Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Incy posted:

I was going to name my ships after famous hedgehogs, but gave up after the only two I could come up with were sonic and Mrs Tiggywinkle.
Spiny Norman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
I was thinking of sticking with SEA city names for UCM. For my PHR, I'm going to name at least one of them "The Great Cornholio."

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I considered the Justice/Sword/Mercy naming scheme from the Ancillary books but that might get dull when applied to a whole fleet. I'll probably just end up picking from various places, Halo has a bunch of good names and some of the more serious Culture ones will probably work too.

That said, i also played around with some random generators and some ship is going to be The Spectral Nancy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

That said, i also played around with some random generators and some ship is going to be The Spectral Nancy.

Do you have the Scourge battlecruiser?

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

Bistromatic posted:

some of the more serious Culture ones will probably work too.

You prefer names with more gravitas?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Stood at the back when the gravitas was handed out; needs to be the name of a battleship.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Maybe i'll just name a battleship Gravitas then :v:

Ugleb posted:

Do you have the Scourge battlecruiser?

That would be a great fit but i'll only be keeping UCM out of our groups pledge.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
UCM Tokyo-class. Gravitas This.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Mr Penis Gun is what I'm calling the one UCM Battlecruiser, it's going to look great alongside things like the Kusnetsov, Maksim Gorky and the Kursk.

Also I think I'm gonna build 2x Seattles out of one of my starter boxes, strike assets seem baller as hell and the Seattle is cool.

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 30, 2016

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Bistromatic posted:

Maybe i'll just name a battleship Gravitas then :v:

That would be a great fit but i'll only be keeping UCM out of our groups pledge.

Hmm probably one of those electronic warfare frigates then. Jakarta I think?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Jakarta is the disco flak frigate. A collective term would be an Ibiza :p.

Lima is the EW frigate.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Ugleb posted:

The Factions

I'm going to keep this a vague overview as metas change over time. Hopefully I can address both Dropzone and Dropfleet together here.

UCM - The United Colonies of Man

The UCM are the basic human faction of the Dropzone universe. They are what the human government turned into after the Scourge Invasion of Earth & the Cradle Worlds put humanity of the ropes. The UCM are a militarised culture entirely devoted to the REconquest - returning home to wipe out the Scourge squatting there.

In Dropzone the UCM are styled as the air faction. Their general approach to warfare is to efficiently drop forces from orbit so make extensive use of gunships, bombers and fighters to support their ground asset deployments. UCM airpower is formidable, however they still possess fairly solid if generally cheaper tank squadrons. The strength of the UCM is probably their wide range of tools while their weakness is in their squishy human infantry. With a few exceptions the UCM rely on numbers over quality and can struggle if their infantry need to get stuck into CQB. Flattening buildings or gaining aerial superiority on the other hand is much less of an issue.

The Scourge

The Resistance

PHR - The Post-Human Republic.

The Shaltari

I'm starting to update the OP's a bit now that Phase 2 is out and Dropfleet is (hopefully) not far off. I never did get around to describing the factions before, so any insights to filling this out are welcome!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Shaltari are for cheese weasels. Looks good so far.

Building Cruisers I'm probably gonna go for a Moscow, St Petersburg, 2x Seattle, 2x San Francisco, 2x Rio and a Madrid.

I've got 4 Taipei, 4 Toulon, 2 Lima and 2 Jakarta. As well as 4 Metal Strike Carriers. I'll probably go for a Beijing for a Battleship because it looks awesome.

The Impaler
Dec 28, 2011

10 Brogies
20 GOTO 10
Flipswitch, don't know how familiar you're with PHR dropfleet sprues, but would you say its possible/worth magnetising cruisers?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I havent seen the sprues for them sorry dude. I'm awful at magenetizing but I imagine it's doable. :)

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

The Impaler posted:

Flipswitch, don't know how familiar you're with PHR dropfleet sprues, but would you say its possible/worth magnetising cruisers?

Hawk said magnetizing the broadsides should be easy, but the front jaw section might be hard.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Shaltari are for cool people who like giant ninja robots.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

cheese weasels in giant robots who like anime butts

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

New backer update is out.... Guess we have another 2+ weeks to wait then. .:(

I really, really think it is the rulebook.

quote:

Dear Backers and Supporters

We wish to send a quick update out with an apology for both the delay in the dispatch of the Dropfleet Commander Kickstarter Rewards, but also for not having communicated this delay over the last few weeks. We have been really busy with a whole range of Dropfleet Commander, Dropzone Commander and Hawk Wargames activities, but that is no reason to keep you all waiting to hear news.

