Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

limaCAT posted:

It will be also handled like No Man's Sky were the UI will stop in place and zoom out to write "milestone reached: you peed your pants / your pilot peed his pants" so that you will end up diving into the sun anyway.

At least that will dry out your pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

X-Ultron posted:

Thanks for the recommendation! I have plenty of credits thanks to the CG earlier this week, so I'll give the Vulture a go.

Side note: seriously, new players, partake in the CGs that take place in the bubble. Very nice way to build up your credit balance doing things you'll routinely do in the game anyway.

Truth. I handed over roughly 390K of bounties in LFT 133 and I went into the top 50% with a bonus of 12 million!

if you do go for bounties though, for the love of gently caress go in solo play. I went in open and all it was was a dozen players all circling around and whenever a pirate finally showed up it was like dropping a hapless henchman into a piranha tank, poor bastard barely had time to deploy his weapons before exploding.

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
Have those CG's paid out already, is is that your current position?

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
I'm a stupid dumby and can't wrap my head around ship outfitting. I spent ~3 hours yesterday trying to get my Cobra MkIII to be able to jump between Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716 and when I finally got it to work in one jump I could only carry 3t in cargo which makes it pretty pointless. :( Do I just have the wrong spaceboat? I just wanted to try and grind out some early game money instead of bounty hunting because I always get 1/2 shotted when I try bounty hunting. I have ~500k credits at the moment.

I suck at spaceboats.

The bright side is, I tried mining for the first time and I seem to really enjoy it. Another question: Is exploring 100% pointless without the infinity range scanner (which costs 1.5m) ?

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Emnity posted:

It's not paid out yet, but it's creeping up fairly quickly. Still in the top 50%, although I'm up to 1.5 million in bounties now.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

AnimalChin posted:

I'm a stupid dumby and can't wrap my head around ship outfitting. I spent ~3 hours yesterday trying to get my Cobra MkIII to be able to jump between Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716 and when I finally got it to work in one jump I could only carry 3t in cargo which makes it pretty pointless. :( Do I just have the wrong spaceboat? I just wanted to try and grind out some early game money instead of bounty hunting because I always get 1/2 shotted when I try bounty hunting. I have ~500k credits at the moment.

I suck at spaceboats.

The bright side is, I tried mining for the first time and I seem to really enjoy it. Another question: Is exploring 100% pointless without the infinity range scanner (which costs 1.5m) ?

It's definitely not the wrong ship — if I remember correctly, it's only ~10Ly between them, which is a pretty trivial distance even for a fully burdened Cobra (like this one). I'm guessing that, if that's the extent of your wallet, you haven't been able to tap into the higher-rated FSDs yet? If you can't afford that yet, try the indirect route to longer ranges: downgrade other equipment to D-rating to get as light as possible and down-size power generation and power distribution — nothing you're fitting as a cargo carrier should need much of either. If not that, are you accidentally using economic routing rather than fastest (not that it should make much of a difference between those two systems)?

That said, though, if you're doing the Wu-HIP bounce, ignore the actual cargo missions and concentrate on data delivery. They take no space, and while they don't pay as much each, you can easily fill up your mission queue with them and get the same amount of cash out of each trip. So really, only having 3t cargo wouldn't be much of a hindrance to get some cash flow going.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Sep 4, 2016

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what you have on that Cobra but IIRC mine had like 14 ly range with minimal upgrades when I went to Wu Guinagi, and ended up at like 22 by the time I could afford an A class FSD. The ~11 ly jump to HIP 10716 can be done with a slightly upgraded Sidewinder so with a Cobra it should be even better, just get some D class upgrades. If you can get the money together try something like this as a base setup (add/subtract cargo space or fuel scoops as you want)?

Having some cargo space helps because the cargo missions (4 tons+ usually) come up very often, so you can get a few more bucks per jump without mission board shenanigans. Just learn how to escape NPCs interdicting you on the way to the stations because you'll lose the mission cargo if you get blown up. Although if you want to skip the cargo deliveries altogether, just do it with a Sidewinder with some D class mods, it's cheaper that way.

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 4, 2016

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Okay so I started on Engineers on the advice I got here earlier. I have Tod McQuinn, Elvira Martuuk, and Selene Jean at 5 and I have to do a pile of traveling to unlock Professor Palin.

