Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Luffy's ultimate Awakening Attack: Bouncy Castle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

So if Sanji's sister is Wonder Pink, who are Wonders Yellow, White, and Black?

There's five kids.
Ichiji - Red
Niji - Blue
Sanji - Black
Yonji - Green
Reiju - Pink

They're a five-man sentai team.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GERMA DOCKING 66

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Luffy has a very compromised life span already due to Ivankov's hormone injections.

Chopper is going to cure Kaidou of the sickness that is life :black101:

...also Big Mam of her diabetes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Raspberry Bang posted:

With Haki teeth.

I want him to pull arlong's teeth out of his pocket. He's kept them all these years because they're great for cracking nuts and chewing especially tough food.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Mr. Fowl posted:

I want him to pull arlong's teeth out of his pocket. He's kept them all these years because they're great for cracking nuts and chewing especially tough food.

Don't they make a point of showing that the teeth by themselves are useless, and it's Arlong's jaw strength that made him so good at biting things?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Green Intern posted:

Luffy's ultimate Awakening Attack: Bouncy Castle.

I unironically think this is what will happen once Luffy learns how to awaken his powers and 'inject' rubberiness into his environment and it's going to be :krad:.

Kabanaw posted:

Has there actually been any mention of Luffy's gears destroying his body since the one time Chopper says it on Thriller Bark? I think that might be a dropped plot thread, but then again this is Oda so he'll probably come back to it in another 5 years

I'm pretty sure Gear Fourth and whatever comes after that is the New World equivalent for Luffy.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 4, 2016

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I unironically think this is what will happen once Luffy learns how to awaken his powers and 'inject' rubberiness into his environment and it's going to be :krad:.

Luffy is going to awaken a room and spring hopper the poo poo out of somebody after a flashback to Binami the Dachshund.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Raposa posted:

Luffy is going to awaken a room and spring hopper the poo poo out of somebody after a flashback to Binami the Dachshund.

Now imagine that plus Gear Second/Fourth. This might be how Luffy manages to keep up with Kizaru while quite literally bouncing around at the speed of light.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i know its coming but awakening is going to be dumb as poo poo. i didn't mind it for zoan fruits because it seemed to be a strength for intelligence trade off but turning things around you into your fruit is bad and fail if its not a logia or one of the few logia like paramecia fruits

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Raposa posted:

I'm looking forward to the inevitable jokes where he transforms the deck of the Sunny in to a bouncy castle to amuse Bropper and Usopp, but annoys the heck out of Zoro and Nami.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Jose posted:

i know its coming but awakening is going to be dumb as poo poo. i didn't mind it for zoan fruits because it seemed to be a strength for intelligence trade off but turning things around you into your fruit is bad and fail if its not a logia or one of the few logia like paramecia fruits

awakening is gonna own and its gonna make the final few fights absolutely bonkers

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
I'll reserve judgement on devil fruit awakening until we see more examples of it. The Doffy fight was sort of a bad spot to (re)introduce it because it was yet another Doffy trump card out of nowhere when a lot of people had gotten tired of them several fakeouts ago. I can see the potential for comedy and utility with Luffy's fruit, but I don't know how it'd work with other fruits. Since Zoan and Paramecia fruits have different awakening effects, maybe a Logia awakening is what allows them to resist haki attacks like Aokiji and Akainu did at Marineford?

One thing I do hope to see is Chopper's monster form being acknowledged as an awakened form, being able to unlock it with the power of :science: would make him look pretty competent for once.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Cookie Man is funny, I fully expect Luffy to literally eat his way out of this fight

Power-wise, it's pretty bad, tho. It's clear as day many fights have rarely anything to do with the powers involved anymore, every creative ability turns generic until it's just TWO STRONG ATTACKS CLASHING BUT ONE WINS FOR NO DISCERNIBLE REASON again. Not gonna lie, I'm kinda starting to dislike longer fights in One Piece for this exact reason; when it's a giant clusterfuck of short and sweet battles everywhere, it's really fun to see the insanity in action. But in longer fights, it gets painful how generic the action gets.

