Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Are you sure this ex isn't a little crazy and told his mom to do something to get back at your roommate?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
No we are not sure. That is a distinct possibility as well. Crazy would be a good way to describe him for a variety of reasons. Either way we just had a livestock vet leave and after examining all the animals he said he's going to write up something that says none of the animals are neglected and they're all in good health.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Did you get murdered by PETA?

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

FoolyCharged posted:

Speaking of Turok 1, is it me or is 2 significantly slower paced? I'm kind of getting a slower more exploratory vibe, wheras 1 felt zippy like you were trying to find everything before the seemingly endless enemies overwhelmed you. At the very least you look like you're moving slower in 2.

That's right; and there's a good reason for that. The controls and movement speed both suffered a significant downgrade from the first game. Where Tal'Set ran really quickly, Joshua moves noticeably slower. Where Tal'Set had diagonal running, Joshua does not. And where Turok 1's controls were responsive, Turok 2's controls seemed to have a noticeable delay between the time you push something, and when Joshua actually RESPONDS to what you pressed. And...I think Turok 2's enemies were a little tougher and bulkier as well? I know you can turn the headshot option on and off, but, it still seemed to me like they were harder to put down than Turok 1's. And, this is without counting any of the frame rate issues you might run into if you leave the Graphics on Hi-Res...

I know the TC enjoyed Turok 2, so I won't talk smack about it any more...but Joshua is, indeed, a lot less mobile than Tal'Set was; that's why I'm hoping Nightdive buffs Joshua so that you DO move like you did in Turok 1.

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Aug 12, 2016

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

Did you get murdered by PETA?

No but I do have a court date where I have to defend 2 animal cruelty charges because I hadn't refilled the quail's water yet that morning and the dogs had drank theirs.:suicide: I did have a vet write something that shows none of the animals were neglected so hopefully that will be enough.

Fionordequester posted:

That's right; and there's a good reason for that. The controls and movement speed both suffered a significant downgrade from the first game. Where Tal'Set ran really quickly, Joshua moves noticeably slower. Where Tal'Set had diagonal running, Joshua does not. And where Turok 1's controls were responsive, Turok 2's controls seemed to have a noticeable delay between the time you push something, and when Joshua actually RESPONDS to what you pressed. And...I think Turok 2's enemies were a little tougher and bulkier as well? I know you can turn the headshot option on and off, but, it still seemed to me like they were harder to put down than Turok 1's. And, this is without counting any of the frame rate issues you might run into if you leave the Graphics on Hi-Res...

I know the TC enjoyed Turok 2, so I won't talk smack about it any more...but Joshua is, indeed, a lot less mobile than Tal'Set was; that's why I'm hoping Nightdive buffs Joshua so that you DO move like you did in Turok 1.

I actually agree with most of this. Joshua does move slower, enemies are bulkier, and dodging is more difficult. You generally have to hide behind cover to not get hit where as Turok 1 you could dodge easily. Dodging in 2 is a bit harder due to the slower movement.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is there an estimated time when you'll return to this LP or should we abandon hope? I'm not familiar with Turok 2 outside of some weapons and cheats, and no goon has ever attempted an LP of it before you. It'd be a shame to see it abandoned, but significant delays seemingly happen a lot with stuff I follow (ahem, LISA).

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Not abandoned at all. Finished the gameplay and commentary recording for the next couple episodes. Just have to edit them and I should be back on track shortly.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

:woop:New episode, finally.:woop:

Episode 11 - The Death Marshes

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Those Flintstones style gatling guns are just so precious, Purr-Linn high technology!

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

You must stop the Primagen finish the LP Turok!

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

Yay! It's back!

Also, I loving love the Shredder. It is one of the most fun weapons I've found in an FPS. In the later worlds, where there's lots of tight corridors, the Shredder truly lives up to its name. So go! Dine on turtle soup!

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

SkyTalon2314 posted:

Yay! It's back!

Also, I loving love the Shredder. It is one of the most fun weapons I've found in an FPS. In the later worlds, where there's lots of tight corridors, the Shredder truly lives up to its name. So go! Dine on turtle soup!

Nothing has ever beaten the Shredder for me in any FPS. Some came close, but nothing ever beat it.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The music in this level is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4drlseiLqU
Also it's great to see the uncensored version. The german one only had blue "blood".

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

AstroWhale posted:

The music in this level is great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4drlseiLqU
Also it's great to see the uncensored version. The german one only had blue "blood".

Thank you for this, I meant to add in the music for this level and then just forgot about it completely.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Alright, it's back!

