Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Lord Bude posted:

Do not disturb functionality is one of the two things that windows phone does better than iOS.

2000 Nokia phones did it a lot better than iOS too. I wish they'd copy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
A bunch of songs accidentally uploaded into Apple's iCloud Music thing. Is there a quick way to delete iCloud music that's on my phone? All I can find is to click the ... on every song/album/artist and click the Delete from My Music but that's going to take forever. I tried deleting from the Storage but I don't think these songs were downloaded onto my phone.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Use a computer?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Turn off iCloud music on your phone

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Happened today. Planned obsolescence!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft that phone was already obsolete.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

ManSedan posted:

I thought this just happened to me, but it was just the (glass) screen protector.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Michael Scott posted:

I still love Waze. A feature I love that no other app has is the speedometer. It's safer/easier for me to shift my eyes a few degrees to see my speed on my mounted phone than to stop looking at the road entirely to glance at my dash. It's invaluable when in a city with cameras that send you a ticket if you're over the speed limit. It also has speed/red light camera alerts, which has probably saved me a couple tickets so far.

Waze also has road speed limits now which is something that TomTom etc. used to have but Apple/Google never bothered with.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ManSedan posted:

:rip: the best iPhone model :rip:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

EL BROMANCE posted:

Might be new in 10, but I can do this without a problem. Pinch/zoom and move the map around and then there's a location button that pops up to take you back to where you are.
Yeah I think they might've highlighted that too when they showed iOS 10 (or on some feature list), I just remember being happy that they finally changed that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

:rip: the best iPhone model :rip:

That isn't a 4S

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is there still no way to create a contacts group in iOS :psyduck:

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

How to create a "group": Start a new message with all the contacts from your desired group. Now that message will always be there for you to use to message the group unless you delete it. What's the problem creating a group would solve?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Pertplus posted:

How to create a "group": Start a new message with all the contacts from your desired group. Now that message will always be there for you to use to message the group unless you delete it. What's the problem creating a group would solve?
If you have a bunch of contacts and want to sort them into groups, like folders. It's for organization, nothing to do with group messaging.

(Alternatively you could put something in the notes field or wherever in the contact then use search to filter down to that "group")

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I just opened the Contacts app and up in the top left corner is the button for groups.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah but you can't create a new one from iOS

Pertplus
Nov 7, 2009

edit: nm

Pertplus fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Sep 4, 2016

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
You can create them on the iCloud website. Not ideal I guess but how often are you gonna be making contact groups? I'm guessing not very.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sorry if this comes up a lot but I'm several thousand posts behind...

I did the 1 year Next upgrade thing with my iPhone 6s. At launch last year. I'm eligible. I did the whole process through Apple site. Does anyone know how the handover process works and if I can still work with Apple for my preorder?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
And in a related post:

Is the iPhone Upgrade Program worth doing, or is it some kind of elaborate money-grab that I'm not smart enough to understand? The wife and I have been iphone owners since the 4 came out, so a program like this makes sense to me on paper... I guess the downside is that I don't own the phone? I like the idea of having a service plan baked into it as well, especially since I have small children and my phones inevitably get broken at least once per upgrade cycle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
You pay a little more ( I think it's like 80 bucks? Thereabouts?)

You turn it in and get a new one and start the cycle anew. If you are hung up (Phone puns!!!) on "owning" it, what exactly would you want to do with it?

As an example, last year I could have turned mine in to AT&T but instead I sold it on Craigslist for 100 more than I had to buy it off if AT&T for...

I've never felt like this wasn't my phone. The upshot being I can get the newest one every year.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't know the intricacies of Apple's program, but I do AT&T Next which seems like the same thing.

I signed up for Next 12 (12, 18, 24 are their options, I think) and with 12, I pay an extra $35 per month for my phone itself. Then, when I do 12 payments, I can give it to AT&T and then just pay tax on the next phone I get and then start a new $xx per month plan - like Next 12, 18, or 24. Since i've only paid 11 of the 12, I can pay the 12th now and then turn it in, but even if I had only paid 6, I can pay the remaining 6 and do the same thing etc etc.