Mind you, this is complaining on a high level - this is still super-excellent shonen! Not to mention full with great designs and nice ideas. But I am reminded again and again, especially with recent longer fights, that all these super-cool abilities pretty much don't matter, and quickly devolve into whatever generic thing the plot demands right now (mostly "generic projectile", "generic power clash" or "generic timer for dangerous event"). It's weird how I seem to like One Piece the most when there aren't any drawn-out battles, because many (recently???) just aren't written very well.

Feel free to disregard this as pointless nagging, I'm just sad we often don't get the full potential for insanity that all these powers would have. :v:

this is why usopp fights are always the best

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im ok with "big bad attack wins after long struggle" if one char is shown to be more powerful but less clever (luffy vs enel for example). i really hated zoro vs pica for the same reason. if he just attacked him after finding him over the "behold my haki is more powerful" "nuh uh mine is" then that would have been way better.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
For me the only problem with that fight was the endless running around. I know it was a vehicle to show the other things going on but I don't think it was effective. The whole sequence where he cuts Pica into smaller chunks was really good.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I don't like Luffy's awakening will manifest the same way as Doffy's.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
You guys do realize there is a chance that Luffy won't awaken at all, right? I mean, it's likely he will, but there could be serious repercussions to doing so, especially since we don't know the processes involved in awakening a devil fruit.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
A shounen hero not taking a powerup that should be available to him? That just means he'll get a completely different (and better) powerup, mind.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Crazyeyes posted:

Luffy has a very compromised life span already due to Ivankov's hormone injections.

Luffy will die of that mysterious anime disease whose only symptom is coughing up blood.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Julias posted:

You guys do realize there is a chance that Luffy won't awaken at all, right? I mean, it's likely he will, but there could be serious repercussions to doing so, especially since we don't know the processes involved in awakening a devil fruit.

you're wrong.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I think luffy is gonna find the one piece

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Space-Bird posted:

You're dreaming.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Space-Bird posted:

what the gently caress

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Mr. Fowl posted:

You're dreaming.

Don't give it up, Luffy

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Millions posted:

Don't give it up, Luffy

DREAMIN'

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Space-Bird posted:

But he already found Friendship???

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Space-Bird posted:

Obviously, since we know for a fact Nami can't navigate to it.

Spidder
Jan 9, 2005

Julias posted:

Every shonen trope says that you're wrong and that the hero will get the powerup to fight more better

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Countblanc posted:

But he already found Friendship???

the one piece is a really big magic gold coin with secrets written on it, dude

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One Piece will in fact be a treasure chest with a spring-loaded, disease tipped needle and a note saying "The greatest treasure is living life to the fullest! I made my last year the best of my life, now it's your turn!

PS: Please reset this trap and tell everyone to do this all again when they go to chop your head off."

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

this is why usopp fights are always the best

Agreed

I like One Piece fights best the more unusual they are - that's what eccentric combatants and freaky abilities are for. And the fights with silly circumstances are great for the same reason, just because everybody has to think around that somehow. Usopp ONLY has fights like that :haw: That makes fights with straight-up power spam all the worse, because they seem so arbritary, lazy and ultimately unearned. That's totally fine for quick cutaway fights, because those fit well in the giant chaotic battle scenes One Piece does so well; it's very disappointing with long, drawn-out fights with established villains, which SHOULD be interesting, but come across as generic and uninspired.