I have a Python fitted with 6D thrusters, a 5A power plant and a 6A power distributor. Do I want to upgrade those to max size and rank before I waste hard to get resources on level 5 mods? Right now I have a 5A FSD level 5 modded with not the best stats, but I get 33.26LY Jump range empty and 23.48LY with 225 tons of cargo. The only downside I see to bumping up my distributor, power plant and thrusters to max size A rank is a couple LY off my jump distance, but I can make most if not all of that up with a better FSD roll.

Also, as for what upgrades to use, The general consensus seems to be Charge Enhanced distributor and Dirty Drive Tuning. However, since the Python has absolutely piles of extra power it seems with a 7a fitted to it I was considering going with a Low Emissions power plant to make up for the heat of basically every other thing I am modding which will use more heat than normal.

Any advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Do I lose micromaterials and data when I die, or just stuff in my hold? Can I go out 5k then suicide without losing my scans and materials?

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 4, 2016

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Emnity posted:

Bounty goal just completed, top 25% with 2.5 million for a reward of 20 million. Niiiiiice.

Since I'm now Space Nouveau Riche, I figure I should indulge in some space madness, plus I want to unlock some engineers. Which is the better explorer, the Asp or the Diamondback? And any recommendations for outfitting beyond the usual "get best power/FSD/scanners and don't strip out the shields"?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

BitBasher posted:

EDIT: Do I lose micromaterials and data when I die, or just stuff in my hold? Can I go out 5k then suicide without losing my scans and materials?

You don't lose materials or data on death, only cargo hold contents.

You also lose exploration scan data, so if you want to use that somewhere don't blow up.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

BitBasher posted:

You do not lose your engineer micromaterials or data when you die. I've confirmed this by slamming my cutter into a planet because I failed to realize just how much higher that planet's gravity was compared to what I was used to. Feel free to get your 5k march out and blow yourself up real good once you can confirm that the game registered 5k.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

MadJackMcJack posted:

Bounty goal just completed, top 25% with 2.5 million for a reward of 20 million. Niiiiiice.

Since I'm now Space Nouveau Riche, I figure I should indulge in some space madness, plus I want to unlock some engineers. Which is the better explorer, the Asp or the Diamondback? And any recommendations for outfitting beyond the usual "get best power/FSD/scanners and don't strip out the shields"?

Annaconda with mods, duh.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

MadJackMcJack posted:

It's my personal opinion, but I find Asp and DBX close enough to go with which ship you just like better. The Asp can pull slightly longer jump ranges and can fit a bigger fuel scoop (more/bigger internals), but if you're not in it for the min-maxing go with the ship you think looks cooler for screenshot simulating (DBX duh).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

MadJackMcJack posted:

Natsuumi posted:

It's my personal opinion, but I find Asp and DBX close enough to go with which ship you just like better. The Asp can pull slightly longer jump ranges and can fit a bigger fuel scoop (more/bigger internals), but if you're not in it for the min-maxing go with the ship you think looks cooler for screenshot simulating (DBX duh).

Bananaboat is also easier to land on planets. With engineers, the jump range thing is negligible to meaningless once you put on a rank 4 or 5 FSD mod. I would recommend this fitting. If you want an extra SRV, switch the shields for a 3C bi-weave and slap a 4G srv bay. You can also overcharge a 3A, or maybe even a 2A, powerplant with that fitting or drop the weapons for extra distance. The heatsink launcher is superfluous, but whatevs...

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Ugh, I hate the conundrum I'm in.

I'm in an A-class Diamondback Scout and I love it to bits. Quick, unique looking build, paintjob, beam lasers and dual 2C frag cannons. It's hardly top tier but it's probably the most fun I've had 'flying a ship in space'. It also has a great jump range and decent cargo space if I wanna go places, and I can generally hold my own in a mission-spawned ambush.

But now that I've gotten 18 mil from the little CG payout, I'm thinking about a DBX or a Vulture.

I don't necessarily want a pure combat ship (because I want to do more than doot around in RES zones), so I'm averse to the Vulture outright. While it's certainly much more durable, on paper: the jump range is poo poo; it's apparently SLOWER than the DBS in terms of speed; while it has 2 large hardpoints, the options are rather limited, much more so with how little power it has overall.

The Diamondback Explorer on the other hand, is significantly weaker in terms of shields (Is 'shieldless' a viable option?) and hull, and much more boat-like in movement and speed, and as far as I know, 2 large hardpoints are better than 1L&2M hardpoints.

So now I don't know what to do. Generally, I guess I'm a bad pilot: Flight assist on with mouse & keyboard, and in a 1v1 (vs AI) dogfight I just loop around until I can get to their backside and blast them, or the occasional 'both keep flying past each other' jousting moments. I don't know what kind of crazy space-drift moves I could pull with a Vulture with that extra +1 increase in maneuverability from scout to vulture, but I'm sure I'd get my butt kicked a little harder in a DBX than a vulture.