Then they have the option to pay off the phone, which is what I'm going to do. If I pay it off, I can sell the phone unlocked or not for like $600 and then pay it off for about $350 and pocket the $250. The tax on the new phone is probably something like $50 or so, so I'll come out with $200 extra dollars. Of course, int he long run, it's being used for the phone, but it seems a decent deal.

I'm assuming with Apple's plan, you can pay it off or pay the next installment, but you have to give them the phone and all that jazz. You also get Applecare with it, which is nice, but Applecare doesn't make that much sense in the scheme of how much it is to replace a phone's screen etc.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Dubstep Jesus posted:

You can create them on the iCloud website. Not ideal I guess but how often are you gonna be making contact groups? I'm guessing not very.
The issue I've had isn't so much creating them (cause yeah you only do it so many times), it's that you can't add/move people in and out of said groups. I thought at some point you could at least assign them with a new contact but I'm probably misremembering, cause it doesn't seem to be the case currently.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
Can you guys tell me how difficult it is to get the new iPhone on launch date (or a day or two after)? My friend is visiting New York City next week and she figures if it is released in mid-September as they say it will she probably have a chance to pick it up. She flies back on the 23rd so she won't have too long to wait for it.

I think I've read waiting in line is no longer a thing? Can she just walk up to an Apple Store and buy one? We've never actually bought one in America so I don't know how this works. She may or may not have an address in NYC where she can receive mail, if it matters.

tldr: what is the least effort way to buy the iphone in New York ASAP?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Feenix posted:

You pay a little more ( I think it's like 80 bucks? Thereabouts?)
No. The total price is cost if the phone plus AppleCare+

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

And in a related post:

Is the iPhone Upgrade Program worth doing, or is it some kind of elaborate money-grab that I'm not smart enough to understand? The wife and I have been iphone owners since the 4 came out, so a program like this makes sense to me on paper... I guess the downside is that I don't own the phone? I like the idea of having a service plan baked into it as well, especially since I have small children and my phones inevitably get broken at least once per upgrade cycle.

The downside is the next new phone might not be worth the upgrade, at which point other options may have been cheaper.
If I'd bought into that scheme I'd have been pretty miffed if the 7 lacked features I wanted, removed features or failed to integrate other features common in the industry, which is what will seemingly happen, depending on your POV.

It's absolutely a scheme to ensure people upgrade and it's no coincidence it was launched at a time where phone development itself is stagnating, with no wonder-features to pull people into the new ones otherwise.
It still makes sense if you know handsets only last you a year for some reason.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

nervana posted:

Can you guys tell me how difficult it is to get the new iPhone on launch date (or a day or two after)? My friend is visiting New York City next week and she figures if it is released in mid-September as they say it will she probably have a chance to pick it up. She flies back on the 23rd so she won't have too long to wait for it.

I think I've read waiting in line is no longer a thing? Can she just walk up to an Apple Store and buy one? We've never actually bought one in America so I don't know how this works. She may or may not have an address in NYC where she can receive mail, if it matters.

tldr: what is the least effort way to buy the iphone in New York ASAP?

Silly people spend hours lining up at apple stores to buy one on launch day. Smart people preorder online and have it delivered to their front door on launch day (with the minor inconvenience (for me at least) of having to be awake before midday to receive delivery)

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
While we are on the subject of the upgrade plan, I am NOT on it but want to be. Is there a way to do that with preordering the phone whenever they go on sale or am I gonna have to wait till they can be found in stores?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Khablam posted:

The downside is the next new phone might not be worth the upgrade, at which point other options may have been cheaper.
If I'd bought into that scheme I'd have been pretty miffed if the 7 lacked features I wanted, removed features or failed to integrate other features common in the industry, which is what will seemingly happen, depending on your POV.

