Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It is without a doubt the greatest unintentional nickname I've seen in a long time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

It is without a doubt the greatest unintentional nickname I've seen in a long time.

The best part is he didn't realize it for a few days and he was posting "I love big burritos" and people would be "yea sure ya do".

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When people ask me if there is a god, I ask them if evolution could come up with a celebrity whose name can be misconstrued as Donglover.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Poor bastard

At that point i probably definitely woulda considered making a new account

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

Poor bastard

At that point i probably definitely woulda considered making a new account

Anyone else would have but he's hilarious so he just rolled with it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well somehow I binged through the entirety of Ms. Marvel volume 1 in a day I loved it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Dan Slott wrote a good Hank Pym in Mighty Avengers.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

A better man than I

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

Well somehow I binged through the entirety of Ms. Marvel volume 1 in a day I loved it.

Kamala's solo just feels like one long series of feel good fluff to me. The issue about her brother's wedding was probably the cutest issue I've read from Marvel in a really long time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The entire story arc where Kamala tries cloning herself to handle all her responsibilities was just hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also I have the near entirety of Marvel's history at my fingertips for at least a month and it's almost a bit overwhelming.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Waffleman_ posted:

Also I have the near entirety of Marvel's history at my fingertips for at least a month and it's almost a bit overwhelming.

See you next month

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Roth posted:

Kamala's solo just feels like one long series of feel good fluff to me. The issue about her brother's wedding was probably the cutest issue I've read from Marvel in a really long time.

does it now

does it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Civil War 2 is an anomaly, and we will be back to our regularly scheduled stories about Kamala and the best supporting cast since Jaime being good people.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

We'll be glad to keep you shelter over at Squirrel Girl while things blow over.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Don't worry, Astonishing Ant-Man already destroyed my appreciation for fluff.

Speaking of which

:(

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Mr Hootington posted:

drat right! :shobon: :respek: :haw: Scientist Supreme! He was good in Avengers Academy as well, though admittedly I preferred the classic/CW1-era Yellowjacket outfit. He broke out the original Giant-Man outfit for that series IIRC. Stark even called him out on constantly changing his identity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Pureauthor posted:

The entire story arc where Kamala tries cloning herself to handle all her responsibilities was just hilarious.

EASY PEASY

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Dario the Wop posted:

drat right! :shobon: :respek: :haw: Scientist Supreme! He was good in Avengers Academy as well, though admittedly I preferred the classic/CW1-era Yellowjacket outfit. He broke out the original Giant-Man outfit for that series IIRC. Stark even called him out on constantly changing his identity.

that was a skrull!

I do want to say the post secret invasion, Dark Reign avengers books are really good. I am getting a little annoyed at the bendis era though. stuff happens in the books, but at the same time stuff doesn't happen. Although post secret invasion bendis avengers and dark avengers are very good and can see why people forget the past 49 issues of liquid poo poo that was new avengers pre secret invasion. Dark Avengers is the best book, but Mighty gives it a run for its money.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Rhyno posted:

Now I can't get Bruce Buffer's voice out of my head announcing him at a UFC fighter.

"Fighting out of the red corner.. Don DONG LOVER Gloverrrrrrrr."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hank Pym's biggest problem isn't the wife beater stigma but the fact that he's a scientist character whose entire gimmick has been diluted by too many other people with the same powers. The scientist characterization can't really carry him because there are so many scientist characters in the Marvel universe with an already established pecking order where Reed is at the top so he can never be the best at that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I personally think his biggest problem is that he has no established life or friends that aren't Avengers. He can't do the secret identity thing because everyone's known he's Ant/Giant-man forever. He can't do love interest stuff without tons of baggage due to Wasp. His best friends are all active superheroes. All he can really do in his personal life outside of Avengers stuff is hole up in a lab or teach at university, which isn't exactly sexy.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

I personally think his biggest problem is that he has no established life or friends that aren't Avengers. He can't do the secret identity thing because everyone's known he's Ant/Giant-man forever. He can't do love interest stuff without tons of baggage due to Wasp. His best friends are all active superheroes. All he can really do in his personal life outside of Avengers stuff is hole up in a lab or teach at university, which isn't exactly sexy.

I liked him as a superhero teacher at Avengers Academy. That seemed to work out great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lots of things in Avengers Academy were great. :sigh:

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

Giant Man didn't look too terrible in CW, I would be worried about the stretching powers though.

