Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich

dicks assassin posted:

Truck driving is a low skill position, but it's not a no skill position. No skill positions are painting lines on the roads, which will increase dramatically once self driving cars become available.

Just send a truck with good sensors to paint lines for the ones without.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

computer parts posted:

Except they won't, because truck driving as it currently exists is not a high skill position.

With how many humans there are that suck at driving, I intend to disagree

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That's weird, Reuters/Ipsos changes its models to assuming that minority turnout is massively reduced and white turnout reaches record levels, and suddenly Trump is picking up traditionally whiter states he didn't have before!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Epic High Five posted:

That's weird, Reuters/Ipsos changes its models to assuming that minority turnout is massively reduced and white turnout reaches record levels, and suddenly Trump is picking up traditionally whiter states he didn't have before!

The only explanation is that Reuters/Ipsos knows something we don't. With that in mind, their plans are obvious: Reuters/Ipsos intends to enact RaHoWa as their October surprise.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
CS is worse than the original Arzy because at least you could point and laugh at his terrible Romneybot politics.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

DOOP posted:

What are you talking about, nobody has a problem with drioh my god is that an extremely tiny patch of ice

*rapidly spins wheel like i'm on an episode of speed racer, careens out of control into the nearest snowbank*

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Popular Thug Drink posted:

touchscreens wont replace fast food workers. voice recognition agents will. currently fast food restaurants hire employees to man the touchscreens because joe burgerbuyer is slow as gently caress at using a touchscreen

No they won't. Voice recognition is like talking to a deaf grandma whose first language is Gaelic. Touchscreens are as sensitive as a leper's kneecaps. Both of them suck.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Filthy Hans posted:

Could someone please point me to state poll aggregates?

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/state/

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

thanks duder

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

DOOP posted:

I suspect we're going to have more than a few years of truck drivers doing what airline pilots do now: not much on the open highway, but a whole hell of a lot in cities, parking lots, and inclement weather.

What's weird is people acting like self-driving cars are an all/nothing dichotomy. There's a lot of "driver assistance" technology in between, you guys.

Bobbin Threadbare fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 5, 2016

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

DOOP posted:

It's not easy, but it's generally getting easier. Truck driving is just also an unpleasant, long hours job that is the backbone of the economy.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

Their methodology in their state polls seems wildly hosed. Even beyond their small sample sizes (isn't MoE on groups that size like 7-10%?), it just feels like their 'state polls' just being a cut-out of their national poll is likely to be even more inaccurate.

That said I don't know much about poll science so I may just be going full-on GOP "feelings over facts" :v:

It's sort of like the post hoc analysis issue in clinical trials. A really good trial to investigate an intervention on a studied population starts to break down when you cut the population into increasingly small subgroups after the fact. I imagine a similar issue is occurring here. A good national poll can't just be cut into 50 subgroups and expect the analysis to still hold.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I suspect we're going to have more than a few years of truck drivers doing what airline pilots do now: not much on the open highway, but a whole hell of a lot in cities, parking lots, and inclement weather.

What's weird is people acting like self-driving cars are an all/nothing dichotomy. There's a lot of "driver assistance" technology in between, you guys.
The issue is that laws right now are indeed "all or nothing", right? Either you're completely in control and have responsibility over the vehicle or you don't. How is that going to be squared with auto drive features creeping in?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Will truck auto pilot significantly reduce the amount of trucks cutting me off going 10-15mph slower than me?

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Will truck auto pilot significantly reduce the amount of trucks cutting me off going 10-15mph slower than me?

No, in fact all the automated trucks will take great care to drive perfectly parallel to each other across all traffic lanes at their matched speeds. Enjoy the grimdark future.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

The issue is that laws right now are indeed "all or nothing", right? Either you're completely in control and have responsibility over the vehicle or you don't. How is that going to be squared with auto drive features creeping in?

It's already squared away, and it basically works like airline pilots. You can turn on the driver assistance programs, you can even rely on them, but you have to be paying enough attention to the road to correct your course and speed if they fail. This means you can offer more attention to the sound system or the other people in the car, but sadly the days of reading a good book while behind the wheel is a decade or more ahead of us.

Also, IANAL but I'm pretty sure civil law courts can assign percentages of blame when there's more than one defendant.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Yinlock posted:

What are you talking about, nobody has a problem with drioh my god is that an extremely tiny patch of ice

*rapidly spins wheel like i'm on an episode of speed racer, careens out of control into the nearest snowbank*

If terrorists were any good at their jobs, they would just get a mobile snow-making machine and drive it through downtown Atlanta

It would shut down everything

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

The emphasis on Self-Driving cars (Autos seems to be the going term) is that it will have the single largest visible effect on the labour force as there's something like 30 million jobs world wide that could vanish* in an extremely short amount of time as soon as insurance companies give the green light.

*Or as other say, becomes a minimum wage position.

I'm reminded of how in The Expanse the Earth United Nations government seems to have some sort of tiered Min-Income social safety net probably as a result of what we see today.

I don't think it will be in a short period of time.

For one, trucks are expensive. The average fleet age is like 10-15 years. Even if it doubled the rate of sales you're still talking about 10-15 years.

