Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Pinterest Mom posted:

Congratulations, Microsoft :)

hmm, i still don't feel like playing the game.

are there any good streamers or let's plays for solitaire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Thread should have this javascript embedded

http://mrdoob.com/lab/javascript/effects/solitaire/

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
sorry, Eric's Ultimate Solitaire > Microsoft Solitaire

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

error1 posted:

Thread should have this javascript embedded

http://mrdoob.com/lab/javascript/effects/solitaire/

mods

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
fun fact: if you embed links to an excel table in a word document, word loads the linked file separately for each linked table.

20 linked tables? word loads excel 20 times before displaying the document!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

infernal machines posted:

fun fact: if you embed links to an excel table in a word document, word loads the linked file separately for each linked table.

excel still doesn't let you have brackets in your file name

you can manually put them in there but you can't save them and a bracketed title is converted to parenthesis

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
that at least makes some kind of sense, since it would completely break the ability to link to the file as an external data source.

usually they just let you do that and fail with a nonsensical error message

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

afaik, Word has no way of knowing that its the same file 20 times

from Word's perspective its a CLSID and an opaque blob of data

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

oddly, this was not an issue before the introduction of the xml format, and even now, if you use the old binary format it will only load the linked file once.

it's been a known issue for a decade and the "solution" is to write a macro into your word doc that loads the excel data into an array and then uses that to populate the tables, because the office team is a huge fan of rube goldberg or something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

afaik, Word has no way of knowing that its the same file 20 times

from Word's perspective its a CLSID and an opaque blob of data
i think there's a way to tell word "ok look at this one excel file and pull these 20 ranges" but doing an import 20 times probably won't accomplish that

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
olé!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

anthonypants posted:

i think there's a way to tell word "ok look at this one excel file and pull these 20 ranges" but doing an import 20 times probably won't accomplish that

the "solution" is to write a macro into your word doc that loads the excel data into an array and then uses that to populate the tables, because the office team is a huge fan of rube goldberg or something

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

is anyone here using onedrive next generation sync and is it any better than the original trash

(for business)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

is anyone here using onedrive next generation sync and is it any better than the original trash

(for business)
how do you even tell if you have the onedrive for business next generation sync client for windows

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well you see the onedrive client now includes the onedrive for business client, unless you actually want to be able to connect to onedrive for business (sharepoint), in which case you need the onedrive for business (2013) client, which is part of office 365 (2013 edition) and nothing else

i wish i was joking

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I don't know which one drive for business I have at work but it works fine.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
onedrive: the next generation

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

more like onedrive: voyager, am i right?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
if you go into bash on windows 10 and get a permission denied error it surrounds the filename with weird quote marks instead of normal ones

these are the quote marks it uses: ‘file’
but on the interpreter it looks like this:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax
windows is garbage, what else is new

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

the locale is some flavor of UTF-8 but the console doesn't actually support (or isn't configured for) UTF-8

oh, and this is because gnulib (and by extension coreutils) uses smart quotes instead of quotes that can be parsed by bash because everyone involved in the GNU project is a moron

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 2, 2016

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pseudorandom name posted:

the locale is some flavor of UTF-8 but the console doesn't actually support (or isn't configured for) UTF-8

oh, and this is because gnulib (and by extension coreutils) uses smart quotes instead of quotes that can be parsed by bash because everyone involved in the GNU project is a moron
it was actually the font ("Raster Fonts") that doesn't support utf-8

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

anthonypants posted:

that doesn't make any sense at all, but I'll take your word for it

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Microsoft Windows is free software

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
it's v worthless yes

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

well you see the onedrive client now includes the onedrive for business client, unless you actually want to be able to connect to onedrive for business (sharepoint), in which case you need the onedrive for business (2013) client, which is part of office 365 (2013 edition) and nothing else

i wish i was joking

yeah :(

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
my computer now has installed onenote and onenote 2016, which have similar functionality but one is a windows store app and one is part of moffice. guess which is which

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

my desktop computer installed a windows update which gave it a stop error on bootup (CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED) and restarted automatically, and this time i couldn't fix it by choosing "return to previous build" in startup repair because whenever I tried it claimed I didn't have any administrator accounts

several hours later I'm now waiting for the contents of my SSD to copy over to my hard drive so I can convert it from MBR to GPT so I can install windows on it again?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

anyway thanks microsoft for loving me remotely

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
The most recent fast ring update failed but restored the precious state without issue for me.

Yay.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip:
make a menu.bat that echoes out the needed commands for like doom and cmdr keen etc

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

They are probably breaking stuff on purpose by now in a desperate attempt to sell you a Surface :haw:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

error1 posted:

They are probably breaking stuff on purpose by now in a desperate attempt to sell you a Surface :haw:

but i already have a thinkpad x220 tablet, it's exactly the same thing

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

are you claiming that when the windows terminal sees a unicode character that isn't in the active font, its response is to say gently caress it we'll just reinterpret the encoding using the active code page and render that

because that would be hilarious

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

rjmccall posted:

are you claiming that when the windows terminal sees a unicode character that isn't in the active font, its response is to say gently caress it we'll just reinterpret the encoding using the active code page and render that

because that would be hilarious
what does your heart tell you

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

atomicthumbs posted:

anyway thanks microsoft for loving me remotely

why would you be using mbr in tyool 2016

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Chris Knight posted:

why would you be using mbr in tyool 2016

youre hdding it wrong

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yo' partition table look like a dishrag

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

maniacdevnull posted:

What's worse is that it doesn't detect where the text box is, so the on screen keyboard frequently pops up over what you were typing in, and it always covers the taskbar. Contrast with ios and android where it knows the keyboard is there on the screen and resizes and moves everything, guess that was too much to ask for from msft.

the worse thing still is that neither this or the lack of the keyboard popping up on selecting a text field is necessary, both pieces of functionality are in windows 10 non-obvious and bound up in other things

to get the keyboard to pop up you need to be in tablet mode (toggle in activity center, does a bunch of other things), to get stuff to move out of the way you need to switch the keyboard from floating to docked (top right iirc)

not much use having the features if no one finds then though. except to make the guy going on about pixel janitoring look stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i love janitoring my pixels

just cleaning up 1279,456

had a speck on it

• Locked thread