Fantastic Four (technically the second one) came out over a decade ago, I really don't think this will be a problem

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lurdiak posted:

If there's any justice in the world, some day Christos Gage will get to write Avengers Academy Forever.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Mr Hootington posted:

I find this theory fascinating, because literally all I remember from that run (for Pym) was SCIENTIST SUPREME and that scene that was meant to imply he was performing cunnilingus on his robot daughter.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Maybe I'm missing something, but is Ant Man set before CWII at present?

He takes the fall for his daughter, which is all well and good, but then Jen turns up to be his lawyer? Have I missed her going back to business as usual somewhere, or is this just another example of Civil War writers not communicating? I mean, Kamala's pretty bad in Captain Marvel, where her and Miles seem completely gung ho about thoughtcrimes, but in other books they're wrecks.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Edge & Christian posted:

I find this theory fascinating, because literally all I remember from that run (for Pym) was SCIENTIST SUPREME and that scene that was meant to imply he was performing cunnilingus on his robot daughter.

That was one of the worst series I've ever read. Easily the most ham-fisted attempt to rehab a character I've ever seen and that's counting itself when it had Quicksilver lie to the world about his past misdeeds.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Lurdiak posted:

It also had, probably, the only decent Hank Pym love interest story post-Wasp, and certainly in this century. His relationship with Tigra was so great, and it actually spun out the Secret Invasion goofiness into a solid story about a former abuser and former abuse victim developing a romance that boosted both characters.

Edge & Christian posted:

Wait, what?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When everything goes back to normal and the X-men are no longer separate but equal, the Jean Grey school should become a school for powered kids of all types, with a diverse staff. Hank can teach science and ethics there.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

twistedmentat posted:

Hank can teach science and ethics there.
He certainly can't be the worst Hank to have as ethics teacher

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I feel like making the Jean Grey school into a pseudo-Avengers Academy loses the point of it. It's supposed to be a mutant school for mutants to hang with other mutants and learn what being a mutant is (extending the minority analogy to stuff like black colleges), so throwing a bunch of Super-Dudes/Inhumans/whatever in the mix dilutes the point.

To me, that's the appeal of Avengers Academy and what made it different centrally from stories about whatever various mutant academy is currently present. Avengers Academy is the school of hard knocks that takes anyone, no matter what, with a hosed-up and morally grey staff, whilst Jean Grey/Charles Xavier/whatever is the school so mutants can learn all about the association between great power and great responsibility.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Except Spider-Man and the X-Men was pretty much the best Spider-Men and X-Men related comic in the past 5 years, so if we could have more of that, that'd be gravy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Pureauthor posted:

Except Spider-Man and the X-Men was pretty much the best Spider-Men and X-Men related comic in the past 5 years, so if we could have more of that, that'd be gravy.

I mean, that only worked because the entirety of Spider-Man's deal runs completely thematically in line with the X-Men - I even noted it in that post. Spider-Man is basically a minority struggle character anyways - which is why I always found it so bewildering (besides the overt racism) people were pissed about Miles, because Spider-Man's whole deal is that he's hated for who he is and people pre-judge him constantly, with the press framing him as a criminal for every action he takes no matter how virtuous!

Like, Spider-Man and the X-Men was so great not because it was funny or had a fun story, even though that's true, but because it was both an honest Spider-Man story and an honest X-Men story. It didn't feel like an X-Men story featuring Spider-Man or a Spider-Man story featuring the X-Men, and I would argue that's because the themes of both complimented each other.

I mean, Avengers Academy-ing the mutants probably would work and even probably would make good comics, but to me the appeal of the X-Men is in its minority allegory, which is something you'd lose if you broadened the focus from mutants.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Academy and Undercover were both great. Arena I could have done without, although it obviously does set up the initial plot for Undercover.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

The romance in mighty was weird, but I liked what Slott did with scientist supreme and making Pym the adventure scientist that pushes the boundaries. It just happens to be that sometimes that blows up in his face.

Slott's issues also have a great silver age vibe and the infinite avengers mansion is cool.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Hootington posted:

The romance in mighty was weird, but I liked what Slott did with scientist supreme and making Pym the adventure scientist that pushes the boundaries. It just happens to be that sometimes that blows up in his face.

so you like how Slott made Hank less distinct from Reed, huh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

WAR FOOT posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but is Ant Man set before CWII at present?

He takes the fall for his daughter, which is all well and good, but then Jen turns up to be his lawyer? Have I missed her going back to business as usual somewhere, or is this just another example of Civil War writers not communicating? I mean, Kamala's pretty bad in Captain Marvel, where her and Miles seem completely gung ho about thoughtcrimes, but in other books they're wrecks.

The recap page says explicitly it happens before Civil War II.

• Locked thread