Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which country won WW1?
The United States
USA
America
View Results

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
Did WWI really have gigantic trains covered in guns tooting around? If not I'm going to be very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

KM Scorchio posted:

Did WWI really have gigantic trains covered in guns tooting around? If not I'm going to be very sad.

WWI had train-based artillery guns that were among the largest weapons on land.

Dr. Scheme
Apr 28, 2013

KM Scorchio posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armoured_train#World_War_I

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Being a ginormous scrub that always loses 1v1 firefights, this felt amazing.

https://webmshare.com/play/D3rZj

ps how do I embed webm

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Been enjoying the hell out of the Beta so far, but does anyone know if there's an in-game screenshot button (or a button in Shadowplay for screenshots)? Print Screen key did nothing but give me a white screen, and I had a 37-0 round driving the Light Tank that I wanted to use as proof that I'm good at a video game show to some friends.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Ofaloaf posted:

Just add some goons on origin, and then join whatever game they're in.

where's the list?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
One of the most satisfying things I've managed so far is shooting down bombers with tank artillery rounds :allears: I've only pulled it off twice but it's great when it happens.

Also my first foray into piloting a bomber was a total disaster, it took me slowly careening into the ground to realise that W/S are defaulted to throttle not pitch, what the christ is that?? :psyduck:

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I can't use any kind of vehicle because rebinding them to my left-handed control scheme don't do poo poo.

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

I finally earned a medal. No fanfare, no Wilhelm scream. As far as I can tell, it doesn't confer anything.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Target Practice posted:

Nose-gunning for the bomber is waaaaaay more fun than gunning in a chopper in 4.

This is my favourite spot to be in a vehicle when the pilot is a friend on comes and can swing round as needed, 1900's AC-130 :black101:

The Jumpoff posted:

Been enjoying the hell out of the Beta so far, but does anyone know if there's an in-game screenshot button (or a button in Shadowplay for screenshots)? Print Screen key did nothing but give me a white screen, and I had a 37-0 round driving the Light Tank that I wanted to use as proof that I'm good at a video game show to some friends.

Alt+F1 is the default screenshot shortcut in the latest shadowplay/nvidia share thing.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 4, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just kept the enemy team from using a single tank all game on conquest. Sat on the stone bridge near G with a light tank and lit up all their tanks and horsemen as the tried to ride forward from F. Most of them couldn't even see me because they were using first-person view instead of third, and their viewports didn't angle high enough.

16 vehicles destroyed in one match

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Lots of viewports seem messed up. One of the train guns, some kind of machine gun, you need to be staring at the sky to shoot anywhere but within 1 foot of the rails. It's absurd.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

mcbexx posted:

I want to like it, because it's BATTLEFIELD, but I think I'm going to sit this one out, which is a first for me and the Battlefield series.

I am, as I admitted above, partial to old Battlefield games (1942, 43, and Vietnam were the only games I played prior to 4) but it's obvious this game is a huge step sideways from 4. They made such a big deal about destructible terrain and maps that change mid-game when buildings implode and poo poo, and here this demo is like "have a great big field of rocks and client-side sandstorms."

Boiled Water posted:

At least DICE has the decency to provide us with a demo that shows just how bad this one will be.

They always do.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Chronojam posted:

Lots of viewports seem messed up. One of the train guns, some kind of machine gun, you need to be staring at the sky to shoot anywhere but within 1 foot of the rails. It's absurd.

I wish all of the vehicle seats let you use 3rd person view. The land cruiser's sponsons do, but I think that's all. Maybe the heavy tank too? The viewports are nice for precision firing while stationary, but if you are capping a point or something, it's way more useful to see the area around you to spot enemies so other gunners can hit them, and with the canister shot, you really never need to aim in first person anyway. It's basically loving impossible to hit anything as a passenger if the vehicle is moving, because the small viewports just bounce around like crazy and the vehicles move faster than the guns track, so anything you hit is by pure luck. The machine guns on the jeeps are almost completely useless for the same reason - it's a joke trying to hit anything with them while you're moving, but the second you stop you are just going to get dinged in the head by one of a thousand snipers. They are good for getting from point A to B, at least, but I'd honestly take a horse over a jeep 100% of the time.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Rolling out bolt actions is so much fun, adjusting your sights to 300 metres and picking off glints in the distance while they're none the wiser is too satisfying.

RiperSnifler
Aug 19, 2005
Well shit

Monocled Falcon posted:

I can't use any kind of vehicle because rebinding them to my left-handed control scheme don't do poo poo.
This and the spawn with no weapons bug are really preventing me from enjoying the beta

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Beta is kind of neat but another example that the series needs to make sniper rifles a occasional (limited ammo) item you can spawn with instead of a class. Then maybe your team would do slightly more attacking.

No gun start is a fun challenge mode too.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If they did that, they'd just get 63 idiots sitting by the sniper rifle spawns bitching at each other to go away.

Better option: delete snipers entirely. Force idiots to be something useful. It's the only way.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Killed a plane with a heavy tank today. Glad to see I'll be able to keep doing my favorite thing.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I for one am glad that half the team isn't waiting for a plane in our spawn

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I'm finding snipers to be really powerful. On the other team of course, but the lack of long ranged ARs really does seem to have changed up the game alot. And there's a lot of open ground to cross in rush.

BTW, any way I can friend a bunch of goons to play with?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012
Origin friend cap is 2000 now so I actually have room and don't have to delete people all the time. Also don't forget if you want the Beta dig tags you will need to have played on 4 or more days and be level 15 or higher, just in case anyone is close and wants them.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

On the bright side, most of the snipers will probably just stick to deathmatch games in the full release. They are definitely powerful against infantry, but in Conquest / Rush they are also doing jack poo poo to actually help win the game, and most of the capture points are designed with enough cover that some dude hiding 500 meters away in a pile of rocks isn't actually going to be able to kill people that are on the flag unless they are just standing right in the open.

