Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Marching Powder posted:

i really like idris elba but did not expect this in a million years

Apparently he's hired Kieran Keddle (It's Showtime's colour commentator from way back when and long time coach) to train him for the past 10 months and is takin an ammy fight, then if he does well a pro fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Triticum Guzzler posted:

What time does it say doors open on the tickets? Because they've had a long standing habit of saying things are broadcasting "live" when they're on several hours tape delay

5: 30 EST. I assume the card will start at 6 and I see 4 super series fights. from my ufc experience undercard fights generally take 30 mins to set up and finish. So I guess there's a chance the main will start at 8 possibly? still seems a bit early for a weekday event. I wish there was accurate info as to when stuff will be happening live and not "live"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Seltzer posted:

5: 30 EST. I assume the card will start at 6 and I see 4 super series fights. from my ufc experience undercard fights generally take 30 mins to set up and finish. So I guess there's a chance the main will start at 8 possibly? still seems a bit early for a weekday event. I wish there was accurate info as to when stuff will be happening live and not "live"

ask them on the twitter web site, or ask the kickboxing illuminati on the kakutougi forums

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Nokweed Davy died. His fight with Le Banner is one of the great size mismatches in kickboxing, if you've never seen it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msjDN9pgT-w

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ah gently caress, that sucks

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

Triticum Guzzler posted:

There's I don't think anything that gets an emotional reaction out of me more than someone losing one of their coaches. God drat it shouldn't be like losing a best friend but it still is :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Apparently he's hired Kieran Keddle (It's Showtime's colour commentator from way back when and long time coach) to train him for the past 10 months and is takin an ammy fight, then if he does well a pro fight

It's like cm punk except the thing that's happening in kickboxing is grounded in reality, reasonable and sane.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Stringer bell is playing the long con and picking up kickboxing to learn how real criminals operate

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He's going to make a good bond and gunslinger

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

origami posted:

He's going to make a good bond and gunslinger

Not if he vomits any time he's in a bright room.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://fightland.vice.com/blog/an-interview-with-idris-elbas-kickboxing-coach

Short version -
  • He's going to have a couple amateur fights first and his coach will gauge from there
  • Because he travels a lot for acting work he's trained at a lot of places, including with Masato
  • He's probably going to be fighting someone from Mike's Gym

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Triticum Guzzler posted:

thats a cool story. also youre still #1 imo

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

fatherdog posted:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/an-interview-with-idris-elbas-kickboxing-coach

Short version -
  • He's going to have a couple amateur fights first and his coach will gauge from there
  • Because he travels a lot for acting work he's trained at a lot of places, including with Masato
  • He's probably going to be fighting someone from Mike's Gym

If this is the new-and-improved, hoo boy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI4XmsGgu86

There's something too slick about the way the coach talks that makes me uncomfortable. Like he's saying what the skeptic in me wants to hear.
"When he spars, he spars professionals. [...] And he handles them very well. I'm not going to say he beats them, but he does very well."
If he's hitting the bag like that, anybody at the gym (wherever they are) his size with a few years of experience would do.

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

kimbo305 posted:

If this is the new-and-improved, hoo boy:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BI4XmsGgu86

There's something too slick about the way the coach talks that makes me uncomfortable. Like he's saying what the skeptic in me wants to hear.
"When he spars, he spars professionals. [...] And he handles them very well. I'm not going to say he beats them, but he does very well."
If he's hitting the bag like that, anybody at the gym (wherever they are) his size with a few years of experience would do.

Yeah I bet he looks like a monster when he has a full gas tank

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Eat Bum Zen posted:

Yeah I bet he looks like a monster when he has a full gas tank

I thought about that -- given the nature of promotion and Instagram, why wouldn't they have gone with a shot when he was fresher?

Eat Bum Zen
Jul 19, 2013

*mumbles*
Rated T for Teen

kimbo305 posted:

I thought about that -- given the nature of promotion and Instagram, why wouldn't they have gone with a shot when he was fresher?

