Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Expanding a bit on DHL/ABX, a couple friends from Sinclair's aviation department had ties there. One guy was from Wilmington and worked the ramp at one point before starting flight training, while another had a dad who was a 767 captain. Another couple guys used working the ramp for the college's internship requirement, one of whom fondly recalled falling asleep in the warm F/O seat on a 767 on a cold night before realizing "I'd better not get caught doing this". One of our adjuncts was and still is their Stands manager and he was and still is a first-class guy. His wife, who now runs the flight school which trains Sinclair's students, was a dispatcher there. All seemed to enjoy their time.

ABX even had a shuttle bus which left Sinclair's downtown Dayton campus at around 9:30PM to take people to work at ILN. I often would pass it on 35 leaving Dayton when Developments In Aviation dragged 15 minutes past its scheduled end time.

Fun fact: the Buffalo Wild Wings in Wilmington was open until 6AM to accommodate the hungry/thirsty after work.

Rolo posted:

You fly around every day? That sucks.

Related to this, the flying metal tube is the only place where I can escape my cell phone and watch Squidbillies on my iPod. I'd take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

As for instrument flying, my only issue is not getting on top of attitude and trim control after a climb, I inevitably end up with another hundred feet. :words:

Pretty common problem, try starting your level off 75-100ft prior to your target altitude and see if that helps.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I'll try that after my flight exam. Between now and then all I have to focus on instrument flying wise is going straight and doing a 180 and my next couple flights are all flight test prep.

With fall coming I'm wondering if I should just let the ink dry on my PPL and go tool around on the occasional weekend or dive right in to night rating and IFR. I did just sign a mortgage though so I think I'll be too busy renovating.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvilJoven posted:

I'll try that after my flight exam. Between now and then all I have to focus on instrument flying wise is going straight and doing a 180 and my next couple flights are all flight test prep.

With fall coming I'm wondering if I should just let the ink dry on my PPL and go tool around on the occasional weekend or dive right in to night rating and IFR. I did just sign a mortgage though so I think I'll be too busy renovating.

Unless you're on some kind of time crunch, absolutely just go out and enjoy some flying before jumping in to your instrument.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I'll probably skip the IFR for now. I might get my night rating just because around these parts from October to March the sun sets so damned early there's not as much daylight to get anywhere and it completely eliminates the possibility of flying after work. It's only something like 4 hours.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

EvilJoven posted:

Ya I'll probably skip the IFR for now. I might get my night rating just because around these parts from October to March the sun sets so damned early there's not as much daylight to get anywhere and it completely eliminates the possibility of flying after work. It's only something like 4 hours.

At my base we all still fly gliders and or light aircraft in time off for fun....

Should answer that question.

The number of small aircraft and gliders calling themselves "kestrel" however....

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

CBJSprague24 posted:

Expanding a bit on DHL/ABX, a couple friends from Sinclair's aviation department had ties there. One guy was from Wilmington and worked the ramp at one point before starting flight training, while another had a dad who was a 767 captain. Another couple guys used working the ramp for the college's internship requirement, one of whom fondly recalled falling asleep in the warm F/O seat on a 767 on a cold night before realizing "I'd better not get caught doing this". One of our adjuncts was and still is their Stands manager and he was and still is a first-class guy. His wife, who now runs the flight school which trains Sinclair's students, was a dispatcher there. All seemed to enjoy their time.

ABX even had a shuttle bus which left Sinclair's downtown Dayton campus at around 9:30PM to take people to work at ILN. I often would pass it on 35 leaving Dayton when Developments In Aviation dragged 15 minutes past its scheduled end time.

Fun fact: the Buffalo Wild Wings in Wilmington was open until 6AM to accommodate the hungry/thirsty after work.

Related to this, the flying metal tube is the only place where I can escape my cell phone and watch Squidbillies on my iPod. I'd take it.