It's absolutely a scheme to ensure people upgrade and it's no coincidence it was launched at a time where phone development itself is stagnating, with no wonder-features to pull people into the new ones otherwise.
It still makes sense if you know handsets only last you a year for some reason.

How is not wanting the next phone a downside? It means you continue to make the same payment until the following phone comes out and then you get to keep the phone you liked. They only take your phone if you choose to upgrade before making all the payments. It's no different than paying for it outright at launch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Rubiks Pubes posted:

While we are on the subject of the upgrade plan, I am NOT on it but want to be. Is there a way to do that with preordering the phone whenever they go on sale or am I gonna have to wait till they can be found in stores?

If you set up an in store pickup you can do it no problem, just mention you want to be on the upgrade plan when you show up.

Not sure on preorders though.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

How is not wanting the next phone a downside? It means you continue to make the same payment until the following phone comes out and then you get to keep the phone you liked. They only take your phone if you choose to upgrade before making all the payments. It's no different than paying for it outright at launch.

I said 'other options might be cheaper' :

- selling the handset and migrating to android, probably the biggest thing the upgrade plan seeks to block
- keeping the handset you otherwise bought up front WITHOUT AC+, most CC companies give equivalent insurance so buying outright on CC could save you this money

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Literally every insurance policy outside of Applecare sucks major rear end.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got my SE through the Apple Upgrade Program without AppleCare so that's not a big deal and there's nothing stopping you from buying an Android or whatever from your carrier, selling the iPhone and paying off the loan afterward.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I'm a lazy dumb-dumb and can't be bothered to figure out all of the different payment plan options offered these days so I'll just buy my next phone outright because it's the least confusing to me. As best as I can tell, the only payment plan that was actually incentivized for me was when Verizon gave a line discount for Edge customers.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Silly people spend hours lining up at apple stores to buy one on launch day. Smart people preorder online and have it delivered to their front door on launch day (with the minor inconvenience (for me at least) of having to be awake before midday to receive delivery)

Going on what's happened with the last couple phones, would she be able to buy from the store on day 2 or 3 without much hassle? If she can get an address can she be guaranteed it will arrive on launch day (or the day after)?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

nervana posted:

Going on what's happened with the last couple phones, would she be able to buy from the store on day 2 or 3 without much hassle? If she can get an address can she be guaranteed it will arrive on launch day (or the day after)?

Nowadays, you can buy on day one with no hassle. Your Apple store will inevitably be crowded, but your nearest carrier store, I guarantee, will not be. I went to the AT&T store fifteen minutes after it opened and it had no line at all and over 100 units to sell. In and out in like 20 minutes given I had to sign up for AT&T Next and pay off a phone.

nervana
Dec 9, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

Nowadays, you can buy on day one with no hassle. Your Apple store will inevitably be crowded, but your nearest carrier store, I guarantee, will not be. I went to the AT&T store fifteen minutes after it opened and it had no line at all and over 100 units to sell. In and out in like 20 minutes given I had to sign up for AT&T Next and pay off a phone.

I assume carrier shops require you to buy a plan though right? We don't live in the States so this isn't an option. I'll tell her it should be no problem to buy one within a couple days of release at the Apple Store (right?) No hour long waits?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I have no idea on either front. The carrier store will probably sell you a phone sans carrier for full price with no problem though, yeah. I only know how it is in the US though. But even on launch day, there shouldn't be hour long waits. The wait at the Apple Store for the 6S was about 20 people long and I debated waiting, but with the preorder, I had a time slot and the dude told me to come back. Instead, I saw the AT&T store and just did that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Everyone giving you advice neglects to impart one important piece of info:

Where they are.

Major metro area? Bum gently caress nowheresville? Is the major city a tech city like SF? Is it saturated with carrier stores and Apple Stores?

Any one of these factors will affect individual results.

Every launch day you get equal parts "I waited for 4 hours and it was sold out!" And "I walked right in and was done in 10 min."

The truth is no one can really tell you if it's gonna be tough or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I live in the fourth wealthiest city in America. :agesilaus: