Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

Harlock posted:

I finally stumbled cross BBH'S mame roulette videos on YouTube. RIP me for all the backlog I have to watch.

Once you clear all those out, you can go watch IcarusFW's shmup-only roulette stuff too! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Shooting games are fun but I've never understood the fighting genre. Once you find the one why would I play anything else?
After you've played Raiden III or Gradius, why would you try IKaruga, ChoAniki, Parodius, or Twinkle Star Sprites??

I mean, I pretty much think SF3:3rd Strike is the tits, but I'll still love Soul Calibur 2 for its 3D plane and characters, X-Men v SF or Marvel V Capcom for its craziness, or Super SF2: Hyper for Guile Wins.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

After you've played Raiden III

you turn it off and play a raiden game that isn't raiden III because holy poo poo what happened there

e: the weird thing is I enjoyed III when it came out, it's strange for a shooter to age so badly

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

how is it hard to understand why a fan of a genre would want to play more than one game in that genre :psyduck: this is the "rap music all sounds the same" of video games right here

And I think that judgment is totally valid in a genre so heavily entrenched in decades old trappings. There's that rabbit fighting game with incredibly deep and detailed systems based on realistic physics and accurate hit detection but a number of people cry foul at the game calling itself a "fighting game" because it's not 2D side view. It's the same with roguelikes. Up until recently they all belonged to similar schools that I don't know how anyone could get excited over Angband clone #50.

FilthyImp posted:

After you've played Raiden III or Gradius, why would you try IKaruga, ChoAniki, Parodius, or Twinkle Star Sprites??

I mean, I pretty much think SF3:3rd Strike is the tits, but I'll still love Soul Calibur 2 for its 3D plane and characters, X-Men v SF or Marvel V Capcom for its craziness, or Super SF2: Hyper for Guile Wins.

Even if you made the argument that shooters all play alike they're still visually interesting and varied enough to encourage seeing the end, plus score attack for mastering the core game. I just can't care about a fighting game unless it has a lot of features beyond one on one fighting. I probably put 100 hours into Soul Edge but completely bounced off Soulcalibur despite being a technically better game. Tekken 3 was another game I put a college semester's worth of time into.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 4, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

nobody who plays fighing games gives a poo poo about realistic physics, just like nobody gives a poo poo about the story. it's not about that. it's like asking why people still play football and ignore XFL. that's the nature of competitive things, if they change too much all your skills you spent years learning are now worthless

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

im gonna print thsi out & frame it

al-azad posted:

I just can't care about a fighting game unless it has a lot of features beyond one on one fighting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

nobody who plays fighing games gives a poo poo about realistic physics, just like nobody gives a poo poo about the story. it's not about that. it's like asking why people still play football and ignore XFL. that's the nature of competitive things, if they change too much all your skills you spent years learning are now worthless

And that's why I don't understand the appeal. Professional athletes aren't bouncing from one sport to another. Every time a new "Magic killer" comes out people go right back to Magic. So what's the point of a new fighter when it's intentionally designed to be familiar?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

Please take a selfie with it and frame it next to King of Fighters #WhoGivesAFuck

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

And that's why I don't understand the appeal. Professional athletes aren't bouncing from one sport to another. Every time a new "Magic killer" comes out people go right back to Magic. So what's the point of a new fighter when it's intentionally designed to be familiar?

it's like expansion packs with new cards in them

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

al-azad posted:

I mean if you want to take that example, look at Formula One. Things like DRS get added and adjusted, power/weight limitations and such change every year. Think of different versions of Street Fighter like that. As for different series, well they're different sports/leagues. I can't stand SF or Skullgirls, but I like KOF and Tekken, for instance.

d0s posted:

Charagen, tag matches, customization, different singleplayer modes/etc all own

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Even if you made the argument that shooters all play alike they're still visually interesting and varied enough to encourage seeing the end, plus score attack for mastering the core game.
I mean, the same can be said of a lot of fighters? Especially those in franchises. The differences between SF2 and SF3 are pretty stark. Even SF2/SSF2 have some subtle but interesting changes, to say nothing of the sound/graphics upgrades.

