Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

iospace posted:

Didn't Trump get caught doing an actual pay-to-play thing and the media let it slide?

well, john roberts once argued with a straight face that giving money to someone and them doing a favor for you could be a coincidence and isn't actually evidence of corruption on its own

but god help you if you try to treat people with aids or bail journalists out of north korea, you sick gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

iospace posted:

Didn't Trump get caught doing an actual pay-to-play thing and the media let it slide?

Funny thing about that: it's two actual pay-to-play things now.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Paradoxish posted:

The article he was responding to literally points out that undocumented immigrants depress wages for the lowest class of workers in the US. Not to mention the ethical issues of paying these people less than we'd pay US citizens. Like, that whole article boils down to saying that having an underclass is good because it's economically beneficial to the higher rungs of society.

I was making a joke about smoke forgetting that not all immigration is undocumented.

But I guess Trump's better for the low wages issue than Hillary, Hillary's going for a mere $15 minimum while Trump's in for a whole $10!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
lmao the Guardian has an article exploring how Trump is causing wider divisions in voting intention among married people than ever before, and includes gems like this:

quote:

“Between married men and married women, there is a record gender gap right now,” said Celinda Lake, head of the Democratic polling firm Lake Research Partners. Married women, a group won by the Republican Mitt Romney in 2012, are currently supporting Clinton by about 12 points, Lake said.

“We have a situation where Donald Trump’s personal style is just so offensive to women, and it is much more salient to women than it is to men.”

Some husbands seem less than thrilled by this dynamic. In voter interviews, Lake has noticed an unusual number of married women reporting that their husbands have pressed them to vote for Trump.

“We’ve had it come up in our focus groups extensively,” Lake said. “That always happens toward the end, but it’s coming up in this election much sooner than usual.”

In Columbus, Ohio, three door-to-door canvassers for Working America, a group affiliated with the labor federation AFL-CIO, reported similar versions of the same story: after leaving a house where the husband planned to vote for Trump, the wife chased the canvasser down the street to say that under no circumstances would she do the same.

quote:

Lake believes many couples try to excise politics from their relationships, and not just in the heated final months of the 2016 race. Several years ago, her firm conducted a survey in which 72% of men but only 49% of women said with confidence that their partners would vote the same way they did.

“We called it the, ‘Sure, honey’ factor,” Lake said. “Guys just assume who their wives are voting for. And I think some women go, ‘Sure, honey.’”

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/04/donald-trump-support-marriage-ipsos-poll

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

a) the media isn't actually as liberal as people pretend it is
b) actual liberals in the media often overcompensate for their own perceived biases and trash liberals/Democrats to prove how neutral they are
c) media people LOVE it when they get to be part of the story so being ignored is way worse to them than being attacked
d) Hillary press pool is watching their professional colleagues on the Trump beat get way way way more attention paid to them because of how many more stories they have, Hillary beat reporters probably feel like Hillary's refusal to engage with them is actively hurting their own careers and are lashing out at her in response
e) the media completely bought in to fringe right-wing conspiracy-mongering in the 90s and all had starry-eyed illusions that they would get to be the one to break the next watergate - when it didn't happen they blamed the Clintons for not being dirty enough rather than Matt Drudge et al leading them by the nose to one idiot conspiracy theory after another
f) because of GOP ref-working over the last 30 years, when a Republican says "where there's smoke, there's fire" while visibly pointing a smoke machine in the direction of a Clinton, the media can't help but chase the shiny ball because to them an argument means a story

This election, if nothing else has convinced me that our media needs to be uprooted and rebuilt.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

vyelkin posted:

lmao the Guardian has an article exploring how Trump is causing wider divisions in voting intention among married people than ever before, and includes gems like this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/sep/04/donald-trump-support-marriage-ipsos-poll

Thank god for the 19th amendment.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

vyelkin posted:

I wonder how many married women feel compelled to say they support Trump when they do a phone poll since people might be listening but privately in the voting booth they're gonna vote Clinton.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Inferior Third Season posted:

Jesus literally advocated for a 100% wealth tax and redistribution of wealth. He'd stand no chance. The religious right would tear Him apart for His disrespect of Christianity.

Reminder that this is exactly, word for goddamned word, what happened to the actual Jesus.

(Assuming he existed)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I wonder how many married women feel compelled to say they support Trump when they do a phone poll since people might be listening but privately in the voting booth they're gonna vote Clinton.

I think most phone polls are automated robocalls where you push buttons to register support so even that's pretty private unless your husband is listening to the call on speakerphone and watching which button you push.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Eifert Posting posted:

Reminder that this is exactly, word for goddamned word, what happened to the actual Jesus.

