Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I'm pretty sure those cyclops guys would have been almost impossible if that hill wasn't at a nice incline that made them wiff their attacks

any idea how much longer this thing is up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Yodzilla posted:

Wait what was it before?

L2 to aim, R2 to fire. There was only one ammo type, and you had to equip it in the menu. No quickswitch for them either, though it didn't matter since there were only bows.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

L2 to aim, R2 to fire.

yeah you could aim and fire without needing to let go of the aiming stick so the headshots were even more sick

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Fonzarelli posted:

I'm pretty sure those cyclops guys would have been almost impossible if that hill wasn't at a nice incline that made them wiff their attacks

any idea how much longer this thing is up?

ends the 6th

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Trick Question posted:

I'm not sure how good you would have to be to prevent the game from crashing, but I'm definitely not getting there in three days.

I'm not sure how much dueling phantoms would help, since like 75% of the enemies seem to be demons which, as far as I can tell, ignore a lot of gameplay mechanics or use them differently.

Yeah I have to apologize, I was a little drunk when I typed that. Sorry it's crashing for you, I'm honesty surprised how good and solid the alpha and beta have been.

Just in general everything about how this game has been rolled out is unusual for a Japanese company.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ninjutsu builds are so hilariously overpowered for boss fights.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Ninjutsu builds are so hilariously overpowered for boss fights.

What skills are you taking?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I haven't done a Ninjutsu build myself, I'm just talking from what I've read. This Reddit thread sums it up pretty well. Basically you have ridiculous amounts of throwing items that do tons of damage, and since you can fight at range it makes bosses super easy.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I can kill that fight in about 45 seconds with about 3 hits from my spear. How is this over powered?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Because what you're doing requires a lot more skill than just spamming shurikens.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
jesus the field area where the side mission takes place is a goldmine for getting loot from revenants. i pretty much replaced my entire gear set that i finished the first mission with in like 15 minutes

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
That's not "overpowered" that's just doing what it's supposed to. Ninjitsu kind of sucks in a lot of situations, and excels in boss fights with room to dodge. Magic is really good at boss fights too, but group fights are a nightmare with it (and it needs a smoke bomb as a setup a lot of time because the cast times are ridiculous).

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 4, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Hrmm I really don't think I like fighting a whole lot of guys at once in Nioh. The twilight field level is just kind of a mess of visual noise, uneven terrain, and clumps of enemies. They don't really fight together but instead just sort of flail around together in a big ball of hurt.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
That's the only problem I have with the game so far. I had to kite group all over the room and hit them once with the spear because otherwise I could never get a hit in.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah in games like Batman and other brawlers it's set up where enemies don't all just attack at once and group fights are manageable because of it. I mean hell even Ninja Gaiden did it because those were set encounters.

In Nioh there are tooltips about fighting multiple things being foolish but there's not a lot you can do about that if they just all spawn in! I can't recall any areas in the Souls games that treat encounters like that. You always can control over who you pull and where in the environments.

Also boy do the amrita memories do nothing for me. They're almost all "nooo don't kill me!"

e: also it's kind of hilarious that you can get unique drops from revenants. I now have the Warrior of the East's helmet!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Haha holy poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlm24kBFtU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Yeah that's bound to happen anytime you get to choose when the encounter starts. Takes a lot of investment though.
As for group fights, your only real option, apart from the dubious "get good" (aka "get lucky with animation syncs") is smoke bombs and running. Running lets you lose stragglers and cut down the numbers you have to fight that way (doesn't work in that side mission, but I suspect that's why that one is a side mission not a primary). Smoke Bombs make everyone who saw you run into the smoke and stand there happily taking hits. Quickdraw, the Axe spinning attack, Spear spinning attack, Axe Charge, Dual Sword rapid slash, grenades or straight up attacking will destroy groups after a smoke bomb.

And everybody gets enough ninja points at the start of the game for free to get smoke bomb (and have 1 left over for stuff like backstabs).

