Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I used to play a ton of EUIV but stopped playing a little before estates were added. With the sale I'm thinking of picking up the two expansions I'm missing, but HOI4 also looks good. Which of the two should I get?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

130 hours on record being considered wasting your life on video games seems a little quaint in the Paradox thread.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Baron Corbyn posted:

130 hours on record being considered wasting your life on video games seems a little quaint in the Paradox thread.
Played time in Paradox games is not that comparable with the same in an FPS, given that you can play the game, watch a movie, and work at the same time.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Played time in Paradox games is not that comparable with the same in an FPS, given that you can play the game, watch a movie, and work at the same time.

Yeah, fair enough but still TF2 has been out a while and I think his 130 hours on that is pretty comparable to my 700 on CK2.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Nerd shaming other nerds about spending time playing video games when you're a gaming nerd yourself is just about the dumbest thing you can possibly do.

Also TF2 is like 9 years old and is an incredibly replayable game that has received hundreds of updates, wtf.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
If it ain't Counter Strike it ain't worth playin :colbert:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

No one can top this, both in terms of hours played and silliness of the game in question

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I raise you a game where you can eat your son at a banquet and marry a horse

My EU3 hours though is somewhere like 3 000 hours but that was before Steam.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

I don't have a problem I swear. :ohdear:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Apparently I need to step up my game. Pun unintended.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't have a problem I swear. :ohdear:

You've played roughly about 4 hours of Hearts of Iron every day since the game was released.
Nice

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, I was about to say 229 hours was pitiful, then I looked at the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

I raise you a game where you can eat your son at a banquet and marry a horse

My EU3 hours though is somewhere like 3 000 hours but that was before Steam.

Scrubs

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Star posted:

Scrubs

If you gonna be like dat

On Steam alone I have enough time to cover two years of 8 hours a day.
That's without counting the copies I don't have on Steam (EU3 and Vicky2), counting those hours together I reach something like 10k hours.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 4, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Your Paradox playtimes don't count because you work on the games. :colbert:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

YF-23 posted:

Your Paradox playtimes don't count because you work on the games. :colbert:

So that's why people say "Paradox doesn't play their own games" since our play time doesn't count? :smith:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

That EU3 time is probably less than half my actual playtime.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

drat, you got me beat

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does that mean I get your job?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

This isn't Highlander

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
:argh:

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
You've probably manipulated your stats just to look cool and be able to talk down to us lowly players, you paradox thug

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
If that was the case I'd put the best Paradox game at the top instead of the bottom ;)

Edit: I guess that probably wasn't aimed at me, but I just wanted to clarify that V2 is the best game.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Well I don't know but wouldn't the one you've played the most be the "best game"? Unless you are referring to any of the recent releases where you haven't had enough time yet to accumulate enough play time.
Edit: I mean V2 is the best game, but at least I have more playtime in V2 than I have in EU4 or CK2 to back my claim ;)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Groogy posted:

Well I don't know but wouldn't the one you've played the most be the "best game"? Unless you are referring to any of the recent releases where you haven't had enough time yet to accumulate enough play time.
I mean V2 is the best game, but at least I have more playtime in V2 than I have in EU4 or CK2 to back my claim :P

V2 gives me fierce elbow/wrist/arm pains after a short time playing, so sadly I can't give it the attention it deserves.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Victoria 2 epitomises the concept of a "flawed gem" more so than any other game I've ever played.

e: I love it but also sort of hate it??

I'd really like to see Victoria 3.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

You should play it in MP, especially with the beta patch where me, podcat and wiz fixed a bunch of issues. It's really great only important thing when setting up the group to play with is that you put the biggest douche in Great Britain. It is vital.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Groogy posted:

You should play it in MP, especially with the beta patch where me, podcat and wiz fixed a bunch of issues. It's really great only important thing when setting up the group to play with is that you put the biggest douche in Great Britain. It is vital.

I've played with the beta patch since it came out and it's really good.

It doesn't really fix the fundamental problems with the economy and needs system, though. I don't that's something any amount of patching could solve.

Vic2 MP is fun, but I've never got to play with bigger groups, which seems like it could be fun.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Most of these massive playtimes are caused by leaving the game running alt-tabbed. Like, I have 10 hours of dota play time for every match I've ever played. So accounting for time spent playing dolly dress up with Crystal Maiden and Earth Shaker (muh waifu), thats like only half of the time listed actually being spent on the game.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Groogy posted:

Is is stable with the beta patch? I love V2 and have probably put in more hours into it than eu4, but that was before Steam's time, and would love to play it in multi. I've avoided it, though, since I always thought it would desync and stuff.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

It doesn't really fix the fundamental problems with the economy and needs system, though. I don't that's something any amount of patching could solve.

The needs system in V2 is brilliant, it essentially makes every single pop the most peckish child ever. "Oh I got fish, I got grain, fruit and cattle. But I am missing 0.2 wool. gently caress YOU I WOULD RATHER STARVE!"

Star posted:

Is is stable with the beta patch? I love V2 and have probably put in more hours into it than eu4, but that was before Steam's time, and would love to play it in multi. I've avoided it, though, since I always thought it would desync and stuff.

Yes I fixed some OOS problems, like the disappearing units when you put them on ships and so on. Also borderless window mode.
edit: There are some goons here I've played Vicky2 MP, they once asked me to take over Great Britain when I was drunk and this conversation happened(if I remember correctly):

quote:

Me: Oy France
France: What's up Groogy?
Me: You colonizing Africa mate?
France: Yeah?
Me: Did you ask me for permission?
France: No?
Me: I got my eyes on you :stare:
Me to Greece: You can't trust the French, you have to keep them on a leash
France: ...

You should ask to join them, they're great peeps.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 4, 2016

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
When you're done with the vanilla experience i recommend this, although the modding scene is pretty much dead now:

https://github.com/Victoria2CoE/concert-of-europe/tree/Development

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
hoi3

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

whoa

anti-AI prejudice out of nowhere

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

This guy seems like a fair and reasonable dude.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

ThaumPenguin posted:

This guy seems like a fair and reasonable dude.

He plays HoI and has Goebbels as his avatar. That probably already should have clued you in.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

TheMcD posted:

He plays HoI and has Goebbels as his avatar. That probably already should have clued you in.

Why do you think I went to check.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
To be fair, if Hitler is your benchmark for good strategic sense, you're going to be easily impressed.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I had been wondering why he automatically assumed I meant my own troops when I said the nazi ai was bad and now I know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To be fair, if Hitler is your benchmark for good strategic sense, you're going to be easily impressed.

Historians have come around on quite a few things, saying they were good ideas at the time.