(Assuming he existed)

The irony completely escapes today's evangelicals.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
bernie targetted white progressives because he was automatically crushing with people under 30 who are incredibly diverse. calling him the white rage candidate is loving beyond ridiculous, he's a jewish social democrat, get a grip. this sounds like wishful thinking from an AA lady incapable of understanding his seemingly out-of-nowhere popularity. Why would Cornell West of all people align himself with the "white rage" candidate. This tweet really irritates me.

Sanders severely hosed himself, and by extension the progressive cause by not even attempting to appeal to the black base and that's inexcusable. But I've definitely had conversations with AA friends during primaries who basically turned into Republicans when attempting to discuss Sanders, his platform, or even attempting to understand his popularity, particularly among young people, who, again, are fifty percent non-white people, eager to vote and natural Democrats. It's a two way street.

cargo cult fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 4, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Eifert Posting posted:

(Assuming he existed)

Jesus of Nazareth probably existed. It would not have been at all out of place for a Jewish apocalyptic preacher who caused a public disturbance during the Passover festival in Jerusalem (at the Temple no less) to be executed as a potential rebel and the fact that they acknowledge his crucifixion as an enemy of the state in the Gospels (and go to lengths to explain why it was a religious plot rather than a criminal death) and that Flavius Josephus mentions a preacher who might well be Jesus point to his probable existence. As a historical character he was probably real.

There's no evidence historically of his religious claims, though.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

cargo cult posted:

bernie targetted white progressives because he was automatically crushing with people under 30 who are incredibly diverse. calling him the white rage candidate is loving beyond ridiculous, he's a jewish social democrat, get a grip. this sounds like wishful thinking from an AA lady incapable of understanding his seemingly out-of-nowhere popularity. Why would Cornell West of all people align himself with the "white rage" candidate. This tweet really irritates me.

Sanders severely hosed himself, and by extension the progressive cause by not even attempting to appeal to the black base and that's inexcusable. But I've definitely had conversations with AA friends during primaries who basically turned into Republicans when attempting to discuss Sanders, his platform, or even attempting to understand his popularity, particularly among young people, who, again, are fifty percent non-white people, eager to vote and natural Democrats. It's a two way street.

You probably shouldn't be relying for your point upon the good judgement of Cornell West, noted Jill Stein endorser.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

iospace posted:

I hate to do this, /again/, but NPR's republican slant is because a republican controlled congress repeatedly threatens to pull the plug on them if they get too far left. It's a feature, not a bug, and one put in to save their own rear end because the GOP can't have any government funded institution be against them ever.

That doesn't change my frustration that there is a notable slant towards Trump (in that his egregious issues are overlooked or played off as just gaffes while Clintons has stuff literally made up to throw at her with "people are asking about.." bullshit) in the media in general while NPR and the New York Times are still characterized as hyper liberal.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

cargo cult posted:

bernie targetted white progressives because he was automatically crushing with people under 30 who are incredibly diverse.

Nah, more accurate is that Bernie targeted white progressives (who tend to skew younger) and touched on issues that appealed to young people in general.

Remember that he started out by saying that Ferguson was due to black youth not having jobs, which is almost exactly what Trump is saying now.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

AMorePerfctGoonion posted:

I've been ranting for some time to anyone who will listen about the paper by Angus Deayton arguing that various social and economic forces have created a new middle-aged white underclass who are literally dying of despair by suicide and drug abuse.
Yeah, but who cares? They take offers of help as a personal insult and they hate everyone who isn't like them, in addition to hating everyone who is like them including and especially themselves. There are plenty of other people who need help and who aren't trying to drag the entire world down with them.

Maybe the reason no one cares about them is that they are utterly contemptible human beings.

vyelkin posted:

I think most phone polls are automated robocalls where you push buttons to register support so even that's pretty private unless your husband is listening to the call on speakerphone and watching which button you push.
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/live-polls-and-online-polls-tell-different-stories-about-the-election/

quote:

Now, it’s pretty clear that Hillary Clinton’s lead over Donald Trump is wider in live-telephone surveys than it is in nonlive surveys.
If that's happening then something else is pressing the scale in the other direction even harder.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

computer parts posted:

Remember that he started out by saying that Ferguson was due to black youth not having jobs, which is almost exactly what Trump is saying now.
I did not know that, that's hosed lol. I will definitely concede that he seemed conspicuously aware of not turning off his largely white base but even so characterizing him as the white resentment candidate seems like actual resentment that an outsider will consistently rile up a big tent of young people and white people and PoCs more than Hillary Clinton... somewhat like the most successful AA politician of all time

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

It's mind-boggling how anyone who follows this election can maintain the illusion that the media can/will do whatever they need to do to bring him down. WaPo is the only one doing its job this year.

