Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

It seems to be both an indictment of that particular part of the book, but also a tongue-in-cheek endorsement of it overall. Either way, it sucks as a joke. It's a webcomic about a book about a magic sex wizard with no set up or punch line. Rothfuss and the PA guys seem to be friends:

https://www.penny-arcade.com/news/post/2010/03/03/the-name-of-the-wind
https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2015/12/02/childs-play-strip-by-patrick-rothfuss

They regularly play D&D together. They might be friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The moment I became aware of Rothfuss being so far up his own rear end he can see daylight past his teeth was when in the second book , after SO MUCH BITCHING that loving sweet all had happened in the first book, there's a part where PIRATES ATTACK and he literally uses 2 sentences to just handwave it as nothing big and let's move on.

He writes well, the words flow well. The problem is, he can't tell a story for poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Please forgive me. :(

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The moment I became aware of Rothfuss being so far up his own rear end he can see daylight past his teeth was when in the second book , after SO MUCH BITCHING that loving sweet all had happened in the first book, there's a part where PIRATES ATTACK and he literally uses 2 sentences to just handwave it as nothing big and let's move on.

He writes well, the words flow well. The problem is, he can't tell a story for poo poo.

poo poo, I forgot about that. I remember hitting that point and wondering if the editor had made a mistake or something and accidentally cut text.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i read the chuck tingle Reamed by my Reaction to the Title of this Book and other than the gratuitous gay sex scene, it is surprisingly not awful

WendyO
Dec 2, 2007

Stuporstar posted:

A couple cyberpunk-era authors have attempted pop music centered novels that I know of, but whether or not they're complete pieces of poo poo is up for debate. I read Norman Spinrad's Little Heroes over a decade ago, and the only thing I remember apart from him predicting computer-generated pop stars was that it was mostly a vehicle for Boomer nostalgia about the good old days of rock and roll vs. them damned kids and their MTVees. There was just enough self-aware comedy in it that I'd have to reread it to determine how bad it really is.

I really enjoyed Little Heroes when I read it and still think it's a good book, and might be worth rereading. There is a boomer protagonist in the middle of the cyberpunk music industry, but hers isn't the only opinion on computer-generated popstars; I don't think it's presented as crabby complaints that condemn the whole idea of pop stardom, but show that it has a lot of marketing-driven downsides to go with the positive qualities that a lot of the other characters work with as part of their character arcs. I kind of feel that what keeps it from being just boomer glorification, is that the boomer characters are often demonstratably wrong and short-sighted about issues and consequences that the younger characters of the novels spot coming and work together to fix.

The bad parts of that book and of Spinrad's other cyberpunk novel, Bug Jack Barron, are probably the tone deaf racial stereotypes in my opinion. Paco Monaco was a very interesting character when I first read the book - completely broke, hispanic, and a criminal - but is, overall, kind of hamstrung by the stereotypical latino character spackle that make up the gaps in their characterization.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Mildly Amusing posted:

Just want to point out the little girl's reflection doesn't match up. Her dress is a different color and the hairclip is nowhere to be seen. When i saw that I assumed that the book was going to be about the little girl having a separate personality, but nope.

It's a silent nod to the unacknowledged long term psychological and developmental damage that Laurie will have to deal with later in life. Who she really is won't be what others see for a long time, if ever.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
My latest epistle: The Hugos, the Sad Puppies and 1970s science fiction paperback covers, which were ridiculous - a cleaned up version of my earlier Tumblr rant on the subject, now with pictures! This one's taken off 'cos Scalzi tweeted it. Top image: Andrew Martin having a very bad day. Best discovery: that the guy who did all those paperback covers for Panther in the '70s has a name, he's Chris Foss, and you can buy prints of the book covers.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

divabot posted:

Best discovery: that the guy who did all those paperback covers for Panther in the '70s has a name, he's Chris Foss, and you can buy prints of the book covers.

