Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, you want interceptor or ways to block people from your rapiers. Another interesting thing- RAW you can move and shoot those carriages since it's the crewman firing the gun and not the rapier.

Sivores posted:

So guys take a load of the list I think I'll be bringing for LVO, what are your thoughts besides it's cancer?

It's just a rough draft which is why it's under points.

CAD 1 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts
Librarian: 65
Scout squad:55
Space Marine Quad Mortar Battery 3 x Quad mortars: 180

CAD 2 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts

allied detachment 1 Space Marines - Raptors 300pts

total: 1730 pts

ITC allows experimental rules so it's legal for all intents and purposes.

Too bad you're not playing a heresy army, so you could have AP3 ontop of it all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Wouldn't it be T4 since you have 2 Marines to every gun?

Shooting at artillery is always T7, regardless of the amount of crew/attached characters.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Naramyth posted:

Shooting at artillery is always T7, regardless of the amount of crew/attached characters.

Somehow I've missed this. Maybe because I only have TFCs, and just assumed it was a majority thing.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Uroboros posted:

Somehow I've missed this. Maybe because I only have TFCs, and just assumed it was a majority thing.

It's pretty uncommon since most artillery is FW.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
X-posting because I am that bitter.

I finally figured out why I've been burned out on 40k and hamming in general. It's people who think that it's my job to build an army they can win against. People who want to control what I am allowed to put in my army, and then whine and bitch when I still beat them because I have a better army.

People who think that army building is all about just going online and looking at the latest FOTM army list.

Idiots who demand that everyone play the game the way that they want to play, and berate and belittle anyone who actually wants to win in a warhammer game.

I hate those loving people. And they are loving everywhere. I thought I could get away from them by switching to 30k. But no. Now they have infested the danish 30k scene with stupid loving rules like no allies, or other arbitrary restrictions like no fliers.

:negative:

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Honestly I find the game ten times more fun when everyone brings a standard force instead of formations and gimmicky death stars. These things seem to make the codex imbalances ten times worse.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

Sivores posted:

So guys take a load of the list I think I'll be bringing for LVO, what are your thoughts besides it's cancer?

It's just a rough draft which is why it's under points.

CAD 1 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts

CAD 2 Space Marines - Raptors 715 pts

allied detachment 1 Space Marines - Raptors 300pts

total: 1730 pts

ITC allows experimental rules so it's legal for all intents and purposes.

A Good Game TM

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
I tried Kill Team today. I knew my Dark Eldar weren't going to have a great showing, but I painted the models and I wanted to get some use out of them.

The folks at the store quickly learned that Marines can turn Kill Team into easy mode by running up close and throwing krak grenades like rice at weddings. Since each model is a unit unto itself, they all get short range Strength 6 AP4 shots that pretty much erase xenos. The Tau player couldn't stop Space Marines from getting to short range and beasting on them with grenades that wounded on 2s and bypassed their armor saves.

Another fun side effect is the krak grenades negating my Feel No Pain saves. I killed four vanguard veterans before the rest of them big-timed me with grenades lobbed from ruins. Guess my poo poo's going back in foam containers until I get a new codex in 2019. Goodbye ladies, I'll see you at the drug elf equivalent of the rainbow bridge~

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Snollygoster posted:

I tried Kill Team today. I knew my Dark Eldar weren't going to have a great showing, but I painted the models and I wanted to get some use out of them.

The folks at the store quickly learned that Marines can turn Kill Team into easy mode by running up close and throwing krak grenades like rice at weddings. Since each model is a unit unto itself, they all get short range Strength 6 AP4 shots that pretty much erase xenos. The Tau player couldn't stop Space Marines from getting to short range and beasting on them with grenades that wounded on 2s and bypassed their armor saves.

Another fun side effect is the krak grenades negating my Feel No Pain saves. I killed four vanguard veterans before the rest of them big-timed me with grenades lobbed from ruins. Guess my poo poo's going back in foam containers until I get a new codex in 2019. Goodbye ladies, I'll see you at the drug elf equivalent of the rainbow bridge~

Have you heard of Heralds of Ruin?

They made expanded rules called Kill Team before this new "Kill Team" or are they the same? Anyway heres a link http://heralds-of-ruin.blogspot.com/p/kill-team-rules.html They also make codex for each race to play kill team, I was looking at orcs https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0U3BBdJgFZ9WWdTc0RzYS14T2M/view Its all free there's just links to all the rules on google drive.
Heres also another link that explains it more, I think I was trying to find out what Kill Team box stuff is about : https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000:_Kill_Team_(HoR)/Tactics

quote:

The Kill Team: Heralds of Ruin Unofficial Warhammer 40,000 Supplement (from now on called Kill Team (HoR) for simplicity to differentiate from GW's own Kill-Team rules.) changes a lot of the usual dogmas about 40K that you need to revert to get into Kill Team - Don't get us wrong, it is still the same game, but the focus is shifted to a few key models instead of the usual bucketload of models, so you need to use a more focused mindset - Your "Heavy Support" might only be a couple of Devastators, and your "HQ" is usually something equivalent of Sergeants and Nobs. That said, because there is so few models, fewer AP/S and almost no Vehicles, the resilience of your models goes up in general. T 5 and up is suddenly king, and any Armour Save over 4+ is badass for most models. Guns tend to do the same - Because models often only hit one model at a time, Heavy Bolters suddenly have three chances to kill that goddamn Dire Avenger, where it would hit a unit in a usual game and maybe remove two if you are lucky. Also, even though it is not a written rule, many team leaders gain an extra wound in their statline, meaning they can take a little more damage.