Even the shooters I mentioned have some pretty big differences between them. Ika's color shot system, gradius's variable upgrades/Option, Raiden's 3 weapons system... Hell, Raiden and Gradius don't even scroll in the same direction.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Scaramouche posted:

owning my friends at samurai shodown
This is a long and dark road that ends in poverty.

FilthyImp posted:

I mean, the same can be said of a lot of fighters? Especially those in franchises. The differences between SF2 and SF3 are pretty stark. Even SF2/SSF2 have some subtle but interesting changes, to say nothing of the sound/graphics upgrades.

Even the shooters I mentioned have some pretty big differences between them. Ika's color shot system, gradius's variable upgrades/Option, Raiden's 3 weapons system... Hell, Raiden and Gradius don't even scroll in the same direction.

As people like to point out: Ryu's idle animation in SF3 contains more frames of animation than Ryu in SF2.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

yeah extras are dope but I don't feel like for example RBFFS (one of my favorite fighters) is any less of a game for having exactly none of those things

al-azad
May 28, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I mean if you want to take that example, look at Formula One. Things like DRS get added and adjusted, power/weight limitations and such change every year. Think of different versions of Street Fighter like that. As for different series, well they're different sports/leagues. I can't stand SF or Skullgirls, but I like KOF and Tekken, for instance.

Speaking of Formula One, the series is something I want to get into but there are conflicting opinions that F1 2014 is the best because it was the last game with a full career mode. 2015 is regarded as stripped down garbage while 2016 has the career mode but male only.

Annual games feel like phones where each year has new features nobody asked for, removed features everybody liked, but it's the latest thing everyone's using so you have to check it out. I have an image in my mind of the designers going off checklists with the producer popping in like "REMOVE THAT FEATURE OR WE'LL HAVE TO TOP OURSELVES FOR THE NEXT GAME!"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

And that's why I don't understand the appeal. Professional athletes aren't bouncing from one sport to another.
Are you too young to remember Bo Knows Baseball/Football? Or Michael Jordan trying out AAA Baseball after retiring from the Bulls?

quote:

So what's the point of a new fighter when it's intentionally designed to be familiar?
Different graphics styles, different SFX greebles, the fact that the gaming industry can't poo poo out the same exact game every year and expect to survive? Different fighters have unique design concerns. They need a semi-standardized interface because it's easier to assume the fact that FF+1 or QcF+P gives you a move than WeaponLord's extreeeeeem "find the moves out on your own newb" hardcore philosophy. What they do with it can be pretty different, like KI's ability to create giant chains of combos that can be interrupted, or SF's concern with control of spacing because of its 2D plane.

Even within the franchises themselves, new games can promote new mechanics. SF3's parry is a high risk, moderate reward system for a neophyte, SF4 is more cinematic with its super moves, and SSF2's introduction of supers made it possible to turn a losing round around.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

al-azad posted:

Speaking of Formula One, the series is something I want to get into but there are conflicting opinions that F1 2014 is the best because it was the last game with a full career mode. 2015 is regarded as stripped down garbage while 2016 has the career mode but male only.

Annual games feel like phones where each year has new features nobody asked for, removed features everybody liked, but it's the latest thing everyone's using so you have to check it out. I have an image in my mind of the designers going off checklists with the producer popping in like "REMOVE THAT FEATURE OR WE'LL HAVE TO TOP OURSELVES FOR THE NEXT GAME!"

I have a friend who works on Madden, I should ask him at some point how much of the what goes in/what comes out decision-making process is a blindfold and a dartboard.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Are you too young to remember Bo Knows Baseball/Football? Or Michael Jordan trying out AAA Baseball after retiring from the Bulls?

Jordan's journey into baseball is not remember fondly though it did give us Space Jam.

quote:

the fact that the gaming industry can't poo poo out the same exact game every year and expect to survive?