Regarding Dropfleet Commander, we are still waiting on one print delivery. When this arrives we will be making every effort to get out rewards as quickly as possible and will be pulling in extra pairs of hands to make sure this happens efficiently and effectively!

We are truly grateful for all of your support and patience in this last phase of the Kickstarter process, and whilst we know this is a few months later than we originally estimated, we hope you will be as happy and excited for the game as we are, when it arrives with you! We can't wait to see painted cruisers and frigates posted up on social media and forums. We will be back in touch with another update as soon as we have some more information on this print delivery.

Kind regards, 

The Hawk Wargames Team

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Goddammit Hawk, I am moving this month and I do not want the delivery to be stuck in redirection limbo!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Games real fun you'll enjoy it when it arrives!

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I built my St. Petersburg finally and am prepping to paint him up, just planning where to put the transfers and there's very few flat surfaces on these UCM ships...

E: New post, not edit, :(

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Did the Nova Open tournament yesterday. Did, uh, ok-ish. 1-1-1 but the win and draw were close while the loss was utter demolition and the lopsidedness of that game gave the eventual winner just enough points.

Unfortunately Hawk Dave re-FAQed Hawk Liam on the Overseer/Warrior interaction so I'll have to change up my list again.

Also the guys in my local meta are really shy about cqb comparatively.

Also I really have to do better about not getting my skimmers blown up before they can get going.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I decided i'll end up keeping the shaltari portion of my groups commodore pledge in addition to the UCM to use as a demo fleet. There's no way i'm getting a deal like that again.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Did the Nova Open tournament yesterday. Did, uh, ok-ish. 1-1-1 but the win and draw were close while the loss was utter demolition and the lopsidedness of that game gave the eventual winner just enough points.

Unfortunately Hawk Dave re-FAQed Hawk Liam on the Overseer/Warrior interaction so I'll have to change up my list again.

Also the guys in my local meta are really shy about cqb comparatively.

Also I really have to do better about not getting my skimmers blown up before they can get going.
What kept getting your skimmers detonatd? Also shy about CQB? down here people throw blobs of dudemans at each other its kinda nuts.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

What kept getting your skimmers detonatd? Also shy about CQB? down here people throw blobs of dudemans at each other its kinda nuts.

Not getting them activated, so they get shot at without the Skimmer-Bonus in the first turn (Or after being Dropped), I'd guess.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Renfield posted:

Not getting them activated, so they get shot at without the Skimmer-Bonus in the first turn (Or after being Dropped), I'd guess.

Yeah this. Aside from the time I forgot about the Hades's AOE :suicide: That was the game I won too.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Reminds me the first time I found out what the Firedrake did.

Oh there goes 4/6 of my Katanas. :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Reminds me the first time I found out what the Firedrake did.

Oh there goes 4/6 of my Katanas. :v:

Yes, except I own a Hades.

Hilariously, there was more prize support than attendees so I got a Shaltari starter, Aegeon (everyone got one to make up for Hawk not showing), and a limited edition battle bus.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

Yes, except I own a Hades.

Hilariously, there was more prize support than attendees so I got a Shaltari starter, Aegeon (everyone got one to make up for Hawk not showing), and a limited edition battle bus.

The (only) thing that annoys me about that, is you get the minis for 6 bases of Braves, but only 4 bases.
It's like plasticard isn't a thing.

(I think the stuff in the Shartari starter comes to about £90 if bought separately, as plastics... so it's not huge deal.... more a minor annoyance.
especially as I got spare bases when I got Firstborn)

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
I've just been painting a vast amount of Dropzone I bought on a whim the other day, getting some Raven As for my starter box infantry, an Eagle and some Longbows. What's the best way to use Longbows? Is it building demolition, smoke coverage or just indirect firing at tanks from two feet away?

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

Bob Smith posted:

I've just been painting a vast amount of Dropzone I bought on a whim the other day, getting some Raven As for my starter box infantry, an Eagle and some Longbows. What's the best way to use Longbows? Is it building demolition, smoke coverage or just indirect firing at tanks from two feet away?