If you see a spaceship painted in the 70s or early 80s, it could be Chris Foss, it could be Angus McKie, or Peter Elson, or Tony Roberts. All British, all sci-fi illustrators specializing in spaceships, with varying degrees of skill (Foss is probably the best) and very similar styles. No idea who copied whom or if it was a case of parallel evolution, but there used to be 4 guys, all from the same country, all painting spaceships for a living, and you couldn't tell them apart at a glance

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

hackbunny posted:

If you see a spaceship painted in the 70s or early 80s, it could be Chris Foss, it could be Angus McKie, or Peter Elson, or Tony Roberts. All British, all sci-fi illustrators specializing in spaceships, with varying degrees of skill (Foss is probably the best) and very similar styles. No idea who copied whom or if it was a case of parallel evolution, but there used to be 4 guys, all from the same country, all painting spaceships for a living, and you couldn't tell them apart at a glance
You forgot John Berkey, who pretty clearly inspired all of them.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm about to read a book about exploding teenagers who are about to graduate high school and how they deal with the fact that they are now randomly exploding.

I don't expect it to be great, but there's every chance it'll be amazing.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

I'm about to read a book about exploding teenagers who are about to graduate high school and how they deal with the fact that they are now randomly exploding.

This sounds like one of those ideas you wake up at three AM to scribble down because it's genius, and then read it in the morning like, "'Prom queen detonates'? What the gently caress?"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

That sounds like the plot of a decent indie movie I'd find in the back end of Netflix

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You forgot John Berkey, who pretty clearly inspired all of them.

I want a print of every piece that guy has done. I don't know what it is about his works, but he manages to take a subject that's otherwise inherently goofy, and makes it beautiful.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

There's no such thing as a bad premise, only bad execution.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

divabot posted:

Best discovery: that the guy who did all those paperback covers for Panther in the '70s has a name, he's Chris Foss, and you can buy prints of the book covers.
Unrelated to terrible books, but if anyone generally interested in noteworthy beautiful disasters hasn't seen "Jodorowsky's Dune", do. It's an amazing documentary about the eponymous crazy genius' quixotic attempt to bring "Dune" to the screen years before Lynch, and Chris Foss figures in it prominently. Jodorowsky talked him onto the production team on the strength of a pulp cover he found in a used bookstore and just kinda liked. ("I found this thing you made and just kinda liked it" seems to be how Jodo recruits most of his people, bless him.) Is how Foss ended up working with Giger on "Alien".

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Maxwell Lord posted:

There's no such thing as a bad premise, only bad execution.
I dunno, the "mystery novel with a clairvoyant protagonist" idea earlier in the thread seems inherently self-defeating. Maybe you could do some kind of post-modern comedy with that, but I think that would end up counting as a substantially different premise anyway; you certainly wouldn't see it on the same shelf as Agatha Christie.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I dunno, the "mystery novel with a clairvoyant protagonist" idea earlier in the thread seems inherently self-defeating. Maybe you could do some kind of post-modern comedy with that, but I think that would end up counting as a substantially different premise anyway.
Weirdly, this can actually be done. There's a manga called Qualia the Purple, in which the protagonist has literally omnipotent power, but is still challenged. She can replay every choice in her life to try every possible outcome in pursuit of her goals, and when killed just uses quantum immortality to try again. But she's limited by her own mind - she can only make choices she can imagine. Even as an immortal multidimensional god-thing, she's only as smart as a gifted teenager. The only limit in her universe is her.

To describe this comic as 'loving bonkers' does it a disservice.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I dunno, the "mystery novel with a clairvoyant protagonist" idea earlier in the thread seems inherently self-defeating. Maybe you could do some kind of post-modern comedy with that, but I think that would end up counting as a substantially different premise anyway; you certainly wouldn't see it on the same shelf as Agatha Christie.
Nah you could easily write a straight mystery novel with that. You'd just need to be clever with the limitations you placed on the character. Hell, it's one of the better episodes of Fringe - hardly High Art, but it shows it can definitely be done, and done well.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Squidster posted:

Weirdly, this can actually be done. There's a manga called

Haha.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I once had to read some YA book about how depression was made illegal and if you became depressed you got sent to The Facility.

Teens dealing with the existential threat of spontaneous explosion sounds a million times more interesting.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's written from the perspective of a teenage girl (of which I am completely unfamiliar as a middle aged man), but the book is surprisingly good/interesting/humorous.

