Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
Just saw someone had named their kid Eadweard. I think that takes the cake for weird misspellings of common first names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

cyberia posted:

Just saw someone had named their kid Eadweard. I think that takes the cake for weird misspellings of common first names.

This is a perfectly normal Anglo-Saxon name... like, literally, 10th century. Do the folks in question have any particularly strong feelings about "White" people?

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Winter Stormer posted:

This is a perfectly normal Anglo-Saxon name... like, literally, 10th century. Do the folks in question have any particularly strong feelings about "White" people?

I don't know, unfortunately. The name was just on an application form I was processing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Some kid who works at the grocery store is named Bridger.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Winter Stormer posted:

It could also be that they're from San Francisco or Kingston-upon-Thames and therefore huge fans of the father of the moving image, Eadweard Muybridge.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

ookiimarukochan posted:

It could also be that they're from San Francisco or Kingston-upon-Thames and therefore huge fans of the father of the moving image, Eadweard Muybridge.

Who was named Edward by his parents and changed it for some reason.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

stubblyhead posted:

Some kid who works at the grocery store is named Bridger.

Either they're a huge fan of noted early mountain man Jim Bridger, or their parents were big undersea-sci-fi geeks.

I loving love seaQuest and I will fight about it

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~
There are a few interesting names on my dorm floor at school.

Kyele (pronounced like Kyle, I've never seen it spelt like that), En, Sundance and Atlas.

Only one of these is an international student.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Does Sundance have siblings named Butch and/or Cassidy?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Who was named Edward by his parents and changed it for some reason.

Probably because he was weard.

CatStacking
Jan 9, 2010

~A Purely Preposterous Pussy~

stubblyhead posted:

Does Sundance have siblings named Butch and/or Cassidy?

Nah but he DOES go by Sunny. So there's that.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Today I worked with a little girl named Timberland. I didn't ask her to spell it, so it might have been Timbaland...

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

New year, new English names:

Fay
Jerry
Lucky
Faker

Jim
Leo
Momo (Although, to be fair, she said she wanted her English name to be "Peach" but knew it would sound weird in English, so she chose the Japanese word/name [?])
Tammy
E
Anch

I asked Anch if I was pronouncing his name correctly and he said he didn't know. Yikes.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Anch as in anchor, or anchovy?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Anch as in anchor, or anchovy?

I said it as in "anchovy"; we've told him to change it to a real name and if he doesn't comply, then he'll be Anchovy for the rest of year.

NOTE: The English names rule is not my rule, but it is really helpful as one of our students' Chinese name means "gently caress" if you get the tones wrong.

EDIT: E has become Eeason. Not a typo. Anch apparently rhymes with "conch." I foresee an interesting year!

Fleta Mcgurn has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Sep 2, 2016

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

bringmyfishback posted:

New year, new English names:
Faker

Faker is a South Korean professional League of Legends player.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

bringmyfishback posted:

NOTE: The English names rule is not my rule, but it is really helpful as one of our students' Chinese name means "gently caress" if you get the tones wrong.

Cao or gan?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

What does updating the spelling to Austain improve over the original?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

TheKennedys posted:

Either they're a huge fan of noted early mountain man Jim Bridger, or their parents were big undersea-sci-fi geeks.

Maybe they just really liked to play Lemmings. Does he have siblings called Blocker and Digger?

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

What does updating the spelling to Austain improve over the original?

The chances of getting nicknamed Shitstain.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Cao.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

stubblyhead posted:

Drew Brees, quarterback for the New Orleans Saints, has four children. Their names are Baylen, Bowen, Callen, and Rylen.

Megyn Kelly's kids are Yates, Yeardly, and Thatcher

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Yeardly? named after the lady who plays Lisa Simpson?

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I had a customer the other day whos name was Nicola Nichols.

Also we've applied for one of our kids to go to the local private school, which reminded me that when I attended there as a kid, the principal was Mrs. Brutus. Thin, severe woman who loving looked the part.

She was secretly very chill though.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

bringmyfishback posted:

Momo (Although, to be fair, she said she wanted her English name to be "Peach" but knew it would sound weird in English, so she chose the Japanese word/name [?])
If it helps, Momo is a real, common-ish Japanese given name/name element? Kind of weird to use a Japanese name as an "English" name, but could be a lot worse.

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

ElwoodCuse posted:

Megyn Kelly's kids are Yates, Yeardly, and Thatcher

I knew a Thatcher in preschool/kindergarten, all I remember about him besides his full name is that we went swimming in a massive ditch during a rainstorm one time when we were four and our parents got super pissed.

He makes youtube videos about the paleo diet now and is apparently a nurse.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I mean, it's not like there isn't a precedent. 曹操 Cáo Cāo was a famous statesman.

There aren't too many with the same falling tone as "gently caress" in my dictionary, which interestingly enough gives me about five different ways to write it.

On topic, I've seen the name Daysire somewhere. I can only surmise that it's some kind of variant of Desirée.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
I worked with this Iranian guy back in the Seventies (before Iran got all pissy, when the Shah was our bastard) named Beta.
His dad named his first kid Alpha, the second Beta, and his third and last, Omega.

Beta was really cool, Iranians back then were known as serious open-shirt, strip-club, gold-chained disco cokey whore-hoppin' party-all-night type dudes.

And another guy called Richard "Dick" Poleo.
He joked that dick polio is what you caught by loving handicapped people.
Heh. He was cool about it. A funny dude.

And that guy named Nolen, which everybody misspelled. It was even wrong on his SS card.

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
poo poo almost forgot, Tokio Sextwhale, who is a real billionaire African politician and therefore corrupt thieving bastard. Out of Nigeria, I thinx.

He attended Madonna and Guy Ritchie's wedding.

BFFHD.
e/;

Sexwhales. Flying airborne sexwhales. Attacking Tokyo as we speak.
Kaiju with giant whale dicks fornicating Tokyo.

poo poo, any producers out there?
I already got the script.

zimboe has a new favorite as of 09:18 on Sep 4, 2016

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Tokyo Sexwale, not "Sextwhale", I'm afraid.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Someone with the middle name Crustaceans.

rotoscoped
Oct 30, 2010
Met a Chinese guy named Merlin at work. He was not particularly wizardly.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

zimboe posted:

Sexwhales

Mods please change my username to Sexwhale.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Peter Bonerz.

The guy who did (does?) the voice acting for Squidward is Rodger Bumpass

Weatherwax
Aug 17, 2008

Merlin Maria he is a dude btw (and yes I know Maria is a common middle name for men in many Catholic countries - that doesn't make it better)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

sweeperbravo posted:

Peter Bonerz.

The guy who did (does?) the voice acting for Squidward is Rodger Bumpass

It's the z at the end that makes it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

zimboe posted:

poo poo almost forgot, Tokio Sextwhale, who is a real billionaire African politician and therefore corrupt thieving bastard. Out of Nigeria, I thinx

Mosima Gabriel Sexwale (pronounced se-khwa-le) is his real name. Tokyo is a nickname someone gave him as a kid because he took karate. He's a South African politician and was an anti-apartheid activist back in those days. Not a billionaire as far as I know.

He's had a few controversies, sure, but corrupt thieving bastard is a new one by me.

Did you guys see that Dick Assmann died? I can't find the article anymore for some reason.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

LSD at the gangbang
Dec 27, 2009

Sampling of classmates in my online course:

Starlotte
Chelbie, who goes by Dru
Jaycitee
Fylishia
Ma Honey Jane
Kasslen