I work for ABX, and while Wilmington is not what I would consider a charming place, I do hope they get some of their mojo back with all this Amazon stuff. Its a good company run by good people.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Hey, military pilots! You might now be able to fly regional jets for just 500 HOURS!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/advisory-panel-would-relax-rules-for-co-pilot-experience-1472808602

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

CBJSprague24 posted:

Hey, military pilots! You might now be able to fly regional jets for just 500 HOURS!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/advisory-panel-would-relax-rules-for-co-pilot-experience-1472808602

That sucking sound you hear is USAF pilot staffing.

Two Kings
Nov 1, 2004

Get the scientists working on the tube technology, immediately.

CBJSprague24 posted:

This won't change very much. Most military guys are shooting for Majors or Cargo carriers and the larger airlines are happy to hire them. ALPA just has to keep the 1500 hr rule going as long as they can. In a few more years with all the retirements it won't even matter, the airlines will be hurting bad no matter what the laws are.

Cool that they have Paul Kolisch quoted in the article though. I don't agree with him in this case but the guy has probably forgotten more about flying airplanes that I'll ever know.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Does anyone even get out of the military with only ~500TT under normal circumstances?

I never thought of the assertion that ALPA is only going to champion 1500 until its membership dues drop significantly, but it's interesting how they could end up standing on both sides of the teeter-totter.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CBJSprague24 posted:

Now regionals just need to park old CRJs with giant signs that say "Just assigned to drones? 500h TT? Drive this TODAY!"

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

CBJSprague24 posted:

Does anyone even get out of the military with only ~500TT under normal circumstances?

I never thought of the assertion that ALPA is only going to champion 1500 until its membership dues drop significantly, but it's interesting how they could end up standing on both sides of the teeter-totter.

I wouldn't be surprised if Marine jet guys start getting out with about that in the near future. When you're only getting 8 hours a month...

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
Might be applicable to Guard/Reserve guys

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Countdown until the CAP starts bitching that they don't count.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Rolo posted:

Countdown until the CAP starts bitching that they don't count.

To be fair my time in CAP dealing with wannabe military types and excessive bureaucracy has come in useful as an airline pilot. I also learned how to fly an airliner sized traffic pattern in a 182.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Question for the airline/135 guys. How soon is too soon to call asking about a class date after I get an acceptance notice? Found out a week ago today that I was hired and it said they'd be in contact with me as soon as a class date opened up. I figured I'd be hearing from them in a couple of days, but haven't heard anything. In my interview they had mentioned they had a class starting on the 19th of this month.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Can somebody give me a brief overview of what Assistant Chief Flight Instructors and Chief Flight Instructors do at part 141 schools?

I'm interacting with some of these people over the next few months and I don't really know if there jobs are actual flight instruction or if they are paperwork desk monkeys.. I have no experience with part 141 so some first hand actual insight would be appreciated.

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

e.pilot posted:

Question for the airline/135 guys. How soon is too soon to call asking about a class date after I get an acceptance notice? Found out a week ago today that I was hired and it said they'd be in contact with me as soon as a class date opened up. I figured I'd be hearing from them in a couple of days, but haven't heard anything. In my interview they had mentioned they had a class starting on the 19th of this month.

Give them a while. Most airline HR departments are constantly overworked and understaffed and while its good to be excited and want to start ASAP, no one wants to be bothered by a string of phone calls. Give them until the end of the week and then a polite email or phone message volunteering for the 19th class is all you should do. Good luck!

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Captain Apollo posted:

Can somebody give me a brief overview of what Assistant Chief Flight Instructors and Chief Flight Instructors do at part 141 schools?

I'm interacting with some of these people over the next few months and I don't really know if there jobs are actual flight instruction or if they are paperwork desk monkeys.. I have no experience with part 141 so some first hand actual insight would be appreciated.

The exact duties of the chief instructor can vary significantly from school to school (aside from what part 141 spells out), but generally, they're there to ensure particular standards (namely the FAA-approved syllabus) are being adhered to by the other instructors at the school, and that the training being provided meets or exceeds certain requirements.

At large flight schools, the chief instructor does a lot of administrative work and is the point of contact for the FAA POI assigned to the school, but they'll still do some flying (in the form of stage checks or instructor standardization) even if they don't have dedicated students.