I thought it'd be some YA yank fest about some special unique snowflake who has two dreamy hunks fighting over her FEELS and then also she's gotta deal with people exploding and ONLY SHE CAN SAVE THE WORLD yet she just wants to chill and paint but THE PEOPLE EXPLODE AND SHE CAN SACRIFICE something and blah blah also she's gorgeous and never has a bad hair day and is possibly a half elf succubus fairy or some poo poo like that, but it's actually a legit mystery of "Why the gently caress are these kids exploding?".

It's called Spontaneous by Aaron Starmer. I feel kinda bad mentioning it in the thread and thinking it was gonna be a train wreck. Some of the writing is a bit weird, but so far it's actually fun.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Squidster posted:

Weirdly, this can actually be done. There's a manga called Qualia the Purple, in which the protagonist has literally omnipotent power, but is still challenged. She can replay every choice in her life to try every possible outcome in pursuit of her goals, and when killed just uses quantum immortality to try again. But she's limited by her own mind - she can only make choices she can imagine. Even as an immortal multidimensional god-thing, she's only as smart as a gifted teenager. The only limit in her universe is her.

Welp, found something new to read.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Go read the Forrest of Hands and Teeth next.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

He writes well, the words flow well.

The protaginist saves a woman from harassment:

quote:

Ambrose stiffened and his arm slid off the back of the chair to fall at his side. His expression was pure venom. “When you’re older, E’lir, you’ll understand that what a man and a woman do together—”

“What? In the privacy of the entrance hall of the Archives?” I gestured around us. “God’s body, this isn’t some brothel. And, in case you hadn’t noticed, she’s a student, not some brass nail you’ve paid to bang away at. If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

[...]

There was a pointed silence from Ambrose, so I lowered my shirt and turned to face Fela, ignoring him entirely. “My lady scriv,” I said to her with a bow. A very slight bow, as my back wouldn’t permit a deep one. “Would you be so good as to help me locate a book concerning women? I have been instructed by my betters to inform myself on this most subtle subject.”

Fela gave a faint smile and relaxed a bit.

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 09:22 on Sep 8, 2016

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

So I found this in the free book share near my apartment. I think it might be the most Boston thing ever:

I'll post some quotes from it when I get home.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

PYF Terrible book: A Gronking to Remember

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Side Effects posted:

So I found this in the free book share near my apartment. I think it might be the most Boston thing ever:

I'll post some quotes from it when I get home.

That's not a real book. The author's name is supposedly Lacey Noonan but on the back cover it says "Lazy Noonerz", and that same italicised sentence contains the word "sex" four times. I mean, "watch Gronk do his thang-thang in the zone place"? If it's not a photoshop it's a parody.

Tiggum has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Sep 8, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"a The Dishes Are Done, Man! book"

Almost certainly fake, but I want to believe.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The protaginist saves a woman from harassment:

Honestly none of this bothers me, and I really liked how the lovely-to-women as a defining villain trait covers a range of behaviors that all boil down to 'takes advantage of people with less power' instead of just rapes and beatings.

I think a lot of the division over Kovothe and name of the wind is because he's basically a classical hero. He's got a hidden noble heritage, preternatural gifts, magical accessories, interactions with spirits and higher powers, he even brings in a bit of the tragic by chasing down a mystery that all but screams DOOM every time he gets closer to it. There is no real way to ground that poo poo, to make it relatable to a modern audience, without squashing the entire hero fantasy element. I think Rothfuss succeeds more than he fails, but a lot of that is probably tied into my own personal tolerance level for heroic fantasy bullshit which is high to begin with and expands with any hint of an unreliable narrator.

And now I feel like I'm just derailing, so some actual content to make up for it. I mentioned Forrest of Hands and Teeth Post-apocalyptic zombie story meets a The Villiage sort of mystery. Our lead protagonist lives in a fenced-off village under the constant threat of zombie attack, and although there are fenced off roads, no one ever comes or leaves; the community is very isolated and conservative. She's doing some scut work for the nuns who are obviously hiding some big secret about the village/the world outside, when she comes across a stranger. Next time she sees the stranger, she's a zombie outside the fence and a really fast one. Nuns lie about there always having been fast zombies and it's no big deal. Of course it is because fast-zombie leads to the village falling, and the four survivors must journey down the fenced-off roads to see what else is out there.