I find it's just sitting there, while Thunder/Firebirds take many turns, rolling lots of 1's to kill them

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Smart Smoke owns, as does building wrecking if you need the numbers to stack up. Longbows are pretty rad.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

(everyone got one to make up for Hawk not showing)

Does this mean they were all locked away in their warehouse packing my dropfleets instead?

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

They actually are done and are holding it back just to harvest the entitled tears on Facebook.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
Ok need some army advice. I bought in on day 1 player a couple of times and barely touched it since. Aiming to rectify that now.

I've got the Shaltari starter, a Gaia, 4 extra bases of troops, jaguar, ocelot, Coyote, 2 spirit gates and 2 Tarantulas. What could I add to get a reasonable 1500 points ?

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
A deck of command cards. Also pigs (pungari) would be a good start, as they are the new hotness for taking objectives (ie winning the game). Is your ocelot one of the new kits that are dual ocelot/panther? You certainly don't have enough AA with what you have listed. Also some yari (or samurai? They still look bad though) may be a good idea, to act as scouts. You don't have to put guns on them, and they enable the swordpoint.

Here's what you have at the moment. That's easily enough gates, not really enough troops and decent on the anti-tank. Nothing fun or special there, though.

code:
Standard Army
Clash: 1071/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1071/1500 pts]
		Gate Group [276 pts]
			Eden Gates: Eden [50 pts]
			Spirit Gates: Spirit [43 pts]
			Haven: Haven [20 pts]
		Court of Elders [205 pts]
			Coyote: Coyote(Warchief) [205 pts]
		Swordpoint [110 pts]
			Tarantula Squad: 2x Tarantula [110 pts]
		Warrior Clan [70 pts]
			Braves: 2x Braves [70 pts]
		Warrior Clan [205 pts]
			Kukri Squad: 3x Kukri [135 pts]
		Warfist [205 pts]
			Jaguar Squad: Jaguar [110 pts]
			Ocelot Squad: Ocelot [95 pts]
If you want to go for the least stuff to get a viable list, I would get either kukris, birdeaters or a totem, pungari and some yaris. That gives you (totem variant - for the other two drop some yaris and strip the ion cannons off):

code:
Quick list
Clash: 1499/1500 points
Standard Army
	Standard Roster [1499/1500 pts]
		Gate Group [276 pts]
		Court of Elders [301 pts]
			Coyote: Coyote(Warchief) [205 pts]
			Yari Squad: 3x Yari(+Light Ion Cannon), Yari [96 pts]
		Swordpoint [224 pts]
			Tarantula Squad: 2x Tarantula [110 pts]
			Tomahawk Squad: 3x Tomahawk [114 pts]
		Warrior Clan [154 pts]
			Pungari: 4x Pungari Auxiliaries [84 pts]
		Warrior Clan [154 pts]
			Pungari: 4x Pungari Auxiliaries [84 pts]
		Warfist [160 pts]
			Jaguar Squad: Jaguar [110 pts]
			Totem: Totem [50 pts]
		Warfist [230 pts]
			Ocelot Squad: Ocelot [95 pts]
			Kukri Squad: 3x Kukri [135 pts]
This list doesn't really have much of a CQB punch, or much of a ranged game, though. Also it may be light on gates as you will want to devote one to carting the totem around. I'm finalising my invasion list and it may use much of what you already have - if so, I'll post it.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
While the glorious Pungarii Proletariat are indeed awesome, if you're just looking to get up and running - Yari (with ion-cannon), the Totem and a Firedragon are the way I'd go.

As you said it's all stuff you got a while ago, I'd assume you have the ocelot only pack - might be worth asking your group if you can proxy it for the new Panther AA-walker

vvv but if he's looking to get a game, while not spending more than he has to, he has enough inf. already

Renfield fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 5, 2016

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Prole Frogs are OP take them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Renfield posted:

vvv but if he's looking to get a game, while not spending more than he has to, he has enough inf. already

Least money is to just get totem and yaris. Swap out the pungari in the above for braves and take an ion cannon on the 4th yari, but I don't think that leaves a very good list!

A firedrake variant would take out the tomahawks and enough yaris to make the points, but is also probably not great as it leaves you very light on focal points on the ground (approx 800 potential scoring units?)