What I want is a ship that can handle sudden, unwanted combat. I do okay in a scout, got my rear end kicked in an (under-equipped) DBX, which made me rage-sell it. I'm sure I could do it with a vulture, but that piss-poor jump range, low fuel tank, and honestly I'm not sure how quickly 2 burst lasers can take out enemies, even if they are Class 3.

So yeah, that's where i'm at. I feel like I'd be more 'at home' with a DBX, but then again, I'm an inexperienced scrub so I'd love input.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

What are your experiences with the Faster Boot Sequence FSD? Does the shorter FSD spool up time affect supercruise and hyperjump? And is it be worth to go with the shorter spool up in the bubble instead of the increased range?

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Einbauschrank posted:

What are your experiences with the Faster Boot Sequence FSD? Does the shorter FSD spool up time affect supercruise and hyperjump? And is it be worth to go with the shorter spool up in the bubble instead of the increased range?

Faster boot sequence does nothing useful. It boots up your FSD faster if you had it powered off. Only worthwhile FSD mod is increased range.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Morter posted:

I'm in an A-class Diamondback Scout and I love it to bits. Quick, unique looking build, paintjob, beam lasers and dual 2C frag cannons. It's hardly top tier but it's probably the most fun I've had 'flying a ship in space'. It also has a great jump range and decent cargo space if I wanna go places, and I can generally hold my own in a mission-spawned ambush.

But now that I've gotten 18 mil from the little CG payout, I'm thinking about a DBX or a Vulture.

I don't necessarily want a pure combat ship (because I want to do more than doot around in RES zones), so I'm averse to the Vulture outright. While it's certainly much more durable, on paper: the jump range is poo poo; it's apparently SLOWER than the DBS in terms of speed; while it has 2 large hardpoints, the options are rather limited, much more so with how little power it has overall.

The Diamondback Explorer on the other hand, is significantly weaker in terms of shields (Is 'shieldless' a viable option?) and hull, and much more boat-like in movement and speed, and as far as I know, 2 large hardpoints are better than 1L&2M hardpoints.

So now I don't know what to do. Generally, I guess I'm a bad pilot: Flight assist on with mouse & keyboard, and in a 1v1 (vs AI) dogfight I just loop around until I can get to their backside and blast them, or the occasional 'both keep flying past each other' jousting moments. I don't know what kind of crazy space-drift moves I could pull with a Vulture with that extra +1 increase in maneuverability from scout to vulture, but I'm sure I'd get my butt kicked a little harder in a DBX than a vulture.

What I want is a ship that can handle sudden, unwanted combat. I do okay in a scout, got my rear end kicked in an (under-equipped) DBX, which made me rage-sell it. I'm sure I could do it with a vulture, but that piss-poor jump range, low fuel tank, and honestly I'm not sure how quickly 2 burst lasers can take out enemies, even if they are Class 3.

So yeah, that's where i'm at. I feel like I'd be more 'at home' with a DBX, but then again, I'm an inexperienced scrub so I'd love input.

The vulture is the best combat fighter in the game, it's not designed to really do anything else. The DBE is better for exploring but for a "cheap" option if you can't afford the Bananaconda is either an AspE or the T6. I did a ton of exploring in a T6, it's a really decent ship somehow.

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

Natsuumi posted:

Faster boot sequence does nothing useful. It boots up your FSD faster if you had it powered off. Only worthwhile FSD mod is increased range.

This is ... underwhelming. Thx for sparing me the disappointment.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Einbauschrank posted:

This is ... underwhelming. Thx for sparing me the disappointment.

They've got decent (as in, very non-grindy) materials requirements for quickly skipping your way through the engineer ranks, but that's about it. :v:

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Dreadwroth posted:

The vulture is the best combat fighter in the game, it's not designed to really do anything else. The DBE is better for exploring but for a "cheap" option if you can't afford the Bananaconda is either an AspE or the T6. I did a ton of exploring in a T6, it's a really decent ship somehow.

Well I don't want to explore so much as do trade missions between ports and junk.

(And wreck everyone who tries to give me poo poo about it)

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Morter posted:

Here's what a lovely pilot can do with a Vulture: https://www.twitch.tv/kurrdelacruz/v/87242156

Vultures are without a doubt one of the best ships in the game. Start considering getting into the engineers content, even the most basic level 1 upgrades are extremely good for any ship and they take very little in the way of effort to unlock/craft.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So, are these CGs all over with now? Decided to try getting back into this game this weekend...

