Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I have a little 1/2"x1" neodymium magnet and it's great for finding drywall screws. A lot easier than the little magnets on swivels IMO. Plus you can just leave it stuck to the wall to mark where the stud is, instead of having to mark it with a pencil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!

uwaeve posted:

Just starting out, will I be relatively happy with an all-in one type blade for a table saw or am I better served swapping out blades depending on what I'm doing?

I see a Diablo 50t multipurpose blade with the deep gullets and I'm guessing a rip tooth like every 5 or 6 teeth, alternately there's just a 40t general purpose one.

I have the Freud Diablo 50t combo blade. It leaves nice buttery cuts in pretty much everything I have used it for it but it's a little slow and gums up quickly. I do very little crosscutting on my table saw so I replaced it with a Freud 24t ripping blade and I prefer the 24t. Much quicker feed rate, doesn't gum up much and it is quieter. Cheaper to have sharpened, too.

Keep the pitch from building up and the 50t will do you well.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Scored some old tools this am at a local yard sale. None of it chineseium, all for about $25.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
And now for something different, a saw blade made of paper!

https://youtu.be/rYfkhdKcEiE

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

The only thing I could think about during that video was massive papercuts

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

kid sinister posted:

And now for something different, a saw blade made of paper!

https://youtu.be/rYfkhdKcEiE

:psyboom:

That could actually be really useful for cutting pvc trim pieces or similar soft, expensive materials, or something where you want minimal kerf (or the world's worst papercut)

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Ok, gather 'round for three learning moments with the track saw.

1. It didn't cut square out of the box, needed some back and forth adjustment so that it not only cut square but the indicator corresponded to anything approaching reality. You can't loosen the indicator pointer without the stop adjustment screws backed out, but when they are backed out it's not set up square. So back and forth counting quarter turns of the stop screws, seeing what the indicator pointer said, etc.

2. The depth adjustment knob needs to be really tight. In the middle of a cut I put a little too much weight on the saw, because it slid the stop to the end, plunging through the 1" foam insulation and right onto the concrete floor. The tooth bevels no longer alternate. RIP $33, luckily I had ordered a second so I could keep working. I did wind up using the blade to offset measurements with a combination square, but I'm betting I could have gotten a 0.086" shim for less than $33.

3. At the 45 degree setting, the blade is offset from the splinter guard on the track enough that it makes a difference in the quality of the cut. The track has two edges, im thinking about making the other side 45 degrees (I haven't cut using that side yet, and you actually trim the rubber splinter guard on your first pass). Then I'm going to run into measuring and marking problems, though, with the rubber splinter guard being wider at the top than bottom. The splintering and tearout isn't dooming my project, but just an FYI for anyone cutting bevels like myself, the top surface will have stuff not held down by the splinter guard.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
You can also reduce tear out by doing a quick shallow scoring cut (I'd forgotten but one of the other Makita track saw features is a separate 2-3mm depth stop, so you can do a scoring cut without adjusting the depth)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

I bought a Proto feeler gauge from Amazon Warehouse (AWD) but it is missing the .002 and .003 leafs. Fired off an email to Proto and heard back pronto, they will send me a new one. Will update when it happens but so far that is good customer service.

Update, arrived today via USPS. That's good service, will definitely buy more Proto stuff.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
What are good options for getting all the moisture and oil out of a compressed air line, and then cleaning any hoses and simple air blowers that might already have oil/water in them? I need to be able to clean my camera sensor and the little squeeze bulb puffers (even the nice rocket one) just aren't really cutting it.

I'm thinking replacing the regulator to one with a filter system built in and then putting a second filter right at the tool might do the job?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Parts Kit posted:

What are good options for getting all the moisture and oil out of a compressed air line, and then cleaning any hoses and simple air blowers that might already have oil/water in them? I need to be able to clean my camera sensor and the little squeeze bulb puffers (even the nice rocket one) just aren't really cutting it.

I'm thinking replacing the regulator to one with a filter system built in and then putting a second filter right at the tool might do the job?

Personally, I would never use any of my compressors to try and clean a camera sensor- with one exception. My airbrush compressor. Driers and separators are cheap for them, you can also buy small disposable one-use filters.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Parts Kit posted:

Why not get a sensor cleaning swab and do it right?

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Falco posted:

Why not get a sensor cleaning swab and do it right?
Do you really think I haven't done this?

the spyder posted:

Personally, I would never use any of my compressors to try and clean a camera sensor- with one exception. My airbrush compressor. Driers and separators are cheap for them, you can also buy small disposable one-use filters.
Thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Parts Kit posted:

Do you really think I haven't done this?