Smaller flight schools will have chief instructors that may have their own students, and it isn't at all uncommon for them to also be the person who teaches CFI candidiates, since the chief instructor tends to be the most experienced instructor at the school.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Captain Apollo posted:

At DCA, the Base Manager at DAY (who I believe was also an Assistant Chief for the company) mostly did administrative work, handling stage checks and checkrides as needed.

At the school at MGY, the Chief and two Assistants were both active instructors. For a Time, the Chief was our local FAA guy, but I believe the torch has been passed to the woman running the school.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

VOR LOC posted:

Give them a while. Most airline HR departments are constantly overworked and understaffed and while its good to be excited and want to start ASAP, no one wants to be bothered by a string of phone calls. Give them until the end of the week and then a polite email or phone message volunteering for the 19th class is all you should do. Good luck!

Thanks!

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
Dubai crash preliminary report out: https://www.gcaa.gov.ae/en/ePublica...0-%20A6-EMW.pdf

Attempted idle thrust go-around :(

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

That's just beyond belief. Those guys must have been incredibly fatigued. I can't even fathom muscle memory failing that one...

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Animal posted:

That's just beyond belief. Those guys must have been incredibly fatigued. I can't even fathom muscle memory failing that one...

Sheikh Mohammed: No but you see they weren't fatigued we made sure we leaked the crew's schedules and highlighted their rest periods because you see fatigue is not an endemic problem at Emirates, no sir

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

To be fair my time in CAP dealing with wannabe military types and excessive bureaucracy has come in useful as an airline pilot. I also learned how to fly an airliner sized traffic pattern in a 182.

Thanks for confirming that not joining CAP was the correct move. :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Anyone know if CASARA is a decent outfit? I was thinking of signing on more for the crashing through the bush with radio gear part of it until I have enough hours to fly with them.

If not I might sign up for plain old ground based S&R.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Found out my class date, I will be starting on the 19th! :toot:

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

e.pilot posted:

Found out my class date, I will be starting on the 19th! :toot:

Congrats! Where is this? (If you don't mind sharing)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

vessbot posted:

Congrats! Where is this? (If you don't mind sharing)

Boutique Air, they fly PC12s on mostly EAS routes.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

e.pilot posted:

Please jesus god in heaven tell me you arent taking a right seat pc12 job in this job market

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

They use two crew members on PC-12s? I didn't know that.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

greasyhands posted:

Please jesus god in heaven tell me you arent taking a right seat pc12 job in this job market

I'm only at 750 hours and my flight school had almost our entire fleet destroyed by hail, not many other options at the moment.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

They use two crew members on PC-12s? I didn't know that.

A two person crew is required by the FAA on aircraft without an autopilot, but I suspect some companies might run two person crews for insurance purposes or for the extra level of safety a second pilot adds.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005

azflyboy posted:

but I suspect some companies might run two person crews for insurance purposes or for the extra level of safety a second pilot adds.

Yes. Some others also meet the same goal by grabbing the nearest neighborhood kid and stuffing him onto the right seat and telling the broker and passengers he's a crewmember.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

e.pilot posted:

This is a neat idea with decently priced flights, I hope they do well.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

xaarman posted:

They actually treat their pilots pretty well too from what my friend has told me. Seems like a pretty good gig for someone trying to build time.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

xaarman posted:

EAS routes are subsidized by the federal government (capped at $200/seat in most cases), so as long as a carrier can keep their costs reasonable and is actually able to complete the contracted flights, EAS flying is one of the few guaranteed income streams in airline flying.

I've always been amused seeing Seaport Caravans flying with a two person crew, especially next to Ameriflight running Beech 1900's and Metroliners with only one pilot.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

How prevalent are single-pilot IFR operations in the US? Here in Canada at least the insurance companies have made it so prohibitively expensive that it's cheaper and easier to hire a first officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
It would also get rid of the need to have a functioning autopilot.

Didn't know that was a thing but apparently it is mandatory for commercial single pilot operations.

• Locked thread