Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some Tracer was getting pretty salty we didn't vote for her, which made me wonder if there had been a reward people were trying to get.

I also don't know why sometimes there's only 3 cards and other times there's like 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You get the knowledge that you're a better player + human being than everyone else (unless you voted for yourself)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pretty sure there's an achievement with a spray or icon reward for post match votes, but I don't recall off hand

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Panfilo posted:

But you gotta be careful where you hop in a fresh mech because it appears that all those frames of animation where the mech teleports to your position you are still obviously 'zero suit' D.Va; I've gotten killed many times when an enemy hit me in what must've been the very last frame of the animation.
Yeah you've gotta be aware of who's around you for the full 2 second animation; even if they don't kill dva the meka will start taking damage before you even get control. That said, dropping the mech on fools does something like 50 damage which is always fun when you're being harassed by a weak enemy :v:

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Suitaru posted:

Do you get a little bonus exp for getting 5 or 10 votes? I assumed you did but never paid attention to check.

No, you get nothing but a voice line and brighter border around your card.

NTRabbit posted:

Pretty sure there's an achievement with a spray or icon reward for post match votes, but I don't recall off hand

There's an achievement for getting 21 cards, but it has nothing to do with votes at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

voice line is kind of misleading, the game says epic or legendary or w/e when you hit 5 or 10 votes. you don't actually get anything for votes. no experience bonus, no unlocks for your heroes, nothing

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Edit: Whoops wrong thread

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

You guys weren't kidding, headphones + Dolby Atmos is amazing. It almost feels like hacks. I went from "there's a reaper walking somewhere vaguely on my right side" to "there's a reaper right loving there, about to come through that door". I've flashbanged multiple people before they even turn the corner :)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Rick posted:

I know they turned up the range of Mei's ult, but did they turn up the speed too? I played a match where we got five dropped on us over the last five minutes and OT, along with three in the rest of the match. Player ended up with 55 freezes. And it wasn't a stomp we were in the 90% until we got that one-per-minute barrage.

Sort of. In the Ana patch I believe they adjusted the way that ultimates charge by giving you ult charge for self-healing. So for example Soldier 76 gains ult charge when he stands in his biotic field and Roadhog gains ult charge from huffing a can. In most cases they tweaked these heroes' ult charge rates to compensate for this new addition, like Roadhog's ult charge got hit with like a 20% reduction or something which looks like a huge nerf until you take into account that a full self-heal of his raises his ult meter by 20% outright. In most cases the ults still charge at about the same rate give or take assuming the heroes in question are regularly using their self-healing methods as well as doing damage and/or healing others.

The exception is Mei. Her cryostasis ability is a self-heal but they didn't adjust her ult charge rate any. This was never really called out as a deliberate buff on her behalf but that's effectively what it was since it means that her ult charge rate is the same as it's always been, only now it goes up faster whenever she pops into her ice block to heal herself.

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

ToastyPotato posted:

So did they really make an auto filter for GG EZ but not slurs?

Yup. I guess if there were a filter you couldn't report people that use slurs, but do they actually do anything with reports? There doesn't seem to be a way to check on reports submitted in the game.

Semi-related: they don't give a gently caress about people putting the McCree noose spray on, like, my Lúcio cute spray. That's happened multiple times.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The filter for slurs ghouls just be a auto report to blizzard.

They should also not inform the person that they were revoked char privileges. Just let them yell slurs into a void no one can see.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I figured it couldn't hurt to play some competitive and earn some more competitive points, and then I lose 6-7 games in a row, getting 0 competitive points. Two games, I had top damage on Lucio on first rounds before swapping to Zen and trying to dps more to win. I know elims and some of those others doesn't mean much, but if my lmb spam is beating out our hanzo/genji or whatever, it feels bad.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Does anyone know what the list of filtered phrases are? I was wondering what was going on with all this "I'm dealing with some insecurity issues but thanks for playing with me" etc poo poo recently. Thought it was just a bunch of memers memeing their hearts out.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

It's just "gg ez" and some variations on that.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

MacheteZombie posted:

The filter for slurs should just be a auto report to blizzard.

