Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I'm on emergency leave and just re-watched Hot Rod for like the 6th or 7th time.

gently caress you, I grieve in my own way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

MurderBot posted:

more smoke & mirrors than it is reality.

I would go for "A Bowl of Bullshit Soup" personally but really, whichever phrase you use, what part of the Army isn't?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

One way to avoid having to drive 200 miles to get promoted in the guard is to have multiple MOS's.

"Oh, that E-6 slot for commo is pretty far away. Got any E-6 supply slots? Etc, etc."

I've got a buddy who has 5 MOS's. 5. Sheesh.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

mlmp08 posted:

I'm on emergency leave and just re-watched Hot Rod for like the 6th or 7th time.

gently caress you, I grieve in my own way.

I just punch dance my grief away in a wooded glen atop a mountain

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I had two, 72E/74C Tactical Telecoms, 45B Small Arms Repair, and was working on a 3rd for basic supply grunt to try and pick up pldc and my E-5.

gently caress med units if you aren't a lab rat, medical, etc.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

McNally posted:

No poo poo, this is how the worst people get promoted. A normal human being isn't willing to drive all the way across the state to pick up E5, whereas the type of guy you don't want in charge of you is.

My understanding of Guard promotions is that it varies from state to state, so YMMV on this, but this is how it worked when I was in where I was:

In order to be promoted, a slot for that rank in your MOS has to be available. There various ways of specifying if and how you'll accept a promotion: Within your current unit, within a specified list of units, within what they consider maximum acceptable driving distance (the higher the rank, the longer the distance), or statewide.

So let's say you're the best SPC in the Guard. Max PT scores, know your job inside and out, a generally likeable guy and you get poo poo done. You have promotion points out the rear end. You're on the top of the points list. But you're not willing to drive to the rear end end of the state for whatever reason (for example, you drive a POS truck that gets 10 gallons to the mile) and the only slot available is in the rear end end of the state.

At the very bottom of the list is a SPC who can barely tie his own shoes. He was thrown out of a SINCGARS class because he didn't know how to hold the handset and kept trying to talk into the earpiece and listen through the microphone. He could gently caress up a wet dream. Doesn't know anything about his job or the proper order of the alphabet, always has a guy like you in the next lane during qualification, and is probably a wife-beating kiddy diddler. He's willing to drive to the rear end end of the state.

Now you have to call him sergeant.

Not an emptyquote

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I like how you put "max your pt test" ahead of knowing your job when you were describing an all start soldier.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

TBeats posted:

I like how you put "max your pt test" ahead of knowing your job when you were describing an all start soldier.

I think he was going off of Big Army's stated order of preference.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

psydude posted:

Yeah, basically. lol if you think being competent is more important than your PT score.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Why is it that no officer is capable of having the correct time. "Take this time to think of any questions. In 25 seconds, the time will be [Thirteen minutes behind everyone else's time]"

They have time linked mobiles, even my obsolete R101 does that. They're doing to gently caress with us, aren't they? :(

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

psydude posted:

This.

My parting words to my unit were "I am great at what I do, I'm just a lovely soldier." because it's true. I was on profile, no PT test in 4 years thanks to injuries, but could rock the gently caress out of whatever crap I had to do in no time flat.

I was hand selected by Australian military to brief their Public Affairs General about a tentative plan for digital media and equipment to buy, and most of all, how to gauge success because big boss men like being able to understand analytics and seeing things like "we are successful because of X" crap. I worked 7AM till 10PM most nights pushing quality video work daily, but got yelled at by my 1SG for not doing PT (injured) eating snacks at night (No DFAC because I was working against a timeline) and not showering despite showering at least once a day because lugging camera equipment will make you sweat. I did a lot for that exercise but was looked at as a shitbag because I couldn't soldier.

Can't run but you can shoot the hair off a tick's rear end stuck on a bloodhound chasing after a rabbit? Too bad, you must run a two mile in under this time. We understand that all of our methods and rules are archaic but gently caress you!

