Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Hah yeah it came just as I was getting back from finally figuring out clutch up 2nd gear wheelies, and ripping around the countryside. That guy got a quick "lol no" , which is about the most unprofessional response I'll give people. Even scammers usually get a "sorry cash only" response.

Streetfighters are cool because fast bikes with standard ergos are cool. Fast bikes with standard ergos that don't cost a lot that you can thrash around without worry are SUPER cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Speaking of which how much you selling your bike for? Got a link to the ad?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

That's called a salvage

Chiche the term streetfighter originated in the early 90's predominantly for fairing-less oil-boiler gixxers, the idea being that sport bikes were pretty much hopeless for da streetz (still true today) and a skilled rider would be able to troll sportsbike riders on a naked bike with bars.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?

Slavvy posted:

sport bikes were pretty much hopeless for da streetz (still true today)

why? serious question.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Because they are uncomfortable and don't make any power until retard-o speeds.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Verge posted:

why? serious question.

Because they rev super high and even in first gear you can go 75 mph. To get to the fun part you have to break every speed limit out there.

If you stay legal, speed wise, you are generally waaaay out of the powerband and its boring.

Also they are uncomfortable, sprung pretty hard, and don't have any creature comforts.

Old sport bikes are a little softer in this regard but aren't a ton better

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure how the last part of that statement applies, since true "streetfighters" are the same bike but with better ergos. Factory standards tend to change power delivery to be better at lower speeds. I guess when you make your own streetfighter, you can gear it to do the same thing.

Plus, streetfighters don't have those fragile fairings to worry about.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I always figured the term "streetfighter" was because they were smashed up stitched together half broken wrecks, like, you know, a street fighter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Streetfighter has a little bit different meaning in the US than Europe.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I feel like the streetfighters of old in the US are really just stunta-brah bikes now.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah street fighters are generally more street able because they a lot of times get shorter gearing to go with the high bars and whatnot

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

My 3 month old battery died today what the gently caress :mad:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Check your regulator output at a variety of RPMs. Did you make any electrical upgrades (e.g. brighter headlight) recently?

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

No, same stuff as before the battery. Led aux lights, cigarette lighter/USB charger, heated grips. Last battery apparently for a dead cell according to the shop, but the bike sat for over a month awaiting an engine replacement. Two bad batteries is a row or am I killin it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How long did you have the aux lights / heated grips installed before you had to replace the battery the first time?

Motorcycle charging systems are frequently right on the edge of what the bike needs in stock form, and sometimes aren't even designed to charge the battery at idle. If you add even a few extra things and don't wring the engine out, it can be just enough extra load that the battery slowly discharges over a few months until it's dead, but because the excess is so small you don't really notice a change from day to day.

On my CL350 -- which admittedly has an ancient alternator design -- even one extra 12W taillight bulb was enough to cause this problem.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

It's hard to say. 6 months maybe before the engine went kaput and it sat? It's a Vstrom and it came with PIAA lights on it which I swapped for LED lights, and tossed on heated grips and the USB charger. I've only used the usb charger once, and it's phoenix so I don't use the heated grips much. I use the lights every so often but kinda rare to use them for extended durations. Not riding as much as I'd like :(

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Sagebrush posted:

Check your regulator output at a variety of RPMs.

Voltage or current?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah street fighters are generally more street able because they a lot of times get shorter gearing to go with the high bars and whatnot

Yeah, the standard-issue streetfighter when they started was a high-top GSXR, minus plastics, plus Renthal bars and 4 teeth on the back wheel because who needs top speed when you've not got a fairing?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nm

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Well I guess that answers my "I wonder how much more I'll get out of this rear."

