamburger cosplay

:vince:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

CubanMissile posted:

I think the whole negging thing came about because these guys are convinced that girls only want to date assholes because they are assholes, so they decided to act like jerks to girls, except no panties dropped and the girls told them to gently caress off so they had to try and discover the "right" way to be an rear end in a top hat. Because obviously these nice guys are 100% perfect except for just not knowing how to be mean properly.

Yeah and it's not really that we like jerks, but the guy who fawns and puts you on a pedestal is not a good prospect because he'll be disappointed when it turns out you're human and he'll do a blow to your self-esteem on his way out the door.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

bing_commander posted:

can girls be nice guys too

I've shared this story before in other threads whenever this question comes up because it's my only experience with it but: yes, absolutely.

My friends and I went to hang out at the bowling alley one night and we had to stop at their cousins' house to pick up something or other. We also hung out for a bit because they lived across the street from the alley.

This cousin of theirs was kind of a slob when it came to dress and hygiene and was pretty unattractive to me in general, but some kind of hosed up incest taboo avoiding animal instincts must have kicked in when a non-relative dude came into her house because man she would NOT leave me alone.

She managed to get my MSN Messenger contact info a few days later. After all the hints she thought were subtle going nowhere she I guess pulled out her trump card and suggested I take her as my prom date (I was graduating that year, she's two years younger) and tried to play it off as convenient for me because I wouldn't have to fuss about asking anyone to go and all that nonsense. Keep in mind I've only interacted with her in person and online for a combination of maybe two hours by this point.

I said no. She got incredibly pissed off. I'm taking temper-tantrum levels of mad. She went on for several lines about how she's so nice and I'm making a big mistake by rejecting her advances. All because I said no when she asked me to take her to my prom. I was like gently caress this and blocked her because I had enough of that poo poo.

CubanMissile posted:

It started as Moridin said. The justification being they get canned comments all the time and saying something "challenging" that imposes her to engage you is supposedly different enough to make you interesting. Now it's most certainly how you describe it.

Not that I'm defending negging or think the reasoning behind them are sound, of course. It was always loving dumb and manipulative.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, women don't owe it men to make themselves pretty. If you want to slick your hair down and wear an ill-fitting suit you can do that. But it's kind of ridiculous to then get upset that men don't treat you the same as the ladies in the sexy evening gowns.

Yep, that's a female nice guy.

Tbf, some women could probably pull off that look pretty well.

I don't know what look she could pull off.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

The man is not trying to get into my pants. How rude.

Feminism went from "it shouldn't be important if a woman looks good or not" to "every woman is a GODDESS"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Benny Harvey posted:

Tbf, some women could probably pull off that look pretty well.

I don't know what look she could pull off.

Eh, I'm sure a good stylist could come up with something that suited her, fit well, and looked good. Leslie Jones is 48 and not a conventional looking starlet, and she had some good looks for the red carpet. I'm sure whoever was sitting next to her would have been happy enough to make conversation.

Again, I'm not saying any woman owes it to anyone to wear a fancy dress, make-up, and try to look conventionally attractive. But to dress in an ill-fitting suit and then get butthurt that a stranger didn't flirt with you is weird.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Eh, I'm sure a good stylist could come up with something that suited her, fit well, and looked good. Leslie Jones is 48 and not a conventional looking starlet, and she had some good looks for the red carpet. I'm sure whoever was sitting next to her would have been happy enough to make conversation.

Again, I'm not saying any woman owes it to anyone to wear a fancy dress, make-up, and try to look conventionally attractive. But to dress in an ill-fitting suit and then get butthurt that a stranger didn't flirt with you is weird.

Did she actually get upset about that?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Benny Harvey posted:

Did she actually get upset about that?

"I was sitting next to Odell Beckham Jr., and it was so amazing because it was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards.

He was like, “That’s a marshmallow. That’s a child. That’s a dog.” It wasn’t mean — he just seemed confused.

The vibe was very much like, “Do I want to f*** it? Is it wearing a … yep, it’s wearing a tuxedo. I’m going to go back to my cell phone.”