It absolutely wasn't clear and they were just trying to help.....

Like, seriously. I don't care how clean the air is (within reason for a home gamer) a proper swab is going to be better. And cheaper.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
So the swabs haven’t removed the dust, but you think compressed air might?

Maybe it’s worth a try, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and it becomes a marathon session where you go through a handful of the things. Swabs are really more for dealing with the stubborn fine stuff that sticks hard to the hot mirror anyways.

Air bulbs are okay and generally get the large loose stuff the camera's sensor cleaning thing occasionally can't get off -- which is what is bugging me at the moment -- but usually when you squeeze them the nozzle moves all over the drat place so it's hard to put the air exactly where you want. There's also the issue that over time dust gets into nooks and crannies inside the body anyways (and this one is several years old) so being able to precisely direct some air would be quite helpful for getting that stuff out so that it doesn't just migrate later on.

Unfortunately finding good info on using compressed air is difficult because search results mostly end up being folks trying to shortcut with lovely canned air and having obvious problems when they get propellant all over their sensor. ed: woo, finally found something useful in search results - American Recorder Technologies makes co2 cartridges without extra poo poo for cleaning sensors.

Parts Kit fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Sep 1, 2016

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Got my 45 oz Estwing deadblow in today. I'd borrowed one from a coworker, and the improvement from a lighter, more standard one was drastic for shoving around big fixtures. Kinda worried about the faces getting damaged in the long run, but my application is pretty specialized, probably won't be a big issue.

http://www.estwing.com/db_estwing_deadblow_hammers.php

bred
Oct 24, 2008
My dad retired and is selling his house so we're finding a lot of neat things as we pack everything. One of them we're not sure about; this aluminum tool. First look says pipe threader or chaser but then I think why aluminum? Has anybody seen one of these before?

More pics: http://imgur.com/a/5lFAn

Battered Cankles
May 7, 2008

We're engaged!

Parts Kit posted:

Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't and it becomes a marathon session where you go through a handful of the things. Swabs are really more for dealing with the stubborn fine stuff that sticks hard to the hot mirror anyways.

Air bulbs are okay and generally get the large loose stuff the camera's sensor cleaning thing occasionally can't get off -- which is what is bugging me at the moment -- but usually when you squeeze them the nozzle moves all over the drat place so it's hard to put the air exactly where you want. There's also the issue that over time dust gets into nooks and crannies inside the body anyways (and this one is several years old) so being able to precisely direct some air would be quite helpful for getting that stuff out so that it doesn't just migrate later on.

Unfortunately finding good info on using compressed air is difficult because search results mostly end up being folks trying to shortcut with lovely canned air and having obvious problems when they get propellant all over their sensor. ed: woo, finally found something useful in search results - American Recorder Technologies makes co2 cartridges without extra poo poo for cleaning sensors.

Buy a can of compressed air that is made for electronic cleaning? Less than :10bux:

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007

bred posted:

My dad retired and is selling his house so we're finding a lot of neat things as we pack everything. One of them we're not sure about; this aluminum tool. First look says pipe threader or chaser but then I think why aluminum? Has anybody seen one of these before?

More pics: http://imgur.com/a/5lFAn

https://gemm-sales.myshopify.com/products/ringer-sprinkler-repair-tool

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I was given a shower valve socket set and noticed that the sizes are unusual: 21/32, 27/32, 29/32, 31/32, 1-1/32, 1-3/32, 1-5/32, 1-9/32, 1-11/32, and 1-7/16

Is there a historical or other reason why they use such odd sizes?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Supposedly before the advent of different grades of bolts, a stronger bolt of a different size had a slightly over sized head.

I always figured nonstandard socket sizes/types were usually "because gently caress you, that's why".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The extra size might also help for galvanized bolts? :shrug:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Does anyone own or have experience with the Milwaukee 12v circular saw? Its pretty pricey but I've seen the display model at the store and seems very well built and solid. I already have the 12v impact driver and drill so I would be buying just the tool with no extra battery; it runs $149.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have the 18v circular Milwaukee. Works fine for my intermittent use. It'll cut 2x4s all day.

bred
Oct 24, 2008

O cool, thanks!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
Is there like a dremel attachment that uses the rotation to blow a stream of air or did I just invent it in my head?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spookydonut posted:

Is there like a dremel attachment that uses the rotation to blow a stream of air or did I just invent it in my head?

quote:

The 490 Dremel Dust Blower offers an innovative solution for improving visibility when using your Dremel rotary tool. By removing fine debris from your line-of-sight, our small air blower is great for detailed projects, sanding, engraving, and carving. Can also be used on the 225-01 Flex Shaft attachment.

coathat
May 21, 2007

I recently got into wood carving using an angle grinder and I can tell my 10 buck harbor freight grinder is not long for this world. Any recommendations for a new grinder for when mine gives up the ghost? I'm leaning towards a paddle switch model right now.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have the Hitachi 5" variable speed grinder and it is a joy to use. Lots of power, low vibration.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

coathat posted:

I recently got into wood carving using an angle grinder and I can tell my 10 buck harbor freight grinder is not long for this world. Any recommendations for a new grinder for when mine gives up the ghost? I'm leaning towards a paddle switch model right now.

