Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Monkey Fracas posted:

Yeah I'm sitting up in northern Illinois here (like basically in Wisconsin) and I'm not sure whether to get more "performance" oriented winter tires or if it doesn't make a difference. Either way need some since the car came with summer tires- not like I would want it any other way, though...

The X-Ices aren't that performance oriented but really, winter time is not when I am wringing the car out. I went -1 on my 2013. It's hilarious because the car is so undertired on dry pavement it will just gradually slide out in a mild four wheel drift at the slightest provcation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Blarg my mountune parts arent showing up til Tuesday, fuckin fedex ground. Was hoping to install them this weekend. FiST guys, when did you do your first oil change? I just turned 1k.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
I am pleased to report that the Hawk DTC-30s have both solved and not-solved my brake-lsd problem. Solved because the pad/disk doesn't overheat so easily, not-solved because the higher initial torque of the DTC-30s means that the VDC kicking on is like dropping a loving anchor. The car goes from "I'm giving it all I've got" to actually slowing down until it kicks off again.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

PaintVagrant posted:

Blarg my mountune parts arent showing up til Tuesday, fuckin fedex ground. Was hoping to install them this weekend. FiST guys, when did you do your first oil change? I just turned 1k.

I have a Focus but I just did it when the manual said to, which is when my car tells me to (or 10,000 miles, or 1 year whichever comes first.)

Some of my mechanic friends cried crocodile tears about me not doing an oil change after some really short break-in period.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
It is generally preferred to do your first oil change immediately after break-in, because the break-in process results in a significantly increased amount of junk in the oil.

Will it hurt anything to run out to the first normally scheduled oil change? Probably not. Does it cut down on early wear to do the first change early? Probably.

Your call, but it's not like oil changes are expensive.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

wolrah posted:

It is generally preferred to do your first oil change immediately after break-in, because the break-in process results in a significantly increased amount of junk in the oil.

Will it hurt anything to run out to the first normally scheduled oil change? Probably not. Does it cut down on early wear to do the first change early? Probably.

Your call, but it's not like oil changes are expensive.

I go by what the manual tells me to do.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I was considering doing it this weekend, dump the break in oil and fill it with castrol edge and a ford filter.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I don't think you have break in oil in the car right now. Unless that's what you're calling the fill of oil it has from the dealership. It's just proper oil.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Yeah I just meant the oil I did the break in with, not true break in oil.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Speaking of oil changes/etc, where are you guys putting your jack stands? Right on the pinch weld? I went on the forums looking for an answer and its just about a billion 17 year olds climbing under their cars while lifted on just a jack.

every FWD car I have owned has had a front subframe jack mount that is right up front under the nose of the car, this one doesnt. While I appreciate never having to try to work around that, it is confusing my small brain as far as getting the car jacked up properly.

PaintVagrant fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 3, 2016

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Ramps.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

PaintVagrant posted:

Speaking of oil changes/etc, where are you guys putting your jack stands? Right on the pinch weld? I went on the forums looking for an answer and its just about a billion 17 year olds climbing under their cars while lifted on just a jack.

every FWD car I have owned has had a front subframe jack mount that is right up front under the nose of the car, this one doesnt. While I appreciate never having to try to work around that, it is confusing my small brain as far as getting the car jacked up properly.

Put the jack on the pinch weld by the front jacking point. Put the front stand on the chassis by the rear subframe mount. It's just inboard and a little forward from the jacking point. Once the front is up, put the jack in the middle of the torsion beam and lift the whole rear end. I put the stands under the shock mounts so the wheels stay up.

For oil changes, ramps are way easier/safer. The air dam just barely clears.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

The FiST is a pain in the rear end to jack up because it doesn't have a good dedicated front and rear point to lift up an entire end at once. I used my jack next to the punch weld and a jack stand directly on the pinch weld factory jacking point until I replaced my jack with a Bendpak quickjack portable lift that lifts the whole car in one go.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

oxbrain posted:

Put the jack on the pinch weld by the front jacking point. Put the front stand on the chassis by the rear subframe mount. It's just inboard and a little forward from the jacking point. Once the front is up, put the jack in the middle of the torsion beam and lift the whole rear end. I put the stands under the shock mounts so the wheels stay up.

For oil changes, ramps are way easier/safer. The air dam just barely clears.

I made my own because the old GLI was super low with the lip. multiple 2x6 or 2x8 boards works great.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

GutBomb posted:

The FiST is a pain in the rear end to jack up because it doesn't have a good dedicated front and rear point to lift up an entire end at once. I used my jack next to the punch weld and a jack stand directly on the pinch weld factory jacking point until I replaced my jack with a Bendpak quickjack portable lift that lifts the whole car in one go.

How do you like the quickjack? Any complaints about it? How stable is it compared to jack stands?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

oxbrain posted:

How do you like the quickjack? Any complaints about it? How stable is it compared to jack stands?

I love it and it's super stable. I've used it for swapping winter and summer wheels, swapped out an exhaust, oil changes, etc. It's my favorite tool I've ever bought. There's enough room to do pretty much anything I want to do myself. It lifts about 2 feet and I've never felt nervous about being under the car. After you lift it you lower some support beams so the car is supported by the whole structure of the quickjack, rather than the hydraulics.

