Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Hardcordion posted:

I think we can all agree that the blonde kid from diamond/pearl is the worst rival.

Anyone that doesn't think Barry is the best rival is going to be fined $1,000,000!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I feel like I'm blanking on something here:

I am breeding a male and female Espurr, the male has infiltrator and is holding an everstone and the female has keen eye. Why is every new Espurr coming out with keen eye? I though everstone was a 100% pass down nature?

e: nm I'm dumb I'm confusing abilities and nature.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I would like Wally more if he showed up more in the game. The fight against him on Victory Road in ORAS is amazing, but it would have had more impact if you saw more of him throughout the game.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Nessa posted:

I would like Wally more if he showed up more in the game. The fight against him on Victory Road in ORAS is amazing, but it would have had more impact if you saw more of him throughout the game.

I wish they had worked him into the Rayquaza plot in Emerald.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

blue had a goddamn pidgeot

and now mega pidgeot is loving awesome so joke's on us

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dabir posted:

mega pidgeot is loving awesome

No.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Barry is amazing. I love his sprite from the beginning of battles, where he's just SO HYPE. he's all YEAH YEAH YEAHHHHH!
and he's constantly running off, and charging into danger, and generally being a total hyperactive spaz. everyone has known a Barry. he's a good boy, and a good friend/rival.
and there's also the nice background detail that his dad is basically head of the Battle Frontier, so he's really got something to prove, but he doesn't ever really come out and say it in so many words. and when you tag battle with him, he's not completely useless like a lot of tag battle buddies.

that Cynthia figure someone linked to the other day? I would totally be interested in a Barry one of those. :3:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

*hurricanes u, doesnt miss*

The Great Burrito
Jan 21, 2008

Is that freedom rock? Well turn it up!
I'm just pissed that when it came time to finally battle Tierno after all his dancing Pokemon talk there was no Spinda, Ludicolo or anything really that seemed to fit. Like I love Corphish and Hawlucha but COME ON

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Great Burrito posted:

I'm just pissed that when it came time to finally battle Tierno after all his dancing Pokemon talk there was no Spinda, Ludicolo or anything really that seemed to fit. Like I love Corphish and Hawlucha but COME ON

His choices are not quite as random as they look, all of them know a Dance move: Corphish/Crawdaunt and Talonflame know Swords Dance, Roserade knows Petal Dance and Hawlucha knows Feather Dance, and they know these in every single team he has.

He's still underwhelming and pointless, but it's a neat detail.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

do you also use the phrase "<...> looks like a digimon"

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

most digimon look better than barbaracle

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Tierno should've had Maractus. and definitely Spinda.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Has anyone ever actually won the Daily Drawing Corner in HGSS? 'Cos I sure haven't.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Spatula City posted:

Tierno should've had Maractus. and definitely Spinda.

And Lilligant.

I have a dancing Lilligant. She knows Teeter Dance, Quiver Dance and Petal Dance.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Super No Vacancy posted:

most digimon look better than barbaracle

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
Brendan and May weren't the best, but they gave it their all and I thought having someone just be friendly to you after Blue and Silver was refreshing. What was really bad about them were their final teams with their not fully evolved starters in the original RSE. What the hell, Gamefreak.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Brendan and May weren't the best, but they gave it their all and I thought having someone just be friendly to you after Blue and Silver was refreshing. What was really bad about them were their final teams with their not fully evolved starters in the original RSE. What the hell, Gamefreak.

yeah it's very sad, the last time you battle them is like outside the department store in...uh wherever that was, it's very anti-climatic and dumb

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I hope that in Sun and Moon, the boss trainers such as rivals start getting more than three pokemon prior to the Elite Four.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I feel like I'm blanking on something here:

I am breeding a male and female Espurr, the male has infiltrator and is holding an everstone and the female has keen eye. Why is every new Espurr coming out with keen eye? I though everstone was a 100% pass down nature?

e: nm I'm dumb I'm confusing abilities and nature.