They say on the website they made the rules just to go on top of any Warhammer rule book so technically you could easily also play this with Warhammer 30k also.

Is this the same "kill team" box set coming out soon?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 4, 2016

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Snollygoster posted:

On the plus side, your Space Drow look fantastic!

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
We used the new ruleset that dropped today. I really try to support game stores, but the black shirt was audibly frustrated that we weren't going to buy a $65 boxed set for a pamphlet of rules. There was also a kid who named his guerrilla fighter "Harambe" and was so proud of the joke he repeated it about five times to make sure it landed. It's "good" to see gaming stores haven't changed.

I don't think I'd play even with Heralds of Ruin, but thank you for the link.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Snollygoster posted:

Umm... since when can you use krak grenades for anything but CC attacks on vehicles? That a killteam specific rule?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Arven posted:

Umm... since when can you use krak grenades for anything but CC attacks on vehicles? That a killteam specific rule?

Krak is specifically listed in the core rules as being usable in both Shooting and Assault.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Arven posted:

They're definitely throwable. It should be one thrown per unit per shooting phase though...
Jesus. The wording in the kill team rulebook says "When deploying your Kill team and throughout the course of the game, each model is treated as a separate unit." RAW it sounds like they were playing correctly but that cannot be intended behavior.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Pendent posted:

They're definitely throwable. It should be one thrown per unit per shooting phase though...
Jesus. The wording in the kill team rulebook says "When deploying your Kill team and throughout the course of the game, each model is treated as a separate unit." RAW it sounds like they were playing correctly but that cannot be intended behavior.

"god damnit Titus, next time EVERYONE is bringing Krak grenades you fuckup"

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
HoR gets around this by having all grenades be a one-use item. If you want to have more, you have to buy them with points. Works a lot better.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
The other thing with Kill Team is since everyone's a separate unit, you don't get ablative wounds to protect your team leader so it's not often you get to Forge The Narrative with challenges. My hekatrix got her skull caved in with a krak grenade fastball, and the next turn the Space Marine team leader took a splinter pistol round between the eyes.

Edit: the Marine players were doing their Overwatch shots with krak grenades too.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe just say that one dude can throw a grenade per phase. It's clearly an oversight that GW didn't consider when they wrote the Kill Team rules. I'd say it might be worth shooting GW an e-mail about it to get some clarification, but at this point their answer would just be something along the lines of "They're super jazzed to be working independently for a change and are really taking the initiative!" or some poo poo.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Honestly it seems like just sticking with Heralds of Ruin is the way to go if you want to play a Kill team game. Maybe use the missions from the Kill Team book since they didn't look to bad.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Finished 30 guants this week, going to try and paint 2 Malanthropes and a Carnifex next week.

The base colors are not great but I wanted it to be easy for my opponent to tell where one unit ends and another starts by using different colored bases so I made them a little britter than I normally would.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
^those gaunts look good! I don't like the blue baserims, although I'm guessing that's to tell squads apart. Other than that they're dope.

The houserules that NOVA used for killteam was making grenade shooting attacks one use only, and maxing teams out at 20 models. I liked this a lot; my Sternguard all pitched grenades at an Ironstrider thingie and then used their poison 2+ rounds on all the scampering Admech nerds. Then they all died and it was just my lone razorback ineffectively shooting skitarii in cover while they hid for their lives against something they couldn't hurt til turn 7. It was silly as hell but I'd def play again.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

^those gaunts look good! I don't like the blue baserims, although I'm guessing that's to tell squads apart. Other than that they're dope.

Yes the baserims are for telling squads apart, mostly for my opponents sake. Whenever I play against my friends guard it drives me insane that I can't tell who is in what unit and so forth so I thought I would make it easy. Maybe blue is a bad color, maybe I will should use more muted colors?

JesusIsTehCool fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Sep 4, 2016

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'd have started with colours complimentary to the army, like red or bone.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I'd go with different carapace markings myself, though maybe that wouldn't be quite as easy to tell on a glance.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Hamshot posted:

I'd have started with colours complimentary to the army, like red or bone.

A simple number on the base perhaps? Or a minor detail or bit that is unique to that squad but is only cosmetic.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I usually see a colored stripe on the back of the base.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
I think you should have a marking on the carapace as well. When units pile in it can be difficult to spot the bases.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's what I was wondering about with Sisters - since each model is a unit how would you resolve Acts of Faith that are unit buffs?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Attestant posted:

I'd go with different carapace markings myself, though maybe that wouldn't be quite as easy to tell on a glance.