I tried to push the car off the lifts the first time I used it and it was rock solid.

It works well for the miata and the Fiesta. Haven't tried the jetta because it's so close to the 3500lb weight limit and just use ramps for that one to change oil and haven't had to change the tires yet.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Sep 4, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I've got a set of rhino ramps but the clearance looks VERY tight. Didn't have the balls to try it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

PaintVagrant posted:

I've got a set of rhino ramps but the clearance looks VERY tight. Didn't have the balls to try it.

I can roll the Miata up on mine with no trouble but I'd tear the bumper off the MS6 if i tried to get it up and down them.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

GutBomb posted:

3500lb weight limit

God drat it was going to order one for the RS based on your praise.

Edit: they have a 5k lbs one! May order this along with my winter wheels and tires.

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Sep 4, 2016

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

PaintVagrant posted:

2x6 stair step in front with two pieces or concrete paver to angle it type thing

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Christobevii3 posted:

2x6 stair step in front with two pieces or concrete paver to angle it type thing

I always just laid a 2x4 in front of each ramp with my MS3. Just enough height to get the air dam clear of the ramps.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

KidDynamite posted:

God drat it was going to order one for the RS based on your praise.

Edit: they have a 5k lbs one! May order this along with my winter wheels and tires.

Watch out, the 5000 pound one is bigger. make sure it will fit between your wheels. The miata wouldn't fit so I got the 3500 pound one.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
It begins!

http://jalopnik.com/watch-this-ford-focus-rs-driver-drift-mode-his-car-into-1786210325

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
I sold this Miata a couple weeks back and managed to get it on the back of the new owners uhaul trailer in about 40min using only a few random pieces of wood that were around and a new owner with balls of steel...only damage in the end was a lil scrape in the overcoating on the passenger side pinch weld section iirc - not bad considering even when on top of the wood it was millimeters away from getting stuck like a ship on a shoal

impossible is nothing

Mariana Horchata fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 6, 2016

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Installed my mountune quick shifter plate. Works great, total horseshit install. Awful.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

PaintVagrant posted:

Installed my mountune quick shifter plate. Works great, total horseshit install. Awful.

On the FoST I purposely went with the FSWERKS plate so I didn't have to take the shift weight off- there's a major PITA roll pin holding the thing on. Plate as installed does a 30% reduction in throw and feels great.

Assume process is a bit different on the FiST.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
That. loving. Roll pin.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

There's a pin, and the mountune one mounts a plate on it with a new ball to mount the shift cable on. The plate mounts with 2 set screws with tiny Allen heads, and a bolt that screws into the old pin hole....from the bottom. 1/4 turns on a blind Allen wrench. loving kill me

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

All that being said, now that it's installed it loving rules. The shifter feel is close to my old solid bushing civic now, pretty short throws and feels a little more mechanical. Definitely a big improvement, shifter and clutch feel are terrible on the stock FiST. I'm pretty happy with it!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just curious, how is insurance on the ST models?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

PaintVagrant posted:

All that being said, now that it's installed it loving rules. The shifter feel is close to my old solid bushing civic now, pretty short throws and feels a little more mechanical. Definitely a big improvement, shifter and clutch feel are terrible on the stock FiST. I'm pretty happy with it!

I actually think the shifter feels pretty good, it's just 2 inches too far forward to be comfortable. The clutch is another story though. No feel at all. I end up stalling it once in a while after driving the miata more often.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

iwentdoodie posted:

Not bad but not great in New Orleans area, partly why i went with the Veloster Turbo and the turning radius. My 350z is rape still.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

iwentdoodie posted:

It was slightly more (5%?) than my 1-series.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It was slightly more (5%?) than my 1-series.

Same year? Just being newer would account for that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

veedubfreak posted:

Same year? Just being newer would account for that.

Equivalent ages when I owned the cars - I had the 1 from new, and the FoST from new. The 1 was also slightly more expensive (12%?), so on balance the risk factors for the FoST were higher.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

My fist is dirt cheap to insure. Insurance card calls it "fiesta station wagon" :lol:

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"
Side swipped a goddamn orange construction barrel. The FiST uses the same side mirrors as a base model, yeah? I only lost the cover and the mirror, but I am told with power mirrors you have to replace the whole assembly

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Dr.Caligari posted:

Side swipped a goddamn orange construction barrel. The FiST uses the same side mirrors as a base model, yeah? I only lost the cover and the mirror, but I am told with power mirrors you have to replace the whole assembly

Oh please say you were texting.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

My fist is dirt cheap to insure. Insurance card calls it "fiesta station wagon" :lol:

$400/6mo here to insure my "Ford Fiesta 4D"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Yeah both companies I have gone with just consider the ST a trim package on the cheapo fiesta so it's insured at the same rate as a regular fiesta. The focus st is considered a separate car from the focus so it's rates are higher. I have no idea why but both liberty mutual and geico are like that.

Insuring the miata and fiesta in a high theft area with no deductible and better than average coverage is costing me $110 per month.