Consumable grenades can also help.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 4, 2016

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Doing the parry attacks to get i-frames and doing pulse Iai quickdraws also make group fights easier, the quickdraw is so loving good in this game that it's ridiculous.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

Yeah, quickdraw is amazing and I can't wait to get the Tier 4 versions Muneshige does. Ki-Break (easily done through the Ki-Sword-Burst)->Iai->Iai->Iai->Grounded Grapple is the most broken thing.

Also the Bull Guardian Spirit and a CC Health Recovery weapon with a heavy armor build is hilarious. My tanky character heals for 200+ health every time I kill an enemy, and every time the host picks up a thing, or a yokai takes enough damage to bleed some xp I get healed some more. I hope they buff up the various "when getting hit heal for x" affixes, because they're kind of garbage.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 5, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
In both main missions included in the demon there is exactly 0 forced encounters with multiple foes you cannot avoid or kill one before the fight begins. Any notion to the contrary was you bumbling into it when there was a better option or an optional area. It isn't till twilight and the sub mission where you have to fight anything in a group.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

In both main missions included in the demon there is exactly 0 forced encounters with multiple foes you cannot avoid or kill one before the fight begins. Any notion to the contrary was you bumbling into it when there was a better option or an optional area. It isn't till twilight and the sub mission where you have to fight anything in a group.

Headshotting an enemy before a fight is definitely ideal but its not always possible, or the headshot might not one-shot depending on your stats. In the 2nd level in particular there are a lot of multiple encounters right around tight corners.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
And what ones of them are multiple enemies and not optional?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Belzac posted:

And what ones of them are multiple enemies and not optional?

Plenty? Did you block out your memory of the beginning of the second level or something?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I suppose it's possible but the only one I can vaugely think of is the very very very start where you can kill one with an arrow before triggering the other. All the rest are solos, patroling guys that you can wait out, or just very easy to kill one with a gun shot to the head before engaging. The only places where guys are linked around corners are the optional doors to open.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

RatHat posted:

Plenty? Did you block out your memory of the beginning of the second level or something?

there are windows in all the patrol routes for sniping and stone thowing to draw everyone one at a time but its tedious as gently caress

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I just played through ALL of the second level in normal mode only fighting one enemy at a time. Good to know I was justified.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can get Onryoki down to a third off his health just punching before getting greedy and dying. Turns out not being able to Ki pulse to remove Yokai pools fucks you up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can't ki pulse with fists? That's kind of a big problem.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RatHat posted:

You can't ki pulse with fists? That's kind of a big problem.

Nope. No Ki pulses, no sneakup attacks, just one two punches and a kick.

I would say they don't expect you to fight barehanded, but there's explicitly a skill that raises unarmed damage so :shrug:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe they'll make an unarmed skill tree for the full game.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I'm surprised there still isn't a hammer tree

E: Oh poo poo I hadn't noticed

tap my mountain fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Sep 5, 2016

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Hammers are just classified as axes.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Phantasium posted:

Nope. No Ki pulses, no sneakup attacks, just one two punches and a kick.

I would say they don't expect you to fight barehanded, but there's explicitly a skill that raises unarmed damage so :shrug:

Use Salt.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Doesn't salt only remove ki from yokai? I didn't think it removed yokai circles too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Belzac posted:

Use Salt.

Nah, that doesn't sound like a challenge run!

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I do hope they make unarmed viable. I put a point in that skill for the hell of it and I managed to parry the very first attack and stab the dude with his own sword :feelsgood:

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

RatHat posted:

Doesn't salt only remove ki from yokai? I didn't think it removed yokai circles too.

It does.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zytzDLOFKs&t=21682s

Oh wait, I should be dying now!

jasoneatspizza fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 5, 2016

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I don't know if the clip you linked is what you meant to show but I learned from it that the idle sword out animation for high stance has you very very very very slowly move backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Passburger
May 4, 2013
Is there anything that can be done when people you visit get stupid and die? Like an item or something to revive them? Not that I'm actually gonna use it, but just outta curiosity.