They should also not inform the person that they were revoked chat privileges. Just let them yell slurs into a void no one can see.

Agree.

sunsweet posted:

Yup. I guess if there were a filter you couldn't report people that use slurs, but do they actually do anything with reports? There doesn't seem to be a way to check on reports submitted in the game.

Semi-related: they don't give a gently caress about people putting the McCree noose spray on, like, my Lúcio cute spray. That's happened multiple times.

I know they were considering adding some kind of confirmation that your report resulted in action, as some other games do already. I really hope this is something that is implemented. It would be nice to be able to suss out what is and isn't worth reporting based on the responses you receive.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Zikan posted:

It's just "gg ez" and some variations on that.

:psyduck: this is the same company that ran wow, and they don't have filtering for slurs?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grapplejack posted:

:psyduck: this is the same company that ran wow, and they don't have filtering for slurs?

They do.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Grapplejack posted:

there is a profanity filter that has a toggle in the options menu soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Grapplejack posted:

Slurs are filtered if you have the profanity filter on. "ggez" is made into fun phrases.

Star fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Sep 4, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

To be fair it's hard to imagine a worse slur than gg ez

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't hear a blind bit of difference with Atmos on with headphones. Does it require a special sound card or something? Sennheiser HD598SEs, pretty good headphones I thought.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Macaluso posted:

edit: What no you don't need two supports, idk what that dude is talking about. Two supports is obviously good but so is two of lots of things. You aren't gimping yourself by having only one healer

You are absolutely gimping yourself if you have only one healer.

e: Like the only thing that even comes close to "have two healers" in importance is "have at least one tank" and if I had to choose between two healers + no tank vs. one healer + a balanced team otherwise it would be a very difficult choice, leaning towards double healers.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 4, 2016

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Ciaphas posted:

I don't hear a blind bit of difference with Atmos on with headphones. Does it require a special sound card or something? Sennheiser HD598SEs, pretty good headphones I thought.

I just turned it on and loaded the practice range. I listened to the two red bots that shoot while they were both out of sight to one side. I could definitely tell the positional difference between them. Pretty impressive, though once I started playing I didn't really have time to appreciate the subtleties. Can't hurt though.

This is with a cheap pair of headphones and my mobo's on-board sound.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The most successful experiment in weird team compositions so far has been "guys, what if we had THREE healers?"

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

3 healers 3 tanks was doing pretty well in a recent tournament

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You are absolutely gimping yourself if you have only one healer.

e: Like the only thing that even comes close to "have two healers" in importance is "have at least one tank" and if I had to choose between two healers + no tank vs. one healer + a balanced team otherwise it would be a very difficult choice, leaning towards double healers.

Speaking only for myself, this has been my experience as well. Games where our team has only a single support feel like an uphill slog even if we win. It may not be strictly literally necessary as in "you're guaranteed a 100% loss rate without two supports" but just as in any game with various choices to be made some of those choices and approaches are more helpful than others, so you don't have to do it but you're denying yourself an advantage if you do it that way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's also something that's really easy to get right, compared to improving your aim or coordinating pushes or whatever. The effort : advantage ratio is pretty much unbeatable.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Man what's up with so many people hating on Hanzo. I pick him on defense and everyone starts yelling at me to change it for some reason, he's pretty fun to play

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

frajaq posted:

Man what's up with so many people hating on Hanzo. I pick him on defense and everyone starts yelling at me to change it for some reason, he's pretty fun to play

before the most recent patch, he was arguably the worst hero in the game

he's still pretty hard to play consistently for most people just by nature of the mechanics of the hero, and generally speaking hanzo promotes a kind of play that actively sabotages your team. he's like the antithesis of teamwork in the hands of 99% of the player base