It wasn't like this two days ago... but I've also burned through a full tank and a half of gas in the last couple days so that probably did it. It isn't like that all the way around so I think I can carefully ride the next few days while I wait on my new rear so long as I only commute on it, no pleasure riding... Or I could take the car if my wife notices it.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
My apartment has a gated patio with an entrance off our dead end alley, and I've been parking my bike there for the last year in an ask forgiveness instead of permission sort of way. Now someone's been parking their car in the alley, pretty much blocking the gate so it's almost impossible to get the bike out, so I'm gonna have to move it to the street I think.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

PCOS Bill posted:

Well I guess that answers my "I wonder how much more I'll get out of this rear."

It wasn't like this two days ago... but I've also burned through a full tank and a half of gas in the last couple days so that probably did it. It isn't like that all the way around so I think I can carefully ride the next few days while I wait on my new rear so long as I only commute on it, no pleasure riding... Or I could take the car if my wife notices it.

Psh you got atleast 50 more bro

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Had a buyer lined up to meet me tomorrow for the wr250x. Everything was working great, serious buyer, had money, knew that my bike was an absolute deal, had friends that insisted that he needed to get the wr250x, had rode a wr250r and loved it, the whole deal.

Tonight, he texts me to say that he has just bought a supermoto converted wr250f, because it was "a deal" and he "couldn't resist". Guy knows gently caress all about motorcycles, and this was his first bike, and I think he thought it was "basically the same thing". I informed him that they had nothing in common with the r/x.

He admitted that when he "road it" it "felt different" than the wr250r. He also is now telling me that the maintenance seems quite a bit more involved for the wr250f.

Yeah, no poo poo. Thanks for jerking me around, imbecile.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Post your ad.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/mcy/5758117464.html
ta-da!

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

It's hard to say. 6 months maybe before the engine went kaput and it sat? It's a Vstrom and it came with PIAA lights on it which I swapped for LED lights, and tossed on heated grips and the USB charger. I've only used the usb charger once, and it's phoenix so I don't use the heated grips much. I use the lights every so often but kinda rare to use them for extended durations. Not riding as much as I'd like :(

Check your voltage at highway rpm, around 4500, it should be around 14.5- 14.8V.
If it's lower, it could be a bad regulator, stator coil or loose stator magnets, which are all common on the 1000DL/SV/TL engine. I had both loose magnets and a bad coil at the same time, one masking the other. Got the obviously loose magnets glued back in and still had low voltage, checked the coil and had a burnt wire. Definitely get in there and check your magnets, if they work their way loose there's not much room before the start hitting things and damaging the coil and breaking the magnets themselves and those aren't sold separately, so you'd have to buy a whole new assembly or wait until a part out on stromtroopers.

JB Weld seems to be the go to fix, clean the surface well, I used degreaser then alcohol. Now they have about 7Kmi on them and they're holding at 14.8V. The coil's an easy unplug, unbolt, reverse process fix too, just be careful with the side case gasket.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I'm getting real burned out on wrenching. I keep putting off finishing the sv bar conversion because I gotta pull off the airbox, change out all the cables (throttle is a huge bitch apparently), change out brake lines, all this freaking crap in an apartment parking lot and high chances of loving something up, as is my M.O. Maybe one day I'll make enough to get things done at a shop.

<- this gang tag is a lie apparently :qq:

M42 fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 4, 2016

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

Check your voltage at highway rpm, around 4500, it should be around 14.5- 14.8V.
If it's lower, it could be a bad regulator, stator coil or loose stator magnets, which are all common on the 1000DL/SV/TL engine. I had both loose magnets and a bad coil at the same time, one masking the other. Got the obviously loose magnets glued back in and still had low voltage, checked the coil and had a burnt wire. Definitely get in there and check your magnets, if they work their way loose there's not much room before the start hitting things and damaging the coil and breaking the magnets themselves and those aren't sold separately, so you'd have to buy a whole new assembly or wait until a part out on stromtroopers.

JB Weld seems to be the go to fix, clean the surface well, I used degreaser then alcohol. Now they have about 7Kmi on them and they're holding at 14.8V. The coil's an easy unplug, unbolt, reverse process fix too, just be careful with the side case gasket.