Schindler's Fist
Jul 22, 2004
Weasels! Get 'em off me! Aaaa!
Picked up 25 mil from being in the top 75% of the Lavian brandy run CG. I went by twice and dropped off some booze.

I passed 100 mil for the first time, and I just bought my Python. Feels good man.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Are the Python and anaconda buyable without some government rep? I know this is a stupid question. I want to bang out some sothis runs until I can afford one of these and all the fittings. How much do you guys drop on an explorer-conda?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are the Python and anaconda buyable without some government rep? I know this is a stupid question. I want to bang out some sothis runs until I can afford one of these and all the fittings. How much do you guys drop on an explorer-conda?

Explora-conda is fairly cheap to fit out. A couple hundred million at most should be fine.

Edit: Something like this to start with: https://coriolis.io/outfit/anaconda/0pftfFklndCsxf5----------------3j----0s0s45v42i2f.Iw18ZwAzkA==.Aw18ZwIzkA==

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 5, 2016

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Edit: I've been running this conda for Sothis. It took three runs to pay for itself and turn a profit.

AnimalChin posted:

I'm a stupid dumby and can't wrap my head around ship outfitting. I spent ~3 hours yesterday trying to get my Cobra MkIII to be able to jump between Wu Guinagi and HIP 10716 and when I finally got it to work in one jump I could only carry 3t in cargo which makes it pretty pointless. :(

I did it in a stripped sidewinder with a 2B FSD. With a 59k investment into a 4D FSD you could do better than me in a Cobra MkIII. Hauling missions are a nice boost, though the ones I could take were extremely rare. It's the data delivery missions you want. Having cargo space just means you'll need to flip the board slightly less and can take data missions that award commodities.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 5, 2016

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

So has anyone else been getting missions via direct message from NPCs, like so?

I've never heard of this, and my google-fu doesn't bring it up.

Also, tried out the vulture...wasn't very impressed (:ssh: because I'm not that good at it). Sold back everything (including modules, individually), and made up the loss during a little conflict zone run. Going to try a fully kitted DBX later once I work out where to find all the good stuff

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
If you're looking for a solid can-do-a-bit-of-everything ship in your approximte pay bracket, I'd recommend having a look at the Asp Explorer. It's a big fatty with a hilarious farty engine, yes, but it's got a giantass 32-ton fuel tank, can be fit to carry around 80-100t of cargo, and has enough guns to handle most 'surprises' - though it's definitely not deisgned for all-out combat like the Vulture is. Basically it's like the Cobra MKIII's big brother, with the added bonus of having one of the longest jump ranges in the game.

Also, I seriously recommend you start working your way up the Imperial ranks - the Imperial Clipper, or iClipper to friends, sounds like it'd be just up your alley once you can afford it (~25M for the hull). It's a multipurpose ship, yes, but it's hilariously fast for its size, is highly flexible, and has a surprising amount of firepower, as long as you can handle the typically imperial 'drifty' flight model and don't mind needing large docking pads. Lovely ship and I had fun flying it for a couple of months in my earlier career.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Plus Imperial rank gives you access to possibly one of the most fun ships in the game, the Imperial Courier.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Morter posted:

So has anyone else been getting missions via direct message from NPCs, like so?

I've never heard of this, and my google-fu doesn't bring it up.

Also, tried out the vulture...wasn't very impressed (:ssh: because I'm not that good at it). Sold back everything (including modules, individually), and made up the loss during a little conflict zone run. Going to try a fully kitted DBX later once I work out where to find all the good stuff

I got some of those. Of course always in the worst possible moment and with lovely payouts. :frontear:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Blind Rasputin posted:

Are the Python and anaconda buyable without some government rep?

I just bought a Python after a 138m CG payout and have no rep with anyone. I did, however, go to one of the cheaper systems to buy it and saved 5 or 6 million.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
The Clipper and Courier are both love, once you mod out their halfassed jump range to something more tolerable. They go fast, look badass, have good weapon loads (though the clipper's wing mounts beg for turrets, which may not be a good fit for everyone) and are generally fantastic at what they do. I don't have any personal experience with the Cutter, however, and when it was released I only heard lukewarm things about it. Don't know whether it ever got improved afterwards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

The Clipper and Courier are both love, once you mod out their halfassed jump range to something more tolerable. They go fast, look badass, have good weapon loads (though the clipper's wing mounts beg for turrets, which may not be a good fit for everyone) and are generally fantastic at what they do. I don't have any personal experience with the Cutter, however, and when it was released I only heard lukewarm things about it. Don't know whether it ever got improved afterwards.