If you have a female pokemon and a male pokemon of the same type breed the baby will always have the same ablity as the female.

Ya gotta breed that male with a ditto.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

do you also use the phrase "<...> looks like a digimon"

No, digimon is usually way way worse than pokemon in design but when they nail a design it's so much better than anything pokemon could hope to make. No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

That said, most mega pokeon are all way cooler than their base designs to the point that I kind of wish they were just straight evolutions so we could forget the base forms completely. Pidgeot has one of the least cool megas. Mechanically it's okay, but it's just a Pidgeot that's a bit more...Pidgeot-y.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 4, 2016

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
angewomon is my favorite pokemon

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That said, most mega pokeon are all way cooler than their base designs to the point that I kind of wish they were just straight evolutions so we could forget the base forms completely. Pidgeot has one of the least cool megas. Mechanically it's okay, but it's just a Pidgeot that's a bit more...Pidgeot-y.

I think the opposite is true. Most mega evolutions are just the regular Pokemon with a bunch of unnecessary crap stuck onto it and I think that makes the design far worse.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like the fact that mega evolutions are amplified versions of the standard design. It sort of sets an upper bound for the essential complexity of a pokemon's design. A design that exceeds a certain degree of complexity looks unusual in a pokemon, so linking that excess to something that makes it also mechanically special is a good decision.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Bongo Bill posted:

I like the fact that mega evolutions are amplified versions of the standard design. It sort of sets an upper bound for the essential complexity of a pokemon's design. A design that exceeds a certain degree of complexity looks unusual in a pokemon, so linking that excess to something that makes it also mechanically special is a good decision.

Agreed. Like, I think Mega Mawlie would be a stupid evolution but as a mega evolution it works perfectly.

No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

I tried googling to see what these were and the results were...questionable.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you have a female pokemon and a male pokemon of the same type breed the baby will always have the same ablity as the female.

Ya gotta breed that male with a ditto.
The male can pass down his ability, it's just way less likely. Either way, I have a bunch of modest luxury ball espurrs with infiltrator now :woop:

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

No, digimon is usually way way worse than pokemon in design but when they nail a design it's so much better than anything pokemon could hope to make. No pokemon will be as cool as BanchoLillymon or BanchoLeomon.

I'm not really familiar with digimon, can you cite some examples?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm not really familiar with digimon, can you cite some examples?

Do you want the bad poo poo or the good poo poo?

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Do you want the bad poo poo or the good poo poo?

Why not both?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Sukamon

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

digimon transcend the ideas of 'good' and 'bad' and exist in their own category entirely

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Internet Kraken posted:

Agreed. Like, I think Mega Mawlie would be a stupid evolution but as a mega evolution it works perfectly.

I think the particular example you chose doesn't fit (I think M-Mawile is a perfect actual evolution), but for most of them I agree.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Mega Diancie s the most digimon looking thing since Seraphimon

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

druddigon is the most digimon

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Cleffa is clearly the most digimon.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mega Diancie might as well not exist.

Emalde posted:

I think the particular example you chose doesn't fit (I think M-Mawile is a perfect actual evolution), but for most of them I agree.

I figured it was a good exmaple of a mega just being the regular pokemon with more poo poo glued on. I guess a better one would be Pinsir, who mostly just gets a pair of sweet wings. Would be weird as an evolution but works fine as a mega.

Johnny Joestar posted:

digimon transcend the ideas of 'good' and 'bad' and exist in their own category entirely

Nah they're just bad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Emalde posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Mega-Pinsir, Mega-Beedril, Mega-Lopunny and Mega-Medicham better than their respective non-megas are objectively wrong.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Kabuterimon is really cool imo, also the evolution from Togemon --> Lillymon is neat

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I completely forgot that there was a Digimon that was just a cactus with boxing gloves. That rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

are the gloves to protect him or his opponent