That plus him being drenched and shirtless makes me think they're going for a certain marketing angle but for the life of me I'm too out of it to put that in words

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

I'm trying to find the final answer on event timing for glory 33 elsewhere but I found this

quote:

This Friday night, Glory presents Glory 33 New Jersey, featuring a pair of world title fights. Glory 33 airs live this Friday, September 9 with a fight time of 11:00 p.m. ET for the main card on ESPN2. Before that, the Glory Superfight Series will air live on UFC Fight Pass with a fight time of 8:30 p.m. ET.

So I guess the main does start actually at 11 and isn't tape delayed? I don't think I've heard of fight pass delaying anything before. There's no real explanation as to why the doors are opening 3 hours before 8:30 though.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Apparently theres 19 fights and the card starts at 5:30 "main at 8:30" according to the arena. I only count 10 fights on the glory event page which is confusing. I guess the guy mightve been referencing the undercard listed for the event that fightpass is showing as the start of the main card. I'm gonna play it safe and show up at 8. Worst case scenario I see one undercard and the main otherwise I should catch all the advertised stuff. I don't know who in their right mind would go to this event from like 5 pm to 1 am.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Found this god drat fascinating. It's a tribute video to Nokweed Davy who died recently, and not from fighting five rounds with Jerome LeBanner when you weigh 72kg, if you can believe that. Watch this tiny guy march Jerome around the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1f_o2moKA

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Wilnis just wrecked Marcus and it was awesome, has that broadcasted yet?

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

Seltzer posted:

Wilnis just wrecked Marcus and it was awesome, has that broadcasted yet?

Yeah, seems to be live then, Valtellini was complaining about it being an early stoppage, which is funny for a guy who retired due to brain damage

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Marcus protested for like half a second

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ray Longo is in attendance

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Weidman too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

love the no loving around between fights

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
I like how they show clips while reading the rules, and during the section on fouls it's nothing but clips of Artem Levin clinching

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
Man that was a monster left

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
In guard
My god, this Embree guy has some crazy power, two highlight reel KOs in one night

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

This card rules

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Glory 33 was a really fun event. I recommend anyone attending if they run near you. A few notes- the one negative was that the arena was only about 50% full. Of that 50% only about 25% seemed like they were kickboxing fans, the rest seemed to be there to watch people get beat up for only 30 bucks. UFC events have a lot more knowledgeable people or at least casually knowledgeable people in my experience. Essentially, the atmosphere could've been better but it did get loud for the bigger fights. I don't know why they ran in Trenton in the first place. It's not really a fight town in and it's basically right in between two massive markets that they probably would have done better business running a show in. We showed up a little after 9 right in time for the Parry vs McDonald fight which was perfect imo because the card went on quite awhile and the rest of the undercard looked pretty trash. The upside of the event being thinly attended and long was that security didn't give a gently caress and we walked down to seats incredibly close to the ring a few matches in. Every fight we saw was awesome except for Gerges vs Inocente.

Two main highlights 1- Wilnis vs Marcus 2- A drunken man in his 50's dressed like he just came from a horse track proclaiming "New Jersey is the best country in the world". :agreed:

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 10, 2016

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Watching Glory 33 and jesus christ, Matt Embree is my new favourite fighter that I never knew existed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://i.imgur.com/ixgX2Tn.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/Z9r91rX.gifv

I love this guy and will have to watch the event where he gets his title shot. And also the next Glory event because it apparently has a middleweight tournament.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

K-1's 60kg World GP is happening right now, there's a stream here but it requires a VPN connection through Japan https://abema.tv/now-on-air/fighting-sports

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

Taiga just beat his first-round opponent so bad that he verbally quit at the end of the round and ran out of the ring & arena lmao

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007

RIP the balls of Johannes Wolf 1988-2016

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/jordanbreen/status/777777208874176512

Same

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Being Hiroya's protege sounds like the most backhanded compliment of all time.