Doflamingo is pretty much the worst offender, if you ask me. Introduced as a nasty puppetmaster dude; winds up as ultra-strong brawler dude with an utterly random array of bullshit powers because Plot Says So and Probably Haki. Man, you could do SO MUCH with a literal puppeteering power, but NAH. Haki time all the time

Make the important fights sillier, I say. Make them all silly, no exceptions ever

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Doflamingo was a warlord though, and one of the higher bounty ones at that. It would have been far stupider if he wasn't a certain level of power, especially after finding out that he pretty much clawed his way up from nothing. I'd say the pacing of the fight itself wasn't great, but that's because Dressrosa's pacing was proper hosed from trying to do too much, even saying this as someone who liked Kyros in every form.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Doflamingo was a warlord though, and one of the higher bounty ones at that. It would have been far stupider if he wasn't a certain level of power, especially after finding out that he pretty much clawed his way up from nothing. I'd say the pacing of the fight itself wasn't great, but that's because Dressrosa's pacing was proper hosed from trying to do too much, even saying this as someone who liked Kyros in every form.

Bounties are not power levels, and power is more than just physical strength. Doflamingo was supposed to be untouchable because of his knowledge on Celestial Dragon secrets that allowed him to blackmail them, and his charisma which allowed him to gather strong subordinates who would stop anyone from even approaching him. He was all about manipulation, intelligence and ruthlessness, and his ability complemented that. Doflamingo would have worked far better as a glass cannon type of villain, where the main challenge of the fight would be working around his ability in order to be able to land a hit on him in the first place. His battle against Law and Luffy started off like that, and frankly I would have been satisfied if he had been defeated by something similar to the Shambles trick that let Luffy land the first hit on him. Obviously it would have needed more dramatic buildup, but I think Oda could have managed it and it would have made much more sense for Doffy's character than making him practically Luffy's equal in physical strength. Giving him a brawler's physique along with his overpowered ability made him more boring and undermined a lot of the "how is Luffy ever gonna beat HIM? :aaa:" hype that Oda had been building up over the years.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Star Platinum posted:

Bounties are not power levels, and power is more than just physical strength. Doflamingo was supposed to be untouchable because of his knowledge on Celestial Dragon secrets that allowed him to blackmail them, and his charisma which allowed him to gather strong subordinates who would stop anyone from even approaching him. He was all about manipulation, intelligence and ruthlessness, and his ability complemented that. Doflamingo would have worked far better as a glass cannon type of villain, where the main challenge of the fight would be working around his ability in order to be able to land a hit on him in the first place. His battle against Law and Luffy started off like that, and frankly I would have been satisfied if he had been defeated by something similar to the Shambles trick that let Luffy land the first hit on him. Obviously it would have needed more dramatic buildup, but I think Oda could have managed it and it would have made much more sense for Doffy's character than making him practically Luffy's equal in physical strength. Giving him a brawler's physique along with his overpowered ability made him more boring and undermined a lot of the "how is Luffy ever gonna beat HIM? :aaa:" hype that Oda had been building up over the years.

Doffy trained his power and haki up to insane levels and was able to literally hold himself together to keep fighting long after he realistically should have stayed down. The only way for Luffy to win was to put him out of commission long enough for someone to get seastone on him, and that's exactly how the fight was finally resolved.

We probably could have done without the whole "10 minutes to recharge my haki" though. Looking back on it, that's the part that feels like pure padding to me.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

DizzyBum posted:

Doffy trained his power and haki up to insane levels and was able to literally hold himself together to keep fighting long after he realistically should have stayed down. The only way for Luffy to win was to put him out of commission long enough for someone to get seastone on him, and that's exactly how the fight was finally resolved.

I think this is a bad thing for all the reasons the post you quoted outlined

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luffy should inflate his arm and make it into balloon animals. I would.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Luffy's Awakened Form is going to be the murder super ball from Men in Black

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

We probably could have done without the whole "10 minutes to recharge my haki" though. Looking back on it, that's the part that feels like pure padding to me.

I felt it was less padding and more establishing a weakness for Gear 4. It's what provides a lot of the tension in the current Luffy vs. Cracker fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

DizzyBum posted:

I don't think you need to 'look back' for that; everyone was complaining at the transparent attempt at stretching things out back when it was occurred.