Ah jeeze I hope it's not that bad. Getting really sick of having to fix poo poo on this fucker all the time, as much as I love it.

Edit: do I need a new gasket before I open the side up there? Is there oil inside there?

Schroeder91 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 4, 2016

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Schroeder91 posted:

Ah jeeze I hope it's not that bad. Getting really sick of having to fix poo poo on this fucker all the time, as much as I love it.

Edit: do I need a new gasket before I open the side up there? Is there oil inside there?

It needs drained, so it's a good time to change the oil & filter. The side case came off for me after I persuaded it with a rubber hammer and pulled, the magnets will try to hold it, but don't pull too hard in case it lets loose since the coil is attached to it. The gasket should be ok as long as you pull straight out.

Suzuki's high quality standard strikes again, it's a shame because it's a good bike that does what it was made to do well. There's a guy on the Stromtrooper forum with about 400K miles on his and the 1000's often go over 200K, it's just these issues(clutch basket :mad: ).

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Retarded Pimp posted:

It needs drained, so it's a good time to change the oil & filter. The side case came off for me after I persuaded it with a rubber hammer and pulled, the magnets will try to hold it, but don't pull too hard in case it lets loose since the coil is attached to it. The gasket should be ok as long as you pull straight out.

Suzuki's high quality standard strikes again, it's a shame because it's a good bike that does what it was made to do well. There's a guy on the Stromtrooper forum with about 400K miles on his and the 1000's often go over 200K, it's just these issues(clutch basket :mad: ).

Yeah I saw that thread, amazing. I'll see about the stator and I'm due for oil anyways.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

I'm getting real burned out on wrenching. I keep putting off finishing the sv bar conversion because I gotta pull off the airbox, change out all the cables (throttle is a huge bitch apparently), change out brake lines, all this freaking crap in an apartment parking lot and high chances of loving something up, as is my M.O. Maybe one day I'll make enough to get things done at a shop.

<- this gang tag is a lie apparently :qq:

Wrenching sucks without a garage where you can be like "gently caress this" and walk away.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah don't hope to one day make enough to take your bike to a shop, they suck rear end.

Just hope for a garage.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Sep 4, 2016

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Every mistake I've made while working on my bikes has been when it's starting to get dark or cold and I'm rushing to get things finished up because I can't leave anything out on the street overnight.

Garages are awesome.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Sagebrush posted:

Every mistake I've made while working on my bikes has been when it's starting to get dark or cold and I'm rushing to get things finished up because I can't leave anything out on the street overnight.

Trigger warning please

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Having all the right tools helps a lot too, and that can also get expensive

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah don't hope to one day make enough to take your bike to a shop, they suck rear end.

Just hope for a garage.

Yeah, you're right, even the best shops around here suck (one dented the poo poo out of a buddy's bmw tank, told him they were gonna "suck the dent out and paint it matte black" lmfao). I'm glad to have an underground garage at least, before I'd be out in the sun getting scorched while working.

Sagebrush posted:

Exactly this. Though now I just throw a cover over my disassembled bike and nobody bothers it.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Having all the right tools helps a lot too, and that can also get expensive

At this point I've got a good amount, but a workbench would be really great. Can't use my drill press or a vise :v:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

M42 posted:

one dented the poo poo out of a buddy's bmw tank, told him they were gonna "suck the dent out and paint it matte black" lmfao

:psyduck:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Maybe by ruining it even more they thought the sting of the initial dent would be lessened somewhat

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah dudes. And this is the only local shop I trust, too. Then there was the one in silver spring that turbo destroyed my already slightly destroyed ninja... gently caress shops, man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

Sagebrush posted:

Garages are awesome.

I hate that feeling, when you have to finish what you are doing but the sun is going down and then something goes wrong and then you start wondering if you have enough working flashlights to finish it in the darkness.