Anyway, good news everyone, a well run, sustainable, exciting kickboxing promotion like K-1 Japan was too good to be true, so now it's imploding in a cloud of impenetrable Japanese gym and tv politics. I guess imploding is too strong a word because nobody really knows what's going on yet, but Kensaku Maeda (owner of the Team Dragon gym) has been replaced as the head of K-1/Krush. In response, basically everybody from Team Dragon has left the gym, including Takeru, the Urabe brothers, and even the guy currently running the gym. Takeru has tweeted that he's still fighting for K-1 in November, but there's a lot of conspiracy theories flying around about the new head honcho being a coup from TV people, or a new organisation poaching fighters, to Team Dragon starting their own organisation.

The new head is saying that he'll step down if he can't satisfy the fans but is being very vague. I don't understand any of it, but apparently the bright side of this is that kickboxing fans are so concerned with K-1 maybe imploding again that nobody remembers Kimura embarrassing himself against Krazy Horse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Tbf I'm not sure any gym in Japan can properly train you to fight homeless people.

TheUltimateDoofus
May 21, 2016

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Being Hiroya's protege sounds like the most backhanded compliment of all time.

Anyway, good news everyone, a well run, sustainable, exciting kickboxing promotion like K-1 Japan was too good to be true, so now it's imploding in a cloud of impenetrable Japanese gym and tv politics. I guess imploding is too strong a word because nobody really knows what's going on yet, but Kensaku Maeda (owner of the Team Dragon gym) has been replaced as the head of K-1/Krush. In response, basically everybody from Team Dragon has left the gym, including Takeru, the Urabe brothers, and even the guy currently running the gym. Takeru has tweeted that he's still fighting for K-1 in November, but there's a lot of conspiracy theories flying around about the new head honcho being a coup from TV people, or a new organisation poaching fighters, to Team Dragon starting their own organisation.

The new head is saying that he'll step down if he can't satisfy the fans but is being very vague. I don't understand any of it, but apparently the bright side of this is that kickboxing fans are so concerned with K-1 maybe imploding again that nobody remembers Kimura embarrassing himself against Krazy Horse.

this is very disturbing. k-1 and krush much better than we deserve.

https://twitter.com/yoshiHEROsato/status/781817901292490752

https://twitter.com/Jolassanda/status/781773908772921344

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
So Team Dragon split into two, with the new breakaway being called "Team Krest". I still don't know what any of it means but it seems less bad for K-1 for now?

Upcoming fight stuff:

1. Idris Elba fights on the 28th, apparently it's going to be streamed on a local Discovery channel facebook page?

2. K-1 Global (the bad one) are trying to make shows based off of the good one, but in Europe. Starting off with a 95kg 8-man tournament in Belgrade. Also since they're showing their face in Europe again people are coming out to say they didn't get paid for the show that Mirko "won". This will air in Serbia on a channel called "RTV Pink"

3. Takeru has vacated his 55kg belt and is fighting in the newly established 57.5kg (yeah) division, 55kg still exists though. The good news is he's fighting in another tournament on the 3rd of November. It's probably going to stream on Abema, the event is sold out a month in advance, which is crazy for kickboxing in Japan even in their tiny rear end venues.

quote:

57.5kg World Grand Prix Tournament
QuarterFinal #1
Ozawa Kaito VS Josh Tonna

QuarterFinal #2
Tobe Ryuma VS Elias Mahmoudi

QuarterFinal #3
Kanbe Shota VS Yun Qi

QuarterFinal #4
Takeru VS Jamie Whelan

Tournament Reserve Fight
Ootaki Yuta VS Asahisa Hirotaka

SuperFights
Kido Yasuhiro VS Sanny Dahlbeck
Kubo Yuta VS Makihira Keita
Soda Yasuomi VS Fawad Seddiqi

4. Noiri is suddenly randomly fighting in Marseille next month for a title for Nuit Des Champions, which may or may not be some indecipherable kickboxing politics thing