My harbor freight angle grinder just died a couple weeks ago after almost 10 years of rugged abuse. It sounded horrible from day 1 but it definitely lasted. I got a makita to replace it and have no complaints.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spookydonut posted:

You can use a strip of tape around the shaft as a make shift fan in a pinch.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

coathat posted:

Are you sure? Those HF grinders always sound like there's sand in the bearings, and the motors vibrate badly. They do, however, seem to last nearly forever.

If you are doing carving, I'd strongly suggest a variable speed model, either from Makita, Bosch, or Metabo. They're expensive, but for wood, you really appreciate the finer control. Alternately, if you're using smaller blades, the 4" Makita is a nice grinder and very inexpensive, but spins 11,000RPM. $150 would buy you either a 5" or a 6" Makita Variable Speed, without any discounts/coupons.
5": https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-9565CV-5-Inch-Variable-Grinder/dp/B00005Q7BG
6": https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-9566CV-Variable-Cut-Off-Grinder/dp/B00006K15B

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 5, 2016

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

wormil posted:

I have the Hitachi 5" variable speed grinder and it is a joy to use. Lots of power, low vibration.

I got a refurb hitachi from big sky tools as a Christmas gift awhile back, and it's definitely a huge step up from my harbor freight grinder. Thing feels rock solid, and I've had absolutely zero issues so far. It's even done great cutting through a concrete filled steel pipe.

I've always heard Makita and Dewalt make excellent grinders as well

coathat
May 21, 2007

sharkytm posted:

Are you sure? Those HF grinders always sound like there's sand in the bearings, and the motors vibrate badly. They do, however, seem to last nearly forever.

If you are doing carving, I'd strongly suggest a variable speed model, either from Makita, Bosch, or Metabo. They're expensive, but for wood, you really appreciate the finer control. Alternately, if you're using smaller blades, the 4" Makita is a nice grinder and very inexpensive, but spins 11,000RPM. $150 would buy you either a 5" or a 6" Makita Variable Speed, without any discounts/coupons.
5": https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-9565CV-5-Inch-Variable-Grinder/dp/B00005Q7BG
6": https://smile.amazon.com/Makita-9566CV-Variable-Cut-Off-Grinder/dp/B00006K15B

Yeah I might just see how long this one lasts and save up for a variable speed grinder. For now I'm going the ghetto route a second harbor freight grinder and their router speed controller for more control. Plus I don't have to switch out wheels since the carving blade I got has a little adaptor to that likes to fall out and run away when I take it off.

The carbide cup wheel at harbor freight is one of their great tools. If you ever need to seriously shape some wood it's amazing and only ten bucks. http://t.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinding-wheels-accessories/4-1-2-half-inch-carbide-cup-wheel-66613.html

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

coathat posted:

The carbide cup wheel at harbor freight is one of their great tools. If you ever need to seriously shape some wood it's amazing and only ten bucks. http://t.harborfreight.com/power-tools/grinding-wheels-accessories/4-1-2-half-inch-carbide-cup-wheel-66613.html

Does this fall under the category of carcinogenic harbor freight abrasives to avoid, or is that just like their sandpaper and cutoff wheels?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I've got a 4" Makita, 5"/6" Milwaukee, 4.5" Metabo, and a cordless Makita 4.5".

The 4" gets a flapwheel, the 4.5 gets a fine stone, the 6" gets a coarse stone, and the cordless gets a cutoff for mobile use.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

I was thinking more something akin to a mini turbine or pump rather than a fan.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Spookydonut posted:

I was thinking more something akin to a mini turbine or pump rather than a fan.

You mean something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Home Depot has a few Makita's on sale right now:
http://www.homedepot.com/b/Featured-Products-Labor-Day-Tools-and-Hardware/Makita/N-5yc1vZcedgZyg

$100 for one of drill, driver, angle grinder, drill+driver combo (only 12V), or two batteries.

Most people here probably have a drill and driver already, but $100 for an angle grinder or a couple spare batteries isn't too bad, right?