I have a big problem with military promotions. The Australians make you go back to square 1 and become a digger if you switch MOS. no more hitting E4P or E5P and switching MOS because now we have a lovely leader who doesn't know his loving job either.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Soulex posted:

This.

My parting words to my unit were "I am great at what I do, I'm just a lovely soldier." because it's true. I was on profile, no PT test in 4 years thanks to injuries, but could rock the gently caress out of whatever crap I had to do in no time flat.

I was hand selected by Australian military to brief their Public Affairs General about a tentative plan for digital media and equipment to buy, and most of all, how to gauge success because big boss men like being able to understand analytics and seeing things like "we are successful because of X" crap. I worked 7AM till 10PM most nights pushing quality video work daily, but got yelled at by my 1SG for not doing PT (injured) eating snacks at night (No DFAC because I was working against a timeline) and not showering despite showering at least once a day because lugging camera equipment will make you sweat. I did a lot for that exercise but was looked at as a shitbag because I couldn't soldier.

Can't run but you can shoot the hair off a tick's rear end stuck on a bloodhound chasing after a rabbit? Too bad, you must run a two mile in under this time. We understand that all of our methods and rules are archaic but gently caress you!

I have a big problem with military promotions. The Australians make you go back to square 1 and become a digger if you switch MOS. no more hitting E4P or E5P and switching MOS because now we have a lovely leader who doesn't know his loving job either.

It sounds like your unit just didn't like you.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

They didn't.

Jokes on them, I'm loving almost 100% free.

Enjoy Motor Pool Mondays. Enjoy your unit with too many officers with too many fingers in pies. Enjoy the weekends working and the volatile office environment you created. Enjoy your created social environment which resembles arson and vandalism. Enjoy your need to ruin other peoples smiles and good days because I have mine. gently caress you.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Soulex posted:

This.

war is hell

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

only because the army is involved

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

only because the army is involved

QFT

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

peace is a motherfucker

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

spacetoaster posted:

One way to avoid having to drive 200 miles to get promoted in the guard is to have multiple MOS's.

"Oh, that E-6 slot for commo is pretty far away. Got any E-6 supply slots? Etc, etc."

I've got a buddy who has 5 MOS's. 5. Sheesh.

I'm going to attempt to get two secondary MOS. 38G6E and 38G6H the catch is that there is not schoolhouse and you just go before a board based on civilian experience.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

The Australians make you go back to square 1 and become a digger if you switch MOS. no more hitting E4P or E5P and switching MOS because now we have a lovely leader who doesn't know his loving job either.

Yes, because all senior managers need to know how to be a digger. :rolleyes:

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
There is absolutely not a single enlisted rank that is equivalent to being a 'senior manager'.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Senior babysitter is real though.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Discharged from the IRR today, suuuuuck my dick Army.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Grognan posted:

Discharged from the IRR today, suuuuuck my dick Army.

Feels good, don't it?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Yes, because all senior managers need to know how to be a digger. :rolleyes:

Digger = private

I'm not talking about nobles. Y'all are obviously exempt by being superior human genetics.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Noble leadership is different. Lol at calling an NCO a senior manager. An NCO that doesn't know how to do the work is worthless. What are they outside of SMEs of their MOS? Senior Managers of Cut Grass and Policed Parking Lots and Haircuts and Standing At Ease When You're Talking to Me? Wouldn't even qualify as middle management until you get to PL/1SG territory. And in comparison to a traditional corporate hierarchy they're more like the dudes who made it off the assembly line and aren't Union anymore.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

By working the Guard promotion system (ie doing bullshit like changing units to one 150 miles away and poo poo like that) who went from E4 to E7 in like three years.
He also talked his way into being assigned to a unit on the other side of PA but drilling with a local unit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

bulletsponge13 posted:

By working the Guard promotion system (ie doing bullshit like changing units to one 150 miles away and poo poo like that) who went from E4 to E7 in like three years.
He also talked his way into being assigned to a unit on the other side of PA but drilling with a local unit.

there are weasels in the guard who can do this

it's pretty incredible to see tbh

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Does it even matter? Like in the guard I'd imagine # of deployments says 100x more than how long you've "been in", since you spend 98% of your time not army-ing in "garrison".