If you can deal with slow-rear end ships, the Cutter works astonishingly well as exploration-ship. If you mod it like hell. Like the Anaconda, you'll just have to learn the drop-maneuver: If you see your target as a hollow ball on your alignment-radar, don't waste time with aligning in supercruise, just drop out, align in normal flight and re-enter supercruise.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Any improvements for a purely engineer farming boat over this Python? I figured outside of farming T9s I could swap out the weapons for a few mining lasers.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Mailer posted:

Any improvements for a purely engineer farming boat over this Python? I figured outside of farming T9s I could swap out the weapons for a few mining lasers.

The A-rank reactor is a big jump in price, and you don't ever really need A-rank sensors. You do want an A-rank limpet controller for the lifetime and range though, and swapping those around makes it about 50M cheaper. You can also downrank the scoop to a B to save 7 more million, but that's more personal taste at that point.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Libluini posted:

If you can deal with slow-rear end ships, the Cutter works astonishingly well as exploration-ship. If you mod it like hell. Like the Anaconda, you'll just have to learn the drop-maneuver: If you see your target as a hollow ball on your alignment-radar, don't waste time with aligning in supercruise, just drop out, align in normal flight and re-enter supercruise.

And if you're not exploring, the Cutter is great for trading, missions, etc (so long as you can land on a large pad). I love my Cutter SO MUCH, although it was an incredible bitch to get. Aside from everything else, it just looks so drat cool, inside and out. But yes, it really needs the level 5 frameshift range mod.

So, like a huge nerd this weekend, I bought Voice Attack and some voice packs, and have spent a stupid amount of time tinkering with everything to get it just the way I like it. But it's pretty incredible. It sure adds a lot of life to the game to give voice commands and have my "crew" respond. Especially when one of them is William Shatner.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Can confirm that Cutters own.

On the subject, are Prismatic shields better than Biweaves on a Cutter?

If so, what do I do after pledging to Aisling Duval? From what I've heard it's basically 'wait 3 weeks, then go kill some things' but I'm not clear on whether there are particular things I need to kill or particular places I need to kill them.

Once I have prismatics fitted will I lose them if I die and no longer qualify to buy them?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Jack the Lad posted:

Can confirm that Cutters own.

On the subject, are Prismatic shields better than Biweaves on a Cutter?

If so, what do I do after pledging to Aisling Duval? From what I've heard it's basically 'wait 3 weeks, then go kill some things' but I'm not clear on whether there are particular things I need to kill or particular places I need to kill them.

Once I have prismatics fitted will I lose them if I die and no longer qualify to buy them?

Prismatics are tougher, but slower to recharge and to go online (because theyre tougher and thus need longer to recharge to 50%). So you should only use them if you go full out shield tank and are able to keep them online at all cost. Once prismatics drop, you can go shopping before theyre full again. An ally with an array of healing lasers helps greatly (until it gets nerfed, its hillariously broken right now).

Easiest way to get faction is to kill faction ships of opposing powerplay factions and mainfactions (not an opposing empire-loyal powerplay-faction, this would drop your empire ratings) in THEIR systems.
NOT in YOURS.
Each kill of a faction-ship nets you 30 merits, and you need 750 i think to reach rank 3, so 25 kills and youre set.
Get an interdictor and select an enemy-powerplay-faction system with a non-enemy-powerplay-faction system in jumprange to repair/refuel.
A word of warning, you will be wanted and hunted by the police upon your first kill, so build around a heavy alpha strike tactic as you cannot allow a fight to take longer than 30 seconds before you are swarmed by system authority.

Once you have prismatics they stay with you unless you sell them.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SirPenguin posted:

I was lead to believe that exploration didn't pay for poo poo, but I just came back from a really casual 3-day expedition and made $4mil real easy. And that's in a Cobra!

I immediately went back out into the black. I had hoped to explore the sweet witch head nebula but it's all blocked off by unknown permits. Out of all the things we brought with us to space, couldn't we have left red tape behind :smith:

4 million in three days is a really lovely payoff, most other activities can earn that much in an hour or two with the right ship. Exploration is a really good way for newer players to make money though, because it's not really limited by your ship so you can pull in solid money even with just a Sidewinder or Hauler

• Locked thread