It was like we were forced to be together, and he literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie.

I was like, “This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes.”

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
FA you're right on the mo eye on some stuff but you got some real "but I'm not like those other girls" goin on

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Ante Christ posted:

I've known only one person who handed these out. It was at a party, and this cute woman who was really quirky handed me a card. Her autism was kind of endearing until about a month later she's calling me looking for a place to stay because she was kicked out of her house for spraying mace on her roommates.

"Do you have any references who are, you know, not covered in mace?"

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
There's so many differing opinions on what the actual point and psychology behind negging is that there's only one way to find out the real answer: we're going to have to interview some Nice Guys.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I read some of that PUA stuff when I was 14-15 and dumb

the concept of negging is just that super attractive people aren't going to swoon at your 'wow you're so pretty' line because they hear that 20x a day probably anyway; the point is to give them kind of a flirty challenging line instead that they can go 'hey!' about and engage with you - preferably something not just about their looks

retards just can't understand subtlety and instead just think it means insult people and now that's what it has become i guess

yeah in my defense back in like 2005 it wasn't nearly this toxic and ridiculous

Yeah, my friends and I got into it around the same time, it was relatively innocuous at first, then the third wave PUA dudes ruined it within a few years. Even by the end of The Game book, the second wave PUA dudes are getting out of hand slamming shopping carts into women at the store :staredog:

Like the subtext of the book is to be confident and interesting to attract women. The stupid outfits and magic tricks are kind of secondary, but the important part is being interesting, in order to sustain the conversation. Plus the original lofty goal was just to get phone numbers. Now the objective is to outsmart the primitive female lizard brain so she buys you a car after sleeping with you. It's like memorizing boss patterns in an RPG game, except it's turbo :spergin: to try to hack human conversations.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 4, 2016

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Benny Harvey posted:

Feminism went from "it shouldn't be important if a woman looks good or not" to "every woman is a GODDESS"
[citation needed]

red19fire
May 26, 2010

E: also it's important to note that Mystery's VH1 PUA show took place at a bar where he and the other host were investor/owners and all the women 'successfully' picked up were local models hired by the show. Or they worked with him for his $10k 'talk to a real live human woman' seminars for rich dweebs.

red19fire fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 4, 2016

Mr. 47
Jul 8, 2008

Well, I guess I'll just go fuck myself, then.

Calico Heart posted:

even in this publicity photo he looks like a rabbit in the headlights

If you read "The Game", he comes across as a sad lonely dude who starts trying to bang women, recruits and mentors the author, learns a lot of magic tricks, then tries to kill himself. I wonder what his forums name is.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Mr. 47 posted:

If you read "The Game", he comes across as a sad lonely dude who starts trying to bang women, recruits and mentors the author, learns a lot of magic tricks, then tries to kill himself. I wonder what his forums name is.

It's weird because even when watching The Pick Up Artist... You kind of feel sorry for him?

He comes across as someone lacking in confidence. Someone who doesn't hate women, but also doesn't understand them. He's looked up to by these nerds but at the end of the day he still looks like an average somewhat weird uncomfortably putting on a persona so he can be around other people.

My friends and I watched the show to sorta laugh at goony rear end goons, and though there were some yucks to be had we found Mystery himself elicited feelings of pity rather than anger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

"I was sitting next to Odell Beckham Jr., and it was so amazing because it was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards.

He was like, “That’s a marshmallow. That’s a child. That’s a dog.” It wasn’t mean — he just seemed confused.

The vibe was very much like, “Do I want to f*** it? Is it wearing a … yep, it’s wearing a tuxedo. I’m going to go back to my cell phone.”

It was like we were forced to be together, and he literally was scrolling Instagram rather than have to look at a woman in a bow tie.

I was like, “This should be called the Metropolitan Museum of Getting Rejected by Athletes.”

I'll be honest, as a fat dude I can relate to how she's projecting those insecurities. gently caress if I'm going to broadcast that though.

Mystery before he became a PUA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD0Mm6WIcYs . Btw, does anybody else think it's funny that he chose to go by a stripper's name?

• Locked thread