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Ace of Baes posted:

Does it even matter? Like in the guard I'd imagine # of deployments says 100x more than how long you've "been in", since you spend 98% of your time not army-ing in "garrison".

one guy from my unit got a bronze star (no valor) from our deployment

he was the e-7 paperwork nazi

he put himself in for it of course

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

one guy from my unit got a bronze star (no valor) from our deployment

he was the e-7 paperwork nazi

he put himself in for it of course

I was denied one (no Valor) because I was a SPC.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

he also got a bronze star license plate

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
about 2/3 of my company got purple hearts. exactly one person, my buddy, got a bronze star with v device with the exception of all the e-7 and aboves. everyone deserved the medals they got, except 2 of the 3 platoon sergeants. they were huge pieces of poo poo. way more people in my company deserved at least a loving bronze star.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Mike-o posted:

about 2/3 of my company got purple hearts

jesus christ

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I've told the story before, but two E4s from my company had their valor awards downgraded from Silver Stars to Bronze Stars w/V because they were only SPCs. It's bullshit- their squad leader did get a Silver Star, and they did way more hardcore poo poo. At least everytime their SL was interviewed (it happened a bunch- he was in the Army video game and all that poo poo) and he took them to all these trade shows and cool poo poo where they got free stuff.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Fudge posted:

. Lol at calling an NCO a senior manager.

Oh I would never do that. I was talking about officers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

bulletsponge13 posted:

I've told the story before, but two E4s from my company had their valor awards downgraded from Silver Stars to Bronze Stars w/V because they were only SPCs. It's bullshit- their squad leader did get a Silver Star, and they did way more hardcore poo poo. At least everytime their SL was interviewed (it happened a bunch- he was in the Army video game and all that poo poo) and he took them to all these trade shows and cool poo poo where they got free stuff.

Yeah, this is cited as the reason why because even though my performance warranted it, my SL was a piece of a poo poo and got an ARCOM and "what would that say about him?" And "A soldier can't get awarded higher than his first line" blah blah blah. Doesn't matter. I didn't get one because of my rank. The people who put that poo poo on their NCOERs sure as hell did.

spacetoaster posted:

Oh I would never do that. I was talking about officers.

You only know what a shovel looks like because you use one to shovel all of the salt collectively gathered through the tears of the enlisted to make sure that you can make a neat little path around Sergeant Major's grass and "goddamn it just let him have his grass Bob, can you stop antagonizing him?"

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Soulex posted:

Yeah, this is cited as the reason why because even though my performance warranted it, my SL was a piece of a poo poo and got an ARCOM and "what would that say about him?" And "A soldier can't get awarded higher than his first line" blah blah blah. Doesn't matter. I didn't get one because of my rank. The people who put that poo poo on their NCOERs sure as hell did.

That's the poo poo that pisses me off the most; I look at the citations for MoH recipients, especially the E4's and 5"s and they were part of platoons and squads all in the same poo poo -- could you imagine the blowback if a SNCO where to try and say that they deserve the MoH over their joe, because, "soldier can't get awarded higher than his first line"?

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!
There's a new article making rounds on Facebook on how the Army is broken right now:

http://warontherocks.com/2016/09/si...arly+Bird+Brief

Old news but well written.

TLDR: Risk aversion, micromanagement, bureaucracy, listen to juniors, send people to school, strengthen ethics.

I don't know how it is for the other branches but in aviation we've become so risk averse that its seriously affecting new generations of junior officer's flying careers.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It's affecting soldiers now. gently caress junior flight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokers Gamble
May 31, 2013

Soulex posted:

It's affecting soldiers now. gently caress junior flight

I think the most Army thing I've ever seen was when my first battalion lost a set of nods and a radio at Ramadi. They had every single person in the battalion stop what they were doing and sweep the entire loving base for like 3 days with only 4 hour breaks for sleep. They made us run through the amnesty box like 3 times a day. I think that was my "I'm never ever going to re-enlist" moment.

• Locked thread