It's annoying when someone gets a lucky shot from a mile away while you're sprinting across open ground, but that also means one less enemy who will be contesting your capture attempts. Also you can just hop in the tank hunter land cruiser or grab the AT gun and beat them at their own game, which I'm sure makes them shart their jorts in rage. And running cavalry against them is amazingly cathartic.

The most annoying thing about snipers is when they are all on your team. I can't even imagine how long it takes to rank up / get unlocks when you are constantly going 4/0 or 4/1 every game and have 0 objective points. Gotta maintain that K/D ratio though...

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Based on previous battlefields I can assure you. They're still going to play objective modes, and they're still going to be terrible.

Even a bunch of cover is not going to prevent them from hiding on a cliff. Look at Firestorm.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
They're going to play objective modes specifically because of the objectives. In TDM, people playing to win need to hunt them down. In conquest, the best thing you can do to win is ignore them, which is exactly what they want - a shooting gallery that doesn't fight back is the entire point of sniping.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I just kept the enemy team from using a single tank all game on conquest. Sat on the stone bridge near G with a light tank and lit up all their tanks and horsemen as the tried to ride forward from F. Most of them couldn't even see me because they were using first-person view instead of third, and their viewports didn't angle high enough.

16 vehicles destroyed in one match

I didn't even know there was 3rd person

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm tempted to just go support with smoke grenades and just flood the map with smoke or gas until they give up and go away.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

goodness posted:

I didn't even know there was 3rd person

Hit C. Way easier to find things, terrible if you want to shoot stuff because I think the sights aren't aligned properly.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lazyfire posted:

Hit C. Way easier to find things, terrible if you want to shoot stuff because I think the sights aren't aligned properly.

The sights are actually aligned in vehicles towards 3rd person; you can hit stuff in tanks that you can't even see in 1st over supposed ridges. It's especially noticable in the flank variant of the light tank.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm tempted to just go support with smoke grenades and just flood the map with smoke or gas until they give up and go away.

I was having decent luck on rush doing a medic smokescreen spam. Grab smokes nades and smoke rifle grenades. 5 smoke grenades can lay down a nice sheet of cover.

vvvvv It absolutely is. Funnest plane in a BF game ever for me.

blindwoozie fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 5, 2016

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Tank Buster attack plane is amazing.

That is all.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I found this game to be pretty casualized, still prefer battlefield 4 but maybe pick it up once the GOTY goes on sale

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

xyigx posted:

Origin friend cap is 2000 now so I actually have room and don't have to delete people all the time. Also don't forget if you want the Beta dig tags you will need to have played on 4 or more days and be level 15 or higher, just in case anyone is close and wants them.

Finally. gently caress. Took them long enough.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

Smelly posted:

Based on previous battlefields I can assure you. They're still going to play objective modes, and they're still going to be terrible.

Even a bunch of cover is not going to prevent them from hiding on a cliff. Look at Firestorm.
That just means you get to take a jeep and run over the snipers.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

James The 1st posted:

That just means you get to take a jeep and run over the snipers.

Riding around on horseback and sabering all the snipers that like to camp out next to F is a lot of fun. They always have such tunnel vision that they don't notice until it's too late, and even if they see you coming, 99% of the time they panic and choke and either hit your horse or miss you completely.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

ColoradoCleric posted:

I found this game to be pretty casualized, still prefer battlefield 4 but maybe pick it up once the GOTY goes on sale

Can you believe that DICE is catering to casuals? Ugh, they keep trying to get the Call of Duty crowd through methods I can't name.

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
What are yall's favorite/most effective loadouts? My absolute fave is:

Assault
Heavy Shotgun (use it like a slower, more powerful medic gun)
1911 and Spiked Club for CQC
Rocket Rifle for vehicles and entrenched snipers
Anti-tank Grenades for tanks and room clearing
Gas Grenades for caping/defending objectives

There are almost no situations this loadout can't handle IMO.

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 5, 2016

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I'm not understanding Medic guns. The low recoil and damage combined with the high rate of fire suggests they're spamy but I'm not hitting anything that way. I guess maybe the spread added per shot is much higher than the other stats should suggest.

Seems bizarre, given that smgs and sniper rifles perform pretty much the same.

xyigx posted:

BF name.

Ohmygodsquad
Dec 14, 2005
I really enjoy hugging other planes with my plane and flying us both into the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

On the bright side, most of the snipers will probably just stick to deathmatch games in the full release. They are definitely powerful against infantry, but in Conquest / Rush they are also doing jack poo poo to actually help win the game, and most of the capture points are designed with enough cover that some dude hiding 500 meters away in a pile of rocks isn't actually going to be able to kill people that are on the flag unless they are just standing right in the open.

It's annoying when someone gets a lucky shot from a mile away while you're sprinting across open ground, but that also means one less enemy who will be contesting your capture attempts. Also you can just hop in the tank hunter land cruiser or grab the AT gun and beat them at their own game, which I'm sure makes them shart their jorts in rage. And running cavalry against them is amazingly cathartic.

The most annoying thing about snipers is when they are all on your team. I can't even imagine how long it takes to rank up / get unlocks when you are constantly going 4/0 or 4/1 every game and have 0 objective points. Gotta maintain that K/D ratio though...

I don't think the egos of the career snipers can long handle always being at the bottom of the scoreboard, considering how many points you get for capturing points in this game.