Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
With all this talk of open, uninhabited spaces (which creep me right the hell out, by the way,) I remembered something I saw a few days ago that this thread might enjoy.

It's photography of the confirmed wrecks of the Franklin expedition, and goddamn they are quite eerie.

:nws: :nms: warning: there are photos of mummified, dessicated, but shockingly well preserved bodies in here.

https://m.imgur.com/a/Kllgz

I can't imagine what the last few folks that were alive there were feeling, having traveled so far, suffered so much, and made so many sacrifices... Just to know you have hours until you too will die hopeles and alone, bearing the burden of the things you did in the name of survival.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Not as creepy as some stories in this thread, but unnerving just the same:

a recent case of folie a deux as the Tromp family became convinced they were in danger and fled their home.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

That drat Satyr posted:

With all this talk of open, uninhabited spaces (which creep me right the hell out, by the way,) I remembered something I saw a few days ago that this thread might enjoy.

It's photography of the confirmed wrecks of the Franklin expedition, and goddamn they are quite eerie.

:nws: :nms: warning: there are photos of mummified, dessicated, but shockingly well preserved bodies in here.

I can't imagine what the last few folks that were alive there were feeling, having traveled so far, suffered so much, and made so many sacrifices... Just to know you have hours until you too will die hopeles and alone, bearing the burden of the things you did in the name of survival.

I was reading the Wiki about this the other day but forgot to do further searching so this is awesome timing. I don't know why shipwrecks freak me out so much.

I'm sure it's come up in this thread before but I'm reading the Haruki Murakami book 'Underground' about the '95 sarin gas attack in the Tokyo Underground. Aside from generally making underground systems terrify me, the creepiest thing is how many people don't realise they've been gassed - even after they start broadcasting the symptoms on tv, a lot of the interviewees are basically like "well, I saw this, but figured I just had a cold and didn't need to worry". I'm pretty sure that would be me in the same circumstances.

edit: realised I should write this out a bit more for people who don't know: in 1995 a religious cult called Aum (now known as Aleph) dropped sarin gas in the Tokyo Underground around 8.10 in the morning, rush hour. The book by Murakami quotes around 20 deaths and 350 injured people but "official" numbers from wikipedia are 12 deaths, 50 severe injuries, and up to 5000 people with temporary vision problems.

The Murakami book is interviews with survivors of the attack, and later also interviews with cult members (which I'm not up to yet). It's sort of about the social psychology behind Japan's response to the attack but it's also very creepy/depressing.

Everyday Goast has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Sep 4, 2016

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Bogart posted:

Why do they call it the bush? Is that a term adapted from the indigenous Australians?

Bush in this context means pristine native forest.It seems to be a word that got used with different meanings by British colonisers in different parts of the world, with an overarching sense of "untamed area".

Unless you're talking to someone else because you mention indigenous Australians? There's no connection whatsoever between indigenous Australians and New Zealand.

slinkimalinki has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Sep 4, 2016

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Jonas Albrecht posted:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/09/bizarre-ant-colony-discovered-in-an-abandoned-polish-nuclear-weapons-bunker/

Ants fall into an inescapable pit where they barely survive through unknown means. I love ants, so this is just plain fascinating, but it's also such a weird and dark existance that I can't help but try and picture a human analog.

An inescapable radioactive, pitch-black pit, no less.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

That drat Satyr posted:

Thank you for yet another chance for me to direct posters towards the Arctic thread in the Book Barn, where you can find out more about the Franklin expedition:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3655083

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

slinkimalinki posted:

Bush in this context means pristine native forest.It seems to be a word that got used with different meanings by British colonisers in different parts of the world, with an overarching sense of "untamed area".

Unless you're talking to someone else because you mention indigenous Australians? There's no connection whatsoever between indigenous Australians and New Zealand.

I know jack poo poo about Oceania so I was just guessing. :shobon: thanks for the clarification, y'all.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

That drat Satyr posted:

The dudes are all like :gary: and they should have the "I ain't even mad" meme applied

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Zodijackylite posted:

I'm from the northeastern US and I don't think I've ever been somewhere where I couldn't dump a gallon of gas in a car and get to the nearest station. Everywhere I've ever been in my life could fit into the middle of nowhere in Australia. Driving six states over was a big road trip, and you're telling me it's that far between... anything?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Phyzzle posted:

Huh, so in >115 degree heat, humans have to spray water directly on their skin or else die. Wonder if that's only true in sunlight, or in shade as well.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Everyday Goast posted:

I was reading the Wiki about this the other day but forgot to do further searching so this is awesome timing. I don't know why shipwrecks freak me out so much.

I'm sure it's come up in this thread before but I'm reading the Haruki Murakami book 'Underground' about the '95 sarin gas attack in the Tokyo Underground. Aside from generally making underground systems terrify me, the creepiest thing is how many people don't realise they've been gassed - even after they start broadcasting the symptoms on tv, a lot of the interviewees are basically like "well, I saw this, but figured I just had a cold and didn't need to worry". I'm pretty sure that would be me in the same circumstances.