Hmm, well, about that.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Allen Wren posted:

I have a friend who works on Madden, I should ask him at some point how much of the what goes in/what comes out decision-making process is a blindfold and a dartboard.

No joke please do. I'm sure the majority of decisions are made on what features are most popular but if people say Version X has the best running game and Version Y has the best throwing game then why doesn't Version Z take the best from X and Y?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

al-azad posted:

Jordan's journey into baseball is not remember fondly though it did give us Space Jam.
true. That's kind of what happens when an elite athlete tries to go beyond the event they've drilled countless years into their bodies. Not everyone's a decathlete and all.

quote:

Hmm, well, about that.
We like to laugh at Capcom's Hyper Extended Special Champion Edition incremental updates, but if you look at the history of just SF2, the game changed significantly from update to update. SF2's combos were an odd byproduct of its hitstun timings, and the head-to-head competition was innovative at the time. SF2 Hyper was a byproduct of people getting bored with Vanilla SF2 and hackers speeding things up to increase the challenge/decrease matchup times. It also introduced the expanded roster with the Bosses. Then Super introduced more fighters, etc.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

yeah it would have totally been great if capcom stopped after SFII and we never got superturbo, who needs that rehash pile of poo poo am I right

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

al-azad posted:

No joke please do. I'm sure the majority of decisions are made on what features are most popular but if people say Version X has the best running game and Version Y has the best throwing game then why doesn't Version Z take the best from X and Y?

...because determining what's "best" is incredibly subjective and the circumstances surrounding those decisions change all the time, and that's assuming the people making the games even understand them to the same extent as the players which isn't always the case.

Fighting games are enjoyed by different people for different reasons and Toribash not being at EVO doesn't mean anyone's closed off to the idea of non-conventional fighting games.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

d0s posted:

yeah it would have totally been great if capcom stopped after SFII and we never got superturbo, who needs that rehash pile of poo poo am I right

Yes

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

d0s posted:

yeah extras are dope but I don't feel like for example RBFFS (one of my favorite fighters) is any less of a game for having exactly none of those things

Totally fair, I'm just more of a vs CPU guy because I'm bad at games and also live in Australia with shitass ADSL2, so netcode is only just getting to the point where it's like, playable at all.

al-azad posted:

I have..11, 12 and 13, and I think there's a copy of 14 floating around here somewhere (might be PSN on my dad's PS3) but from what I remember that's about right. I'd keep an eye out for sales and stuff. It also helps if you have a wheel. We have a DrivingForce GT, used to have a G25 and now we have the newer Logitech one, they're all pretty solid. Though, I mostly use my GT for Truck Sim, these days..

al-azad
May 28, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

...because determining what's "best" is incredibly subjective and the circumstances surrounding those decisions change all the time, and that's assuming the people making the games even understand them to the same extent as the players which isn't always the case.

Fighting games are enjoyed by different people for different reasons and Toribash not being at EVO doesn't mean anyone's closed off to the idea of non-conventional fighting games.

Subjectiveness can be informed by due diligence and the fact that these people have been making games for over 2 decades. If last year my work performance was fantastic but this year so-so, I can probably narrow down the reasons behind that change.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Toribash not being at EVO doesn't mean anyone's closed off to the idea of non-conventional fighting games.

tell the FG thread that lmao

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

al-azad posted:

I would have to say that 2016 is by far the best for me out of the series. I found 2010 started well, but they slowly stripped away features over the following versions. 2015 seemed to be a reboot with a new engine but very stripped down. 2016 adds reasons to practice (tyre management, track familiarisation, qualification prep), rivalries, manual starts, the 2016 tyre options and team R&D improvement over time- (so Manor could be the best car at some point in a 10 year career).