Feeling invested in the mystery of the nuns, the isolated village, and what the rest of the world might be like? Too loving bad because this is a YA book and all teens care about are love triangles. There village had an arranged marriage custom, and the night of the fall the lead and her best friend were married to the only two boys in their podunk town. The lead will spend 90% of the book agonizing over how she loves one brother but is married to the other one, and banged him on their wedding night so maybe she doesn't hate him and he loves her but she loves his brother who loves her but let his brother have her because his brother loved her... None of the mysteries presented in the first half of the book ever get resolved in the least bit; it's all just window dressing for a whiny, tepid romance between boring people who can't wrap their heads around the idea that with their families dead and their village gone, there is nothing and no one standing in the way of them just dropping the marriage thing. Who loving cares at this point!? loving Twilight is a better book than this! At least the girl chooses her guy and they get together, at least you have an idea of how vampires and werewolves work, at least the big conflict with the evil vampires happens and is resolved!

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

there wolf posted:

Honestly none of this bothers me, and I really liked how the lovely-to-women as a defining villain trait covers a range of behaviors that all boil down to 'takes advantage of people with less power' instead of just rapes and beatings.
How about lovely-to-women as a protagonist trait? "If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Tiggum posted:

That's not a real book. The author's name is supposedly Lacey Noonan but on the back cover it says "Lazy Noonerz", and that same italicised sentence contains the word "sex" four times. I mean, "watch Gronk do his thang-thang in the zone place"? If it's not a photoshop it's a parody.

It's a real book. Here's the Amazon link if you want your own copy. The woman who wrote the book got sued over the cover and had to change it into what you see there because she used photos for the cover without permission. Here's a link to the court case.

It's also a badly written attempt at parody. The author is trying way to hard to be funny and winds up being both irritating and boring at the same time. Imagine that one friend who, every time you talk about baseball/football/etc., just has to interject with "Sports ball! Its when you bring the hand egg to the end place!!!!! Sports!!!!!" except it's EVERY conversation. That's where the 'zone-place' part of the back cover comes from. There are some nuggets of brilliance in there though.

Apparently the original cover looked like this:

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Side Effects posted:

It's also a badly written attempt at parody. The author is trying way to hard to be funny and winds up being both irritating and boring at the same time.

Reading Chuck Tingle and thinking "that's surreal genius" and "I could do that", without realising that Chuck is legit schizophrenic, and his work is only as readable as it is because his son Jon edits it into shape.

(I still want to know who does Tingle's graphic design though, it's frankly genius and shows the power of a cover to sell a book.)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

divabot posted:

Reading Chuck Tingle and thinking "that's surreal genius" and "I could do that", without realising that Chuck is legit schizophrenic, and his work is only as readable as it is because his son Jon edits it into shape.

(I still want to know who does Tingle's graphic design though, it's frankly genius and shows the power of a cover to sell a book.)

I'm almost entirely certain the reddit AMA that his "son" did was a giant joke on people taking his poo poo too seriously.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

divabot posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that bio is 100% fictional, and "Chuck Tingle" is a (non-schizophrenic) skilled parody writer and internet troll.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
[Never mind.]

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

pookel posted:

How about lovely-to-women as a protagonist trait? "If you’re going to force yourself on a woman, have the decency to do it in an alleyway. At least that way she’ll feel justified screaming about it.”

Is this a joke? Kovoth isn't literally telling Ambrose to go rape a woman. He's pointing out that what Ambrose is doing is forcing himself on a woman, and he's deliberately doing it where his victim is discouraged or unable to defend herself by making a scene. It's the way actual sexual predators act and it's loving refreshing to see any novel, much less a fantasy one, call that poo poo out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
"Heh, why don't you go rape a woman instead of just harassing one :smug:"

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

"Heh, why don't you go rape a woman instead of just harassing one :smug:"
Yeah, this. Smarmy and gross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, that's just... really not a great argument against the protagonist and book being insufferable. Christ, the smarm.