Day has been made!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I saw "Shredder" in the thread and assumed it was one of the few weapons I remembered reading about in this game. It's not but it looks pretty cool. Also the Gunner Pur-Lin dying while falling on top of its rock backpack was funny, looks like a flipped-up turtle.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Speaking of Turok 2's rad soundtrack, there's been some interesting remixes of the ost on YouTube. Of the levels we've seen:

Main Theme (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPp5sHuclnI

Port of Adia (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcJHAxj-n5A

Port of Adia (Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1A4dlQy0ko

Port of Adia (Synth/Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NzTs_xZeV0

Port of Adia (Drum mix): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBnCqgxtS6o

Port of Adia (Electronic): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY1C3jWXydU

Adon's Theme (Progressive Black Metal!?!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTlfbRb-IuM

River of Souls (Metal): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkFlRv35NOw

River or Souls (Orchestrated): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB4DBI5RfB4

I couldn't find anything remixed for the Death Marshes--and obviously there's a skew towards people wanting to remix Port of Adia.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Being the first level helps alot. Im sure a significant portion that played the game never beat it but drat if the soundtrack doesnt stick with you

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Being the first level helps alot. Im sure a significant portion that played the game never beat it but drat if the soundtrack doesnt stick with you

There's that, but Port of Adia is also a really good song. I honestly don't think Death Marches is in the same league.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Ha, yeah, I was gonna say: Port of Adia is a drat fine tune. Being that good is probably what helps.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 12 - The Shredder

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
Ahh, the Plasma Rifle. Playing Turok 2 on an emulator and thus having access to mouse aim makes the plasma rifle monsterous. Or that I might have had a bad/wierd graphics codec, I don't remember the fog being so close.

Does the plasma rifle shoot a regular beam if you body shot an enemy? Or is it still hitscan, just with an added explosion?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I think it was mentioned earlier in the thread somewhere? But it's worth mentioning possibly again that i like how big this level feels, not because it's a particularly massive level in terms of scale but just because you're in Purrlin territory and they are some very big boys. Some of those ladders that you climb are 2 or 3 Turoks across in terms of length! Really gives you the feeling that you don't belong there, that the only thing really separating you from the soldiers you rescue is the fact that you are Turok and therefor competent.

Also since there is insta-death water in this swampy area as well i wonder if the Death Marshes are actually geographically close to Aracie and the River of Souls. Knowing how the Lost Lands is this big weird bubble of time and space i'm willing to believe it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Zernach posted:

Ahh, the Plasma Rifle. Playing Turok 2 on an emulator and thus having access to mouse aim makes the plasma rifle monsterous.

Wait wait wait. Actual mouse aim? Or just some horrible semi-functional kludge? I was trying to get Perfect Dark working the other week and it was a horrorshow. Might as well have been playing on an actual N64. I desperately want to replay Turok 2/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini with non-lovely controls.

(Night Dive's Turok 1 release is loving joy to play, especially with the FOV cranked up. PSWii60's videos are making me feel claustrophobic by comparison.)

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Also since there is insta-death water in this swampy area as well i wonder if the Death Marshes are actually geographically close to Aracie and the River of Souls. Knowing how the Lost Lands is this big weird bubble of time and space i'm willing to believe it.

Well, I have no idea what the canon is, but the river's a river and the marsh is marsh, it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that the river flows into or out of the marshes. Actually, if we assume the marshes are upstream of Araissi then the levels so far form a journey upriver- port, city, marshes. But that's almost too reasonable an explanation for a place that's supposed to be as hosed up spatially as the Lost Land.

(I'd like to think they're connected, because the poison in the river comes from the reactor(?) (engines?) in the Primagen's Lightship (is that a spoiler? I can't remember if that's a spoiler at this point), so you have this subtle image of the Primagen's evil radiating outward and corrupting vast swathes of territory).

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

As far as other games putting lots of love into beaten enemies, Doom 2016 went hog wild with ripping enemies to shreds.

SkyTalon2314
Aug 8, 2013

I am glad to see I'm not the only one in the thread doing a joke like this.

As far as the Shredder goes, I find normal shot more useful most of the time than explosive. In big, open areas, explosive is better, but in tighter corridors, I found the normal shot gets more bang for my buck, so to speak.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FoolyCharged posted:

As far as other games putting lots of love into beaten enemies, Doom 2016 went hog wild with ripping enemies to shreds.
There's still plenty more game to go in the current LP of Doom 2016, but so far, the glory kills there are quick, albeit quite gory. Turok 2 deaths not only have gore galore, but they give you plenty of time to revel in your kill. And we haven't even gotten to everyone's favorite weapon of the series yet!