Two, drivers often do more than just drive. Often times they will help load or unload. My father has a retirement job "driving" for a farm equipment dealership. A large part of what he does is picking up equipment for repair or sometimes even repairing some of the stuff on the spot.

The most likely scenario is that we will see a gradual phase out of driving/trucking jobs over decades, not a cataclysmic mass lay off of tens of millions of people.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

CelestialScribe posted:

Jesus Christ no. I'm saying denying Trump lead in these states is akin to believing in poll unskewing or whatever bullshit conservatives are spouting.

...from one polling firm

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Subvisual Haze posted:

No, in fact all the automated trucks will take great care to drive perfectly parallel to each other across all traffic lanes at their matched speeds. Enjoy the grimdark future.

My bird shall fly forth like an eagle.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Why is Bernie going around publicly calling for Hillary to cut ties with her foundation?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Why is Bernie going around publicly calling for Hillary to cut ties with her foundation?

He's still sick of hearing about her emails.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Cause he's stupid.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I mention this not because I agree with Sanders but because it pays to be specific, in this forum of all places: he said she should cut ties if she becomes president

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Oh well that's fine. She already was going to do that anyway.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

emdash posted:

I mention this not because I agree with Sanders but because it pays to be specific, in this forum of all places: he said she should cut ties if she becomes president

Can't Bill just run it?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Chelsea is going to run it, Bill will also be cutting ties.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

greatn posted:

Chelsea is going to run it, Bill will also be cutting ties.

Seems fair to me but what does Drudge say? ***Fartttttttt*** you say?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Guy got arrested in Broward County for violating bond conditions and will now be facing federal charges for transmitting threatening messages on Facebook.

quote:

My events are selling out cause you [people] are total patsies. None of you deserve to live. If you losers thought the Pulse nightclub shooting was bad, wait till you see what I'm planning for Labor Day...You can never catch a genius from MIT and since you fa****s aren’t dying from AIDS anymore, I have a better solution to exterminate you losers. I’m going to be killing you fa** faster than cops kill nig****. It’s time to clean up Wilton Manors from all you AIDS-infested losers.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Glad the feds took him in. If it was the locals they'd probably release him and then you end up with a situation like the dude who got released after running an immigrant's mom over then getting back from jail and shooting him.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

Not to make light of this or anything but because the asterisks I originally read the threat as against "you farts" and that was much funnier and more original.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

alpha_destroy posted:

Not to make light of this or anything but because the asterisks I originally read the threat as against "you farts" and that was much funnier and more original.

I thought this was a case of fat-shaming extremism for a brief, drowsy moment.

Edit: "wait... AIDS?"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Epic High Five posted:

Is it just crappy polling to drum up horse race attention or do they really think the opposite of reality will happen here?

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

BiohazrD posted:

What does this even mean?

Self driving cars, as they are being done now using neural networks, are shunned by the controls field of academia for good reason. It's the 90s all over again, except in industry instead of labs like UC Berkley.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is anything about what he said fundamentally wrong?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sorus posted:

Automation doesn't have to be flawless, it just has to be better than humans.

I think it has to be way better because humans are irrational idiots and one death caused by an autobot is worth at least 100 caused by an idiot fellow human. People will lose their drat minds over the idea of their kids being run over by some drat gizmo.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Geostomp posted:

Is it just crappy polling to drum up horse race attention or do they really think the opposite of reality will happen here?

It's probably the first unless they're anticipating enormous amounts of Democratic votes being driven out to the boonies and burned by desperate state GOP parties, which if that's the case they need to be honest

I lean toward the former tho because they changed it without telling anybody and it took weeks to get the new info out of them. Of course they're the media so obviously they can't do anything wrong

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

It's already squared away, and it basically works like airline pilots. You can turn on the driver assistance programs, you can even rely on them, but you have to be paying enough attention to the road to correct your course and speed if they fail. This means you can offer more attention to the sound system or the other people in the car, but sadly the days of reading a good book while behind the wheel is a decade or more ahead of us.

Also, IANAL but I'm pretty sure civil law courts can assign percentages of blame when there's more than one defendant.
If they're gonna handle responsibility the way it's handled for airline pilots then it's gotta be made a lot harder to get a driver's license. Not that I wouldn't be all for that, mind you.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Also lmao talking about automation on labor day weekend? Disrespectful. Here I'll join you:

If poo poo gets bad enough my plan is to smash up robots and wreck up any factory that uses them overwhelmingly because automation is wrecking the playing field in America more than anything else and it's abundantly clear that poo poo all is going to get done unless automation is given some extra costs to factor in before everybody gets laid off.

edit - the extra costs are the costs of replacing the machine a few times if it's located near enough angry unemployed people

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

Also lmao talking about automation on labor day weekend? Disrespectful. Here I'll join you:

If poo poo gets bad enough my plan is to smash up robots and wreck up any factory that uses them overwhelmingly because automation is wrecking the playing field in America more than anything else and it's abundantly clear that poo poo all is going to get done unless automation is given some extra costs to factor in before everybody gets laid off.

And the posters name was Ned Ludd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they're gonna handle responsibility the way it's handled for airline pilots then it's gotta be made a lot harder to get a driver's license. Not that I wouldn't be all for that, mind you.

CDLs are already different from normal driver's licenses, though obviously they can be tightened up too.

• Locked thread