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
really fighting games peaked with Ballz 3D.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Discount Viscount posted:

really fighting games peaked with Tattoo Assassins.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

really fighting games peaked with Urban Champion

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!

really fighting games peaked with Ed Ballz.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Basically I'm mad that King of the Monsters didn't catch on and there's no next gen War of the Monsters.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

really fighting games peaked with Tongue of the Fatman.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
lmao @ everything al-azad's posted in the last couple of pages

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

El Estrago Bonito posted:

As people like to point out: Ryu's idle animation in SF3 contains more frames of animation than Ryu in SF2.

what. no

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
how the HECK are things that can be grouped together not actually all the same exact thing. i DONT understand

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I mentioned this in another thread where we were talking about games, I figure I might as well mention it here as well, since it's about retro-style gaming and a game that is, itself, retro at this point.

http://nurium.com/breakquest.html

BreakQuest, which is probably the best-looking, best-sounding update on the Breakout/Arkanoid formula I've ever seen, is now free to own with a serial posted right underneath the download link on the developers' site. The only problem is that you have to force it into pillarbox mode since it was made for 4:3 displays and stretches to fill the screen in full-screen mode.

Honestly, give this piece a try if you're even vaguely interested. It's got physics out the wazoo. Ball moves based on how hard you hit it with what shape your bat happens to be at the time, blocks can move (sometimes connected on wires, sometimes free-floating), your ball can change shape or acquire smaller balls that orbit around the larger one or both, AND EVERYTHING PRODUCES A MILLION GODDAMN PARTICLES. :pcgaming:

It's like 12 years old at this point, but what's the last you heard out of the genre worth a drat? Seriously. Give it a go. I love the hell out of it.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

absolutely anything posted:

lmao @ everything al-azad's posted in the last couple of pages

Yeah. How DARE he not like thing enough to tell all the distinctions!? What a goddamned monster.

But I am sure if y'all scream and yell and insult him why I am sure he will totally see y'all's point and not instead ignore anything you might have to say about a genre of Videogames. (Not everyone likes every genre or even every game in the genre. Others might just like one game in said genre and not give enough of a poo poo to explore the genre or even one series to see the differences. This could be to their own detriment but we all only have so much time and money. It's cool really. Sometimes sad and disappointing but.. It's ok. Really.)

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Captain Rufus posted:

Yeah. How DARE he not like thing enough to tell all the distinctions!? What a goddamned monster.

But I am sure if y'all scream and yell and insult him why I am sure he will totally see y'all's point and not instead ignore anything you might have to say about a genre of Videogames. (Not everyone likes every genre or even every game in the genre. Others might just like one game in said genre and not give enough of a poo poo to explore the genre or even one series to see the differences. This could be to their own detriment but we all only have so much time and money. It's cool really. Sometimes sad and disappointing but.. It's ok. Really.)

No, it's more that he's obviously ignorant of any of those genres and is vomiting his gratuitous. opinions for all to see.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

how the HECK are things that can be grouped together not actually all the same exact thing. i DONT understand

all these people who prefer apples are refusing this orange. why can't they accept that apples must be disrupted to please me, a fan of oranges

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Allen Wren posted:

I mentioned this in another thread where we were talking about games, I figure I might as well mention it here as well, since it's about retro-style gaming and a game that is, itself, retro at this point.

http://nurium.com/breakquest.html

BreakQuest, which is probably the best-looking, best-sounding update on the Breakout/Arkanoid formula I've ever seen, is now free to own with a serial posted right underneath the download link on the developers' site. The only problem is that you have to force it into pillarbox mode since it was made for 4:3 displays and stretches to fill the screen in full-screen mode.

Honestly, give this piece a try if you're even vaguely interested. It's got physics out the wazoo. Ball moves based on how hard you hit it with what shape your bat happens to be at the time, blocks can move (sometimes connected on wires, sometimes free-floating), your ball can change shape or acquire smaller balls that orbit around the larger one or both, AND EVERYTHING PRODUCES A MILLION GODDAMN PARTICLES. :pcgaming:

It's like 12 years old at this point, but what's the last you heard out of the genre worth a drat? Seriously. Give it a go. I love the hell out of it.

Oh, hey, other fans of this game do exist. It's the best game in its genre. Yes, better than Shatter even. Also, the soundtrack is totally great.

There's a sequel, but it's a PS Vita exclusive (?!) and plays like rear end.

• Locked thread