High five, kinda. I'm reading that right now, too, and a theme in the book seems to be "stoicism/being a good employee" even if it ends up killing you. So many people with the exact same symptoms and they all just tried to work through it. Another thing that blew me away was that a lot of the victims expressed apathy, or even sympathy, toward the cult members. Maybe it was a weird moment in history, but you narrowly avoided death...

RNG has a new favorite as of 00:38 on Sep 5, 2016

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

A quoted post expressing amazement at the emptiness of Australia.

Yes it's that empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXkluVu14dU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhKouttHpWM

I've fallen down a hole of outback driving videos! If you have a spare 1/2 hour this Ray Mears episode on outback survival is a good watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSqWMA27Law

Helith has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Sep 5, 2016

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helith posted:

Yes it's that empty.

I've fallen down a hole of outback driving videos! If you have a spare 1/2 hour this Ray Mears episode on outback survival is a good watch.

How much of Australia's road systems are through ponds and lakes?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

xtal posted:

How much of Australia's road systems are through ponds and lakes?

Depends

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

That drat Satyr posted:

FYI there's a pretty solid nonfiction book called The Terror where the stranded ships are attacked by a crazy snow monster. It's kind of like Predator in the Arctic.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Terror_(novel)

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Your Gay Uncle posted:

FYI there's a pretty solid nonfiction book called The Terror where the stranded ships are attacked by a crazy snow monster. It's kind of like Predator in the Arctic.

Pretty sure that counts as fiction

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Helith posted:

Yes it's that empty.

Sure are a lot of trees in the middle of your roads.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Bogart posted:

I know jack poo poo about Oceania so I was just guessing. :shobon: thanks for the clarification, y'all.

Well, Oceania has always been at war with Eastasia so there's that as well.

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I'd like to direct you to John Carpenter's virtuoso documentary The Thing

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Which part of predator in the Arctic is non-fiction?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Was it a polar bear?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
It was a tupilak, so kinda

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
It was an a-ok book but Simmons clearly has some issues.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TotalLossBrain posted:

Which part of predator in the Arctic is non-fiction?

It was made by a bunch of gods and trapped in the Arctic after they realized they couldn't control it, if I remember correctly

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I have no idea why I double posted two different quotes and didn't add any context too them.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

I have no idea why I double posted two different quotes and didn't add any context too them.

unnerving!

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

The most unnerving thing in this thread is the fact that OP Literally Kermit never added a single story to the second post in this thread, which was reserved for them. That means the hordes of new visitors to newly promoted PYF are going to be asking us to post links to old stories.

Literally Kermit, why hast thou forsaken us?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cumslut1895 posted:

It was made by a bunch of gods and trapped in the Arctic after they realized they couldn't control it, if I remember correctly

Uh, you know what fiction is right? Sounds interesting though.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Uh, you know what fiction is right? Sounds interesting though.

But we were told it was non-fiction so duh! :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Yeah, that's what I'm confused about. The part where gods froze a spirit of vengeance in the Arctic is the "non-fiction" part?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

willus posted:

unnerving!

Not really, I've quit smoking and from reading up I hit my peak yesterday. I should probably apologise to a few people.

In an effort to contribute, I can't remember seeing this posted before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_in_the_Box_(Philadelphia)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That always reminds me of this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Torso_Murderer?wprov=sfla1

Elliot Ness was even called in to try to solve it. Too bad the killer didn't cheat on his taxes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/04/jacob-wetterling-remains-of-boy-missing-for-27-years-are-found-in-minnesota

The remains of Jacob Wetterling have been found :unsmith:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Edit: Wrong thread, oops.

Edit2: As for content, I went through the Wikipedia page on people who were declared dead after they went missing. Plenty of interesting cases here. Like Bison Dele, a basketball player who, along with his girlfriend and the ship's skipper, was murdered at sea by his own brother. Or Donald Crowhurst, an unsuccessful businessman who went into a circumnavigational yacht race woefully unprepared, gave up early on and reported fake positions to try to make it look like he was still racing. He eventually went crazy and jumped overboard.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 08:34 on Sep 6, 2016

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Creepy New Yorker article I'm reading right now about a Polish murderer who more or less wrote a novel exposing himself.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

Entire Arctic derail itt is longer than the Book Barn thread dedicated to the subject. :(

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

Entire Arctic derail itt is longer than the Book Barn thread dedicated to the subject. :(

I read a fantastic nonfiction book about Antarctica called "At The Mountains of Madness," you should check it out.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
we all know Antarctica is made up and doesn't exist, you charlatan

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

willus posted:

Of course, it is just the wall that surrounds us on the flat earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

willus posted:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e3/AntarcticBedrock2.jpg