I'm kinda drawing a blank, honestly. Violent video games weren't my thing as a kid because my parents wouldn't let me play them outside of Turok 1 and Rage Wars (never played 2), but just from looking at games of the time, the violent ones were cartoonishly violent, and today's FPSes not named Doom 2016 look restrained by comparison.

Edit: Wow, Yoshi's Island's Athletic Theme makes for the best blooper reel music. Sorry, Spanish Flea, you've been dethroned.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 5, 2016

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Killzone 3 is still restrained compared to DOOM 2016, but a few of the melee kills were pretty gnarly. The fact that the camera lingers helps sell them:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Autonomous Monster posted:

I desperately want to replay Turok 2/Perfect Dark/Jet Force Gemini with non-lovely controls.
Perfect Dark's Xbox Live Arcade port on the 360 is pretty great, it runs at a steady 60 fps (instead of the 10-15 fps of the N64 version) and has proper controls. It also gave me a bit of motion sickness when I tried to play it, possibly because I wasn't used to Perfect Dark running anywhere near that smoothly.

That same port is on the Rare Replay compilation, which also has a version of Jet Force Gemini with updated controls. The one slight caveat there is the fact you need an Xbox One to play the compilation. :v:

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I'm gonna guess the XBLA and XBone ports do not have KB+M support sadly. I have been meaning to play/watch the new Doom stuff. Probably the LP since I don't think I can run it. Been a bit too busy with a few things to check it out (local Renn Faire, watching Stranger Things and Agent Carter). Also drat those Killzone kills are gory. Is the gameplay good? I never played a Killzone game.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

PSWII60 posted:

I'm gonna guess the XBLA and XBone ports do not have KB+M support sadly.
Certainly not, but a modern dual analog scheme is still a massive improvement over the original controls.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Gameplay is solid. It's your basic Call of Duty button set-up, but the game physics feel quite weighty, like a space marine loaded down with gear should feel. The first one is 100% skippable (ignorable even), but KZ2 and 3 are really solid. If you've a Vita, Mercenary is the best Killzone. KZ3 and KZ:Mercenary have the most responsive controls are probably the most fun to play from a pure gameplay perspective--they're punchy and satisfying. That said, there are a lot of peeps who prefer the slower more methodical approach to KZ2--a game that, moreso than the other sequels, has been boiled down to the bare bones FPS logic of "move=>shoot=>repeat".

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

Certainly not, but a modern dual analog scheme is still a massive improvement over the original controls.

I've played the XBLA version of PD. It's definitely a step up from the original, but it's still nowhere close to proper M+KB controls. :smith:

JFG might work better on a controller. It's a pity I don't have an xbox any more.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

I have unfortunately never played Jet Force Gemini so I can't say anything about it.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Episode 13 - The Bridge of no Return

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

PSWII60 posted:

I have unfortunately never played Jet Force Gemini so I can't say anything about it.

Imagine Starship Troopers on an even sillier level than it already is, plus i would say there almost as most violence as in Turok but it's done in a more humorous way (more, shooting a bug with a rocket launcher and they explode into a shower of blood or sniping their head clean off their body like it was a cartoon or something) Pretty sure it's on virtual console if you have a Wii/Wii-u and i don't think the game is to hard to track down on a cartridge anyway.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jet Force Gemini isn't on Virtual Console. If it were re-released, it would be on Xbox because all non-Donkey Kong games made by Rare belong to Microsoft.

Also, you have to collect everything in order to finish JFG. It's like how you have to collect the Rareware and Nintendo Coins in DK64 in order to beat that game.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

Y-Hat posted:

It's like how you have to collect the Rareware and Nintendo Coins in DK64 in order to beat that game.

That and Beaver Bother were the worst parts for me. :suicide:

I'll try emulating Jet Force Gemini at some point at least to see if I like it. There were at least 2-3 other games I want to LP after this series is done so I'm not sure when I'll get to it. Plus I intend to stream stuff eventually.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

Jet Force Gemini isn't on Virtual Console. If it were re-released, it would be on Xbox because all non-Donkey Kong games made by Rare belong to Microsoft.

Also, you have to collect everything in order to finish JFG. It's like how you have to collect the Rareware and Nintendo Coins in DK64 in order to beat that game.

That's true, it's on the Rare Replay collection for the Xbox One. Also you need all the bears (which can also die in horribly violent ways if you want) simply because the Bear King is like "go get these ship parts, oh and i have the last one but i won't give it to you until you free all my people"

I think even the very first strategy guide put out for the thing made fun of the fact of how daunting this task is :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I would have probably finished JFG if not for the as-mentioned Tribal collection. Some of the levels you unlock after getting that task are really neat and the spaceship parts are not entirely unreasonable but gently caress having to replay levels over again to find all of the Tribals without a walkthrough.

• Locked thread