The same WaPo who published an article yesterday talking about how it was Hillary Clinton's fault that she is attacked by a right wing media conspiracy machine because she didn't open up enough to the media (actually The Washington Post, natch) about Whitewater?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...49a6_story.html

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene

Quorum posted:

You probably shouldn't be relying for your point upon the good judgement of Cornell West, noted Jill Stein endorser.
West endorsing Stein and saying Clinton will start WWIII is quixotic and hyperbolic but he's probably just Berned out V:shobon:V

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Nah, more accurate is that Bernie targeted white progressives (who tend to skew younger) and touched on issues that appealed to young people in general.

and Hillary Clinton started out by literally not being able to describe what White Privilege is, so i guess it would be fair to say that both of their stances have evolved on the issue of the course of their primary campaigns

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Oh, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is now also "crooked"...I see.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Quorum posted:

cargo cult posted:

West endorsing Stein and saying Clinton will start WWIII is quixotic and hyperbolic but he's probably just Berned out V:shobon:V

He also called Obama a friend of the family and took Bernie's appointment of a seat on the platform committee right before joining Jill Stein. I'm just gonna say that I respected the man at one point but I'll leave this here:
https://newrepublic.com/article/121550/cornel-wests-rise-fall-our-most-exciting-black-scholar-ghost

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

rscott posted:

and Hillary Clinton started out by literally not being able to describe what White Privilege is, so i guess it would be fair to say that both of their stances have evolved on the issue of the course of their primary campaigns

Which doesn't change the fact that Bernie primarily targeted white progressives. The only evidence of that changing is post-Super Tuesday, and even then it was too little too late.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i am harry posted:

Oh, the Federal Bureau of Investigation is now also "crooked"...I see.

No, at this point, Crooked has become Hillary Clinton's first name to him.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

computer parts posted:

Which doesn't change the fact that Bernie primarily targeted white progressives. The only evidence of that changing is post-Super Tuesday, and even then it was too little too late.

That seems to be the fault of listening to Jeff Weaver on the issue which I think even most ardent Sanders supporters agree was and continues to be a terrible idea

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
Still reading the TNR artcle but Trump is ahead in Iowa according to RCP and 538

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Sorus posted:

CGP Grey did a video on this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU. The short of it is, even programming jobs will be automated. The nature of work will fundamentally shift in our lifetime.

People have been saying this since the 70s.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

a) the media isn't actually as liberal as people pretend it is
b) actual liberals in the media often overcompensate for their own perceived biases and trash liberals/Democrats to prove how neutral they are
c) media people LOVE it when they get to be part of the story so being ignored is way worse to them than being attacked
d) Hillary press pool is watching their professional colleagues on the Trump beat get way way way more attention paid to them because of how many more stories they have, Hillary beat reporters probably feel like Hillary's refusal to engage with them is actively hurting their own careers and are lashing out at her in response
e) the media completely bought in to fringe right-wing conspiracy-mongering in the 90s and all had starry-eyed illusions that they would get to be the one to break the next watergate - when it didn't happen they blamed the Clintons for not being dirty enough rather than Matt Drudge et al leading them by the nose to one idiot conspiracy theory after another
f) because of GOP ref-working over the last 30 years, when a Republican says "where there's smoke, there's fire" while visibly pointing a smoke machine in the direction of a Clinton, the media can't help but chase the shiny ball because to them an argument means a story

This is what I don't get, personally. While I could be wrong and this changed, usually the press pool of the winning candidate for president ends up in the White House press pool for the duration of their term, so wouldn't it be in their best interests to push good stories? :v: (what am I saying, they want short term profit, not long)

And you'd think with E they'd finally get sick of all the wolf calls.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Xae posted:

People have been saying this since the 70s.

And they were correct, which is why all the mills and factories in every shithole ~300pop town from California to North Carolina closed in the 80s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

i am harry posted:

And they were correct, which is why all the mills and factories in every shithole ~300pop town from California to North Carolina closed in the 80s.

the 30 years post-WW2 in the US were very much an artificial bubble for the US economy that had to end sometime. At least if you weren't a fan of bombing the opposition to dust to maintain economic supremacy.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

i am harry posted:

They were saying it about computers programming themselves.

Also see Self-Driving cars in the 80s.