Yeah, this is the pro maneuver I feel. If you like bugs, look at different beetle shells. Some have little spots near the ridges you could do without needing much in the way of fancy brushwork.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

Snollygoster posted:

Oh my firey gently caress, everything about the HoR Killteam is superior in every way to GW's abortion (especially the Ork codex; it still has Cowardly Grots! on Kanz, but otherwise is simpler and fluffier).

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

SRM posted:

Yeah, this is the pro maneuver I feel. If you like bugs, look at different beetle shells. Some have little spots near the ridges you could do without needing much in the way of fancy brushwork.

I feel like doing some thing with the carapace would be too subtle for what i want. I want someone who has never played my army to be able to easily tell what belongs with what unit.

I'm going to play today and if the base rims clash too much I think I'll paint them sand, like the rest of my stuff, with colored stripes.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Black base rims uber alles :colbert:

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Orks-Kill-Team

This Ork Kill Team isn't even legal! Nobz and Burna Boyz are both Elites choices, which you are only allowed 0-1 of in Kill Team. A fantastic example of the attention and care the Orks receive.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Orks-Kill-Team

This Ork Kill Team isn't even legal! Nobz and Burna Boyz are both Elites choices, which you are only allowed 0-1 of in Kill Team. A fantastic example of the attention and care the Orks receive.

I noticed that too.

Guess I have to either bring 1 max unit of over-kitted nobz or a ton of boyz or gretchin. Oh boy, more spamming boyz.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Floppychop posted:

I noticed that too.

Guess I have to either bring 1 max unit of over-kitted nobz or a ton of boyz or gretchin. Oh boy, more spamming boyz.

I'll probably try out Deffkoptas, just can't figure out what else I would include.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Does anyone actually believe it's OK to justify a faction's poor performance with fluff?

I keep seeing tons of completely legitimate CSM criticisms, which are then invariably bombarded by shitposters who bring up fluff to explain terrible codex design and attendant poor TT performance.

"Why don't CSM get drop pods or Razorbacks? Why do loyalists keep getting new toys that CSM should also have some variant of?" HURR DURR DARK MECHANICUM AND WARPSMITHS

SHOULDN'T HAVE TURNED FROM TEH EMPRAH'S LIGHT AMIRITE

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Does anyone actually believe it's OK to justify a faction's poor performance with fluff?

I keep seeing tons of completely legitimate CSM criticisms, which are then invariably bombarded by shitposters who bring up fluff to explain terrible codex design and attendant poor TT performance.

"Why don't CSM get drop pods or Razorbacks? Why do loyalists keep getting new toys that CSM should also have some variant of?" HURR DURR DARK MECHANICUM AND WARPSMITHS

SHOULDN'T HAVE TURNED FROM TEH EMPRAH'S LIGHT AMIRITE

It's worse when units are lovely at doing things that the fluff specifically says they're good at. Mostly Tyranids.

Oh, Genestealers are experts at hiding making surprise attacks in close quarters? So... should they have stealth, shrouded, or the equivalent of stealth grenades? NOPE

Carnifexes are near unstoppable killing machines that can tear anything up? Well, T6, 4W 3+ seems sufficient. And no need to give them more than WS3 and 3 attacks.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Fluff wise a reduced variety makes sense. An incredible (and very bureaucratic) logistics chain supports the Astartes and once cut loose from the Imperium, materiel would only degrade with time and use. Many of the legions aren't known for their discipline so it would be odd to see World Eaters fielding some of the more complex or hard to maintain stuff.

Also, CSM is meant to make up for it with stuff the loyalists don't get. One of the key problems is splitting the CSM and Daemon codexes since that reduces flexibility. We are really hurting for cheap ways (both points and cost) to get troops across the battlefield (which makes bikes and spawn ultra good), so foot slogging a CC orientated army in a shooting edition gets painful.

Also, some units are just awful, so that doesn't help. GW's attempts to fix them with formations isn't helpful since it means buying more models of stuff that's garbage outside of the formation, so you've got a bunch of stuff you'd never use outside of Apoc.

I wouldn't want everything that the Astartes have, but a buff to Possessed, a complete redesign of mutilators, a tweak to Dark Apostles (they're expensive points wise and take up a HQ slot with not much room for customisation), more Land Raider variants and some form of Drop Pod like transport (could be a Chaos altar that tears into real space and creates dangerous terrain after that).

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Played my third game win my bugs today, they remain undefeated! Faced off against my friends orks and we were pretty evenly matched, really felt like the game could have gone one way or the other.

My sorry half painted army

Turn one was pretty uneventful for both of us. Neither of us were bothered by the blue bases.

By turn three we were both glad I had color coded the guys because I had 6 units in one combat with his orks in the middle. MVP of the game were the gargoyles who blinded the orks 3 times before being completely murdered.

I was so stoked to see some of my guys on the table I came home and pumped out a carnifex, who I assumed was going to be garbage and ran just for funnies has carried more than his weight both times he has seen battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

IG armies should be completely random and have to roll on a list to see what you get that game.
Don't got the models? Tough. Warp storms are a bitch my friend.

• Locked thread