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

frajaq posted:

The stereotype, with however much grain of truth you care to ascribe to it, is that the Typical Hanzo Player is the sort of guy who hangs back spamming arrows down a corridor and snagging the occasional headshot thanks to generous hitboxes and thinking he's hot poo poo, meanwhile they're nowhere near the objective and when things go downhill they start bitching out their team while holding up all their gold medals as some sign of personal excellence. The other side of the coin is that people hate playing against Hanzo because of the aforementioned spammed headshots and the occasional "oh okay I guess I'll get obliterated by this scatter arrow now." Currently you're seeing a resurgence in Hanzos because after the previous balance patch where they shrunk down projectile hitboxes effectively nerfed him pretty badly he's recently gotten several buffs and so everyone wants to play him again, it's the same reason why if you're like me you're seeing a Mei on every team.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

frajaq posted:

Hanzo does well on a Defense team that's already keeping the Attacking team at bay, where they're always far away, staggering in, and sonic arrows and his bullshit, across-the-map headshots can come into play. But if the attacking team coordinates and gets close, most Hanzos become irrelevant because he can't kill flankers and he does very little to contest payloads or control points (his ult can zone out the team, but most people have learned to avoid dying to it by now).

To use some clichéd terminology, Hanzo is a 'win harder' type character, but he rarely is the difference that turns a losing team into a winning team. Of course, there are pros like Seagull that challenge this, but that's the exception rather than the rule.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

I've had some fun playing Hanjo recently, but inevitably stray my way back to Rein.
Rein is my one true love and always will be.
Rein can pull of bullshit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSt6j0ipgBY

Mind you, this was in a game where we pretty much had a Rein vs DVA group going - but it doesn't make it any less fun.
All Rein is spectacular and could well be its own game-mode.

That aside, how do you folks play Ana? I've been trying to get a handle on her and she can be incredibly fun on a nice well paced offensive team but I tend to struggle with her on a defensive lineup unless it is already a stall. Doesn't help too that the people I naptime are immediately woken to resume their murder, but it feels nice interrupting someone's ult with the dart - especially Roadhog or Mcree.
The complaints made prior regarding her Ult targeting are rather true, too - I've Q'd a Mercy, or a naked DVA, many times when aiming at a more murderous team-mate. Not always to the best result - but once in a while the Mercy will take it in stride and go full pistol slaughter mode.

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 4, 2016

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Can I say that the way they buffed Mei was stupid? Because the way they buffed Mei was stupid.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

chumbler posted:

Can I say that the way they buffed Mei was stupid? Because the way they buffed Mei was stupid.

What, you didn't think what Mei needed was the ability to throw out a point-covering area denial ult every minute?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

chumbler posted:

It really was. I'm not the sort of person who wants ults to be removed from the game or something, but just buffing those feels like the most half assed and annoying way to make a character better. It doesn't make them more fun to play or more versatile, it just makes their occasional Q more of a clusterfuck. :geno:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Healing is a loving cancer in competitive video games

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Mei's ult is a nonlethal crowd controlling ability that you can escape, it needed the buff. It was complete hot garbage before

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

They even added mortal strike to the game to counteract it

I mean I get that dying is not fun but gently caress me running

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Ciaphas posted:

Healing is a loving cancer in competitive video games

On this and the discussion of Mei, buff Mei's Ice Block by giving it a small passive healing aura with a third of the healing Mei gets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Is Mercy considered super easy to play or something? I was having an awful time in competitive mode until last night when I started slam picking Mercy. I went on to win 5 games in a row, got 3 potgs, and after every game I got "great heals!", "awesome Mercy!", "thanks Mercy!" messages from my team. Did I just stumble upon a hero I'm naturally good with, or is she just easy to play? I'm so loving confused. I mean, she seems pretty self explanatory once you know how the maps and heroes work. The only thing that takes any skill at all is flying around with Pharah while charging her.