These things are coming, but we're talking long term, not immediate term.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Like it took black people blowing up his conferences before he started talking about racism outside of the structure of the fiscal changes he wanted to make. Like if we fixed financial inequality, racial inequality would just disappear.

I like Bernie, voted for him and know he actually meant well. But he was real rough on race and how to talk to black people early on. Which is understandable as he's only campaigned in Vermont recently.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lightning Knight posted:

This one always made me curious. Is there a better way they could collect data on this other than hoping people volunteer the info? Honestly interested here, I don't know a lot about labor statistics collection in America.

They actually collect the unemployment data in 6 different ways. We just have always used U-3 as the official rate. The increase in talk about the U-6 rate would be getting a lot more traction and support if it's origin wasn't the right desperately flailing around for a way to show that Obama Bad. The thing to remember though is that there are arguments for and against all 6 rates and that they should be taken not only as trend lines but also in context both historically and currently.

Here's the Table A-15 from last week:

Here's a graph going back to 1994 of U-3, U-5, and U-6 rates(the gray bars are recessions):

Today's U-6 unemployment is around where we were in January of 1995 and July of 2003. U-5 is around what it was in December of 2007, April 2005, October 2001, and April of 1997. The official U-3 rate is around where we were in December 2007, August 2005, August 2001, and September of 1997. We're still clearly recovering from the 2008 crash, but the recovery rate is faster than both the 92 and 01 recessions.

Lightning Knight posted:

Hillary unfortunately won't win a huge landslide victory because of both increased polarization and the simple fact that Republicans by and large won the narrative war for the last forty years.

That Hillary loving Clinton is doing as well as she is, is a testament to how much better organized Democratic campaigning has gotten thanks to Obama. There's a lot of structural and demographic hurdles to overcome in this particular election for Dems, even if in the future it will be easier.

I disagree. I think that if current trends continue Hillary is looking at an old school landslide. Obviously not paint the whole map Blue territory, but it's possible to go over 400. The main things in her favor are Trump really sucks and is pissing everyone but old white guys off, and the combination of her strong ground game and his near total lack of ground game. The fact that they're opening offices in red states and spending money there while Trump can't be bothered to open more than one office in Florida or any in North Carolina supports that.

Come November my feeling is that Trump supporters will be demoralized, Democrats will be energized to vote for a winning ticket, the ground game disparity gives Hillary an effective 5 point bump nearly across the board, and the usual cratering of 3rd party candidates overwhelmingly shifts towards Hillary. 2012 Obama plus NC seems to be her floor, and that's 347 in the EC.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
trump is up in iowa

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Stultus Maximus posted:

He also called Obama a friend of the family and took Bernie's appointment of a seat on the platform committee right before joining Jill Stein. I'm just gonna say that I respected the man at one point but I'll leave this here:
https://newrepublic.com/article/121550/cornel-wests-rise-fall-our-most-exciting-black-scholar-ghost

Pretty much, like it's not that I think Cornell West taints Bernie Sanders or anything, or that Bernie was some kind of white supremacist candidate or the same as Trump. Just that populism tends to look very similar no matter whether the anger is directed at the 1% or at the Washington insiders. And that's why I tend to be a little suspicious of it, overall.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Trabisnikof posted:

I still want them to remake Daisy since they already did confessions of a republican

They should do it and run the ad the day before the election.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Kilroy posted:

Yeah, but who cares? They take offers of help as a personal insult and they hate everyone who isn't like them, in addition to hating everyone who is like them including and especially themselves. There are plenty of other people who need help and who aren't trying to drag the entire world down with them.

Maybe the reason no one cares about them is that they are utterly contemptible human beings.

I agree. Once all middle-aged white people die off the country will fix itself.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cargo cult posted:

trump is up in iowa

Iowa is 6 electoral votes, why do you keep repeating this as if it matters?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It seems like one of the recent election related news stories getting some run in the press in the last day or so is Clinton campaign people talking up the fact that she has a huge number of pathways to 270 and Trump has very few.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/clintons-advisers-tell-her-to-prep-for-a-landslide-227659

While this is true and something we mostly have a consensus on here, it seems like silly hubris.

However, it did occur to me that it could be on purpose, to provoke Trump and keep him pissed off and lashing out since he seems like he can't help reacting to attacks portraying him as a loser. Any merits to this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Personally, I'm glad she isn't up ten points on him nationally. As much as I want her to completely destroy him and the racist wave he's riding on election day, I also don't want casual Democrats to get comfortable with the idea of Trump losing and not bother voting.

• Locked thread